The state of the commentators.

Suggy33

Lots of mixed press about some of them. ITV been pretty terrible as expected, but even BBC with Neville (monotone) and Pearce (goal line technology kerfuffle) haven't been perfect.

Simon Brotherton gotta be one of my favourites though, cracking job tonight on BBC for the Spain/Chile game.

Full list of commentators/co-commentators to come (let me know who I've missed out - there's loads):

BBC

Simon Brotherton

Danny Murphy

Phil Neville

Jonathan Pearce

Mark Lawrenson

Robbie Savage

Martin Keown

Guy Mowbray

ITV

Clive Tyldesley

Andy Townsend

Clark Carlisle

Lee Dixon

Neville was monotone, but I think he has potential, what he actually said did make sense (if you ignored the tone). You only have to look how his brother or Lineker did on their first time commentating/punditing (is that a word) to see how bad they were then they first started.

Neville was monotone, but I think he has potential, what he actually said did make sense (if you ignored the tone). You only have to look how his brother or Lineker did on their first time commentating/punditing (is that a word) to see how bad they were then they first started.

I agree, surely the bbc should have given him experience beforehand then?

I actually enjoyed Mark Lawrenson the other night, can't remember what game it was (possibly Argentina - Bosnia), but weirdly enough he talked sense and it seemed like he'd done some background research on the players.

Andy Townsend, on the other hand, just does not have a clue.

People do go OTT with how bad they claim commentators are, but some really are terrible. Sometimes hilariously so. Pearce with the technology was an embarrassment (funny though) and Clarlise wondering why Jackson Martinez wasn't in the Ecuador squad was excellent too.

Oh god, Robbie Savage was dreadful for Russia/Korea last night.

that was Keown, who was also awful, he just had a miserable time. I don't know what the point in having these miserable co-commentators who can't even pretend to be excited to be at one of the best World Cups in a long time.

BBC missed a trick by not bringing Mick back for this WC.

Too right. He was always there to liven up a 3pm dead rubber in group G or the second round game that no-one cares about.

Could actually call a game and say what was going through the minds of the players as well, until one did something mental and he would say how thick they all were. Voice of the World Cup.

I miss Gray and Tyler, everyone else just isn't as good.

I've thought Keown has been good, speaks well and knows what he's on about. Which has surprised me as he looks like a daft thug.

ITV have been terrible.

Watching youtube clips from other countries though, our commentators are way better than most.

SBS here in Australia have been good so far. Commentators have been Martin Tyler, Peter Drury, Gary Bloom and a few others, I think. David Basheer and Craig Foster for the Australia matches. Mostly ex-Socceroos as pundits, and the analysis has been pretty good. I feel like I'm missing out though, given all the complaining I've seen about the UK commentary :D

Really not a fan of Carlisle at all, he just grates on me for some reason. I don't mind Lawro either, in his defence he does make some comments about what is going on, it's just diluted by the moaning.

Mowbray can stop with the preprepared puns as well, they're awful. Needs lessons from James Richardson.

I've gone back to watching the games on RTE (Ireland). They've got Jim Beglin back co-commentating and he's always been one of my favourites. However the amount of commentators mispronouncing names and getting players mixed up is shocking. Then there's Brian Kerr who knows his stuff but struggles a bit.

Even the pundits on BBC/ITV have been annoying me. I'll stick to Dunphy, Didi and co

I like Keown because he doesn't say anything stupid but more importantly he will call out stupidity by the other commentator like he did with Pearce or the one yesterday.

Danny Murphy has been the biggest surprise though, in a good way.

I think the worst thing about the likes of Dixon/Townsend/Koewn or whoever acting as a co-commentator is when they lament the "modern game" and ramble on about how much better it was in their day.

I mean, any human in general talking about how the past was so much better than now isn't worth listening to but when their job is commentating at the biggest football event in the world, at one of the most exciting world cups in a long time and all they can do is go on about how people dive nowadays and how nobody ever conceded a goal from man marking it really just starts to get on my nerves.

The displays of total ignorance are staggering sometimes. Lineker constantly referring to 'America' the other night, Sofiane Feghouli repeatedly called 'Foogly', commentators describing teams they're commentating on as 'unknown quantities' and displaying no knowledge of the teams or players they're commentating on, disparaging various leagues and making patently ludicrous comparisons with English football etc etc etc.

It's getting to the stage where the vast majority of it is unlistenable, there's no actual interesting or entertaining comment, and the only memorable thing about it is the sheer number of foul-ups, gaffs, mis-pronounced names etc. It's quite apparent that very few of these highly paid commentators, presenters, and pundits have actually performed any research whatsoever.

Nothing has yet topped Martin O'Neill from a few years back though. :D

I like Keown because he doesn't say anything stupid but more importantly he will call out stupidity by the other commentator like he did with Pearce or the one yesterday.

Danny Murphy has been the biggest surprise though, in a good way.

Yep, pretty much agree there. Keown's pretty inoffensive even if he's not saying anything particularly remarkable, and Murphy's frequently the only one who sounds like he's actually familiar with the teams and players he's talking about.

I actually enjoyed Mark Lawrenson the other night, can't remember what game it was (possibly Argentina - Bosnia), but weirdly enough he talked sense and it seemed like he'd done some background research on the players.

Andy Townsend, on the other hand, just does not have a clue.

I laughed when Mark Lawrenson started talking about watching Gio dos Santos play at Real Mallorca a few seasons back. Nothing wrong with what he said but there's no way he watched Real Mallorca matches :D

That reminds of what eldeniro tweeted before the Algeria/Belgium game that 'Belgium vs Algeria will be a discussion about how Bougherra played for Charlton and Januzaj could have played for England when he couldn't'

and low and behold, 3 minutes in, a discussion about Bougherra playing for Charlton started :D

I've not listened to 5 Live during games but their content around the matches has been largely superb, except for Waddle and Mills. Brad Friedel is very good.

Yep,Brad Friedel very good Brazil/Mexico game,i like 5live before the game instead of the pundits on normal TV,Mills(alternative commentary)do I not like that:D

I've watched one BBC late game with the option of no commentary Japan I think,had a job to stay awake lol

Murphy's alright, but the feeling I got from last night was if he was to get an England game, I think he could have a goalgasm at some point.

No chance (of England scoring)

Danny Murphy has been decent though, maybe it is just me but Phil Neville is no more dreary sounding than his brother.

Did anyone hear Robbie Savage laying into Clint Dempsey for not singing the national anthem, seconds after he'd just scored for USA ?

Commentator goes "But they'll forgive him that now! 1-0!!" and Savage retorts "No I'm not sure I would. Not singing the anthem, it's a disgrace for me."

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did anyone hear Robbie Savage laying into Clint Dempsey for not singing the national anthem, seconds after he'd just scored for USA ?

Commentator goes "But they'll forgive him that now! 1-0!!" and Savage retorts "No I'm not sure I would. Not singing the anthem, it's a disgrace for me."

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The bit that annoys me most is the stupid usage of the words "for me". Its so overused, Andy Townsend is the worst. "Nah, thats not a penalty for me" or "that was a dive for me".

The bit that annoys me most is the stupid usage of the words "for me". Its so overused, Andy Townsend is the worst. "Nah, thats not a penalty for me" or "that was a dive for me".

For me, Andy Townsend is one of the worst things in existence

Archived