Back to FM13?

I think I'm going to have to go back to FM13.

Bugs are one thing but this game is simply broken. I've started a game on FM14 which is exactly the same as the final game I had on FM13, and on that game I had some limited success. In this one, I have lost the first 4 games 4-1, 5-1, 7-1 and 5-2. This game seems broken to me.

Game in beta in 'not perfect' shocker.

Seriously though, I think you have to approach this edition with a clear head in terms of creating your tactic. Try to get preconceptions from previous FM's out of your mind and think about how you want your team to play and whether or not your players can play like that.

It won't be the same as your FM13 tactic, but I bet you can make something just as good.

Game in beta in 'not perfect' shocker.

Seriously though, I think you have to approach this edition with a clear head in terms of creating your tactic. Try to get preconceptions from previous FM's out of your mind and think about how you want your team to play and whether or not your players can play like that.

It won't be the same as your FM13 tactic, but I bet you can make something just as good.

Agree with this, playing as Newcastle there are at least three players who I realised will suit new roles much better compared to 13, even though in 13 they played well for me.

Bugs are one thing but this game is simply broken. I've started a game on FM14 which is exactly the same as the final game I had on FM13, and on that game I had some limited success. In this one, I have lost the first 4 games 4-1, 5-1, 7-1 and 5-2. This game seems broken to me.

For the same tactic to go from a promotion challenging one to one that causes me to lose every game 6-1 or 7-1?!?! Seems a bit mad.

It doesn't mean that your small 4 game sample of heavy defeats proves the "game is broken". FM13 isn't the same as FM14.

If your FM13 tactic had won those 4 games in FM14 by the same scorelines, would you create a thread saying the game was broken?

My Championship Manager tactic from 1993 doesn't work on FM14, does that mean FM14 is broken?

I'm losing = Game is Broken...deary me.

To be honest, I'm surprised there haven't been more woefully inaccurate topics created since yesterday. This is refreshing.

Also, have I got it right that you're comparing your approach in a different game (emphasis is necessary IMO) to this one? The one with a completely different ME and tactical overhaul? That's what you're doing? Really?

I agree with both of you - that is fine and expected. But for the same tactic to go from a promotion challenging one to one that causes me to lose every game 6-1 or 7-1?!?! Seems a bit mad.

The tactical system has been overhauled though, you need to re-think the way you create your particular style of play.

Guys, you are totally missing the point. There's nothing wrong with the tactics system being different and therefore tactics not working as well (or indeed working better). But to go from a decent side to one that loses every game 6-1 or 7-1 is totally unrealistic. Apart from anything else, no team loses every game 6-1 or 7-1 IRL. Ever.

Guys, you are totally missing the point. There's nothing wrong with the tactics system being different and therefore tactics not working as well (or indeed working better). But to go from a decent side to one that loses every game 6-1 or 7-1 is totally unrealistic. Apart from anything else, no team loses every game 6-1 or 7-1 IRL. Ever.

You say "every game", but you are basing it on a 4 game sample. Which is tiny.

For all we know you are making the team use the overload tactic as soon as you start losing in the 20th minute and making things worse.

Which would say no real life team employs a tactic as bad as yours? Without being a complete arse, but if your getting hammered, your doing something very wrong, you need to change what your doing.

San Marino?

Unless the 'old' tactic has gaping holes in it due to the newly implemented tactical and ME changes? That's why I think you need to re-do your tactic from scratch, forgetting FM13 altogether.

The fact that most peoples tactics got trashed everytime a patch came out on FM13 is a clear indicator to me that you cannot simply go to FM14 using your exact same tactics and think "this will work".

Annoyingly on FM13 everytime I finally nailed down a few tactics that worked for me I found a patch would come out and suddenly they would stop working like a light switch and i'd have to head back to the drawing back and re-design.

Go into FM14 with a clear mind, start a fresh, listen to others opinions and most important work on your own findings and experiences within FM14.

Not sure your age range etc....but you wouldn't go into GTA 5 and go "well I could do this on GTA San Andreas......the games broken".

Try these pointers and im sure you'll be fine.

I've had the opposite effect, I've set up to be rigid and look to control the play. So far I've played 10 with a 8-0-2 record. This is with Stockport in the Skrill North so take that as you will, but I'm quite happy with the match engine this time around.

I've had the opposite effect, I've set up to be rigid and look to control the play. So far I've played 10 with a 8-0-2 record. This is with Stockport in the Skrill North so take that as you will, but I'm quite happy with the match engine this time around.

But did you win matches 6-1, 7-1, 4-3 and so on? Or did you have normal victories like 2-0 or something? Because there are some complaints about too many goals already which worries me. Especially if you control the play, there should be some 1-0 matches?

You say "every game", but you are basing it on a 4 game sample. Which is tiny.

For all we know you are making the team use the overload tactic as soon as you start losing in the 20th minute and making things worse.

I'm now basing this on a 16 game sample over which my goal difference is -74 (over two games, I started again at one point). And I'm using the 'normal' setting. How do I upload my tactic?

But did you win matches 6-1, 7-1, 4-3 and so on? Or did you have normal victories like 2-0 or something? Because there are some complaints about too many goals already which worries me. Especially if you control the play, there should be some small 1-0 matches?

Majority have been 2-0 and 1-0 victories. Only big ones have been a 4-1 win over Workington (bottom of the league) and 5-0 over Hinckley in the cup (divisions below us). The rest have been tight affairs where we have dictated play and executed my tactics perfectly. I really can't fault SI as it stands.

Majority have been 2-0 and 1-0 victories. Only big ones have been a 4-1 win over Workington (bottom of the league) and 5-0 over Hinckley in the cup (divisions below us). The rest have been tight affairs where we have dictated play and executed my tactics perfectly. I really can't fault SI as it stands.

Sounds great.

Yeah, I'm only 4 games into my season with Aston Villa (admittedly not very much) but so far, including pre-season friendlies, I'm yet to have more than 4 goals in a game, a 3-1 win over Blackburn in the League Cup.

I'm quite pleased with how it's working, I've tried to set the team up to be rigidly stubborn at the back before springing forwards on the counter, so it seems about right that I'm not seeing many goals per game at this stage.

Yeah, I'm only 4 games into my season with Aston Villa (admittedly not very much) but so far, including pre-season friendlies, I'm yet to have more than 4 goals in a game, a 3-1 win over Blackburn in the League Cup.

I'm quite pleased with how it's working, I've tried to set the team up to be rigidly stubborn at the back before springing forwards on the counter, so it seems about right that I'm not seeing many goals per game at this stage.

6-7 goals only happened in friendlies against teams that are two or three leagues above me.

Haven't got to the competitive stages yet cos... Well, I want the transfer bug fixed first hah!

Wouldn't it be best to wait until the game is released before making negative comments ?

6-7 goals only happened in friendlies against teams that are two or three leagues above me.

Haven't got to the competitive stages yet cos... Well, I want the transfer bug fixed first hah!

Villa start with nothing in either the wage or transfer budget so I hadn't realised there was a bug yet!

OP you should post the tactic in question, both how it is set up in FM13 and on this version. That might stop people needlessly insulting you, making irrelevant comments about decade old games, and telling you you are just butthurt about losing.

The people who are being so aggressive in their attitude should remember that the weakness is with the ME, and nothing else. Once it is an accurate representation of football then these problems won't exist, because the ME won't need to be changed so drastically between (and often even during) versions. Some people refuse to let any blame lie with the game, and it's ridiculous.

You're basing this on 4 games, so I suggest you look at Villas results last winter. Also as has been mention this is a BETA version, so instead of spitting your dummy out, how about mention your problems in an adult manner so that SI can take a look so the official release is more polished?

OP you should post the tactic in question, both how it is set up in FM13 and on this version. That might stop people needlessly insulting you, making irrelevant comments about decade old games, and telling you you are just butthurt about losing.

The people who are being so aggressive in their attitude should remember that the weakness is with the ME, and nothing else. Once it is an accurate representation of football then these problems won't exist, because the ME won't need to be changed so drastically between (and often even during) versions. Some people refuse to let any blame lie with the game, and it's ridiculous.

The whole point is the copying a tactic from FM13 is moot because of all the changes to the interface and ME. But complaining that a game is broken because you are getting hammered is just a tad silly tbh, regardless of where you stand on the game.

Another thing to consider is that your tactic from FM13 was probably built over a long period of time, meaning the players were comfortable with it. You've now started a new game, with new players, and gone straight to this tactic expecting success. You'd need to be very lucky for that to happen.

I can understand your frustration, mind, losing so heavily each game would be concerning.

I'm the opposite though, I'm using a slightly tweaked version of a tactic I used often in FM13, and won my first league game, 5-1 away from home.

Another thing to consider is that your tactic from FM13 was probably built over a long period of time, meaning the players were comfortable with it. You've now started a new game, with new players, and gone straight to this tactic expecting success. You'd need to be very lucky for that to happen.

I can understand your frustration, mind, losing so heavily each game would be concerning.

I'm the opposite though, I'm using a slightly tweaked version of a tactic I used often in FM13, and won my first league game, 5-1 away from home.

Again a massive simplification of my concern. As it happens, I was referring to the tactic I used at the start (and only for two seasons) of my FM13 game, which worked well. I'm also not suggesting I was expecting it to work perfectly and win every game - I was expecting to struggle a little at first while I tweaked. But to lose every game by that margin is odd. I've since changed to a much simpler and more intuitive tactic, which is working rather better. I'm still not convinced by the tactics system though - I can't control it as well as I would like. Maybe that's more realistic TBF. Would LOVE a proper chalk-board system. Probably optimistic....

The whole point is the copying a tactic from FM13 is moot because of all the changes to the interface and ME. But complaining that a game is broken because you are getting hammered is just a tad silly tbh, regardless of where you stand on the game.

Yes fair enough, I had missed the broken comment, apologies.

I would really, really like to see the tactic in question. If for example it is one that was created with advice from wwfan (which I doubt, considering the reported scores) then I find it puzzling that such a discrepancy could happen between versions. If it was more of an 'exploiting' tactic, then obviously that makes sense. As someone who doesn't find tactic building that clear I am just hoping for some sort of consistency in that wwfan advice for FM13 still holds true for 14, at least to some extent.

I'm now basing this on a 16 game sample over which my goal difference is -74 (over two games, I started again at one point). And I'm using the 'normal' setting. How do I upload my tactic?

I hear ya - it is frustrating for sure. I pretty much play with Bayern Munich - you would think that playing just the out of the box tactic against a 3rd or 4th division team, they would destroy them, but that is not the case. My first friendly against Jahn Regensburg was 1-1 away, with no tactical adjustments. Then I made some adjustments and played Man Utd and got smoke 5-0, my backline was like moses parting the red sea. Made a few more changes and had a friendly against Real Madrid at home and won 4-1. Thought I found the secret, then lost to Dortmund in super cup. In FM13 - i would have possession 60-40 and only allow anywhere from 1-5 shots home or away. Had a few games like that - but not consistently. So it is going to take some tinkering.

Yes fair enough, I had missed the broken comment, apologies.

I would really, really like to see the tactic in question. If for example it is one that was created with advice from wwfan (which I doubt, considering the reported scores) then I find it puzzling that such a discrepancy could happen between versions. If it was more of an 'exploiting' tactic, then obviously that makes sense. As someone who doesn't find tactic building that clear I am just hoping for some sort of consistency in that wwfan advice for FM13 still holds true for 14, at least to some extent.

No apology needed. agree about wanting to see the tactic, no matter how valid or not his complaint is, best way of getting help is seeing where he is right now.

But I still say it's odd that the same tactic would have results THAT different...

Think about it: FM13 and FM14 have two different MEs.

Your FM13 tactic is built around a ME that takes in account some (a lot) of variables. FM14 ME takes in account different variables.

If yout FM13 tactis has a hole ie. in defense, and the ME find it, it will use that hole to score against you, and it could be the reason of your streak of losses with so many goals.

Sorry for my awful english, I hope I made ​​it clear enough.

You are aware that this is a BETA. The game won't be perfect and there will be some issues with it which is why it's released two weeks early. To say you have a major problem with it and are going back to FM13 just smacks of a lack of patience. If you feel there is a problem with the game then report it appropriately in the bugs forum.

The game has had a big overhaul in terms of the tactics screen so you're going to have to forget everything you learnt from FM13 and start again.

I agree with the OP, I thought I knew quite a lot about football and have been playing CM/FM for years but the tactics are completely wasted on me. Personally the whole game is focused too much on tactical perfection without really taking in to account the quality of your players. I'm tweaking my tactics as is the only real suggestion you get on here but it makes no difference. 10 games in with reading after buying Tom Ince for 3.5m?! and I lose to bottom of the league birmingham at home, they drew one lost eight but hammered me 3-1. I love FM like everybody else but because I can't get my head around the tactics it looks like I'm going to be very frustrated.

All I can say is that I went back from FM13 to FM12 after two months of trying to get into it with no success.

So, in answering the initial question, no, certainly not, however bad FM14 may turn out to be.

However it doesn't look like it. Cannot remember so little flaming going on on here ever when the new unfinished version came out. Very promising :)

People even seem to be happy enough to not turn this into a flame-the-OP-thread :)

Archived