New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

10 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Taking another look https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Type-Falcon-v4_2424478.html?config=2336001,2423823,2464099,2472019,2473247

Cube are a UK owned company as far as I remember, I can't find any info now to back that up. 

Seems to be a good brand and a few overclocker sites are using them.

@GreyedOutMan Sorry - that doesn't have the Blu Ray you require. 

But it's a beast! And adding a blu ray would be easy enough.

There's only 1 on the site that has the blu ray and it's nowhere near as good. It would be easier to add the blu ray to this.

Plus blu ray will probably be obsolete soon enough - an external blu ray would be best in my opinion.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm typing this on a medion as we speak... from box as it happens... couldn't be happier with it.. like you it was concerned about the build quality, but frankly, it's a lot better than the Dell and asus i've had personally and all of the others i've used professionally. Very happy with it.

Medion build quality used to be bad - really flimsy. But since Lenovo took the them over the reports far and wide is that the build quality is better.

Just now, Smurf said:

Medion build quality used to be bad - really flimsy. But since Lenovo took the them over the reports far and wide is that the build quality is better.

Absolutely, though having said that, I've had very bad experiences with Lenovo's so have tended to stay away, but after seeing how good the price was on mine a few months ago, I had to give it a try, so glad I did.

14 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Absolutely, though having said that, I've had very bad experiences with Lenovo's so have tended to stay away, but after seeing how good the price was on mine a few months ago, I had to give it a try, so glad I did.

Well Medion are owned by Lenovo - so you haven't really stayed away :)

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Welshace said:

I'm typing this on a medion erazer as we speak... from box as it happens... couldn't be happier with it.. like you it was concerned about the build quality, but frankly, it's a lot better than the Dell and asus i've had personally and all of the others i've used professionally. Very happy with it.

That will do for me!

Cheers for the advice :thup:

1 hour ago, Shotty said:

It'll run the game sure... what do you mean by good for fm?  how long is a piece of string...

As is mentioned every time on this thread for 53 pages now... how many leagues? how big a database? whats your budget?  what are you playing on currently so we can judge what an improvement would look like.. cheers!

45 minutes ago, Welshace said:

It'll run the game sure... what do you mean by good for fm?  how long is a piece of string...

As is mentioned every time on this thread for 53 pages now... how many leagues? how big a database? whats your budget?  what are you playing on currently so we can judge what an improvement would look like.. cheers!

I'd like it to run the 3d match engine smoothly and allow me to flick between the different screens on the game without any lag etc. I don't currently have a laptop however I'm looking to get back into FM, I would normally load about 5 leagues on a medium to large database. This laptop at £600 would be the top end of my budget tbh. Thanks for your help! 

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

@GreyedOutMan Sorry - that doesn't have the Blu Ray you require. 

But it's a beast! And adding a blu ray would be easy enough.

There's only 1 on the site that has the blu ray and it's nowhere near as good. It would be easier to add the blu ray to this.

Plus blu ray will probably be obsolete soon enough - an external blu ray would be best in my opinion.

Hmmm...the processor is clearly faster but no OS installed? Seems a faff...

9 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

Hmmm...the processor is clearly faster but no OS installed? Seems a faff...

Installing the os is optional and done with a click on the site. Brings it to about 1550

19 hours ago, Shotty said:

I'd like it to run the 3d match engine smoothly and allow me to flick between the different screens on the game without any lag etc. I don't currently have a laptop however I'm looking to get back into FM, I would normally load about 5 leagues on a medium to large database. This laptop at £600 would be the top end of my budget tbh. Thanks for your help! 

Hi, the one you posted would definitely do what you ask.. but you can get much better for your budget ... significantly better in fact....

https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Erazer-P6605_2496888.html .. genuinely can't recommend this one enough to people for the price.

10 hours ago, Smurf said:

Installing the os is optional and done with a click on the site. Brings it to about 1550

OK - although thinking about it, I have a W10 Pro disc because I recently had to buy a new one when I wiped my current PC. Could I also get it without a graphics card and put the one I bought for my current PC on it? It was an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 705 1GB DDR3 bought in August...given that it would save several hundred, seems to me to be desirable...is there any reason not to do this? Without either the windows disc or the graphics card, it brings it down to 1149 which is much more in my price range...

Edited by GreyedOutMan

12 minutes ago, GreyedOutMan said:

you'll have to check if graphics card is compatible with mobo etc.. but no reason why not if you wanted.. seems ridiculous spending that sort of cash on a pc and bottlenecking it massively with a graphics card like that though... it's extremely low end these days

2 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

OK - although thinking about it, I have a W10 Pro disc because I recently had to buy a new one when I wiped my current PC. Could I also get it without a graphics card and put the one I bought for my current PC on it? It was an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 705 1GB DDR3 bought in August...given that it would save several hundred, seems to me to be desirable...is there any reason not to do this? Without either the windows disc or the graphics card, it brings it down to 1149 which is much more in my price range...

I wouldnt be sure if it is compatible and cant check this out til Monday. 

8 hours ago, Welshace said:

you'll have to check if graphics card is compatible with mobo etc.. but no reason why not if you wanted.. seems ridiculous spending that sort of cash on a pc and bottlenecking it massively with a graphics card like that though... it's extremely low end these days

I don't really need graphics though. FM is the only game I play...

7 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

I don't really need graphics though. FM is the only game I play...

Wait.. you want to spend that much money on  a desktop just for FM?! you could spend half of that and pretty much max everything for the game... 

I can see you tend to multitask and want it to last till fm25 , thats cool, fm doesn't progress much in terms of specifications needed to play it... still half that budget or at least cut £500 off it...

Unless you have specific need of having the best of everything, you are probably wasting money.

I said it was the only GAME that I play - and from my current configuration I know that spending significantly less will NOT run FM quick enough for my liking because even that configuration isn't a HUGE upgrade on what I have now (5-6 years old). But happy to listen to suggestions - as long as it will be a significant upgrade on my current machine which currently is really struggling with FM19 let alone 20:

i7-4790, 3.6GHz

32GB RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 705 1GB DDR3

Edited by GreyedOutMan

Looking for a laptop, usually run around 10 leagues majority just the major league on a medium sometimes large database budget of around £700 will be used primarily just for fm Have no clue what is best for fm all help appreciated.

8 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

I said it was the only GAME that I play - and from my current configuration I know that spending significantly less will NOT run FM quick enough for my liking because even that configuration isn't a HUGE upgrade on what I have now (5-6 years old). But happy to listen to suggestions - as long as it will be a significant upgrade on my current machine which currently is really struggling with FM19 let alone 20:

i7-4790, 3.6GHz

32GB RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 705 1GB DDR3

Hi greyedoutman have you had a look on overclockers.co.uk at their prebuilt gaming pcs? Have just bought a load of components from them (to build it myself though) and never had a problem with them in the past.

You can edit their builds too e.g. Better processor / lesser graphics card.

Something like an rx 570 graphics card (what I use) is pretty overkill for FM but they're only about 130 quid iirc.

An i5 9600k (or i7 9700k if you want to pay a bit more for more cores - might be good for your multitasking, not sure) will be fine for FM too

They're easy to contact by phone too if you'd rather talk to a human. Could tell them you want a pc specifically for fm/multitasking and see what they come up with :)

Edited by ajt

i7-q720@1.6ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, gtx 260m 1gb graphics

are one of the above an obvious reason as to why i am "1 star" and graphics terrible during a match?

just confusing as the load speed between pressing continue are rapid, that point then at the graphics card being too old now?

whats interesting is when i go to pc gamebenchmark:

Requirement Your System Result
Windows Windows PASS
Intel.png Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz AMD.pngAMD Phenom II X3 720 PASS
ATI.png ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 NVIDIA.pngNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M PASS
2 GB RAM 8 GB RAM

PASS

says i have an amd phenom processor, which i certainly dont!!

just trying to work out of i need a new laptop or if there is something daft going on!

GTX 260m sounds pretty old? How old is the laptop itself?

Googling the card says it was released in 2009.

Also interested how the game runs on a processor under 2ghz :)

Haha yeah it's an alienware m15x, over 10 years old

It flies through the loading parts, like when pressing continue 

Got 15 leagues running, only 3 playable and large database

Loading times all great, just the matches themselves are terrible quality

Is that the processor,  gpu or both?

Yeah I do too heh.

Have you got any of the recent fm's? 19,18 etc. Does it run those okay if you have them.

I'll be honest though I don't know a lot about laptop gfx cards, you'll get a much better idea from @Smurf
or someone else more versed

4 hours ago, kingzero47 said:

Haha yeah it's an alienware m15x, over 10 years old

It flies through the loading parts, like when pressing continue 

Got 15 leagues running, only 3 playable and large database

Loading times all great, just the matches themselves are terrible quality

Is that the processor,  gpu or both?

100% graphics card .. directx 10 card on very old architecture ... its moved on a lot

Hi will this run FM20? Not fussed about 3D match stuff but do like a relatively large database with a few leagues added 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1405817

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• Intel Core i5 8250U processor.
  • Quad core processor.
  • 1.6GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 3.4GHz.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
  • 1TB HDD storage.
  • Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Lenovo IdeaPad 330s 15.6 Inch i5 8GB 1TB Laptop - Grey140/5817

i bought it before finding this thread, if it's no good can you recommend one from Argos (I have a gift card I need to use)? That one is 499.99 I could go to 550 

Thanks for any help!

I'm a tight Yorkshireman who due to an elderly laptop hasn't played any FM for 2-3 years. I'm looking for a new laptop with a max range unfortunately of £350ish. 

Read this thread which has been a big help but looking for a little more guidance. I'm wanting to run all UK leagues and top European ones as well with highlights in 3D if possible. 

Had a look at Lenovo official site and two laptops spring to mind.

.1. ideapad S145 14 - Grey - with 10% off comes to £305

Processor: AMD® Ryzen™ 5 3500U (4 Core, 2.1 GHz, 2MB)    Operating System: Windows 10 Home  Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe  Graphics: AMD® Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics  Memory: 8GB (DDR4, 2400MHz)
2. ideapad S145 15 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 (4 Core, 1.0 GHz, 6MB) Operating System: Windows 10 Home S Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVM Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics Memory: 8GB (DDR4, 2400MHz)

Edited by adiebell1
clean up.

Looking to spend about 800ish but could stretch a bit more if it's worth it. 

Aside from FM, I'll be using it to play strategy games like Total War, AoE, etc. Probably won't use it for other games like FPS types. 

Will also be using it for music production but nothing too mad so won't need anything more than gaming really (have an external soundcard)

Have taken note of some posted past few pages - the Medion Erazer posted is 580 but not sure if it's worth spending 800+ on anything other than that?

Cheers

9 hours ago, adiebell1 said:

I'm a tight Yorkshireman who due to an elderly laptop hasn't played any FM for 2-3 years. I'm looking for a new laptop with a max range unfortunately of £350ish. 

Read this thread which has been a big help but looking for a little more guidance. I'm wanting to run all UK leagues and top European ones as well with highlights in 3D if possible. 

Had a look at Lenovo official site and two laptops spring to mind.

.1. ideapad S145 14 - Grey - with 10% off comes to £305

Processor: AMD® Ryzen™ 5 3500U (4 Core, 2.1 GHz, 2MB)    Operating System: Windows 10 Home  Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe  Graphics: AMD® Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics  Memory: 8GB (DDR4, 2400MHz)
2. ideapad S145 15 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 (4 Core, 1.0 GHz, 6MB) Operating System: Windows 10 Home S Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVM Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics Memory: 8GB (DDR4, 2400MHz)

You are really going to struggle to find a laptop to play that sort of size database and game for any more than a season or two for that budget..  

Out of those two options you are better off with the first....  while the 1035g1 benchmarks better in isolation.. in reality, when it's under load for more than a few minutes (which fm will certainly do for long periods of time) it will suffer greatly from throttling and the low base frequency will make it useless for fm etc..

I can't recommend anything for that sort of budget to play all UK leagues and top euro ones too i'm afraid.. the budget is just too low ... would only suggest you look at the second hand market

1 hour ago, Yevnin said:

Looking to spend about 800ish but could stretch a bit more if it's worth it. 

Aside from FM, I'll be using it to play strategy games like Total War, AoE, etc. Probably won't use it for other games like FPS types. 

Will also be using it for music production but nothing too mad so won't need anything more than gaming really (have an external soundcard)

Have taken note of some posted past few pages - the Medion Erazer posted is 580 but not sure if it's worth spending 800+ on anything other than that?

Cheers

https://www.box.co.uk/30026124-Medion-Erazer-P6705_2614018.html

This is my newest laptop...   I play fm20 with 150k database and 25 leagues and it runs cool as you like and smooth as butter...

I also play Total War games .. TW: warhammer 2 runs perfectly, as do all the older TW games...   it also runs graphics heavy AAA titles on Very High detail no problem... 

Can't recommend it enough.... that said, you can spend on the other erazer i posted that you are talking about for 580 and still run what you need it too mentioned above, but I can't totally vouch for how well like i can with this one.

(though i would suggest upgrading the ram to at least 16gb like i have)

20 hours ago, Welshace said:

https://www.box.co.uk/30026124-Medion-Erazer-P6705_2614018.html

This is my newest laptop...   I play fm20 with 150k database and 25 leagues and it runs cool as you like and smooth as butter...

I also play Total War games .. TW: warhammer 2 runs perfectly, as do all the older TW games...   it also runs graphics heavy AAA titles on Very High detail no problem... 

Can't recommend it enough.... that said, you can spend on the other erazer i posted that you are talking about for 580 and still run what you need it too mentioned above, but I can't totally vouch for how well like i can with this one.

(though i would suggest upgrading the ram to at least 16gb like i have)

Sounds good - thanks. Presume it has a spare slot for extra ram then?

Good afternoon, 

Would the below laptop be suitable  and support FM20, I'm as far from a techy as you get, didn't want to waste my money, Any help very much appreciated.

HP 17.3 Inch i5 4GB 1TB + 16GB Optane HD Laptop

General features:

• Size H2.45, W27.22, D41.48cm.
  • Weight 2.45kg.
  • Up to 11 hours battery life.

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• Intel Core i5 10210U processor.
  • Quad core processor.
  • 1.6GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.2GHz.
  • 4GB RAM DDR4.
  • 1TB HDD storage.
  • 16GB.
  • Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 17.3 inch screen.
  • High definition display.
  • Resolution 1600 x 900 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

• DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

• AMD 530 graphics card with 2GB RAM.
  • Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

• Multi-card media card reader.
  • Secure Digital (SD), .
  • 1 USB 2.0 port.
  • 2 USB 3.1 ports.
  • 1 Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

• HD webcam.
  • Built-in mic.
  • Built-in audio sound system.
  • 30 days Microsoft Office.
  • 30 days McAfee LiveSafe.

General information:

• EAN: 194721036056.

1 hour ago, Yevnin said:

Cool - I've now bought it. Went down to 749. Hopefully the dpc latency is ok. 

I'm going to assume you are referring to audio issues with dpc latency .. you are using an external sound card right? so I can't imagine there being issues as long as your drivers are all up to date... the hardware in the erazers are pretty decent quality so shouldnt cause issues.  Keep me updated though, i'm curious to see how it goes for you :)

On 14/02/2019 at 12:44, Smurf said:

Large database would be a large amount of players. If you only have 5 or 6 leagues loaded where will al the players go? Clubs will fill their quota and the rest would be clubless.

I've posted better for £529 above on Save on Laptops.

Hi Smurf,

Rolling back the years a bit here but can you recommend a cheap laptop to run FM2018 or would the Acer Aspire E15 probably be the cheapest? (Probably looking to pick one up second hand).

Edited by Ross290783

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I was thinking one with the following specs:

- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad Core (2GHz, 6MB cache, 3.6GHz Max Boost Clock)

- 8GB RAM

- Integrated AMD Radeon Vega 3

Will it be able to run the match engine smoothly without any problem and in a good quality?

I always have 6 leagues and I keep my saves for many seasons.

Edited by Andreas7

5 hours ago, Andreas7 said:

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I was thinking one with the following specs:

- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad Core (2GHz, 6MB cache, 3.6GHz Max Boost Clock)

- 8GB RAM

- Integrated AMD Radeon Vega 3

Will it be able to run the match engine smoothly without any problem and in a good quality?

I always have 6 leagues and I keep my saves for many seasons.

Yes.  I have a laptop with the same specs and it's been absolutely fine.  You'll get 3D with your settings at a mixture of medium and high - tweak it a bit and you'll get there.

18 hours ago, Welshace said:

I'm going to assume you are referring to audio issues with dpc latency .. you are using an external sound card right? so I can't imagine there being issues as long as your drivers are all up to date... the hardware in the erazers are pretty decent quality so shouldnt cause issues.  Keep me updated though, i'm curious to see how it goes for you :)

I think problems can occur depending on drivers for things like usbs etc - for instance Dell often have issues for music peeps, just in terms of their design rather than update. External soundcards are connected via USB so it's a bit of a gamble with the Medion as I couldn't find anything about it online. But hey ho - cheers for your help. Will be arriving tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Yevnin said:

I think problems can occur depending on drivers for things like usbs etc - for instance Dell often have issues for music peeps, just in terms of their design rather than update. External soundcards are connected via USB so it's a bit of a gamble with the Medion as I couldn't find anything about it online. But hey ho - cheers for your help. Will be arriving tomorrow. 

Cool.. let me know how you get on, as i'm not really an audio expert in any way and would be interested to see how you find the medion

Hi,

looking at a new laptop (would be my first dedicated gaming laptop so processors and graphics cards worth looking at are new to me) and budget is £900/£950, have been looking at the below:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Quad Core 8 thread processor 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Dedicated Graphics

512GB PCI-e SSD paired with 16GB RAM 

FM along with Total War games would be my main games to play seen the above re the Medion Eraser but as someone who has never updated or modified laptops I’d rather not have to go through adding RAM or any extras. Would also use this occasionally for a small business use so would need to be able to potentially run adobe software in the future  

9 minutes ago, LB10 said:

Hi,

looking at a new laptop (would be my first dedicated gaming laptop so processors and graphics cards worth looking at are new to me) and budget is £900/£950, have been looking at the below:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Quad Core 8 thread processor 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Dedicated Graphics

512GB PCI-e SSD paired with 16GB RAM 

FM along with Total War games would be my main games to play seen the above re the Medion Eraser but as someone who has never updated or modified laptops I’d rather not have to go through adding RAM or any extras. Would also use this occasionally for a small business use so would need to be able to potentially run adobe software in the future  

For the price, especially with that very nice graphics card, I'd say this would be a great buy if you're playing other games too. The amount of hard-drive space may become an issue if you keep too many games installed, but otherwise, this should run FM, Total War, etc, without any issues. 

10 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

For the price, especially with that very nice graphics card, I'd say this would be a great buy if you're playing other games too. The amount of hard-drive space may become an issue if you keep too many games installed, but otherwise, this should run FM, Total War, etc, without any issues. 

Thanks, I’ve read a lot of reviews on it and the memory seems to be an issue for lots but I don’t hoard games and am happy enough uninstalling any that I won’t play for a few months. 

In terms of leagues and Size of player database how many do you think I could run? I last played FM17 on a MacBook (so painful and loud) and was never able to run anymore than 10-12 divisions across 4/5 leagues. I’d be looking at running between up to 10-15 leagues if I could. 

Edited by LB10

12 minutes ago, LB10 said:

Thanks, I’ve read a lot of reviews on it and the memory seems to be an issue for lots but I don’t hoard games and am happy enough uninstalling any that I won’t play for a few months. 

In terms of leagues and Size of player database how many do you think I could run? I last played FM17 on a MacBook (so painful and loud) and was never able to run anymore than 10-12 divisions across 4/5 leagues. I’d be looking at running between up to 10-15 leagues if I could. 

Well, it tends to depend on how quick you'd like the game to run, but if you keep the laptop well ventilated, that processor can get up to 4Ghz in speed, so you should be able to run 10-15 leagues, with a couple of divisions in each one, without much of an issue.

55 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Well, it tends to depend on how quick you'd like the game to run, but if you keep the laptop well ventilated, that processor can get up to 4Ghz in speed, so you should be able to run 10-15 leagues, with a couple of divisions in each one, without much of an issue.

Nice one. Cheers