Game 41: France vs Belgium live from the Düsseldorf Arena. ITV1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/07/24 at 15:59

euro_24_-_2_players_h2h_-_facebook_16_.j

Possible line-ups

France: Maignan; Koundé, Upamecano, Saliba, Hernández; Kanté, Tchouaméni, Rabiot, Griezmann; Mbappé, Thuram
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Dembélé, Mbappé, Rabiot

Belgium: Casteels; Castagne, Faes, Vertonghen, Theate; Mangala, Onana, De Bruyne; Doku, Lukaku, Lukébakio
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Faes, Mangala, Tielemans

France are big favourites here, coming out on top inside 90 minutes in 49.6% of the Opta supercomputer’s 10,000 simulations.

Road to the last 16

image.png.9a1ebadd3635c4f4bb140ca309954106.pngimage.png.88ffc7ea622b4bbc847f86a0ddb132cd.png

Previously...

Who can forget this massive match from the 2018 World Cup

33 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Is that a 4-3-1-2 from France? Or Mbappé wide somewhere? Very bizarre.

They need to bin Thuram as he doesn't fit in this team.

He sort of does in that he does Mbappé's running for him without the ball, but I don't think it is a great tactic.

46 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

They need to bin Thuram as he doesn't fit in this team.

He was their most useful forward against Netherlands, created two best chances they had out of nothing, but Rabiot and Griezmann had awful finishes.

Mbappe shouldn't be the most attacking forward, then it comes down to Thuram or Giroud.

Giroud from even a couple of years ago would start, but his legs are completely gone. Can't have a 38 year old in a knock out game.

Feels like this is going to be a tight game - a gripping one, if not as high-quality as we might expect.

France to win it - perhaps on penalties.

image.png.b879e283011dd32a9346ca8309bcbf98.png

4 minutes ago, ThanatosAFC said:

Tedesco with a 4-2-2 with Onana & KDB as holders? This is suicide against a stacked France midfield.

I think it's 3-4-3.

Theate is a CB.
Onana-KDB midfield still looks bad, I guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, ceefax the cat said:

Belgium are defending in a 4-4-2, no? And then one fullback tucks in to make a 3-4-3 in possession

France 4-3-3 with Mbappé left and Griezmann right

You're right.

Doku looks to be the left midfielder, Carrasco and Castagne on the right against Mbappe and Theo.

3 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I've wanted to see European referees in the Premier League for a few years. Now I'm starting to realise they can be just as bad as ours. :D

This ref is from Sweden, and from the looks of it, is completely out of his depth. 

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

Belgium is like watching England. 

Neither of them have been any good (apparently international football sides don't tend to look like club sides!) but both better than England today

Give the fans a refund and send both teams back home. This is embarasaing, I've seen preseasons friendlies between lower league teams with more quality and engagement than this match.

6 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

I wonder how many countries' fans actually think their team has played well, so far?

Spain's maybe, and the ones with low expectations (Austria, Switzerland and some of the departed sides including Slovakia). German fans have probably seen enough success to take the wins more seriously than the rubbish they served up against Hungary too

Belgium are banking on releasing Openda's pace and Lukaku's physical presence in quick transitions. Hasn't happened yet but all it takes is once or twice per game. I don't think they're necessarily being rubbish at all. It's a clever unexpected plan that threw France off their game for a while. That being said France have slowly adapted as first half went on and are looking more dangerous

2 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Give the fans a refund and send both teams back home. This is embarasaing, I've seen preseasons friendlies between lower league teams with more quality and engagement than this match.

Massive exaggeration. Neither team has looked inspired or taken their chances, but the tension is palpable. I think it's been a fascinating match, but more from the tactical point of view rather than sheer action 

Feels like a proper big boys knock out game this. 

France are getting better as the game goes on, Belgium don't look that dangerous on the counter, but they have the players to make that difference. 

Not the most exciting of matches though, very tense. 

13 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

I wonder how many countries' fans actually think their team has played well, so far?

Spain, Austria, Swiss, Georgia to name 4.

Out of the big boys can only imagine the Spanish are truly optimistic. French seem frustrated and the Germans haven't reached the highs from the first game. 

Have no idea what the Netherlands think of their lot. 

It took France a while to get going, but they could easily have scored 2-3 with the chances they created once they did.

Belgium needs to get another midfielder out there, and push KdB further forward.

11 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Have no idea what the Netherlands think of their lot. 

While Koeman is obviously a questionable coach, they lost their arguably three best midfielders and it would be unfair to judge their style of play.

27 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I think it's been a fascinating match

Yeah sure, you ca also see that from the level of engagement here. :D

I guess its normal in this times to call a match with no pace, where both teams are more preoccupied of not receiving than scoring "a tactical masterclass". Those of us who are more simpletons would actually like to see some football played on the field.

Each time they showed Tedesco he was gesturing to calm down, dont rush it.. haha

I feel like Belgium properly rattled the French the first half hour with the suprise 4-4-2, but then fell back, the French worked them out and then just have been having most of the match. Should be one up by now

11 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

After all the weirdness about Pickford celebrating the end of the match, it's fun to see Hernandez do the same thing for a tackle.

Celebration police should surely be ruling it was bad from Carrasco and not good work from the defender.