The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

he did well battling with ferrira, then fergie stuck him on the other side for some reason icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, I noticed that. baffling.

and yes gregg, christiano's only 22 (iirc) and still young. I was meant to put that in my first post. so it's all good for your lot, really.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

oh forgot:

ballack will score 15 goals

he might have tbf? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

England midfielder Owen Hargreaves is set to complete a move to Manchester United after Bayern Munich agreed a deal, according to reports in Germany.

Hargreaves's move to the Premiership champions has been agreed according to the website of German magazine Spiegel.

The deal, believed to be worth £17million, will go through once Hargreaves agrees a four-year contract.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer has previously admitted that the player could be sold if the price was right.

The Bundesliga giants have so far refused to grant the 26-year-old's wish to leave for Old Trafford.

from bbc

Huntelaar & Hargreaves signing plus a winger would soon get me over the cup final.

The bad thing with losing a cup final is its the final game of the season so we dont have another game a week later to take our minds off it. Still we have to remember we won the league.

Also on Ronaldo, this isnt a go at Matt Cav but i've noticed if Ronaldo doesnt single handedly win us the big games people straight away get on his back.

People forget that hes 22, he cant be great in all games and more often than not the big teams double up on him.

It also doesnt help that the 4-5-1 be patient and wait thing doesnt suit him or us as a team. he is often left isolated and alone with no help. If he doesnt have people taking other players away he cant find those gaps and has to beat the whole team to do something.

Likewise when he gets down the wing he has to dawdle and stop and allow the defenders back in front of him because he has nobody to pass/cross the ball to.

People say Ronaldo doesnt perform in the big games but you look at the big games and hes usually our best player, especially in europe with our awful away displays.

I'm not going to say he performed in the cup final or against Milan away but then we werent geared up to attack, we played to stop the other side and as usual it cost us.

On his free kicks. Give him one from 35 yards plus and hes great. Close in though his power shots dont work because the wall isnt far enough away. It does frustrate as well because i've seen him bend them before like these two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This post can be safely condensed into; I am a twat. By Westandred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take no notice WSR.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Huntelaar & Hargreaves signing plus a winger would soon get me over the cup final.

The bad thing with losing a cup final is its the final game of the season so we dont have another game a week later to take our minds off it. Still we have to remember we won the league.

Also on Ronaldo, this isnt a go at Matt Cav but i've noticed if Ronaldo doesnt single handedly win us the big games people straight away get on his back.

People forget that hes 22, he cant be great in all games and more often than not the big teams double up on him.

It also doesnt help that the 4-5-1 be patient and wait thing doesnt suit him or us as a team. he is often left isolated and alone with no help. If he doesnt have people taking other players away he cant find those gaps and has to beat the whole team to do something.

Likewise when he gets down the wing he has to dawdle and stop and allow the defenders back in front of him because he has nobody to pass/cross the ball to.

People say Ronaldo doesnt perform in the big games but you look at the big games and hes usually our best player, especially in europe with our awful away displays.

I'm not going to say he performed in the cup final or against Milan away but then we werent geared up to attack, we played to stop the other side and as usual it cost us.

On his free kicks. Give him one from 35 yards plus and hes great. Close in though his power shots dont work because the wall isnt far enough away. It does frustrate as well because i've seen him bend them before like these two.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct young man icon14.gif

disappointing.

was in a pub with a good mix of Chelsea and United fans, good atmosphere until the Giggs 'goal'. Then one of the Chelsea fans became an absolute spanner, asking everyone for a fight, removing his felt tip pen created t-shirt and became the epitomy of a bad winner. The majority of the Chelsea fans said they'd rather have the Premiership than the FA Cup.

MOM: Vidic - absolutely immense against Drogba, kept him quiet almost the whole of the game. However Drogba showed why he is one of the best goalscorers in football at the moment, as the one chance he got he stuck it away.

2nd: Scholes and Rooney - just kept on going

AFFG: O'Shea - lets Lampard free during the build up, then failed to cover the run of Drogba.

I asked Matt this last night, but who would you all imagine would make way for Hargreaves in the starting XI?

Carrick is the obvious one, but it'd be harsh to relegate him after the season he's had. Scholes is obviously unmoveable and you're not going to spend £19m on Hargreaves to have him as backup, so are you going to move to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 more permanently? Could it see the beginning of Giggs being phased out, and Rooney/Ronaldo/Park being used as the wide players in the 4-3-3?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

if not the 4-3-3 then I dont really see why you're signing him tbh, Carrick does a perfectly good job in the middle with Scholes, and Fletcher is a more than capable backup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As seen against Milan we need an Owen Hargreaves. Fletcher and Carrick are not that type of player.

And 4-4-2 for me all the way.

Without getting into it at this moment we need a player like Hargreaves and i'll be delighted should we get him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This post can be safely condensed into; I am a twat. By Westandred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming he thought you were condoning what happened on the tube etc, which you clearly were not. Just giving an account of your day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Alfonso Alves - Heerenveen (Mirror)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Jean Makoun - Lille (L'Equipe)

Florent Malouda - Lyon (Sky Sports)

Rio Mavuba - Bordeaux (Mirror)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Nathan Porritt - Middlesbrough (Times)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough (Super soaraway sun)

Running Total: 24

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly others elsewhere today no doubt. But Dad got the Mirror today so didnt get a chance to browse the papers in the Shop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Man Utd and Bayern have agreed the fee so says Mika and SSN. Great stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just a case of the medical then (he currently has a knee injury)

Fingers crossed he isnt our only signing and we can get a winger. Come on Nani.

I dont believe we have the money to sign a forward as well but if we did that would be dream land. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Raise money from selling every fringe player, loaning out every youth player, and actually deciding we will let Ronaldo go to Madrid after all

If we need to raise money there shouldnt be a reason we cant let go of 2 of Silvestre, Brown & Heinze and promote Pique & Evans to first team status.

Then just sell Richardson if we can and if Fergie really has lost faith in Sahas injury record then him too.

Should finance a forward and one of our reserves can replace Richardson. Kieran Lee in defence and Eagles/Martin cant do any worse in midfield whether you rate them or not.

Fingers crossed he isnt our only signing and we can get a winger. Come on Nani.

I dont believe we have the money to sign a forward as well but if we did that would be dream land. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if we somehow manage to get a winger as well, we're looking at Owen or Defoe at best for up front.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

if we sign a winger as well as OH id be happy to take defoe for 7mill, or owen for 10 or so. thats of course if we dont sell saha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't see where else we'd get the funds from if we didn't sell him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

if we sign a winger as well as OH id be happy to take defoe for 7mill, or owen for 10 or so. thats of course if we dont sell saha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARE YOU AVIN A LAFF?

I don't want Defoe at United. - If he comes and proves me wrong, fair enough. But i dont think he's good enough for United.

As for Owen? What is the point in replacing the Injury Prone Saha with another Injury Prone player who may or may not be able to recapture his previous good form?

Am I alone in believing that we need a striker more than a winger right now?

I mean when you look at our stock of forwards, only Rooney is good enough/fit enough to be a constant starter for us at the moment. This season we were lucky in that we got half a season out of Saha, Ole chipped in with some valuable goals (looked less and less of the player he was as the season went on) and that we managed to Larsson on loan midway through the season.

I can't see us getting more than half a season out of saha again, ole has faded a lot icon_frown.gif, smith tbh isn't good enough to be anything other than backup and rossi isn't an out and out striker plus he has yet to prove himself in England.

So unless we are going to get another miracle loan to cover for Saha when he inevitably comes down with a minor cold and believes he's got pneumonia, a striker is essential if we want to compete for the league again.

If we do get someone like Berbatov, that would allow us to start with him and Rooney, have Smith and Ole as backup/impact sub and loan out Rossi to Sunderland for the first half of the season.

you mention our problems up front, but the wing situation is equally bad/worse.

Giggs just doesnt play there anymore, and Richardson isnt a footballer.

That leaves us with Ronnie and Park, the latter of whom isnt even going to be fit for the start of the season.

Unless Fergie wants to do away with old fashioned winger formation altogether, we need one sooner than we need a striker where despite the flaws - the fact is we do have numbers to play up there.

We only have one Winger who is good enough considering how serious Park's injury is. Giggs can't cut it anymore as anything other than an Impact player.

We have Two or three Strikers who can fit the bill if they're fully fit and firing on all cylinders.

If Saha is fit and not sulking, he's good enough. When Smith is on form, like he was against Roma, he can be destructive. Rossi could potentially do alright there and Ole is still ok as a backup when needs must.

We DESPERATELY need a winger. We do need a Striker, but it's not as urgent in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

This Anderson guy any good then, if we've given up on Nani? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he rules, but isn't a winger. he's kaka mkII

Don't get me wrong, I still think we are in dire need of another winger.

I kinda reckon it will come down to the formation Ferguson is thinking off playing. We could see something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

XXXX

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

</pre>

In which case a striker is priority or:

Rooney Saha/Smith

XXXX Scholes Hargreaves/Carrick Ronaldo

</pre>

In which case a winger is priority and another striker fairly essential.

Hope this works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Lets face it, if we were perming two from three of who we need, Hargreaves should have been behind a winger then a striker in terms of priority. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the fact that Hargreaves has been our priority makes me wonder if we are looking to play with 3 central midfielders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Berbatov

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

Evra Rio Vidic Nev

</pre>

would be lovely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was going to pencil Berbatov's name in but thought it might be tempting fate. I'd not mind so much if we didn't sign a winger as long as we got Berbatov.

Archived