dafuge's FM15 challenge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im into my second season as Blyth as well. Maguire, Hooks and Nicholson are all fantastic players. Although Maguire was getting more goals for me. How many assists did he get for you? I also signed Tom Beadling funnily enough, halfway through my second season and he has been a rock.

Hi Guys!

For the first time in a long time, I'm not only playing FM again, and enjoying it, but felt like taking a stab at my man dafuge's challenge!

I'm not sure how much I'll play, and how often I'll post, but in my down time, I will most certainly keep at it!

So.....

here is my brand new Manager Profile!

That's right, I decided to do what FM08 never done, and bring Andrew Smylie, the Knockbreda Legend in to management in the lower tiers of English football, taking on Dulwich Hamlet.

An interesting fact about myself and D. Hamlet, is that a good old 15 years ago, I actually played for this team in real life, when they were in the then Dr. Martin league, many moons ago, so this has a very personal touch for me, and hopefully I can take them up through the divisions, and bring them glory.

:)

If I downloaded a DB that had Levels 10 or possibly below would it be possible to start as a team at that level? Someone like Southend Manor was my thinking.

No. There is sometimes a challenge for that floating around. This one is for the allocated teams only who can get promoted into the Conference North/South

Just conceded 5 first half goals to set pieces(2 corners, 3 long throws). I also have (had?) one of the best defenses in the league and for match preparation I was defending set pieces. Has anyone else been having issues from corners/ long throws?

I was having issues with the same thing something I done which seems to have reduced this is by having someone with decent heading to zonal mark the 6 yard box.

First half of the season done and its not going well. Staying up from here will be a massive achievement. Lost top scorer as I plebed and didn't realise he was on a non contract and I couldn't match the other offer. Bottom, 2 points adrift and 7 from safety.

Ive just been relegated from L2 back to the conference, Ive reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup twice, 4th round once. Ive won the FA Trophy and got to another final.

Ilkeston from Evo-Stik North Premier have beaten me to 3 amazing signings this summer.

Really annoying now, I thought it was a rep issue at first before I started getting promotions, but now its clearly just wrong.

Ive just been relegated from L2 back to the conference, Ive reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup twice, 4th round once. Ive won the FA Trophy and got to another final.

Ilkeston from Evo-Stik North Premier have beaten me to 3 amazing signings this summer.

Really annoying now, I thought it was a rep issue at first before I started getting promotions, but now its clearly just wrong.

What is your rep in relation to Ilkeston, is it higher. It clearly should be.

I am back in for the eigth or ninth year (I think it is nine but cannot remember who the ninth team I've managed is?) I was going to manage Marine for the third time but I couldn't get them to come up and instead settled for returning to FC United after managing them in FM09 (interestingly this challenge has been going longer than FC Utd have been around :eek:)

Manager Profile - Decided to go with a tactical manager and threw my points into player knowledge in the hopes of making it easier to find players, though it may be a bit of a mistake as I am forced to take control of most of the training areas with just half a star thanks to a lack of coaches.

Currently 20 games in and we are having a mixed season, started with two wins but then lost four in a row, but have hopefully now found a system that is working and have won the last five games, though at the end of that my players have revolted - it started with a Young Midfielder who moaned about wanting first team football, gave him a chance and he played badly offered him out and Hereford actually gave me £2K for him (think that is the quickest I've ever managed to sell a player for money before) though his sale angered my Keeper and several more players, and a few days later several players moaned about us underachieving despite being on a unbeaten run and I now have most of my squad unhappy :(

Rather annonyingly despite all the many new options we can select to make players happy, it still didn't have the options I wanted - when players were unhappy about sale of player there was an option to say I'd buy new players but no option to say I'd already brought in a new player, same with underachieving moaners, an option to say I'd change tactics was there, but no option to say I'd already sorted out the tactics and we were improving, the best option I had was trust me and it's safe to say the players didn't :(

Though the best new chat option is when you can talk to a player to try and persuade him to join you and one of the options is you'll get the club into Europe whist being a non-league side :D

Also not sure if this is an FC Utd thing but I seem to actually be making money - I've brought in £600K by November (giving me a a balance of £300K) compared to the £300K I earned all season at Fylde in FM14, we actually have the highest attendance in the league (though still only 50% full) with an average attendance of ~2,000 (which is 10 times Fyldes attendance).

Marine AFC

Season Summary 15/16

Vanarama North

Final Position 19th

Well, that was a tough first season. We spent most of it in the bottom 5 and survived thanks to our rival also losing their last game of the season.

The highlight of the season was an epic 4-3 win away to Hyde early in the season. 3-0 down after 30 mins, but an amazing comeback secured the win and what I hoped would be the turning point of the season. How very wrong I was.

I have to blame myself for an awful transfer policy this first season. First I gave new contracts to a lot of no-hopers as I wasnt sure what kind of players I could attract later.

Then fell for the temptation to sign far too many free agents. Ended up the season with 48 players(!) included U21's and U18's. Obviously I pushed the wage limit to the max and we're now solid in the red. SOLID.

A couple of good signings though:

Michael Crank: Top scorer and my main man upfront. But 16yo and a nervous wreck before most games so had his off-days.

Eric Grimes: Brought some much needed stability at the back early in the season

Academy prospects:

Keith Flynn: High hopes for this kid.

Need to improve for next season.

First step is to trim the squad, then hopefully bring in 4-5 players who'll strengthen the first XI considerably.

Going to try to play a narrow 4-3-3 to limit the number of positions that needs covering

Year	League	Pos.	Champ.L	Uefa	FA.Cup	Cap.One	JPT	FAT 	Achievement
15/16	Van N	19th	None	None	2ndQual	None	None	3rd Rnd	None

Kingstonian - Vanarama South - Season 2016/17

League Table - 2 places higher but 2 points worse then last season. Didn't score enough goals (top scorer had 18) concede too many. We were consistently inconsistent.

FA Cup - a good run to the 1st round proper were we had league 1 Blackpool away, a draw there gave us a reply and netted us around £100k.

FA Trophy - not much to see here, out in 1st round

Transfers - not the turnover I expected as I, foolishly in the end, kept faith with the players from the season before

Squad - not good enough, big turnover this summer

Finances - despite the cup run still really really awful

Key Players

Lyle Della Verde - 18 goals and 18 assists - the star man. Also won Conference South Player of the Season.

Sam Page - my only consistent CB

Andrei Baciu - CM did a job

Danny Lennard - consistent

Fraser Colmer - RB wasn't as good as last season but still played every game. Need him to sign a new deal.

Career Overview

Season    League                     Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South  16th
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South  14th     

HAHAHAHAHA - The irony... with all my transfer targets.

Going to give this a go with The Steelmen, Corby Town FC. Corby has a strong Scottish heritage so I went with that for my nationality and will try paying particular attention to Scotland.

Looks like we have a nice young striker to build around in 23 year old Welshman Elliott Chamberlain. He saw some time on the Wales U21 team. We also have a goalkeeper who should be good for this level in James Beasant.

Add a couple of pretty good passers in the midfield and I think I'm going to try a possession based 4-3-3 DM Wide formation as our base.

Our board just wants us to stay up and half my team thinks that's too ambitious a goal. Should be interesting.

Having a somewhat interesting time as Dulwich Hamlet so far. Sat 16th in the league after 24 games, only 5 points ahead of the relegation spaces, but only 10 points away from the promotion spots. It's a frustrating league, with many many injuries and fitness problems, and for me specifically, I find I'm losing narrowly in every game I lose. I'm yet to be battered by any team at all, and feel with a few key signings, could easily push for promotion next season, however finding those players with such limited resources is proving impossible.

Also losing a huge chunk of money each month, but the task for the season was to steer clear of relegation, so anything else I guess is a bonus.

I love this game at times, couldn't play 4-4-2 in my first game, cobble together a 4-5-1, and draw 2-2 with Lowestoft, then go to Hyde 2 days later, with a couple of U21s called into the squad so I could go at them and play 4-3-3. One of them conspires to score a cracker... :D

Evertonblokes Billericay 16/17 and 17/18 Seasons

Two for one? Like the Ambassador I am really spoiling you!

Or am I? Looking back at the two seasons I am not so sure theres much good happening outside the first month of each season!

In 16/17 we started strong in the league after about 8 games was in the play-off spots and I was feeling confident of my previous posts target of reaching the playoffs. Sadly we couldn't maintain it and form steadily dropped and by the end of the season we were down to 9th, not so bad considering the media prediction of 21st, but after the strong start it was quite hard to take.

Cup were useless, out early in both.

On the plus side I got the wages back under control by removing the appearance fees so that was good, still made a loss over the year though.

A few new signings done by trialling a bunch of players for each position I needed and we were into the 17/18 season.

And what a start we made, top of the table after 8ish games and going great guns, I thought this is it, this is the season we go up, this is going to be an easy season. I couldn't have been more wrong, follow that up with 6 losses on the bounce and I am fuming at it! I hadn't changed anything, attacking at home, counter away. Surely after 8 games teams are not reassessing us are they? I understand a prolonged challenge from a poor team makes the oppo more cautious but after just 8 games.

I couldn't believe it, then I made a cardinal sin, mid season complete change of tactics, and that was pretty much it, never found form, just dropping steadily down the table, I thought we were safe from relegation though due to the good start and the odd win or draw when the oppo didn't bother to turn up.

Once again I was proven wrong, with a herculean effort my boys managed to lose the last 8 games of the season, yes that right 8 games without a point to snatch relegation on the last game of the season, they better be pound.

I don't mind admitting I considered handing back my man card.

So that was that, 20th and relegated, strangely the board didn't mind and I wasn't sacked immediately, media prediction was 22nd (after my 9th place finish???) so they kept me on until the 24th June when the game updated.

Evertonbloke and the Job Centre

After the previous post you would probably be expecting; so I started again; so I'm done with this; so I took over a prem club.

I did not do that, I calmed down and thought about what happened. 3 years, predicted 22nd, 21st, 22nd respectively. Even in that last season, even messing about with unfamiliar tactics I still did better than expected. I had to go on.

So down to the Job Centre on the 25th, there 4 possible teams without managers, Oxford City and Margate in the conf south and a couple I don't remember up north. As Oxford City aren't on the list in the first post I don't think I can do the challenge with them, but Margate ARE on the list. How hard can it be to get a job with them?

I applied and they didn't immediately thank their lucky stars and hire me, in fact the released a press statement saying I wasn't even first choice but would be considered. Cheeky buggers I thought.

I was duly offered an interview and I couldn't believe what happened, this aspect of the game is brilliant!

How do you think you can handle the step up? STEP UP????!!! Are you mental? You've spent the last 10 years in the 7th tier? I'm doing you a favour mate!

You got relegated at your last club, how do we know this wont happen here? Well, we were predicted to be relegated so it would have happened to anyone.

Same question again, but without the option to answer the same. *assertive* I will never let that happen again.

Minimum Expectations are mid table..... Are you having a laugh mate? Mid table minimum, you have just come up? But yeah sure no problem!

I was wondering why they were being so aloof, not first choice to hire me, mid table expectations, then it suddenly became clear -

What do you think about the transfer budget of £170,000 to achieve a mid table finish? *falls off chair* I'll have money???? I mean, yeah that's more than enough!

What do you think about a £9,000 a week wage budget to achieve a mid table finish? *climbs back on chair to enable falling off again* YES, that's way more than I need (Billericay had £4,000)

Any philosphies you would like to be judged on should you get the job? Bringing kids through is always a good idea so that would be good, I'll say that.

Thanks for coming, we'll let you know in due course.........

So that's where we are.

Summary:

15/16 Billericay - Conf South - 13th

16/17 Billericay - Conf South - 9th

17/18 Billericay - Conf South - 20th - Relegated

18/19 Currently Unemployed

Evertonbloke and the Job Centre

After the previous post you would probably be expecting; so I started again; so I'm done with this; so I took over a prem club.

I did not do that, I calmed down and thought about what happened. 3 years, predicted 22nd, 21st, 22nd respectively. Even in that last season, even messing about with unfamiliar tactics I still did better than expected. I had to go on.

So down to the Job Centre on the 25th, there 4 possible teams without managers, Oxford City and Margate in the conf south and a couple I don't remember up north. As Oxford City aren't on the list in the first post I don't think I can do the challenge with them, but Margate ARE on the list. How hard can it be to get a job with them?

I applied and they didn't immediately thank their lucky stars and hire me, in fact the released a press statement saying I wasn't even first choice but would be considered. Cheeky buggers I thought.

I was duly offered an interview and I couldn't believe what happened, this aspect of the game is brilliant!

How do you think you can handle the step up? STEP UP????!!! Are you mental? You've spent the last 10 years in the 7th tier? I'm doing you a favour mate!

You got relegated at your last club, how do we know this wont happen here? Well, we were predicted to be relegated so it would have happened to anyone.

Same question again, but without the option to answer the same. *assertive* I will never let that happen again.

Minimum Expectations are mid table..... Are you having a laugh mate? Mid table minimum, you have just come up? But yeah sure no problem!

I was wondering why they were being so aloof, not first choice to hire me, mid table expectations, then it suddenly became clear -

What do you think about the transfer budget of £170,000 to achieve a mid table finish? *falls off chair* I'll have money???? I mean, yeah that's more than enough!

What do you think about a £9,000 a week wage budget to achieve a mid table finish? *climbs back on chair to enable falling off again* YES, that's way more than I need (Billericay had £4,000)

Any philosphies you would like to be judged on should you get the job? Bringing kids through is always a good idea so that would be good, I'll say that.

Thanks for coming, we'll let you know in due course.........

So that's where we are.

Summary:

15/16 Billericay - Conf South - 13th

16/17 Billericay - Conf South - 9th

17/18 Billericay - Conf South - 20th - Relegated

18/19 Currently Unemployed

Wow, that's some crazy money right there. How have they become so well off?

Skelmersdale United

Season Summary 23/24

League One

Final Position 2nd

Following last seasons 3rd place, we went into the season with high hopes. Media prediction of 3 and board expectation of playoffs seemed perfectly fine. We were always in the race for the title (graph) and probably should have taken it. Some decisions to rest a few players here and there cost some silly points. After 44th round and 2 points ahead of West Brom, it was up to ourselves if we wanted the title, but a 1-2 defeat home to Bury, saw West Brom climb ahead of us. Come final game day, we did what we were supposed to do and beat Crewe 3-1 away. Unfortunately, West Brom won their last game 2-1 and clinged the title with 1 measly point more.

As the season progressed we had several Jekyll and Hyde games. We managed to beat several stong teams, especially in the cups. In the league, we struggled against teams we shouldn't struggle with and at same time, performed extremely well vs the good teams.

The Cups were a mixed experience. Fa Cup we exited fast in the 3rd round. In the Capital One Cup however we reached the final. Our defensive playstyle proved really good vs the higher rep teams. We beat QPR (PRM) Wolves (CH) second year in a row. Tottenham (PRM) Reading (PRM) and in the semi final we drew Arsenal. Did expect to loose his game. But with a 1-0 loss at Emirates and a 4-2 win at home. Granted Arsenal did in no way field their first team for the matches, it was still and proud moment of us, as we marched on to the final. Playing Man City at Wembley was a huge game for our finances, and only loosing 1-0 was brilliant.

Some of the larger clubs started to poach my players this season, buying some with the minimum release clause (Vinny Long was the hardest player to loose, but good sale) and others I had to sell, as they were complaining alot, when i declined transfer offers. As it stands now I wont be able to renew contracts with the current "stars", unless the allowed wages goes up significantly in the Championship.

Noteworthy players of the season:

Jack Mills: GK - Enjoyed his performance this year. 22 clean sheets and our first year, where a keeper let few goals in, than games played!

Richard Tipple: DR - finallly started to hit those crosses and make some assists. Unsure of his potential for next year, but he was good this year.

Tom Laskowski: DC - Rock of our defense.

Paddy Forrester: DL/DC/MC - Rose up and showed his value this season. He played all over due to small squad.

Steve Gough: MC - Our best midfielder, had another great season. Doesn't score or make that many assists, but his tackles and passing is amazing.

Kellan Gordon: AMR - Had a good season, but I think he is probably close to his level of play now, so this is an area which needs improved.

Derek Kelly: AML - Still going strong and our biggest star. 6 goals and 28 assists and Player of the Year, for the second time (gogo Skelmers own Messi)

Scott Carpenter: MC - Was our long missed midfielder and a bargain buy from Oldham. Transfer listed and available for 2.3K Was originally bought by Arsenal in 2014, released signed by Sunderland. Released and signed by Oldham.

David Doyle: SC - Top scorer for the second year with 24 goals.

Steffan Griffiths: SC - Had an acceptable season with 20 goals. But oh boy, this lad constantly runs offside.

Year	League	Pos.	Champ.L	Uefa	FA.Cup	Cap.One	JPT	FAT 	Achievement
15/16	Van N	11th	None	None	3d.Qual	None	None	3rd Rnd	None
16/17	Van N	1st	None	None	1st Rnd	None	None	4th Rnd	Promoted!
17/18	Conf	18th	None	None	1st Rnd	None	None	1st Rnd	Survived!
18/19	Conf	9th	None	None	2nd Rnd	None	None	1st Rnd None
19/20	Conf	1st	None	None	3rd Rnd	None	None	4th Rnd	Promoted!
20/21	L2	12th	None	None	4th Rnd	2nd Rnd	1st Rnd	None	None
21/22	L2	1st	None	None	5th Rnd	2nd Rnd	Semi F	None	Promoted!
22/23	L1	3rd	None	None	4th Rnd	2nd Rnd	Qtr F	None	None
23/24	L1	2nd	None	None	3rd Rnd	Final	1st Rnd	None	Promoted, Capital One Runner Up

Is it just me or is every goal we score a beautifully crafted piece of tactical brilliance created by pinpoint passes, whereas every goal conceded is either a set piece or a defensive mix-up after a huge punt up field?

You mean like, when opponents suddenly scores a goal from 55 yards out - or shoots at keepers knee and he forgets he has hands? :D

You mean like, when opponents suddenly scores a goal from 55 yards out - or shoots at keepers knee and he forgets he has hands? :D

Yes, exactly that.

Why don't we ever score those? All of our goals look like something out of a 'greatest goals of the century' compilation.

I find the following to be consistent, not just via lower leagues but all leagues

- Goals from corners are too common.

- Direct free kicks being scored are too common.

- Goals from other set pieces, be it FK's or throw ins are too common

- GK's take FK's and then stand still leaving an open net resulting in a 50 yard screamer.

- goals are either incredible scrappy, or works of magic, there is no in between, no average goal.

- GK > RW > ST > GOAL seems to be a valid method of attack.

Curzon Ashton - Sishuttleworth's End of Season One Update

jAwKlj3.jpg

Well, the first season has taken a while (partly due to the new baby in the house, which I really can't complain about :-) ), but I'm relatively pleased with the outcome.

League

We managed to finish 9th in the Conference North

oBJVu5y.png

Cups

The FA Trophy saw us go out in the fourth round against Halifax, but the real boost was a run to the third round of the FA Cup, where we went out against eventual winners Everton

SBknAeB.png

Squad

The basis of what was a really pleasing first season was a settled team, with 8 players making more than 40 starts. Unfortunately, this has meant many of my squad players becoming unsettled. Will probably look at moving some of them on in the close season, and slimming down the squad and wage bill.

CY3532H.png

Key Players

Alex Brown - heartbeat of the team as the deep-lying playmaker

MstrPHQ.png

Matty Warburton - top-scorer, equally comfortable playing up front, or inside-forward, coming in from the right.

rpSBYNC.png

Tom Walker - Unexpected star performer, playing inside forward on the left

2myvRWY.png

Archived