might try to get a refund

The new update has caused my beginning save, which was three years in,  to corrupt, caused my computer to over heat due to the fact that I can't put fm18 in a window on its own so it over heats after I close it to go do something, the transfer market prices don't accurately represent the current market, and in my new save where I have only just started managing Manchester United and I'm playing he preseason friendlies and none of my players have gotten anywhere near the goals, even against the minnows, but everytime my defense tries to stop the opposition from getting towards goal they either foul them and get a red card or the just whiff and the opposition scores. I have tried many different formations and that doesn't seem to help at all. Really annoying that this is happening. I loved FM 17 but now this is just getting ridiculous and annoying

The new update is still a beta and not the finished game. It's for testing purpose and find issues, that could be fixed for the release date.

Did you report the crashes and other issues you found in the bugs forum? You should also have a look into the tactics forum if you fail to find a working tactic.

The game should be judged when it is officially released.

3 minutes ago, Handstar said:

I have reported several times but no feedback on my issue yet everybody else does

They are reviewing every thread, no direct feedback does not mean that they do not look into it. Just wait until the game is released.

Just not used to hitting a brick wall like this with any FM in beta. I really want to play the game because I actually like how all the new things fit in, except the in-match UI while setting up set pieces and opposition instructions on the fly.

29 minutes ago, AMAC04321 said:

I have only just started managing Manchester United and I'm playing he preseason friendlies and none of my players have gotten anywhere near the goals, even against the minnows, but everytime my defense tries to stop the opposition from getting towards goal they either foul them and get a red card or the just whiff and the opposition scores.

If you're struggling with Man Utd, you must be  doing something seriously wrong. 

38 minutes ago, KUBI said:

The new update is still a beta and not the finished game. It's for testing purpose and find issues, that could be fixed for the release date.

Did you report the crashes and other issues you found in the bugs forum? You should also have a look into the tactics forum if you fail to find a working tactic.

The game should be judged when it is officially released.

I Have reported everything to the bug forum

I start saves in the beta that are to test things out, see how the new features are going, try out new tactics etc. I try not to get to invested in a save for this reason, crashes etc. are likely.

I will start my long term save Friday when hopefully most of these issues are ironed out.

Do you not have 3 rolling saves on? 

I couldn't save at all before 18.0.3. Well, I could save, but couldn't load any saves.
It saved the game, but when I wanted to load the saves they weren't there. If I tried to save again with the same filename it said save already excist overwrite?
And I could see the files were in c:\documents\sigames\fm18\games . However they did not show up in the list ingame loadscreen. (Yes I was in the right folder). And from main menu I could not load last save, it said I had no games to load.
However 18.0.3 fixed it for me and my new saves will load.

12 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you're struggling with Man Utd, you must be  doing something seriously wrong. 

He might just be fooled like me on my Arsenal game. I played amateur teams on my pre-season tour in the states and then Crawley after the tour. Could only beat them 1-0 , 2-1 ,1-0 and 2-0
So I figured I'd get trashed when I met better teams. But, then I beat Chelsea 3-0 in the community shields and then beat West Ham 4-0 away.

36 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

How does this refunding work? I'm thinking of doing that if it is possible. 

You have to request a refund from steam ( If you bought it there ). They should give it to you if you have played less than 2 hours. You might have problems getting a refund if you have played the game more than 2 hours.

Before you do that, you might want to read what Beta means. I´m pretty sure claiming a bug in Beta stage is not a valid ground for a refund. Here is a link so you know what you are getting into next time you get early access to an product before its final release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

Next time if you are that demanding on how well the product you buy is fully finished, don't start playing in the beta stage.

If your PC is "overheating" with a relatively low-spec game like FM then you have problems with your PC and it's nothing to do with Sports Interactive. How is the "overheating" manifesting itself?

The transfer market seems realistic to me but perhaps you'd like to back-up your complaint with some examples. 

As for the match issues, a little hint. If there are hundreds of posts about it (there aren't) then it's an issue with the game.  

Guest El Payaso
2 hours ago, Tyler42 said:

Before you do that, you might want to read what Beta means. I´m pretty sure claiming a bug in Beta stage is not a valid ground for a refund. Here is a link so you know what you are getting into next time you get early access to an product before its final release.

Next time if you are that demanding on how well the product you buy is fully finished, don't start playing in the beta stage.

I have never faced any problems with so called bugs on FM even at beta stage so that is not the problem. I simply just don't enjoy playing it especially with the same training system which leads my team's players not to improve at all with high fitness training regime for five weeks. Add to this how badly for example Spanish leagues are counted and how bad the AI still is tactically. Just not an experience for me that I am likely to enjoy. 

You should be able to cancel your per-order & obtain a refund, the full game has not been released therefore the strict 2 hour rule is not in effect.

3 hours ago, Tyler42 said:

Legally (in the UK), he's fully entitled to a refund. As it's clearly a bug, I would advise him to wait and play the full version as he will still be entitled to a refund at the point.

9 minutes ago, KUBI said:

A football manager simulation that is trying to match real football is something negative?

A Football Manager game that punishes you for acting like a manager?
 (making rational decisions leads to squad revolts)

Useless tactical briefings that hold little to know relevance?

Even more press situations?

Yes. When the game starts to churn out the same interviews week in, week out, the same reactions, tunnel talks, and briefings all for the sake of 'realism', then yes, that's a negative.

A video game is supposed to be entertaining, and it can remain it's core realism without most of the above.

21 hours ago, AMAC04321 said:

the transfer market prices don't accurately represent the current market

Why do I see this everywhere? Has anyone actually been paying attention to the transfer market over the past few season? for a start every player who has had a decent season but isn't that amazing gets sold for around 20-30 mil, we have seen kyle walker go to man city for 50 million! mendy again to man city for 52mil! lukaku 75mil, pogba 89mil, sigorosson 45mil, neymar 220mil and mbappe has a clause which will get activated for 160 mil .... how can anyone say any transfer is unrealistic when we have these kind of transfers kicking around season after season.

Refund after playing the Beta? Ok, you do your thing, but you should really look up what a Beta is. You are given an UNFINISHED version of the game to HELP OUT FINDING AND REPORTING BUGS. You are an unpaid tester in exchange for playing the game early. How much you report and they fix depends often on how you report it and how easy it is to reproduce for the developers and/or testing team.

I have reported 17 bugs so far since I got the Beta and only 2 of them are unresponded by an SI staff as of yet, and quite frankly they are small issues and easy to circumvent. The others are either already fixed in the updates to the beta or passed on to the development team for further analysis and fixing and will most likely be fixed for the full version. Now, I don't expect everyone to do such things, but it's in my blood seeing as I work as a software tester and actually enjoy testing things (I might be a masochist or sorts), but if you have issues you should report them in a proper manner and you will by all accounts get the issue reviewed by a staff member.

Of course, if you actually don't enjoy the gameplay and were not looking for a game such as this, then you probably should get a refund since FM might not be the correct game for you. Unfortunately, there aren't many other decent football sims out there. If you dislike certain features of the full FM, then, as @KUBI suggested, you could try FM Touch. It strips away a couple of the features you might not like and it should be more streamlined and might be the thing you are looking for.

I will probably refund before the end and play the demo in a few weeks.

If after 6 months of in-game time I feel the game has potential after the updates, I'll buy it again.

It's not to do with bugs - mainly the Dynamics system. Miles has already said he wants the game to reflect player power. Sorry, but after spending hours on scouting, training setups, pre-season and tactic experimentation, I feel it's a bit of a joke for the squad to turn on you after an irrational player (with a professional personality, no less) decides he's the manager and not you. 

Perhaps it just needs tweaking, but who knows. I can only go by recent years, and in my experience, it's not until a few patches after release, the game becomes enjoyable (in my opinion).

I've so far played 100 hours (according to Steam) and I have yet to experience a revolt. I have had a couple of unhappy players and listened to their claims, but then I've either moved them on or decided if it has merit and tried to make them happy. 

Of course, if you are taking over a top club with a Sunday league experience you'll have a bad time, but that mirrors the real life I think.

4 minutes ago, ChelseaFan said:

If after 6 months of in-game time I feel the game has potential after the updates, I'll buy it again.

It's not to do with bugs - mainly the Dynamics system. Miles has already said he wants the game to reflect player power. Sorry, but after spending hours on scouting, training setups, pre-season and tactic experimentation, I feel it's a bit of a joke for the squad to turn on you after an irrational player (with a professional personality, no less) decides he's the manager and not you. 

Perhaps it just needs tweaking, but who knows. I can only go by recent years, and in my experience, it's not until a few patches after release, the game becomes enjoyable (in my opinion).

Just so you know 6 months of in game is not nearly enough team to influence your team in dynamics, it does work well you just need to be in the job for enough time and interact enough with your players. I have attached a screen of mines after 1 season and a half. Dressing room has only dropped due to a contract reject but will be back at excellent once I play him in a few games and he drops the matter.

Capture.thumb.PNG.4ded956426d1a60e932b6a8ab7b75248.PNG

On 11/5/2017 at 20:26, KUBI said:

They are reviewing every thread, no direct feedback does not mean that they do not look into it. Just wait until the game is released.

Tis true. I posted something in the bugs forum and it was fixed/changed in the most recent update.

23 hours ago, ChelseaFan said:

You've just described the exact problems faced by real managers but you're complaining that the game isn't realistic?

Your Steam review finishes with the comment "Don't sacrifice entertainment for realism". The Oxford Dictionary definition of "Simulation" is "An imitation of a situation or process".  

Football Manager simulates the process (or situation) of being a football manager and because the football world is changing with increased transfer fees, more player power and much more media interaction, the Football Manager series is rightly changing to better simulate the process of being a football manager.  And it's doing so very well in my opinion. 

What you're doing is comparable to complaining to Sports Interactive that your car headlights aren't working.  

18 hours ago, Nonlondoner said:

You've just described the exact problems faced by real managers but you're complaining that the game isn't realistic?

Your Steam review finishes with the comment "Don't sacrifice entertainment for realism". The Oxford Dictionary definition of "Simulation" is "An imitation of a situation or process".  

Football Manager simulates the process (or situation) of being a football manager and because the football world is changing with increased transfer fees, more player power and much more media interaction, the Football Manager series is rightly changing to better simulate the process of being a football manager.  And it's doing so very well in my opinion. 

What you're doing is comparable to complaining to Sports Interactive that your car headlights aren't working.  

I don't buy the simulation part . Yes, the game is a simulation, but if you're not having fun, what's the point? It'a game.

It should be entertaining. Why include additional features that expand on realism when they serve no purpose?

For example - media duties in real life serve are completely dynamic. The ones in game, are not so much. Why bother expanding them?

If you're deemed a proffesional in game, but refuse to work when you face a little competition, you're hardly a professional are you?

On 06/11/2017 at 12:15, Butters76 said:

You have to request a refund from steam ( If you bought it there ). They should give it to you if you have played less than 2 hours. You might have problems getting a refund if you have played the game more than 2 hours.

Doubt the 2 hours applies in the beta.

7 hours ago, Jam_Man said:

Doubt the 2 hours applies in the beta.

Probably does. The terms are clear are point of purchase. Choices and Options were given from a regulatory perspective. Not sure Steam needs to refund at all.

Per steam.....

Pre-Order / Pre-release - different than early access, player buys, can get a refund ANY time prior to actual release date, if a beta exists the player can play beta for an unlimited period of time for as long as beta is available - it does not count towards time played in refund policy. After the official release date (noted on store page), the 14 day 2 hour play time window starts.

On 11/6/2017 at 16:03, Menion said:

Legally (in the UK), he's fully entitled to a refund. As it's clearly a bug, I would advise him to wait and play the full version as he will still be entitled to a refund at the point.

Since I'm not too familiar with the consumer rights law in the UK I can't really know for sure. But he's claiming a refund for a product that has not been released yet. Perhaps you didn't read what a software in beta stage is. But it is not a release of a product, therefor there is no claim for a broken product, since it's not out yet.
But I doubt SI nor Steam will go hard against people claiming refunds by judging the game from a beta phase. It will keep the consumer happy and prevent drama. Plus I know that Steam gives 1 return to a customer if he asks for it for a game that he's bought, even if it has been played above the 2 hr limit they set. I had once requested a refund fora Heroes game due to a patch that they had released always made the game crash, it was a known bug yet it was not fixed within a month, so my requested a refund with over 50 hours of play explaining my case. They accepted my claim but said it would be a 1 time only granted request. But that was a fully released game, unlike FM18

And keep in mind I haven't bought FM18 since I wasn't impressed with the new features this year, so I might be skipping a version for the first time since 2006.

On 06/11/2017 at 18:44, Sychx said:

Just so you know 6 months of in game is not nearly enough team to influence your team in dynamics, it does work well you just need to be in the job for enough time and interact enough with your players. I have attached a screen of mines after 1 season and a half. Dressing room has only dropped due to a contract reject but will be back at excellent once I play him in a few games and he drops the matter.

Capture.thumb.PNG.4ded956426d1a60e932b6a8ab7b75248.PNG

6 months is fine really - I've been playing as Liverpool, not a single revolt, Hendo and Milner have handled every issue any player has raised, and the one time they did have an issue (when I sold Matip in order to bring in a better no. 1 defender), I just said that the dressing room atmosphere was great, and we shouldn't let this issue spoil that, and they all went "Yea, you're right, sorry to have caused a fuss" and all went back to Exceptional morale again.

10 hours ago, LCpl said:

Probably does. The terms are clear are point of purchase. Choices and Options were given from a regulatory perspective. Not sure Steam needs to refund at all.

Looking into it and you will still be able to get a refund.

If its an early access beta where they sell the game years before it goes live then you cant, but for a standard beta you are allowed a refund.

14 hours ago, Tyler42 said:

Since I'm not too familiar with the consumer rights law in the UK I can't really know for sure. But he's claiming a refund for a product that has not been released yet. Perhaps you didn't read what a software in beta stage is. But it is not a release of a product, therefor there is no claim for a broken product, since it's not out yet.
But I doubt SI nor Steam will go hard against people claiming refunds by judging the game from a beta phase. It will keep the consumer happy and prevent drama. Plus I know that Steam gives 1 return to a customer if he asks for it for a game that he's bought, even if it has been played above the 2 hr limit they set. I had once requested a refund fora Heroes game due to a patch that they had released always made the game crash, it was a known bug yet it was not fixed within a month, so my requested a refund with over 50 hours of play explaining my case. They accepted my claim but said it would be a 1 time only granted request. But that was a fully released game, unlike FM18

And keep in mind I haven't bought FM18 since I wasn't impressed with the new features this year, so I might be skipping a version for the first time since 2006.

Because its a beta he is eligble for a refund whether there is a bug or not. Once released its then 2 hours of play or 48 hours since release.

If it was an early release beta, ie one you play for and accept its a pre release then thats different.

Guest El Payaso

When is the demo going to be out? I was thinking that I will try the game out with that, refund the full game and make my decision based on the experience that I get playing the game for six months.

11 minutes ago, Jam_Man said:

Because its a beta he is eligble for a refund whether there is a bug or not. Once released its then 2 hours of play or 48 hours since release.

If it was an early release beta, ie one you play for and accept its a pre release then thats different.

Then he´s not getting a refund on the grounds that the game has a bug. Then he's just returning it because he doesn't plan on playing it.
Getting access to beta was a pre-order bonus, meaning he gets the beta version of an pre-ordered product, the game is not out. The OP points out various bugs in the game, and then goes on asking how he can claim a refund. So I just pointed out that claiming a refund for a pre-ordered product that is not released as a final version of the game is not a valid ground.

But pre-ordering a game, and then claiming a refund for it, not based off early access to the game, sure, he can do that.

On 07/11/2017 at 02:36, ChelseaFan said:

Seriously, Dynamics is so easy to handle in the game, I barely notice it as an issue. I can't understand how people have such a problem with such an easy aspect of the game.  Players expect to play a certain amount of matches based on their squad status. If you can manage that, its easy street. Then if someone decides to give you issues send the  Capitan to talk to him. But wait, if your starting reputation is lower than the players then, the players have more power than you. Therefore you have to earn your stripes, deliver the right kind of tactical and man management in games and you start to win them over. In fact in so many instances the responses are some easy choices. 

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Seriously, Dynamics is so easy to handle in the game, I barely notice it as an issue.

I agree, but i do feel it might need a little tweak though. Just for fun i did a little test. In FMrte at a random date, loaded all players aged 17-29, with 175 potential or above. Out of theese 86 players, 34 are unhappy.. Thats almost 40% of the best players in the world... Which again leads to a lot of unrealistic transfers. So hoping for a tweak.

Archived