England vs Italy - Sunday 19:45

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because of the styles of play. Spain are horrible defensively so they have to keep the ball away from the other side...thus you have a match where there are a million boring passes that go nowhere with intention of wasting time..especially if they get a goal; the England style is to counterattack so there is a lot more action and attacking. IMO while the England style isnt nearly as 'technical', its a lot more fun to watch.

Where has this idea that Spain are horrible defensively come from? They're not amazing but they're not horrible ffs. Spain don't pass the ball to waste time, they do it so a) they don't have to run, b) so the opponents get tired, and c) so the opponent cannot attack. That's not wasting time, that's being smart. Also, their passing is ****ing brilliant. After watching Spain yesterday, I see passes that I would've seen Xavi or Iniesta make that English players aren't. If you don't enjoy it, fair enough but stop acting like your opinion is the only one that's valid.

Strength? Jumping? Pace? Acceleration?

Not the best but good enough to dominate most matches from central midfield. With brilliant technical skills, brilliant mental skills, good stamina....of course he's got some lacks, but most players have. I'm not saying he is Messi/Iniesta class, but I certainly mean that he's among a group of players right underneath the top 5 players in the world. Of course, this will always be biased - just my opinion :)

Umm, Pirlo is kinda showing why he doesn't need athleticism in his game.

Nobody said he does.

But fact is that a footballer is the sum of technical, mental and physical abilities. You can do without either and still be very good at what you do, but overall your sum won't be among the world's best.

Because of the styles of play. Spain are horrible defensively so they have to keep the ball away from the other side...thus you have a match where there are a million boring passes that go nowhere with intention of wasting time..especially if they get a goal; the England style is to counterattack so there is a lot more action and attacking. IMO while the England style isnt nearly as 'technical', its a lot more fun to watch.

How can they be 'horrible defensively' with the number of clean sheets they've kept?

Just because they don't rely on having a load of 6'5" knuckle draggers at the back to form a human wall of flesh on the 18 yard line, doesn't mean they are incapable of defending. They just defend in a different manner than we've really been used to seeing.

Archived