Highlights that start as a throw in are usually goals why is that?

Hey I play on fm 20,21,23,24 and in each of these versions there is this problem, I almost never score goals from normal actions just always there is a throw in -> cross or there are a few passes and also most of the time it ends with cross when I played on highlights detailed a person doesn't pay that much attention to it but when he plays on key it shows in every match. Is it supposed to be like that or is it a bug that has been around for years and can't be fixed how does it look like can someone explain it to me ?

Well if you're playing on Key Highlights, there's really no reason to show a throw-in unless something important happens, and there's a good chance that will be a goal.

As to why there are so many, it's possible that if you are manager of a big club, that other teams will prioritise defending against you. In FM24, if you have a good Set Pieces coach, you're immediately doing better than most other teams, and if you delegate to them and they choose to focus on Throw-Ins, you may score more goals than usual from throw-ins. In previous versions, certain set pieces were quite buggy in that your players would sometimes do stupid things depending on where the set piece took place, and some of these included throw-ins. 

I don't personally see a lot of goals from throw-ins, so your tactics will likely be playing a part, but it can be hard to work out in what way, sometimes. 

Throw ins/Corners are definitely overpowered in a sense but they also are viable starting points for a highlight since the ball is dead and its the start of a sequence. I'm definitely more afraid of a throw in in the game than I am in real life.

That said it seems to me that a lot of corner/throw in goals have occurred after a big chance missed and the game "righting" itself with this sort of action. Completely anecdotal of course. I had been playing 16 for a bit and its interesting to see the different patterns that game has compared to 20 through 24.

Some people have said they are seeing way too many goals from throw-ins, personally I'm not and I've been chasing down some of those posts to try and see routines that are resulting in more goals. As it would be very useful to have in my pocket when it comes to network saves, but I haven't had any joy in reliably finding anything that produces throw-in goals. 

I came to the conclusion that its quite likely therefore there are some weaknesses in set-ups players favour with throw-ins, rather than it being a widespread issue like some corner routines in the past. 

6 hours ago, FrazT said:

Goal highlights will usually start with the ball being put into play, so a throw-in is highly likely to be the starting point.

I think this is the key. The game decides when to start a highlight, and when the ball enters the pitch after a stop in play makes sense.

At least I think that's what people mean when they say the highlights starts from a throw, not that there is a lot of goals from throw-ins directly. If so, then I'm a huge outlier, as I rarely see any goals for either the AI or me directly from throws...

Perhaps people think the highlight should start from a goalkeeper having the ball, or a defender passing to another? I don't know, but I think that goal kicks, free kicks, corner kics, and yes, throw ins are the most natural points to start a highlight.

If the argument is that most goals comes from crosses, well, I don't really see that either. This is my current save and what assist types I see:

IuTfP84.png

A mixture of crosses and through balls mostly, as well as some set pieces, but nothing overwhelming to me.

As for conceding:

s03MJcU.png

It's a mix that feels roughly similar to how I score from an eye test.

That said, this is my anecdotal evidence to how goals are in my save, and my tactical setup might not show what others are, but I do play a fairly wide setup with a winger on one side, so I'm not avoiding crosses.

I mean mainly that the actions with goals start with throw in, free kick, corners, of the normal  posession actions there are really few of them but I am to understand that this is the way it should be is not a bug, yes ? In fact, I do not mean that a lot of goals are scored from throw-ins, but just that the key highlights begin with throw in, free kick, corners and so on.

6 minutes ago, enes1616 said:

I mean mainly that the actions with goals start with throw in, free kick, corners, of the normal  posession actions there are really few of them but I am to understand that this is the way it should be is not a bug, yes ? In fact, I do not mean that a lot of goals are scored from throw-ins, but just that the key highlights begin with throw in, free kick, corners and so on.

I don't know for a fact, but I think it seems reasonable that the game picks a highlight and selects the start of it to when the game is restarted. At what other point should it do so? I just find it logical that a set piece of any kind is a natural starting point in many cases.

6 minutes ago, enes1616 said:

but just that the key highlights begin with throw in, free kick, corners and so on.

That's a logical (and easy) place for the ME to decide where to start the highlight. I'd assume from a dev's POV it's better (and less fiddly) to start at a dead ball situation rather than to determine after which pass exactly the highlight should start.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I think this is the key. The game decides when to start a highlight, and when the ball enters the pitch after a stop in play makes sense.

At least I think that's what people mean when they say the highlights starts from a throw, not that there is a lot of goals from throw-ins directly. If so, then I'm a huge outlier, as I rarely see any goals for either the AI or me directly from throws...

Perhaps people think the highlight should start from a goalkeeper having the ball, or a defender passing to another? I don't know, but I think that goal kicks, free kicks, corner kics, and yes, throw ins are the most natural points to start a highlight.

If the argument is that most goals comes from crosses, well, I don't really see that either. This is my current save and what assist types I see:

IuTfP84.png

A mixture of crosses and through balls mostly, as well as some set pieces, but nothing overwhelming to me.

As for conceding:

s03MJcU.png

It's a mix that feels roughly similar to how I score from an eye test.

That said, this is my anecdotal evidence to how goals are in my save, and my tactical setup might not show what others are, but I do play a fairly wide setup with a winger on one side, so I'm not avoiding crosses.

Where is this screen please? I've never seen it before and it looks really quite useful!

7 minutes ago, Uncle Adi said:

Where is this screen please? I've never seen it before and it looks really quite useful!

For the screen to appear you must have a Performance Analyst at the club, as I've found out before! :D

If you have it, go to

zE09dn7.png

Data Hub -> Team -> Analyst Report

From there click on "Scoring"

aBh0kRT.png

And on the right, click "Assists"

SKpd6MM.png

To get the conceded things, just click Conceding instead of Scoring and you will have against your team.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

For the screen to appear you must have a Performance Analyst at the club, as I've found out before! :D

If you have it, go to

zE09dn7.png

Data Hub -> Team -> Analyst Report

From there click on "Scoring"

aBh0kRT.png

And on the right, click "Assists"

SKpd6MM.png

To get the conceded things, just click Conceding instead of Scoring and you will have against your team.

Thanks very much! I must confess I don't use the data hub as I can't read those funny looking graphs that it defaults to, but this makes further investigation necessary.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Adi said:

Thanks very much! I must confess I don't use the data hub as I can't read those funny looking graphs that it defaults to, but this makes further investigation necessary.

Yeah, there's a lot of info in there, some readable and other less so. But the analyst reports are usually quite understandable for everyone.