Our Forums are changing

I like the new look. It's fresh and just gives the site a change.

Can I make one suggestion though. In our profile we can add our supported team and it appears under our user name in forum posts. Be interesting to have an option to also show the team we are managing in game...if that's possible.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

1) I know that you can click the blue dot to the left of a thread to take you to new posts but if you just open the thread initially, you don't then have that option at the top of the page like before. I quite like to open a thread to remind myself of the initial topic by reading the first post again and then go to see any new/unread posts in it by clicking the link at the top of the page. To do that now I have to come out of the thread to click that blue dot and if the first unread post is on the 1st page then it thinks I've now read it when I haven't. So basically I'd like the 'view first unread post' link back at the top of the thread.

2) When clicking any link in a thread, it doesn't automatically open it in a new tab any more like before. Instead, it opens it in your current tab. I'm using Chrome so not sure if this is the same for all browsers. Is there a setting somewhere where I can alter this?

3) As others have mentioned, having just ~25-30 posts per page isn't enough. I'd like to see a setings option to alter this

• Administrators
On 7/30/2016 at 18:35, Earnie is God! said:

1) I know that you can click the blue dot to the left of a thread to take you to new posts but if you just open the thread initially, you don't then have that option at the top of the page like before. I quite like to open a thread to remind myself of the initial topic by reading the first post again and then go to see any new/unread posts in it by clicking the link at the top of the page. To do that now I have to come out of the thread to click that blue dot and if the first unread post is on the 1st page then it thinks I've now read it when I haven't. So basically I'd like the 'view first unread post' link back at the top of the thread.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion, it's something we'll consider along with quite a few other suggestions we've been getting since the new software went live.

2) When clicking any link in a thread, it doesn't automatically open it in a new tab any more like before. Instead, it opens it in your current tab. I'm using Chrome so not sure if this is the same for all browsers. Is there a setting somewhere where I can alter this?

Internal links always open within the same tab, otherwise you need to right-click 'open in new tab'. I know it's a bit annoying, but all external links will open in a new tab.

3) As others have mentioned, having just ~25-30 posts per page isn't enough. I'd like to see a setings option to alter this

It's already been set to 50. We can't improve the 'threads per page' number though.

• Administrators
On 7/30/2016 at 14:27, anagain said:

I like the new look. It's fresh and just gives the site a change.

Can I make one suggestion though. In our profile we can add our supported team and it appears under our user name in forum posts. Be interesting to have an option to also show the team we are managing in game...if that's possible.

Have done this now. Give it a shot. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Conan21 said:

I'm really liking the new look.

Is there any way for a option to be put in for a light grey theme? Or something similar?

We've only got the one skin/theme at the moment but may investigate having a few other options somewhere down the line. 

Is it possible to have an option of being able to change it back to the old forums, like you can change skins on FM but change the layout of how you view the forums, I just don't like the layout, nothing personal, just found it easier to read stuff on the old layout, no worries if it aint possible to do this.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Is it possible to have an option of being able to change it back to the old forums, like you can change skins on FM but change the layout of how you view the forums, I just don't like the layout, nothing personal, just found it easier to read stuff on the old layout, no worries if it aint possible to do this.

No, that currently isn't possible, but as said we'll look into having a choice of styles and looks at some point in the future. Thanks. 

I think the new forum software has brought a new fresh & modern look to the forums, and it is more user-friendly in my opinion. Thanks Neil and all the team for their efforts :thup:

Just a small idea/recommendation to make this experience better: The browser notification setting is annoying, it is always prompted (as a screenshot of it is attached)  when you decline to receive native notifications.

Untitled.jpg

A very silly "issue" having 0 priority...

I edited my profile choosing the team I'm managing at the moment, but by doing this the field "place" has been removed when earlier it was shown.

Example: "Mr. X
                   100 posts
                   London"

but now is: "Mr. X
                      100 posts
                      Managing: Chelsea"

There's no way to revert back my choice since the "managing" option is mandatory, nor to show both of them up it seems.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Federico said:

A very silly "issue" having 0 priority...

I edited my profile choosing the team I'm managing at the moment, but by doing this the field "place" has been removed when earlier it was shown.

Example: "Mr. X
                   100 posts
                   London"

but now is: "Mr. X
                      100 posts
                      Managing: Chelsea"

There's no way to revert back my choice since the "managing" option is mandatory, nor to show both of them up it seems.

The managing option is no longer mandatory. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Most of the threads I was subscribed to pre update have gone, why is this?

The threads themselves have disappeared or just the subscriptions to said threads? 

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The managing option is no longer mandatory. 

Thank you Neil.

It seems though the field "About me", which should be dedicated to something you want to appear on your own profile, doesn't work yet.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Federico said:

Thank you Neil.

It seems though the field "About me", which should be dedicated to something you want to appear on your own profile, doesn't work yet.

People can view it on your profile page. If we had every selectible option appear beneath the user when they post, we'd barely have any posts on the page :D

10 hours ago, Colorado said:

Any chance of our registration date being displayed again?

You can still seeing entering into the profile.

But I would keep it as it is now and not display the post count either as they are not really important.

I, for one, welcome our new forum overlord.

Uploading stuff is just FAR easier, and the notifications are great! :) 

The only very small issue I've noticed with the edit features is that bold doesn't seem to be too bold, if at all.

Bold not bold Italic Underlined strikethrough

quotations

Spoiler

Spoiler

• bullet points
  1. numbered points

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, JR866Gunner said:

Hello,

Does this improve the potential/possibility of Tapatalk integration?

Hello.

What benefits do you think there would be from having tapatalk integrated to this forum?  

11 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Hello.

What benefits do you think there would be from having tapatalk integrated to this forum?  

Hi,

Being able to access the forums from any device and in a clear clean manner on tapatalk. It just makes everything easier to read on tapatalk and I myself use it for many other forums too so good to have access to all via one app :)

I notice from past posts Tapatalk is a hot topic among many and would certainly add to the future interest from more FM and community members!

This thread isnt the only one but I would say a lot of forum lurkers use the app!

• Administrators
12 hours ago, JR866Gunner said:

Hi,

Being able to access the forums from any device and in a clear clean manner on tapatalk. It just makes everything easier to read on tapatalk and I myself use it for many other forums too so good to have access to all via one app :)

I notice from past posts Tapatalk is a hot topic among many and would certainly add to the future interest from more FM and community members!

This thread isnt the only one but I would say a lot of forum lurkers use the app!

The thing is this software has been configured so the forum can be easily used on mobile. Those asking for tapatalk, have you actually tried the 'new' forum on a mobile device?

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:11, Ross Ingersoll said:

may have been asked already but did a search and didnt see it, whats the green box with a arrow inside do?

Clicking on it gives the post an upvote, posts with enough get highlighted.

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 08:37, Neil Brock said:

The thing is this software has been configured so the forum can be easily used on mobile. Those asking for tapatalk, have you actually tried the 'new' forum on a mobile device?

It's OK...I prefer Tapatalk as most of the other forums I go to are there and the dark mode of Tapatalk is easy on the eyes.  Also it packages the forum posts and pages quite nicely. I think it's time SI took a brave step into this Tapatalk adventure!

On 15/08/2016 at 20:38, JR866Gunner said:

It's OK...I prefer Tapatalk as most of the other forums I go to are there and the dark mode of Tapatalk is easy on the eyes.  Also it packages the forum posts and pages quite nicely. I think it's time SI took a brave step into this Tapatalk adventure!

I'd agree with you here.

The new site on mobile does look good but I prefer Tapatalk as it makes it even easier to browse.

On Monday, August 08, 2016 at 08:44, Neil Brock said:

Hello.

I think you may find a strong appeal for tapatalk if you put feelers out there to use it on the shiny forums. It will maintain if not strengthen the community via the mobile platform and continued pc family.

6 hours ago, roykela said:

How can i adjust the space between lines? It's too big for my liking.

Haven't found out how to adjust it yet. Probably just me failing the audition for the role as Captain Obvious.

You can hold shift before pressing enter.

Not sure on a mobile though.

On 7/27/2016 at 20:12, eriktous said:

I'm not at home right now, so I'm reading on my mobile phone and can't compare, but it appears it is showing me a mobile version of the site instead of the desktop version, even though I've checked the option in my browser to load the desktop version. Is the new forum enforcing a mobile version?

If a site is built a certain way, there is no desktop and mobile version. It's all the same and scales down. That way the site looks good, fitting everything horizontally so you don't have to scroll sideways or zoom in. Show desktop version only works when someone has a different site entirely for mobile versions, which you can usually see by the URL being m.domain.com instead of www.domain.com. Much better when a site is responsive like this is now - I can chuck it half screen and still read everything perfectly for instance. Also means that developers only have to work on one version, not two so better support when there's problems.

1 hour ago, benjawi. said:

If a site is built a certain way, there is no desktop and mobile version.

If, then, else... Apparently, there has been a change after my previous post and there is now a distinct difference when I toggle the show desktop version-button. Big thank you to SI for making this change. I can now use the mobile version on my phone, and the desktop version on my 7" tablet.

Archived