Does anyone else use spreadsheets?

Appreciate this is probably very weird and definitely OCD, but does anyone else use spreadsheets to assess their players?

E.g, I've started a game as Birmingham City - I'm looking for my 1st team players to ideally have a minimum of 12 in the attributes needed for a centre back -  Harlee Dean has a minimum of 12 in 10 out of the 12 attributes listed as important for centre back, with an average of 12.8 across those attributes, so he's a decent player for my system.  All this information is recorded on my spreadsheet - I can rank players in each position by their average score, and it also helps me identify possible retraining areas - eg, I've got a right back who's highest average attribute score is as a Ball Winning Midfielder - it helps as a comparison in the transfer market too - how does the new target man I want score against the existing one in my team?

Am I the only person who does something like this?  I often think I will start a new save and not do it, but I just can't help - I need to know!

I think there are a lot of us. I use a lot of them for my youth saves to gauge improvements and to have a better understanding of what positions they are most suited for. A few years back I made a lot more of them with macros, but my VBA is very rusty now, so it's mostly cell formulas at the moment. That said I might have another try to automate it more...

3 hours ago, thedaddy2005 said:

Appreciate this is probably very weird and definitely OCD, but does anyone else use spreadsheets to assess their players?

E.g, I've started a game as Birmingham City - I'm looking for my 1st team players to ideally have a minimum of 12 in the attributes needed for a centre back -  Harlee Dean has a minimum of 12 in 10 out of the 12 attributes listed as important for centre back, with an average of 12.8 across those attributes, so he's a decent player for my system.  All this information is recorded on my spreadsheet - I can rank players in each position by their average score, and it also helps me identify possible retraining areas - eg, I've got a right back who's highest average attribute score is as a Ball Winning Midfielder - it helps as a comparison in the transfer market too - how does the new target man I want score against the existing one in my team?

Am I the only person who does something like this?  I often think I will start a new save and not do it, but I just can't help - I need to know!

I use spreadsheets to assess my tactics. I have my own metrics which require me to go through every game and assess each shot that was taken and categorise them. Finally it forms just one field in an excel spreadsheet which contains a lot of other statistical information that allow me to assess how good a particular tactic is. I still remember how the spreadsheet pointed me to making one small tweak to my system. When it comes to player comparisons, I used to have spreadsheets to track player performances in training.

I do!

I have plenty open for my saves - I have my squad building one that assess players in first team, u-23 and u-18 for the positions I need in my formation, I have a scouting spreadsheet, a training and development one, a staff one. (All expertly colour coded might I add)

On 23-3-2018 at 09:33, Hovis Dexter said:

I use one to rate coaching attributes and one to rate player role attributes

And how does this go into work? Because I'm looking for some sort of system to better judge which player is best suited for which role..(because the stars and circle doesnt do it for me)

On 26 March 2018 at 16:18, BadAss88 said:

And how does this go into work? Because I'm looking for some sort of system to better judge which player is best suited for which role..(because the stars and circle doesnt do it for me)

One way is to use the position attibute filters in the squad view using a separate filter for each position in your formation. You can then export the attributes for some or all of your squad into a different spreadsheet for each position where you can rank each player according to his ability to perform that particular role.

The only spreadsheety stuff I do on occasion relates to shot conversions. It's the only stat in the game that is some reliable for far too many reasons to discuss them all again. And it's not something I've invented myself. But the team reports for instance purely show any team's conversion / FOR. Teams also concede shots though. And to work it all out, you have to go through each match manually. In this case, opposition needed ~11 shots to score (roughly every 4th shot on target), own team ~8 (roughly every 3rd on target). What inspired this is also how I was sent pkms and saves why the opposition would need fewer shots (or score from the first all the time), and going through the matches, that wasn't at all the case. It's possible to be set up so that the oppositioin would score with like every second shot, but it takes some, er, creativity (or a bug).

jDJWBnx.png

Have no idea why something like that isn't in the game, as from experience, a good deal of players are at least onpar to their opposition without realizing. Bummer I didn't do that on that FM16 season where I sat deep and countered with Leicester, as all the overly aggressive top teams were beaten with purely final match stats of like 10-30 shot disadvantages. Up to 4-1 at City, who after conceding neither protected their own attacking set pieces from the counter, nor anything. Top of the tables with a seasonal average pass completion of like 60%.

In my Arsenal save i have 5 tabs in Excel:

1. First Team

2. U`23

3. U`18

4. Scouting assigments

5. Rules and restrictions

In first 3 tabs i rewrite rosters to control size of the squad. And also rewrite staff members.

In 4 tab i set assigments for my scouting team.

And 5 tab is the most interesting for me. There i set my own restrictions (for example min and max player and staff wages, transfer and loan rules).

So it really helps me to control all processes in the club.

Archived