Semi Final 1: Spain vs France live from the Fußball Arena München. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/24 at 18:59

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Divinity said:

I mean, they are though aren't they?

https://xgscore.io/xg-statistics/euro/2024

Four times as many goals scored as conceded, even xg is basically 2:1, whereas England's is not even at parity. Even ignoring the overperformance of XG and XGC, they're passing the eye test very comfortably.

And yet in terms of individual talent and depth, this England squad SHOULD be able to do so too, especially in light of the inferior opposition they've had comparatively. It's not some tactical master plan or slowplaying a 7 match tournament, it's just **** tactics.

Why are you still talking about England? :D  Why are you trying to disprove a point that I’m not making?

Let me be really clear.

Spain have been really good. England have been poor. Attacking football is more fun than defensive football. Setting up to sit behind the ball or play a slow tempo when you have great attacking players is frustrating for everyone to have to watch.

But none of this changes the fact that big international games are usually decided on a couple of odd moments. You can be the best attacking team at the tournament and you STILL need to rely on one-goal wins and squeezing through games in extra time. And sometimes the best teams don’t win the competitions.

You can talk about xG all day. But they don’t hand trophies out based on xG. They hand trophies out once the actual results are in. And Spain’s actual results have been 1-0 vs Italy, 1-0 vs Albania, 2-1 vs Germany (aet), 2-1 vs France.

Even though they are CLEARLY the best team at the tournament they have needed narrow wins. Because this is what tournament football is. 

I’m sorry if this is confusing for you. But at no point have I said that you HAVE to set up and grind out results with a defensive approach because it is the only way to win.

Edited by Rob1981

Why is everyone crying like a baby about Cucurella getting booed every time he had the ball?

Why did no one speak up when the Turkish and Albanian "fans" were doing this DURING THE ANTHEM and during the WHOLE GAME against EVERY opposition player?

Sorry Rob but you are missing a key point.

If you play well and miss a lot of chances, you only end up beating this Italy or Albania side by a goal. If you play badly, you are relying on a half-chance actually being taken to get through/take it to pens. One of these approaches sets you up for success,the other relies on an awful lot of luck to go your way.

Edited by The_jagster

10 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Sorry Rob but you are missing a key point.

If you play well and miss a lot of chances, you only end up beating this Italy or Albania side by a goal. If you play badly, you are relying on a half-chance actually being taken to get through/take it to pens. One of these approaches sets you up for success,the other relies on an awful lot of luck to go your way.

Fair.  But I'm not "missing" the point, because I'm not saying teams shouldn't attack.  I'm just saying don't expect teams to win by loads of goals just because they are the better side.  That's not how tournament football works these days.  You usually get a narrow win, and you can still come unstuck if you're unlucky.

3 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Germany do realise it was not a penalty because Fullkrug was slightly offside in the build up, right?

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't Mainly though it wasn't handball.

10 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Germany do realise it was not a penalty because Fullkrug was slightly offside in the build up, right?

You realize UEFA did not show the lines on the pitch for everyone to see, so thhe broadcaster ZDF did show them and it was no offside. right?

Edited by Carambau

3 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

Who's "crying like a baby" about that? The only ones crying like babies appear to be some German fans who can't deal with the fact that a handball wasn't given in their favour.

you obviously dont read the spanish newspapers. I won´t blame you, so you couldnt have known about the outrage.

18 minutes ago, Carambau said:

You realize UEFA did not show the lines on the pitch for everyone to see, so thhe broadcaster ZDF did show them and it was no offside. right?

It was really clearly offside. At least half the body offside.