Hello I'm 78

5 hours ago, Ruuger said:

Hi, I was quite surprised when loading up the game and setting up my profile, that the Age settings stop at 1949!  Well I was born in 1946, making me 78 years old.  

I have been playing Championship Manager/Football manager from it's inception around 30 years ago (sorry, memory is not good at this age).  So, I guess Football Managers should retire before the age of 78, right, or be too old to navigate the intricacies of the game.  :)

This post is, of course, 'tongue in cheek' and not meant to be a moan at the developers at all, as I have loved this game since it first came out, and will continue playing it as long as I have the capacity to do so.

So after your failed attempt to throw us old gits out of the game, ;), maybe, just maybe an invite to test in the Beta would be something you would consider for this old fool?  :)  30 years experience playing the game.  But anyway, regardless I will be buying the game again this year and continue to attempt to get my beloved Grimsby Town into the Premier League, something I have failed to do in the past 30 years.

Im 3 years younger than you and playing FM12 and have the same problem as you if I want to start a new save

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Im 3 years younger than you and playing FM12 and have the same problem as you if I want to start a new save

Keeps the old brain ticking over eh mate?

7 hours ago, Ruuger said:

Hi, I was quite surprised when loading up the game and setting up my profile, that the Age settings stop at 1949!  Well I was born in 1946, making me 78 years old.  

I have been playing Championship Manager/Football manager from it's inception around 30 years ago (sorry, memory is not good at this age).  So, I guess Football Managers should retire before the age of 78, right, or be too old to navigate the intricacies of the game.  :)

This post is, of course, 'tongue in cheek' and not meant to be a moan at the developers at all, as I have loved this game since it first came out, and will continue playing it as long as I have the capacity to do so.

So after your failed attempt to throw us old gits out of the game, ;), maybe, just maybe an invite to test in the Beta would be something you would consider for this old fool?  :)  30 years experience playing the game.  But anyway, regardless I will be buying the game again this year and continue to attempt to get my beloved Grimsby Town into the Premier League, something I have failed to do in the past 30 years.

Come on SI, give @Ruuger a testing position!

Great stuff, you should try some of the retro databases available!

Good luck with the Grimsby career.

15 hours ago, CAE82 said:

When you are managing Grimsby Town, a great deal of luck is required to get promoted.  :)

Huge respect to you @Ruuger. Always nice to read these kind of posts and also see how FM applies to people of different ages.

I have been playing since the Championship Manager days when I was 8 years old and didn't know much English as in Finland we start to study the language at the age of 9. Back in those days I always played with Manchester United as David Beckham was my first footballing idol. 

On 02/07/2024 at 11:37, Ruuger said:

So, I guess Football Managers should retire before the age of 78, right, or be too old to navigate the intricacies of the game.  :)

Just for your information, I've passed this over to the SI team, so they will be aware of this. Perhaps, if they change anything, in the future, you can select your real age. Let's hope so anyway! :) 

Thanks very much for that, appreciate it.  Have to say that the Fans and players in my new Grimsby Town save are a little surprised at getting a new manager in his seventies.  ;)

On 02/07/2024 at 10:37, Ruuger said:

Class post....Due to my own ignorance i never thought someone of your age would be playing the game...Anything you'd like to see in fm25 seeing as you've probably being watching football for 70ish years or so?

The main improvement I would like to see has already been taken care of, I understand, that of improvement to the Match Engine.  I think that some of the commentary needs working on, such as 'There will be a momentary pause as the ball goes out for a throw in'.  'Momentary Pause', don't think I have ever heard that in any commentary I have listened to over the last 70 years.  Incidentally, I have been watching and supporting Grimsby Town since my Father took me to my first visit to Blundell Park when I was 5 years old, back in 1951.

On 02/07/2024 at 18:24, CAE82 said:

If I'm right there's one with players like Pele, Puskas, Edwards, Finney & Di Stefano etc? A lot of legends Ruuger might have been lucky enough to see.

13 hours ago, toon army 06 said:

If I'm right there's one with players like Pele, Puskas, Edwards, Finney & Di Stefano etc? A lot of legends Ruuger might have been lucky enough to see.

You would be right there, as I have owned every version of Championship Manager/Football Manager since it's inception, never missed a year.  Funnily enough, the most excitement I got from a game was Championship Manager on the Amiga 1200.  Watching the text roll down, and eagerly watching for the next line, hoping to see a goal, brilliant!  At the time I worked for a large construction company as a Night Watchman in their office block, and I always took my Amiga 1200 to work with me, and played Championship Manager all night long.  (I did take a break and carry out my duties every now and again).  :)

6 hours ago, Ruuger said:

Funnily enough, the most excitement I got from a game was Championship Manager on the Amiga 1200. 

Very jealous, Always wanted a 1200.  Had to make do with my 500+

Watching the text roll down, and eagerly watching for the next line, hoping to see a goal, brilliant!

Through on goal..............

He slides it past the keeper.............

Missed............... :mad: :D

At the time I worked for a large construction company as a Night Watchman in their office block, and I always took my Amiga 1200 to work with me, and played Championship Manager all night long.  (I did take a break and carry out my duties every now and again). 

I had a similar situation in a job at a company digitalising records over night.  Essentially every 10 mins or so I had to fill up a scanner with documents, other than that my time was my own.  Played so much CM3 in that job.  Every now and then the security guards would pop up to see how I was getting on and offer managerial advice :D.   

Nothing quite like playing the game and getting paid at the same time

2 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Very jealous, Always wanted a 1200.  Had to make do with my 500+

I had a similar situation in a job at a company digitalising records over night.  Essentially every 10 mins or so I had to fill up a scanner with documents, other than that my time was my own.  Played so much CM3 in that job.  Every now and then the security guards would pop up to see how I was getting on and offer managerial advice :D.   

Nothing quite like playing the game and getting paid at the same time

Indeed mate, worked there for 2 years and enjoyed it playing CM for the whole of the time.

3 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Core memory unlocked for me there! :D