Update 16.2.0 Issue - Game Crashing with Certain Custom Skins

Neil Brock

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just wanted to make you aware there is a known crash with a some custom skins for FM16. We were only made aware of this after release so it's something we're looking into to find out the cause.

We'd suggest avoiding these skins listed below in the meantime.

The default skins are fine, as are some other custom skins. We'll update this thread when we have further info.

Apologies to the skin creators who put time into creating these, unfortunately as you're all probably aware we don't have time to test all the custom graphics/logos/skins etc and what with UI fixes in this update, this appears to be a knock-on of one of those.

As said the current known skins which cause crashes in some circumstances are listed below:

Vitrex

Andromeda

AndroFlut

Flut

OPZ

WannaChup

AndroFlut

DasZ8 Group skin

DasZ8 beta

OPz Elite

If the game is crashing after pressing continue with a custom skin on patch 16.2 then the problem looks like it is caused by the 'game processing panel.xml' file that was updated in the patch.

To fix the problem:

- End users if you don't want to wait for the skinner to release an updated version of the skin then just delete the 'game processing panel.xml' file located in the panels\game file for the skin you are using (or follow the instructions below to alter the problem line). Then in preferences turn off the skin cache if it is on and reload your skin and the game should stop crashing.

- For skinners you will need to redo any changes you made to the default 'game processing panel.xml' file in the file that was updated by the patch (note the updated file is located in the main panels.fmf file not one found in the updates folder), though you really should be checking and updating all of your xml files for any changes made in the patch.

Looks like the following line has been changed from:

<record id="widget_properties" class="calendar_detailed_event_panel" file="game/calendar dropdown event panel" show_no_events_label="false" width="200">

To:

<record id="widget_properties" class="calendar_popup_day_panel" file="game/calendar dropdown day panel" show_no_events_label="false" width="200">

alavanja 16 alternative skin works fine with me no crashes

That's right, thanks m8.

As said the current known skins which cause crashes in some circumstances are listed below:

Vitrex

Andromeda

AndroFlut

Flut

OPZ

Alavanja

WannaChup

AndroFlut

DasZ8 Group skin

DasZ8 beta

OPz Elite

Why did you put my skins in this black list when my skins works fine, without crashes? You should delete Alavanja from this list.

That fix does not work for me on Andromeda and WannaChuprew does crash despite not even containing that panel by default. So i would wager there is at least one other culprit...

Heck, i just discovered that it does crash with the default skin for me so i might have a bigger problem at play ...

That fix does not work for me on Andromeda and WannaChuprew does crash despite not even containing that panel by default. So i would wager there is at least one other culprit...

Heck, i just discovered that it does crash with the default skin for me so i might have a bigger problem at play ...

Andromeda should be fine now. Not had any crashes all evening.

• Administrators
That's right, thanks m8.

Why did you put my skins in this black list when my skins works fine, without crashes? You should delete Alavanja from this list.

A user reported a problem with it so we added it to the list - they may have been mistaken. Now Michael has provided the 'fix' all effected skins should now be able to be tweaked so they no longer have this issue.

Thanks.

A user reported a problem with it so we added it to the list - they may have been mistaken. Now Michael has provided the 'fix' all effected skins should now be able to be tweaked so they no longer have this issue.

Thanks.

Can we be removed from the list then now please.

Don't think any one actually cares as I see people on other forums warning people not to download my skin because of your black list. Please remove my account thank you. I give up with you. I find a solution to your Fix and you leave me on the list. I will remove my Skin. I won't be uploaded here again. I will stick my facebook group.

Hi all,

Just wanted to make you aware there is a known crash with a some custom skins for FM16. We were only made aware of this after release so it's something we're looking into to find out the cause.

We'd suggest avoiding these skins listed below in the meantime.

The default skins are fine, as are some other custom skins. We'll update this thread when we have further info.

Apologies to the skin creators who put time into creating these, unfortunately as you're all probably aware we don't have time to test all the custom graphics/logos/skins etc and what with UI fixes in this update, this appears to be a knock-on of one of those.

Vitrex

Andromeda

AndroFlut

Flut

OPZ

WannaChup

AndroFlut

DasZ8 Group skin

DasZ8 beta

OPz Elite

Vitrex 2.1 has been fixed for the 16.2 update just today, no more crashes.

Get it here:

Vitrex16 v2.1 **NEW** (16.2 crash fix)

Andromeda 1.8b did indeed crash and still continues to do so. So instead of crying and whinning about it, and being all butt hurt, HOW ABOUT TRYING TO FIX YOUR SKIN????

sheesh.

How about you downloaded the newer version!? HE DID ACTUALLY FIX HIS SKIN!

How about you downloaded the newer version!? HE DID ACTUALLY FIX HIS SKIN!

Yea he fixed it, after this was posted, and after the patch was released, which made the game crash with the mentioned skins.

Amazing how people can react like this, like small children, simply because SI state that there may be issues with skins due to a recent update.

This is not name and shame this is simply helping people having issues with crashes.

Yea he fixed it, after this was posted, and after the patch was released, which made the game crash with the mentioned skins.

Amazing how people can react like this, like small children, simply because SI state that there may be issues with skins due to a recent update.

This is not name and shame this is simply helping people having issues with crashes.

No infact I fixed it before SI even did actually. **** off and mind your own business

I don't come here to protest when SI do a major change in skins and because of that i'm not able to realise new version's of Flexion, 2007 and Seven.

SI do what them want to the game, they are the owners. If we want or can adapt to the changes is our problem, no SI problem.

I don't come here to protest when SI do a major change in skins and because of that i'm not able to realise new version's of Flexion, 2007 and Seven.

SI do what them want to the game, they are the owners. If we want or can adapt to the changes is our problem, no SI problem.

Sorry but when I use Panels from their Archiver and they blame the makers when they changed the code. That's ****ing bollox

My post was not intented for you, Rhazmuz, but for the poster above who I also quoted!

I get why Niel made this thread, but the poster above mentioned IN CAPS, that v. 1.8b still crashed when theBantams already released v. 1.9.

Closing this as it has just turned into a slanging match.

If you are still having a problem with any custom skin crashing in the latest patch then post in the thread for that skin.

If you are having a problem with the game crashing using all skins or the default skins then open a thread in the bugs forum.

And for reference as some of you don't seem to understand how skinning or patching works;

- Skinning involves editing the existing files, either doing something as simple as recolouring something or by making wholesale changes to the xml files.

- Patching works by editing the game files to fix problems or add new functionality.

- It is not possible for the patch to also edit the custom xml files used by custom skins or for the patched files to overwrite the custom skins files (well it is but that would break all custom skins as the game would no longer be reading the custom files used by the skin). Nor is it possible for SI to test every build of the game with every possible custom file released for the game.

- Further to this skins/mods have always needed to be updated/checked when a patch comes out (the same is true for pretty much any game that allows third party mods), to check to see if any of the files used by the skin have been updated in the patch and to then update said files so they reflect the changes made in the patch, which is why you should only ever include files in your skin that you have modified rather than including all the skin files.

Archived