Game 42: Portugal vs Slovenia live from the Frankfurt Arena. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/07/24 at 18:59

euro_24_-_2_players_h2h_-_facebook_17_.j

Possible line-ups

Portugal: Diogo Costa; Cancelo, Rúben Dias, Pepe, Nuno Mendes; Palhinha, Vitinha, Bruno Fernandes; Rafael Leão, Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Ronaldo, Francisco Conceição, João Palhinha, Pedro Neto, Rúben Neves

Slovenia: Oblak; Karničnik, Drkušić, Bijol, Balkovec; Stojanović, Elšnik, Gnezda Čerin, Mlakar; Šporar, Šeško
Suspended: Janža

Misses next match if booked: Bijol, Celar, Stojanović, Vipotnik

Portugal are big favourites against Slovenia, winning 65.4% of pre-match simulations according to the Opta supercomputer.

Road to the last 16

image.png.05a0363e6bf1605a48267e7ba75b30ed.png

It's Ronaldo time again

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Slovenia have averaged just 32% possession so far - the third lowest such total of a team progressing from the group stage of a Euros behind Iceland at Euro 2016 (29%) and Sweden in Euro 2020 (30%).

So they're going to let Portugal play and see if they got the magic to break through them. Hopefully Portugal get an early goal to stuff them up.

Edited by Lermon

9 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

That Portugal squad is absolutely stacked everywhere but up front. If only they produced strikers. 

They have decent strikers. It's just that Ronaldo HAS to play and there's no one in there with the balls to tell him no.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Wait...Roberto Martinez is already signing Portugese anthem? He hasn't even been there for two years. :lol:

He speaks Portuguese surprisingly decent. I guess it's because it's somewhat more similar to Catalan (which he is) than to Castillian Spanish

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Wait...Roberto Martinez is already signing Portugese anthem? He hasn't even been there for two years. :lol:

He's actually Robert O'Martinez signing the (very similar) Irish anthem. :p

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

He speaks Portuguese surprisingly decent. I guess it's because it's somewhat more similar to Catalan (which he is) than to Castillian Spanish

To me signing the anthem isn't about the language, but feeling like a member of the nation.

I guess he really likes it in Portugal, good for him.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

"he's lost none of his sharpness" as he loses the ball twice in a minute with a poor touch.

Is that what they said? I'm cooking and assumed they'd said has lost some of his sharpness. Christ :D

Just now, Darius1998 said:

Imagine Pepe scores and blocks any chance of him getting the oldest scorer record. :D

That will just motivate him to stick around for four years more :D 

1 minute ago, Orzelek said:

That will just motivate him to stick around for four years more :D 

A 43 year old Cristiano starting every game would be pretty funny. :D

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why is Martinez persisting with this three CB nonsense and Mendes playing narrow?

Then put an actual CB there, ffs.

And remove Palhinha because you have three CBs.

He's playing leftback today

Slovenia really don't have any attacking threat at all do they? Done alright and got into decentish positions and played dreadful passes or messed it up in some other way.

Seems weird to say, and he'll probably score now and make me look a mug, but they're wasting a good generation here by continuing with Ronaldo.

I get the alternative is Ramos who's not amazing, but they're a better team overall. Could even go with Jota through the middle who's done well there for Liverpool 

Posted (edited)

Leão runs with such a huge grin on his face. He's looks like a cartoon character :D

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Ronaldo had some spare time in the desert to practice his free kicks again? They're looking almost threatening compared to the balls he shot out of the stadium a couple years ago. :lol: