Quarter Final 2: Portugal vs France live from the Volksparkstadion. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/24 at 18:59

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I question how much the BBC pundits have been paying attention if they're genuinely surprised this is a boring game.

“But they’ve got all these top players, Gary! Mbappe, Griezmann, Ronaldo!”

Every time without fail. It’s like they have literally never watched an international tournament before.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Every time without fail. It’s like they have literally never watched an international tournament before.

France's only acutal playmaker is Griezmann. And he's Simeone's favorite player. :D

Kante-Tchouameni-Camavinga is as bad as it gets creativity wise on top level.

Mbappe tries to make something happen every time he gets the ball.

Portugal has Vitinha, Bruno, Bernardo, Leao, I'd expect them to create more and they kind of tried to be more progressive, but too scared of French counter.

10 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

xG 0.07 vs 0.08. :lol:

Sums up that first half basically.

Sometimes xG gives a poor reflection of a game, but every now and then it tells you absolutely everything. This is definitely the latter. Every assumption someone could make based off that xG would be correct.

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

It's predictable but the reason it happens is there's too many awfully defensive managers at international level. The type you love to defend.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

It's predictable but the reason it happens is there's too many awfully defensive managers at international level. The type you love to defend.

Because once you hit the business end of the tournament the teams are too evenly matched to take too many risks. But that’s what gives you the high stakes drama. Games settled by a split second’s indecision or a header going one side of the post and not the other.

If you want to watch 3-0 and 4-0 wins, stick to your club competitions that only a two or three teams can possibly win.

• Administrators

Just seems like a typical game where Portugal will bore their way to a win on pens. 

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Because once you hit the business end of the tournament the teams are too evenly matched to take too many risks. But that’s what gives you the high stakes drama. Games settled by a split second’s indecision or a header going one side of the post and not the other.

If you want to watch 3-0 and 4-0 wins, stick to your club competitions that only a two or three teams can possibly win.

Germany VS Spain was tight but very entertaining as they both play positive football. It's not as simple as a 3 or 4-0 win or trash. There's a lot inbetween.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

France's only acutal playmaker is Griezmann. And he's Simeone's favorite player. :D

Kante-Tchouameni-Camavinga is as bad as it gets creativity wise on top level.

Mbappe tries to make something happen every time he gets the ball.

Portugal has Vitinha, Bruno, Bernardo, Leao, I'd expect them to create more and they kind of tried to be more progressive, but too scared of French counter.

Doesn't help that Griezmann has been in pretty poor form this tournament as well.

Then again, not like you can't find some French playmaking talent if you'd actually bothered looking for it, but Dechamps obviously won't. :lol:

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

xG 0.07 vs 0.08. :lol:

Sums up that first half basically.

I fell asleep for parts of the first half :D 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Such a negative take on football.

Champions league knockouts are high stakes too and you don't see as many managers **** the bed and park the bus.

It's not even just the "business end" anyway - Southgate, Deschamps and co do this from game 1.

Mendes escapes a yellow. VAR really should be able to inform the ref about such behaviour.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Such a negative take on football.

Champions league knockouts are high stakes too and you don't see as many managers **** the bed and park the bus.

Er, what? Four of the last five Champions League finals have finished 1-0 :D 

I don’t mind these types of games anyway. You don’t need loads of goals to be gripped by the tension and the drama of it. It’s not me that’s moaning they are bored.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

I don’t mind these types of games anyway. You don’t need loads of goals to be gripped by the tension and the drama of it. It’s not me that’s moaning they are bored.

Does a 1-0 game = terrible football for you then? It's not about the final scoreline, it's the quality of football.

Edited by Baptista_8

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

What Baptista said, basically.

You're so results driven.

Maybe there's just in modern NT football.

Spalletti and Nagelsmann were considered to be the best club level coaches in the tournament, both with trademark attacking football and while Germany did want to attack, it looked really poor and disjointed.
The less said about Italy, the better.

• Administrators

Absolute carnage :D 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Does a 1-0 game = terrible football for you then? It's not about the final scoreline, it's the quality of football.

I’ll watch 1-0s all day long. But people moan about international tournaments and wonder why these sides with loads of good players don’t just go and attack like they do for the clubs.

But in the later stages of a tournament every game is pretty much a toss of a coin. Whereas when they play for their clubs one team normally has a bigger advantage over the other. Plus the teams are used to playing together a lot more which helps.

Doesn’t mean the international tournaments aren’t still great. You just have to adjust your expectations about the type of football you are going to see.

Edited by Rob1981