The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

With big team definafely 'Rainmaker'. Smaller teams I'm testing and awaiting feedback.

I probably wouldn't change mid season as will not be fluid.

Have to agree . I tried for a couple of games but the creativity level is much different and although i showed potential it was about to ruin my season. Unless something changes I will bring it in at the beginning of my next season.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 14.2 without Retain Possession did not show to be as solid as it was in its early days. Still unsure on what to do. In the last days of the season I devised a S&S14.2_COUNTER (same principle as previous counter versions). It was good enough to make my Flamengo beat Juventus in the final of the CWC 1-0. I don't know how it will behave in the long term. ;)

I will be away for 2 weeks so I have a suggestion, Rosler: even though you are naming each version of the tactic, I'd beg you to number them as well. I think it is easier to track. So, for instance:

S&S_v1

S&S14.2_v2

Solaris_v3

Rainmaker_v4

I know they are not necessarily an evolution of each other, but it helps to think chronologically.

My 14.2 without Retain Possession did not show to be as solid as it was in its early days. Still unsure on what to do. In the last days of the season I devised a S&S14.2_COUNTER (same principle as previous counter versions). It was good enough to make my Flamengo beat Juventus in the final of the CWC 1-0. I don't know how it will behave in the long term. ;)

I will be away for 2 weeks so I have a suggestion, Rosler: even though you are naming each version of the tactic, I'd beg you to number them as well. I think it is easier to track. So, for instance:

S&S_v1

S&S14.2_v2

Solaris_v3

Rainmaker_v4

I know they are not necessarily an evolution of each other, but it helps to think chronologically.

As far as i'm concerned there are only 2 current tactics Silk & Steel 14.2 & Rainmaker.

Obviously other have been 'out there' but they have all evolved into one or the other tactic and should be considered redundant.

I hope i wont need to develop any further tactics at least until the final patch is out in Feb.

Just reading Rainmaker and saw something. For Fulcrum should it be maximum pitch also for this.

Not sure it makes a big difference but yes.

You gonna try 'Rainmaker'?

I'm replicating my Chelsea form with a very poor Stockport team in my first season in the Championship so it seems to work for all teams.

Done a little experiment yesterday with the 14.2 version.

I ran a holiday game while out using and edited DB to have the Faroe Islands active. I picked the top team and set it all up expecting some success.......when I got home later in the day I found I had been sacked after the first season, even though the team finished 3rd.

If anyone is still bothering to play the game properly I have put the 'Rainmaker B' tactic up on post 2 of that thread with explanations of when to use it.

14.2 still working well for me just got Coventry into the Champions League for the 1st time with a 3rd place finish

If anyone is still bothering to play the game properly I have put the 'Rainmaker B' tactic up on post 2 of that thread with explanations of when to use it.

Mr Rosler, i still play the game properly but do not really post in the threads. Your tactics are the best out their and although i'm silent i keenly read your threads, i am still using the Fulcrum v2 and took Forest to 8th in 1st season in Premiership after walking the championship by 17pts and only signing 2 players 1 pre-season and 1 in the window. I have tried silk and steel for a spell of games with erratic results, as mentioned by others beating teams i never expected to beat and losing to smaller teams. There was no logic. I am now preparing for season 3 and will re-introduce silk and steel and am going to download rainmaker and get the team familiar with all 3. I am trying to sign players who fit the system with the attributes you advise, easier said than done as i also feel you need experienced players for the tactics, when i swap experience for youth in certain games (similar attributes) the player ratings drop. It could also just be the AI.

Anyway for someone who doesn't say much iv'e said a lot. but i will keep observing with interest.

(Playing football management games since 1988 zx spectrum).

I'm still finding Fulcrum v2 with a couple of tweaks (cross more for full backs and get forward often for one of the BBM's) and it works the best for my team. Won the Skrill Premier with Luton (finished with 118 pts - new league record!). I will try Rainmaker and give update when I've tried it for a while. Thank you for some brilliant tactics Uwe!

I'm still finding Fulcrum v2 with a couple of tweaks (cross more for full backs and get forward often for one of the BBM's) and it works the best for my team. Won the Skrill Premier with Luton (finished with 118 pts - new league record!). I will try Rainmaker and give update when I've tried it for a while. Thank you for some brilliant tactics Uwe!

Good to see one of the earlier tactics going well :thup:

Well I moved from 14.2 to Rainmaker and can see where the fluidity is lost on creative freedom and tempo. As I have done it early/mid season it is not fully coming to fruition, but this is expected. Not sure if I should revert back to 14.2 for now and have Rainmaker as a backup or try out Solaris

And as if to rub it in.....I change back to the 14.2 against the top of the league team for the next match and beat them 3-1 away.

BTW I am Portsmouth in League 1 in my second season after winning League 2 with the v4 fulcrum

Thought you might like to know 14.2 Silk and steel, played 1 season as a skrill N/S team, the name escapes me now begins with E, skrill south, not ebbsfleet. eastleigh that's it. I only lost 1 game that season, drew 7, won the rest, had over 100 points at the end, insta promoted, love the tactic and thanks a bunch. (Should also be noted that this was with the starting players, bought some subs but that's it.

I gave up with my Athletico save, something just was not right. Started up with Everton and have been using Rainmaker and 14.2 before it. I'm about to play the final game of the season and frankly I am so annoyed I feel like selling the whole squad.

Until 5 games ago we were looking at Champions League football. Since then I have gone on a 5 game loosing sequence. Rainmaker B hasn't helped but I am wondering if that is because I am implementing it after kick off rather than before the match.

Last game of the season I started with Rainmaker B and won 5-0.

Finished 7th 10 points behind Spurs in 4th. Perhaps if I had implemented Rainmaker B earlier and correctly I would have stayed in contention.

I'm a 34 year old man raging at a fictional football team, must keep my rage away from the missus.

I gave up with my Athletico save, something just was not right. Started up with Everton and have been using Rainmaker and 14.2 before it. I'm about to play the final game of the season and frankly I am so annoyed I feel like selling the whole squad.

Until 5 games ago we were looking at Champions League football. Since then I have gone on a 5 game loosing sequence. Rainmaker B hasn't helped but I am wondering if that is because I am implementing it after kick off rather than before the match.

Last game of the season I started with Rainmaker B and won 5-0.

Finished 7th 10 points behind Spurs in 4th. Perhaps if I had implemented Rainmaker B earlier and correctly I would have stayed in contention.

I'm a 34 year old man raging at a fictional football team, must keep my rage away from the missus.

Yeah, plug it in before the game starts.

I also wouldn't mix the Rainmaker tactics AND SS 14.2, i'd go one route or the other as they are quite opposite in many ways.

take a break, strenghten the squad in the off season and come back for more, stronger.

If you want to see what adding even a little bit of quality can do take a look at the Rainmaker thread where i have updated the results of my Stockport save.

Clue.... the first 11 games of my 2nd Championship campaign after adding a bit of quality (using Rainmaker)

r6iu.png

Preseason for season two is about to start. Lots of friendlies against weak teams to ensure the season kicks off with excellent morale. Squad wise i've managed to pick up Victor Valdes on a free (massive signing) and Alexandre Mitrovic to replace Lukaku who returns to Chelsea. Otherwise it is mainly squad players as my squad last year was short on numbers,

Going to stick with Rainmaker and plug in Rainmaker B when loosing. Might chuck in Rainmaker B when I play poor teams to mix it up a bit.

S & S just got Shakhtor Soligorsk into the group stage of the Champions League after a penalty shoot out against Celtic, all the more pleasing as I've had 3 games in a week (one a cup game that went to extra time) so finding 11 players with condition over 90% was abit of a challenge

Saw this tactic mentioned elsewhere and thought I'd have a look, was immediately drawn to it as I used the formation in a previous game (was either FM10 or 11, can't remember) and it was probably the most successful I've had, ended up winning the premier league few times with Telford. While the player roles I had were different, it had the same basic principle as this tactic.

Anyway, started a game as Leeds and the tactic suits the team well seeing as there's no wingers. It's worked brilliantly for me and currently top of the table in late December. Actually might be an issue because there's no way the squad is good enough for the PL yet :D Cheers for the tactic though :thup:

Saw this tactic mentioned elsewhere and thought I'd have a look, was immediately drawn to it as I used the formation in a previous game (was either FM10 or 11, can't remember) and it was probably the most successful I've had, ended up winning the premier league few times with Telford. While the player roles I had were different, it had the same basic principle as this tactic.

Anyway, started a game as Leeds and the tactic suits the team well seeing as there's no wingers. It's worked brilliantly for me and currently top of the table in late December. Actually might be an issue because there's no way the squad is good enough for the PL yet :D Cheers for the tactic though :thup:

It is an underdog tactic, you'll be ok in the Prem :thup:

Where did you hear about it by the way?

Just used Solaris in the Skrill Premier for a season, got fluid around Christmas time... finished 14th (predicted 23rd after Skrill North promotion last season), having scored 87 and conceding 80!

However, my central midfielder won Skrill Premier Player of the Season, thanks to scoring 13 and assisting 26 goals in the league. Complete Forward scored 27 in 39, and False 9 scored 16 in 31 (only 6 assists, lacks Passing and Creativity.

I'm going to try Rainmaker this new season.

We had a dodgy patch through September, October and November, recovered well in December and January but then inconsistent until the end. 18 times we scored 3 or more goals in a game, but 6 of those we didn't win.

Uwe, going to give the Rainmaker a go now, just got to the end of season 2 with Barca frustrated that in the big games where teams 'park the bus' S&S was struggling to break them down. Ironically Chelsea did it to me in the Champions League. Haven't been on the thread for a couple of weeks and it seems discussion has gone the same way I was thinking, which is handy! I'll report back once I've done preseason and some games.

(I'm eventually planning a long-term game with my mighty Potters once I've got to grips fully with FM14 so I'll probably switch back to S&S for that, but for now I'm living the dream with the superstar players down in Catalunya!)

Mr Rosler. I have been messing around over the holiday with my own formations/tactics and looking at some of the third party ones as well. I have had a little go with your silk and steel tactic with both Liverpool and Southport.

I went as far as ten league games with both. Liverpool won nine and lost only to WBA [A] 1-2, surprisingly, as we beat Man, City 3-0 [H] the week before. Southport didn't fare quite so well, not surprisingly. After their ten matches they managed to win six and lose two. As they are favourites for relegation I think that they are doing well.

My main point is as follows. I played your sets without heeding any and all of my assistants in match advice about closing down players, marking players et cetera. Are your sets designed to ignore the assistants advice and if so why do you choose to do this?

I have just replayed one match with my own tactics. Obeying the assistant in the one and ignoring him in the other. Both matches ended in a draw. My own view is thus. If I have made my formation/tactic set I am thinking that obeying him will only upset my overall tactic but I may be incorrect. Likewise, I have been reluctant to implement player instructions for the same reason. I am wondering if I should implement player instructions because I never have. Kind regards.

Mr Rosler. I have been messing around over the holiday with my own formations/tactics and looking at some of the third party ones as well. I have had a little go with your silk and steel tactic with both Liverpool and Southport.

I went as far as ten league games with both. Liverpool won nine and lost only to WBA [A] 1-2, surprisingly, as we beat Man, City 3-0 [H] the week before. Southport didn't fare quite so well, not surprisingly. After their ten matches they managed to win six and lose two. As they are favourites for relegation I think that they are doing well.

My main point is as follows. I played your sets without heeding any and all of my assistants in match advice about closing down players, marking players et cetera. Are your sets designed to ignore the assistants advice and if so why do you choose to do this?

I have just replayed one match with my own tactics. Obeying the assistant in the one and ignoring him in the other. Both matches ended in a draw. My own view is thus. If I have made my formation/tactic set I am thinking that obeying him will only upset my overall tactic but I may be incorrect. Likewise, I have been reluctant to implement player instructions for the same reason. I am wondering if I should implement player instructions because I never have. Kind regards.

Yeah, i never bother with OI's.

It messes up your tactical instructions.

i know other people think differently but I always ignore my AM.

Yeah, i never bother with OI's.

It messes up your tactical instructions.

i know other people think differently but I always ignore my AM.

Muchly thankings Mr Rosler. I'm thinking a little about starting a proper Southport save but them being part time keeps putting me off. I may look at a team in League Two. I think that being LFC may not be too big a challenge with your S&S formation/tactics.

Mr Rosler,

Many thanks for a superb tactic!

Just got Gillingham promoted from League One at the first attempt via the Play Off's, predicted finish 22nd :D

da9ff6ed3dacd9479630_1.jpg da9ff6ed3dacd9479630_2.jpg da9ff6ed3dacd9479630_3.jpg

Followed your instructions to the letter, the only exception being if I noticed the opposition were dominating possession more than I was comfortable with I increased tempo to 'Higher', which seems to do the trick more often than not.

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just to let you know my new tactic 'Dreadnought' is available on my other thread (the Chelsea one) with full explanation of what's it all about.

I will update the front page of this thread when i'm not completely knackered but in the short term see summary of my 3 tactics below.

Silk & Steel 14.2 = Small teams, underdogs and people seeking to move quickly up divisions from lower leagues

Rainmaker - TOP 6 Teams

Dreadnought - Average teams right through to potential Champions (my preferred tactic)

Thanks for your continued feedback and support :brock:

First of all, thanks for great tactic(s)!

Secondly, a question.

I started a new game yesterday, unemployed and sunday league reputation.

You can guess that i did not get to be manager of Barcelona.

The team i got is Kvarnsveden IK in Swedish Second division NS. So, the league is probably about as low as you can go, league reputation is one star.

I joined the team at the late stage of season 2013 (as it had already started on spring and my game started on june).

At that time the team was last in league, heading for relegation.

How ever, with your tactics i was able to win all, but two of the remaining fixtures and those two were draws. I used Silk & Steel as away tactic and Rainmaker B as home tactic.

That gave the final position 10 and relegation survival.

However, seeing your recent post, would you recommend that i only use S&S?

I would want to use more than one tactic, just in case.

I was planning to train S&S, Rainmaker B and Dreadnought for coming season.

S&S to be the main tactic, but Rainmaker B and Dreadnought as backups just in case.

My team does not have great players, however i do have some that are commented as "Leading players" for this division and i have a load of 15/16 years old regens (i had to sign them, because club has no money and when i joined, many of the starting players were those "grey named fill ins".

Those regens all have at least 2 star current and 5 star potential (for this level) so they should serve me fine for the coming season.

First of all, thanks for great tactic(s)!

Secondly, a question.

I started a new game yesterday, unemployed and sunday league reputation.

You can guess that i did not get to be manager of Barcelona.

The team i got is Kvarnsveden IK in Swedish Second division NS. So, the league is probably about as low as you can go, league reputation is one star.

I joined the team at the late stage of season 2013 (as it had already started on spring and my game started on june).

At that time the team was last in league, heading for relegation.

How ever, with your tactics i was able to win all, but two of the remaining fixtures and those two were draws. I used Silk & Steel as away tactic and Rainmaker B as home tactic.

That gave the final position 10 and relegation survival.

However, seeing your recent post, would you recommend that i only use S&S?

I would want to use more than one tactic, just in case.

I was planning to train S&S, Rainmaker B and Dreadnought for coming season.

S&S to be the main tactic, but Rainmaker B and Dreadnought as backups just in case.

My team does not have great players, however i do have some that are commented as "Leading players" for this division and i have a load of 15/16 years old regens (i had to sign them, because club has no money and when i joined, many of the starting players were those "grey named fill ins".

Those regens all have at least 2 star current and 5 star potential (for this level) so they should serve me fine for the coming season.

I would bet you could use S&S exclusively all season and get promoted.

the issue with interchanging between S&S, rainmaker and/or Dreadnought is the latter 2 have a much higher tempo. Difficult for less technical players to handle when mixed with short passing.

And jumping from high tempo to low tempo tactics may mess up your fluidity.

You could use Rainmaker and Dreadnought. Rainmaker against wide formations and Dreadnought against narrow formations. Will likely do a piece on this at some point.

But lower league I would recommend S&S. In fact if I dont get my Championship Stockport side out of the Division this year with Dreadnought I will be going back to S&S myself.

I would bet you could use S&S exclusively all season and get promoted.

the issue with interchanging between S&S, rainmaker and/or Dreadnought is the latter 2 have a much higher tempo. Difficult for less technical players to handle when mixed with short passing.

And jumping from high tempo to low tempo tactics may mess up your fluidity.

You could use Rainmaker and Dreadnought. Rainmaker against wide formations and Dreadnought against narrow formations. Will likely do a piece on this at some point.

But lower league I would recommend S&S. In fact if I dont get my Championship Stockport side out of the Division this year with Dreadnought I will be going back to S&S myself.

Thanks!

I will start with only S&S, but i will keep Dreadnought and Rainmaker B in the tactics training schedule also.

Something about my club finances:

Wage budget 3000€

Transfer budget 0€

That doesn't matter though as majority of my squad is on youth contract with 7€ per week :D

There are some older players with wages ranging from 40€ to 200€.

Would post some pictures, but for some reason i don't seem to be able.

If i try to upload from pc, doesn't work, gives red exclamation mark with "undefined" error.

Links don't seem to work either, invalid url error coming up on those.

edit:

I have mainly played with lower league teams and learned something about team talks.

I never use aggressive, it just makes the players nervous.

I try to be supportive, even when they are not playing that well.

I mainly use passionate, calm and assertive tones.

In away games i never demand a win, even when favorites as it also makes them nervous most of the times.

In fact if I dont get my Championship Stockport side out of the Division this year with Dreadnought I will be going back to S&S myself.

I'm also trying Dreadnought with my newly promoted Gillingham side in the Championship, here's hoping it works as well as S&S did for me last year!

EDIT:

Played first two games with Dreadnought;

Lost 2-0 at home to Brighton

Lost 3-0 away to Torquay (Cup)

Switched back to Silk and Steel;

Won 2-1 away to Doncaster

Won 4-0 home to QPR

Looks like your view that S&S is more suited to underdog sides was spot on!

Pre-season going on and it is looking good.

All tactics (Silk & Steel, Rainmaker B and Dreadnought) are nearly fluid. Which is quite amazing with semi-pro team.

It helps a lot that i already played the late part of last season with these after i got hired to the team.

All squads have played nine friendlies so far (three left).

Senior squad: 9 wins

U21 squad 7wins, 1 draw, 1 loss

U19 squad 7 wins, 2 draws

All teams have been playing the same opponents, opponents have been non league, so even weaker than my team.

The reason i have been playing only weaker opponents is morale building which i learned from Cleon's pre-season guide.

Ok, thought I would update you all on my progress.

Just to be awkward I'm only signing players from UK, Ireland and Scandinavia. (accidentally signed 1 American!)

Season 2 in championship. Beaten in the Play Off final. USING RAINMAKER ALL SEASON

wnz8.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Season 3 in Championship. 2nd place and automatic promotion. USING DREADNOUGHT ALL SEASON

f43y.png

FULL STORY SO FAR - SHOULD BE FAIRLY OBVIOUS WHEN i TOOK OVER.

9uuy.png

Miserable sod that I am, i'm not entiirely happy with any of the tactics so far. :(

First full season going on.

I have been using mainly Silk & Steel, on one game i used Rainmaker B and in a few games i have temporarily switched to Dreadnought after going behind a goal (seems to help most of the times).

Match results so far:

ueqh.jpg

And the table:

7ccc.jpg

So, looking quite promising.

The first loss was quite frustrating, the opponent didn't get any decent chances during the entire game, but they scored one from direct free kick and one from a penalty :D

One question.

Is it normal that opponent has more possession (especially in away matches) when using S&S?

I have noticed that in most away games opponent has 55-60% possession during matches. I have won most of them though, but still would be like to be more in control of the matches.

Same thing sometimes happen in home games, if we take early lead. Right after that possession switches to the opponent.

So, does this happen to others or are my players just not good enough?

Rainmaker is better defensively but by no means 'water night's as it's an attacking tactic.

You should do a lot better next season.

I have gone back to S&S 14.2, and it's working wonders. 12 games gone, winning 9 and losing just 1, conceding only 6 goals. I have changed defensive corners to the below (found elsewhere), and haven't conceding once from a corner once.

30y9.png

Archived