AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

That'd be amazing. I make it that he's at 289 so far. But he's gonna have to go some to get 1000. At age 23, he may get 10 more seasons, so he'd need upwards of 70 goals each year. Still, he's clearly going to amass an incredible total, whatever he gets.

Let's just hope that the experiment lasts long enough to fond out. (And that we all live long enough to see another ten seasons of updates, which may be an achievement in itself.) That was a joke by the way, before anyone accuses me of having a dig at Kip's update frequency.

Depends where he goes.. and if he stays injury free. i think he'll have more than 10 seasons, but after that he'll play less.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, an update will be coming soon, I'm probably going to have to cut out a couple of less interesting (or more time consuming) sections as work has got INSANELY busy - I've barely been in the country for the last few weeks.

Dont worry Kip. We'll wait :D I don't know what other people will think but i enjoy it when a whole big new update is out. If you didn't cut it. You could just post it up in bits. Either way. I eagerly await the next bit.

Could there be some bits you can do every two years or so?

Folks, an update will be coming soon, I'm probably going to have to cut out a couple of less interesting (or more time consuming) sections as work has got INSANELY busy - I've barely been in the country for the last few weeks.

out of curiosity, what line of work are you in? if you wouldn't mine telling us

Yeah, pretty sure he's in IT-related field.

I remember in the last experiment, he mentioned something about how he was curious to see how the game's AI would react under extreme measures, because his daily job involved designing/analyzing artificial intelligence.

So, IT/robotics/DSP and such would be my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I must apologise ffor getting the hopes up of everyone who looks at this and thinks there has been an update, I found this yesterday and haven't stopped reading since. Gutted to have caught up actually, wass enjoying waiting about half an hour between updates.

A few things i've noticed:

It has been mentioned once before but I find it interesting that players don't seem to reach their full PA, being one point off. I can't see why this would be programmed in tbh.

Are there too many world cup shocks? Maybe I am underestimating real life but surely there seems to be too many quality nations not going far enough.

As I have read all updates pretty close together (only broken up by at times tedious begging, although who can blame you, I shall now join as a begger for more updates, and at times wonderful poetry ;) ) I have noticed that extra time fails to produce a result too many times for my liking. We seem to have an exttraodinary amount of shootouts compared to my experiance of real life.

The AI seems utterly incapable of closing out a result! I've lost count of the amount of times teams have been 3-0 up and nearly loose the lead with it ending 3-2!? It happens at least a couple of times an update by my reckoning. Maybe this is a reason for the extra time rarely yielding results?

Maybe all these points are wrong, just my personal observations.

This has enspired me into planning my own AI experiment but for now I shall settle back as a lurker lapping up each and every word of your updates.

P.S. Please don't leave for months on end Kip, don't know how I would have managed it if I had been in real time rather than seeing months fly by as I scrolled down!

• 3 weeks later...
na it looks done to me - real shame

Kip will be back. As he said in his last post he cant find much time for it at the moment but it wont just die. If he had no intention of coming back then he would let us all know.

I completely and utterly disagree.

If he can't commit to it, then I'd rather he post whatever he can, when he can, in his own time.

Of course, I have nothing against someone else giving a shot at a similar experiment... though, I doubt many have the determination it takes to do it properly.

I completely and utterly disagree.

If he can't commit to it, then I'd rather he post whatever he can, when he can, in his own time.

Of course, I have nothing against someone else giving a shot at a similar experiment... though, I doubt many have the determination it takes to do it properly.

I second this.

Regardless of wether Kip continues like this or someone else takes over this thread will die. Well in my eyes its already dead. Kip obviously hasnt got the time for the experiment anymore (not a criticism) and if someone else takes over i very much doubt it will be the same as the glory days of the last experiment!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might be over but we all still come here and check regularly, in the slight chance that it might not be.

Got to give him props for keeping it going as long as he did though. Well done for a great story and experiement. It kept me well entertained for years.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for upping everyone, but I have only just come across this experiment and have to say that it is awesome. Big kudos to Kip for the effort he has put in, as i have thoroughly enjoyed the last 4 hours of reading.

Go me wanting to play FM again after 2 years of not buying it.

• 3 weeks later...
I could do an experiment like Kip easily. But i don't want to be compared to kip because nothing could beat Kips reports and writing.

Yeah I agree...it's not difficult so simulate a season, but the way everything has been reported and written is simply brilliant...

Archived