Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Svendborg - season 2- danish division two west

Not much to say here apart from exactly the same as last year, ending below expectations and in the end my contract wasn't renewed. Thus, I have decided to take it up again, this time in Northern Ireland with Portglenone.

the newest version of ME!

Season already begun, huuuuuge underdog for every one of my games so far, still somehow tipped to get promoted with a bit of luck. All I'm targetting is staying in the division and, as my board tells me, enjoy every single cup.

Here I go, again...

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fail. icon_frown.gif

I seem incapable of keeping a job for longer then a season or not getting relegated in this challenge.

I've started over again with Croatia. If this goes wrong I may be the first manager to fail in four different countries. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Spagbol:

Fail. icon_frown.gif

I seem incapable of keeping a job for longer then a season or not getting relegated in this challenge.

I've started over again with Croatia. If this goes wrong I may be the first manager to fail in four different countries. icon_rolleyes.gif

good luck - 4th time lucky

Originally posted by Spagbol:

Fail. icon_frown.gif

Just go to N. Ireland. it's impossible to fail there. icon14.gif

Tandragee Update - Season 1..!! (35/36)

To Begin......

Douglas Quits Knockbreda - After 27 seasons with the club, Douglas tries to emulate his past, by taking on newcomers Tandragee

Mass Exodus - Upon leaving the club, Douglas had a lot of very close friends who decided to move on after Douglas departed. These included Lee Rutherford, Kyle Wallace and long time hero Paul Wallace

Tandragee give Douglas Job - It's official.! Tandragee's first season in competitive football will be under Douglas' management.!

Tandragee's First Impressions

This will just be a few screenies of what I walked into when taking over Tandragee......

Team Records

Club Records

Board Confidence

Finances

Manager Profile

Personal Info

Squad

Staff

Team Info

THE NEW PAUL WALLACE??????

I know Andrew Smylie is going to far surpass Paul Wallace's goal count, but Wallace was something else. He wasn't particularly special in stats, and started with me in League 2 as a regen pickup, and ended up scoring vital Champions League goals for Knockbreda. Now I have this guy....

Keith Steede

An amazing return of 28 goals in 20 games for the Bermudan forward.

Wallace Season 1

As you can see, Wallace finished on 31 goals, three more than Steede, but played 9 more games.

Records Breaker

In 2008/09 Paul Wallace set a Div. 2 record of 25 league goals. This was never beaten, with the closest being a Lisburn Rangers striker scoring 16 goals in a season. Until now. Steede, scoring a Hat-Trick in each of the last 2 league games broke the record, with an amazing 26 goals. I would also like to note, Steede score 26 in 17 league games and wallace 25 in 19. icon_biggrin.gif

End of Season Update

Media Prediction - 1st icon_confused.gif - Surprised I was predicted 1st, when I'd just got promoted.!

Final League Position - 1st

Irish Cup - 1st Round

Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round

Mid Ulster Cup - 1st Round

Intermediate League Cup - Quater Final

N. Irish 2nd Division - Graph | Table

Best Elevens - Season | Overall

Other Info

Club Info

Team Records

Player Records

Squad Stats

Manager Profile

Manager Info

Manager Overview

Finances

Some little pieces of history......

1st game in charge - Final Result. 5-1 Tandregee. icon_biggrin.gif

More Bermudans than.... [insert quip here]

I've signed a LOT of bermudans. icon_biggrin.gif They were free, cheap and interested. On top of that, they far eclipsed any player in my squad. They ALL have English second nationalities, and a few have already been called up to the U-19/U-20 squads.!!! icon_eek.gif

Season Summary - Well.... can't complain really. First season went through a breeze. It was looking like I may have struggled until I unearthed Bermuda.! (Don't worry, I took them all on trial first). Won the league with relative ease, after Lisburn Rovers put up a fight for the first half, they dropped off the pace after a loss to me. A nice young squad, could've done better in the cups, but got Knocked out of those before I signed the Bermudans. icon_frown.gif

Hopefully another promotion next year is on the cards, especially after my great performance against the NI1 clubs in the Intermediate League Cup group stage this season. icon14.gif

Just to note - My Knockbreda game IS NOT over.! icon_smile.gif - I'm nearing the end of the season prior to this with the Knockers, and will get the EOS update on over the weekend....(Along with a couple of Fantasy Football Updates) icon14.gif

Thanks for reading. icon_wink.gif

Newport YMCA - Welsh Premier League 09/10

After a great first season this year was even better (some inspired signings and some truly awful opposition!)

Expectation: 15th

Final Position: 2nd

Somehow we've qualified for the UEFA cup...this is going to seperate the men from the boys (we're the boys I think...)

We're playing old-Keegan style football, clearly going to get found out in Europe but Wales has seen nothing like it before.

New signing Craig Lamacraft scored 19 in 23 games and he, coupled with Scott Wright (who threw in 29 goals in 40 games), sent us to the top of the scoring charts and to within touching distance of TNS (THE team to beat at the moment).

Of course it's a team game, and this year everyone really put in some good performances.

A lot of the team are now on full time contracts, as well as coach Prosinecki (I've noticed a performance increase since doing this).

Onwards and upwards now. Cementing a place near to the top of the league is something I am confident we can achieve.

Taking the challenge into Europe this season is not going to be as easy...

Originally posted by KLH84:

Turns out Europe aren't ready for my hardy Newport boys...

1st leg against Aris in Greece...

9-0

If only we'd grabbed an away goal, it would be all to play for.

*sigh*

still got to play them at home though..... icon_frown.gif

I've started again with NK Cakovec in Croatia.

The biggest shock was that the promoted teams are all semi-pro and most of the league's amateur.

First stop on my plans for greatness: Fill my team with Croatian U19 players who are on amateur contracts!

Of course the slight flaw is that they have to play now and do well now. But as a wise man once said if they're good enough, they're old enough, right?

...Right?

Some advice from my time in Croatia.

Certainly sign all the Croatian U19's but you need to have some older more experienced players. I made the mistake of not having enough experience and things were tough. At one point my squad consisted of half the U19 squad and half the U21 squad. When they started coming through I started to lose them so promotion early as possible to the top flight is essential.

There's a couple of pro-teams in the league who are really hard to beat over the course of a season and only one automatic spot makes it even harder.

Two players to look out for, Zdravko Semialjac and Ivica Novosel. A striker who made the senior Croatian time when I was in charge of him and a rock at the back who was my captain at 16.

Croatia was great fun but quite hard. It's almost impossible to fail in Northern Ireland domestically but on the continental stage it's nigh on impossible as Nep found out.

Another popular choice you could consider are Norway.

Norway and Northern Ireland are the two most popular probably.

Originally posted by Mike_Cardinal:

You can remove that Maesteg game Gundo, but I WILL be starting a fresh sometime soon on the new patch, time is just tight at the time and I couldn't really get going. Sorry mate.

No problem. icon14.gif

Portglenone - Northern Irish Second Division - 2008/9

A time of ups, downs, downs and a huge up. In the end we exceeded the boards expectations in all but one competition, which sure feels nice! In the end we got to 7th in the league, 8 points from the relegation play-offs.

Most of the season was spent in one of the bottom two places but a great run in the last games got us way clear of that mess. We lost only two of the last eight league games, winning four. Most of the season was spent focusing on defense which was working okay, although goals were few and far between, even with our 39 year old loanee striker! After a change of formations (from 4-1-4-1 to 4-4-1-1) the goals started coming and everything started looking better.

Almost every match preview contained the words „Portglenone facing the impossible“ but we never listened to the media. Most of our games were quite close, most often with our possesion in the mid 50‘s to the low 60‘s.

He was the top goalscorer, although he scored four in four at the end when given his chance.

The finances are in shambles, although I am way below the wage budget and didn‘t buy anyone. I‘ve now signed a keeper on Bosman who‘ll join in the summer and become the clubs top earner and I‘m hoping to get more fans and more home cup games to try and balance the books, otherwise I might fail this challenge off the field rather than on it.

And I've played through a bit of the next season and things are quite peachy so far, apart from the finances. Could have fixed that but I have a bloody loyal defender who just wouldn't leave!

Yeah, I tried Ireland once. It's apparently in the process of a re-stucturing at the start of the game so that kinda screws it up a bit.

If you choose the 2008 start date then there is a team called Sporting Fingal in the First Division who are eligible for this challenge if you wanted to go in Ireland.

Knockbreda and Rasharkin came up. Rasharkin are ten times worse, so I took over, with the expectation to enjoy the experience of taking part in every competition, and 87 days until my first league game. My expectations are low, I want to stay up this season, launch more of a promotion challenge the next and then move on from there.

Here's the profile pic:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1199z4i&s=3

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Some advice from my time in Croatia.

Certainly sign all the Croatian U19's but you need to have some older more experienced players. I made the mistake of not having enough experience and things were tough. At one point my squad consisted of half the U19 squad and half the U21 squad. When they started coming through I started to lose them so promotion early as possible to the top flight is essential.

There's a couple of pro-teams in the league who are really hard to beat over the course of a season and only one automatic spot makes it even harder.

Two players to look out for, Zdravko Semialjac and Ivica Novosel. A striker who made the senior Croatian time when I was in charge of him and a rock at the back who was my captain at 16.

I signed them both and got several other U19 and U21 players. Iveca Stripisic in midfield is without a doubt the best 16 year old I've seen on FM08 in a lower league.

And I've realised I do need older experienced players, The second things get hard we go from 4-1 to 1-4 or a string of games. Like you said, the professional teams are pigs to play.

My housemate has nicknamed my team FC Youth Cake which I think is a fine name icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by niresearch:

Nep, who came up for Ballymoney Utd and Loughgall out of interest??

Wakehurst and Babridge. I looked at that too, since it was unusual for both league teams to be relegated, but Wakehurst have been in and out of NI2 a lot over the last few decades, and Banbridge have rarely left the leagues, even enjoying a few spells in the NI1 too.

Originally posted by Gundo:

Things are not going well at the Randaberg Stadion after 3 games this season. Lost 4-3 to pro side Tromsø, scraped a home win against Bodø/Glimt 3-2 and just broke down to an away defeat to Sogndal eventually going down 6-0. On top of that 'boy wonder' Stian Ringstad is out for the month through injury. icon_frown.gif

Since this post I've have gone 13 games unbeaten in the league, Myhre has been the pivotal center of it all aswel. icon_wink.gif

dlnwba86 - Afan Lido - Season 2

After narrowly escaping relegation last season, my goal for the season was to finish in the top 12.

The Table (6th)

Pretty happy with that really. I was mid table at the end of November but i managed to find some quality Bermudan/Turks and Caicos players which really boosted my squad and we had a strong finish, even managing to take points of the mighty TNS. I still have a long way to go but feel with the right signings and some luck, i might be able to scrape third place and hopefully get into Europe for the season ahead.

Gundo, i know what you mean. i'm sure i'm about to curse it but with 11 games to go i'm up to third, on the back of a 9 game winnig run icon_eek.gif Ighalo is now averaging a goal a game.

sure i can't keep it up but her's hoping.....

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

They know the score

Great stuff. I got that with Smylie about 10 times a season icon_biggrin.gif

Whats Greene's tally now daf? Getting close to the 1000 I hope.! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's on 453 at the age of 25, although my team is starting to dominate, just beat my title challengers 4-0. That is considered a close match the way this season is going.

If I had found a regen like Green a few years later than I had, I would have made the 1000 easily, it is too easy in the NI league.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Gundo, i know what you mean. i'm sure i'm about to curse it but with 11 games to go i'm up to third, on the back of a 9 game winnig run icon_eek.gif Ighalo is now averaging a goal a game.

sure i can't keep it up but her's hoping.....

Why do i do it?? why?? icon_mad.gif

next game, at home, we lose 1-0. ringstad misses a penalty, Ighalo is taken off with strained knee ligaments to keep him out for up to two months, and we have a late equaliser disallowed for offside

AAARGH!!!!

Lisburn Rangers – 2015/16 – Northern Irish Premier Division.

Media Prediction: 1st

Final Position: 1st

Irish Cup: Winners

League Cup: Winners

Antrim Cup: Winners

All-Ireland Cup: 2-2-2 in Group Stages, a big disappointment after last season’s heroic showing.

Champions League: After beating some obscure Belarussian side on away goals, I faced the might of Grasshoppers in the 2nd round. In what can only be described as the game of my life, I lost 4-5 at home in the first leg after clawing back three times. In the end I lost the return leg 2-1 to go out 7-5 on agg.

Top-scorer: Henry Holmes – 37 goals. Not bad, considering he missed the last 4 months of the season. Lawrie came back and handily took over the goalscoring.

Team coeff: 487th – 0.660

National coeff: 42nd – 2.000

Final League Position

Best XI

Ah, the return of some domestic dominance. 4 trophies for the first time ever despite looking a bit dodgy in the league at times. Only the complete ineptitude of the main rivals meant that I was never in doubt by sealing a 3rd successive trophy. Linfield pushed me close, but only because they had 4 games in hand. Pah! Finances wise, I need to shape up and start selling some players for some extra cash. It remains to be seen whether or not my star players will stay, so therefore I’m anticipating some selling in the January transfer window. Hopefully I can surmount some cash in order to go professional. Right now, I’m lingering towards the 1.6m mark. I’ve still yet to spend any cash since I arrived here and have a healthy purse of 300k to spend on transfers. Needless to say, I’d rather not spend any of it. I made a profit of 400k last season and that was because I sold David Ryan for 150k. I managed to lose a starlet for nothing after he would not sign a new contract, it was too late and Burnley got him for nothing. ********. Good money down the drain. I’m very reluctant to sell some of my players, however I know the revenue they will bring will bring me closer to professional status, so I’ll need to bite the bullet and start accepting firm offers.

The stadium will get expanded for the 3rd season in a row, bringing to around 1,800. Still waiting for that youth academy though.

Oh my god I never knew Wales was so carp!

Can't even buy a win, so I've decided to start once again in Ireland, and if this doesn't work then I'm going back to N.Ireland.

A tip to those who wish to manage in Ireland, holiday until the 18th of November, save the game and then wait until the Relegation Play-off final is played the next day.

November 2008 only.

Cheml Blsany – Czech Premier Division. 09/10

Media Prediction: 15th

Final Position: 14th

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalleague2mu8.jpg

For some reason we had to play a playoff against the team that finished 15th.

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=playoffke4.jpg

FA Cup: Semi Final - We lost 3-2 to banik ostrva, after they scored two goals in the last 5 minutes icon_frown.gif

Best Player:http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jibrinog5.jpg

Jibrin Season Stats:http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jibrinstatsdt0.jpg

Would like to make my summary longer, but now going out to play football (For real) icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Just lost my first game (excluding Europe) for 3 years icon_frown.gif

And I've just followed it up by ending another record, losing my winning streak of 104 consecutive league wins with a 0-0 draw icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

double bummer.... icon_frown.gif it's a crisis!! icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by glennuk:

Cheml Blsany – Czech Premier Division. 09/10

Media Prediction: 15th

Final Position: 14th

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalleague2mu8.jpg

For some reason we had to play a playoff against the team that finished 15th.

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=playoffke4.jpg

FA Cup: Semi Final - We lost 3-2 to banik ostrva, after they scored two goals in the last 5 minutes icon_frown.gif

Best Player:http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jibrinog5.jpg

Jibrin Season Stats:http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jibrinstatsdt0.jpg

Would like to make my summary longer, but now going out to play football (For real) icon_smile.gif

Good progress in the cup icon14.gif

How are you finding the finances and board's expectations? In my Blsany game, they keep demanding more each season while giving me no transfer funds and mankig me sell off the best players icon_mad.gif

Season 2018/19 Review - Sirocco Works in the Carnegie Irish Premier League

League Table

Terrible season, my worst for three years.

CIS Insurance League Cup - won, beating Linfield 3-1 in the final.

County Antrim Shield - won, beating Linfield 6-1 in the final.

Irish Cup - won, beating QUB 5-0 in the final.

Setanta Sports Cup - lost 2-1 to Cork City in the semi final.

After winning all four cups for four consecutive years, the run has ended.

The European Adventure

Just two qualifiers this year, beating Teuta and Dinamo to reach the group stage again.

Group Results

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Lille 2-1 Sirocco Works

Sirocco Works 2-3 Man Utd

At Madrid 4-2 Sirocco Works

Sirocco Works 3-2 At Madrid

Sirocco Works 3-1 Lille

Man Utd 5-0 Sirocco Works </pre>

Group A

Too little too late.

UEFA Cup 1st knockout round leg 1

UEFA Cup 1st knockout round leg 2

Same old story, losing the away game leaving myself too much to do in the home game.

Squad

Transfers

The rebuilding has continued, although I'm not sure it is working. I'm selling the unhappy players and making loads of money, but the players I'm bringing in don't seem to be much better, I think my squad is actually starting to get gradually worse.

Star Player

He got injured for 3 months at the end of the season which is the reason I think I drew and lost those two games. His international record just goes to show how an average player can dominate the league in Northern Ireland.

Club Coefficient: 39.651

Nation Coefficient: 20.167

League Titles: 8

I'm starting to wonder how much further I can go with this challenge, I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall. My team is dominant domestically but I just can't get close to the top teams in Europe and there's not much I can do about it. The quality of players I can get doesn't seem to be improving and my players seem to get unhappy so quickly that I am just selling them all making my squad worse.

I don't know why, but it seems much harder than last year. I just can't see my team winning the CL by playing the best football like I did last time, it would have to be a series of flukey wins if it is going to be done and I'm not sure I can keep going in the hope of that.

Archived