Games 35 & 36: Georgia vs Portugal live from the Arena AufSchalke ITV1 8pm AND Czechia vs Turkey live from the Volksparkstadion ITV4 8pm

Coulthard's Jaw

What will be the result  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

• Georgia win
    • Draw
    • Portugal win
  2. 2. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/06/24 at 18:59

md3_geotur.jpeg?imwidth=2048

Possible line-ups

Georgia: Mamardashvili; Shengelia, Dvali, Kashia, Kverkvelia, Gocholeishvili; Kiteishvili, Kochorashvili, Chakvetadze; Kvaratskhelia, Zivzivadze
Misses next match if booked: Gvelesiani, Kashia, Kochorashvili, Kverkvelia, Mekvabishvili

Portugal: Diogo Costa; António Silva, Danilo, Gonçalo Inácio; Nélson Semedo, Palhinha, João Neves, Dalot; João Félix, Ronaldo, Francisco Conceição
Suspended: Rafael Leão
Misses next match if booked: Francisco Conceição, João Palhinha

Portugal are unsurprisingly the big favourites, with the Opta supercomputer handing them a 75.8% chance of victory.

Mark Pougatch presents, with analysis from Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Ange Postecoglou, and commentary by

Clive-Tyldesley-and-Ally-McCoist-1200x63

md3_czetur.jpeg?imwidth=2048

Possible line-ups

Czechia: Staněk; Holeš, Hranáč, Krejčí; Coufal, Souček, Barák, Provod, Douděra; Hložek, Chytil
Misses next match if booked: Coufal, Holeš, Jurásek, Provod, Schick, Souček

Türkiye: Altay Bayındır; Mert Müldür, Merih Demiral, Kaan Ayhan, Ferdi Kadıoğlu; İsmail Yüksek, Hakan Çalhanoğlu; İrfan Can Kahveci, Arda Güler, Kenan Yıldız; Barış Alper Yılmaz
Suspended: Abdülkerim Bardakcı
Misses next match if booked: Samet Akaydin, Hakan Çalhanoğlu, Zeki Çelik

czech-republic-vs-turkey-prediction-opta

Mark Pougatch presents, with analysis from Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Ange Postecoglou, and commentary by Joe Speight and Andros Townsend

image.png.e4e9c470998232081fe3b532686a6365.png

Portugal fine, draw good for Turkey, the other two ruddy need to win

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronaldo has too much player power. Martinez confirmed he would start and used some reason about him not playing one of the pre-season games, but the real reason is Ronaldo is demanding to play. They are group winners, so why not start Ramos at CF who has proven in his limited game time for Portugal he can score goals. I get he is a great but this why I personally think it will be better for the team when he retires.

I expect that the Czechia - Turkiye will be the most furious and attacking match of the third gaming day. It's literally all or nothing for the Czechs, I was impressed with their shot numbers against Georgia. But the Turks are unlikely to play to hold the score.

I will be surprised if Portugal messes up with Georgia. The Georgians play bravely, but the class and experience of the Portuguese should make the difference

24 минуты назад, ReggaeBwoy сказал:

Ronaldo has too much player power. Martinez confirmed he would start and used some reason about him not playing one of the pre-season games, but the real reason is Ronaldo is demanding to play. They are group winners, so why not start Ramos at CF who has proven in his limited game time for Portugal he can score goals. I get he is a great but this why I personally think it will be better for the team when he retires.

For me, Ronaldo is a great example of how any person loses the ability to evaluate himself soberly and not listen to outside opinions. Although Ronaldo loved dribbling at Man United, I don't remember him doing much harm to the team's performance. He became Madrid's top scorer for several years, easily overtaking Raul. And his selfishness was forgiven for this phenomenal finishing. But looks like he cannot accept the fact that his best years are over. He is phenomenal for his age, but seriously, enough. This number of offsides and now missed chances looks pathetic. Even his passion for unsuccessfully taking freekicks became a meme even in his best years. He achieved greatness because of his ego, and the ego is not going to back down :D 

Even when Portugal rotate their team, Ronaldo still has to start. I think we know who actually manages this team.

Georgia to lose 2-0 and bow out, and Türkiye to beat Czechia in the 'Use our proper names please' Derby.

Here we go \o/

image.png.5ade981be022990eb40c2c41e1a15a4a.png

Pretty straightforward.

1. Portugal have won the group.
2. Turkey are runners-up if they avoid defeat.
3. Georgia and Czech Republic are both guaranteed to qualify if they win, but guaranteed to go out if they don't.
4. Turkey could lose and still go through from 3rd, but only if Georgia don't win and only if they don't lose by more than two goals and finish with a worse GD than Hungary.

And then the R16 bracket will be finalised.

If Georgia beat Portugal OR Czech Republic beat Turkey by only 1-2 goals... then the third place team in this group goes through.  The groups providing the 3rd place teams would be CDEF.  And the 1st v 3rd matchups are:

• Spain v Czech Repulic/Georgia/Turkey
  • England v Slovakia
  • Romania v Netherlands
  • Portugal v Slovenia

Otherwise it's ACDE providing the third place teams, and Hungary would get through at the expense of the team in this group.  And then the 1st v 3rd matchups are:

• Spain v Slovakia
  • England v Netherlands
  • Romania v Slovenia
  • Portugal v Hungary

And then we're done.  Well done if you stuck with it.

Edited by Rob1981

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

If all this whets your appetite for 2026... 

• Choosing the best four third place teams from six groups can only be done in 15 different ways. 
  • Choosing the best eight third place teams from 12 groups can be done in 495 different ways.

You've got your work cut out then! :D 

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I want Czechia to win, mostly because I don't want to see England get rewarded for their rubbish performances.

Isn't it the other way?

If Czechia wins, third placed team from this group goes through and England plays Slovakia?

If they don't win, England plays Netherlands?

Assuming Georgia doesn't beat Portugal, obviously.

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Isn't it the other way?

If Czechia wins, third placed team from this group goes through and England plays Slovakia?

If they don't win, England plays Netherlands?

Assuming Georgia doesn't beat Portugal, obviously.

Oh, right. Should have gone with @Rob1981 analysis, not @Astafjevs

Goal difference makes a difference in that game though. Anyways, I'm hoping for an England vs Netherlands matchup in the next round.

4 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Harsh. The tournament has been brilliant except for the last round of the group stage.

I must have been choosing the bad games to watch but at least I saw a goal a minute ago. Shock score so far.

Just now, TalkSport said:

Huh? Turkey beat them 3-1 so get 2nd don’t they?

Yeah, it's h2h first. But probably doesn't get updated on live tables until the group actually finishes.

Btw, they actually gave the game Hungary's qualification depends on to a ref named Istvan Kovacs. :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Wait, Georgia lost to Turkey so Turkey would be ahead right?

Just now, TalkSport said:

Huh? Turkey beat them 3-1 so get 2nd don’t they?

Oh yeah, ignore me.  I had to get something wrong eventually.  I'm getting my Turkeys and Czech Republics confused again.