Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

t was always meant to be a dream machine where you pick your local team and win everything- It was never really a football tactics simulator

Thats where you are wrong. SI oing for realism and bringing the ME as close to real life football as possible. As such it will be judged on that basis. 

34 minutes ago, Mitja said:

but seriously i think a little player movement upfront (core issue imho) would do wonders to the beta, it was very close to be very solid ME. and i'm sure the next one will be.

This is what i believe as well. Roll back to previous version and try and fix lack of movement in central areas i then believe the through ball/crosses issues are fixed and make slight tweaks to the pressing. 

My feedback.

I like the dark skin and i like other UI changes like the scouted players list as an option to the cards. 

Training changes i could have done without. In game tutorial about whats good for a schedule etc is nowhere to be found. I have just set my AM to it as its simpler. I understand wanting to change it, and it has potential, but i vastly preffered previous versions where i could just set it once and be done.

I like the tactics changes, gives more control of the tactic you want to create and how you want your team to play.

Unfortunately i have had to stop playing as the match engine is just so poor atm that those great tactic changes mean nothing as i cant get the team to play how i like.

I dont want my defenders passing it long, i want my front 3 to move and offer themselves for passes, i want my midfield to play through balls.

Luckily the ME problems i have are all reported in the bugs forum ( i made sure to look), now i just hope they get sorted as i want to play the game i paid for and enjoy it. And i can enjoy it atm.

Edited by Siven

17 minutes ago, Amarante said:

This is what i believe as well. Roll back to previous version and try and fix lack of movement in central areas i then believe the through ball/crosses issues are fixed and make slight tweaks to the pressing. 

imo crossing and lack of through balls issues are product of lack of movement in final third and AMR/L narrow positioning with strikers in the box. one of the key componenets of wingers or IFs play and off the ball movement is stretching play which then opens up packed defense. this was normal behaviour until at least fm17, didn't play 18 so i don't know when it was changed. if there are 7 players parked in the box it is to be expected there will be no space for such passing. also if AMR/Ls played wider they would naturally offer more passing options for fullbacks when the ball is on the flank, especially now when fullbacks are a little more willing to hold up ball. i believe all players on that side including centre backs in some cases should make more effort to make themselves available for recycling possession when the ball is on their flank. it's not unusulal in real football to see MCs on the touchline, i think they should play wider and stretch play and move there more often. for example holding midfielders main responsibility is to link up play and while they're not venturing too far upfront, they should be more ready to support fullback to have passing option. this is an area where the difference between hard-working MC who's allways in the right spot and avarage one really could be seen. 

i have opened new thread in ME forum so if anyone wants to help with these things he's welcome.

EDIT - this post made on what I presume is 19.1.4, before I joined public beta

I think one of the problems, and its a major one, is the issue of when players are engaging in the counter-press.

I've just conceded a late goal, long ball, deep into my half, and my players, rather than getting back into position, have herded round the ball carrier like sheep, leaving a vacuum in the centre of the pitch for the ball to be played to central runners and an easy goal against me.

With respect to the nature of the problem, it looked very much like my back lines were engaging the counter press when they were the last line of defence, deep in my own half. The issue here is that players would not engage a counter-press when they are clearly in the defensive phase. Even with pressing as more urgent (it was), this would not happen in this area of the pitch when the ball has gone direct.

I have logged a bug report on the thread in the ME section discussing pressing - pkm is "LR - OM v Paris SG".

Edited by Lord Rowell

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

there's one things i agree with mods

Youre doing the internet wrong... Mods are the traffic wardens of the online world :lol:

I get the annoyance at the constant OTT reactions... But this is a feedback thread... I think moaning is fair game, as is lavishing praise.

Talking about bugs and directly asking for response from SI, however, is not what the thread is for... So should rightly be redirected or removed. 

17 минут назад, GOODNAME сказал:

After 19.1.4 update my game in lagging between days.. anyone have this problem ? 

Yes me too, it freeze sometimes after last minor patch

Guys this is my 3rd year with Adanaspor.

1st year I got 2 long term injuries (broken lower leg for 2 players)

2nd year I got another 2 long term injuries (broken lower leg, broken foot) Since I enjoy the game I handled with it but!

3rd year I am on February (I got 2 players who has broken lower leg and 2 players who has broken foot)

You guys are too experienced for this and it is a huge disappointment. I don't enjoy the game I am playing since I know that whoever I am gonna buy in transfer season he will be gone for a year

2 hours ago, szp said:

If anyone would like to give some examples of crossing problems, feel free to contribute ;)

It's honestly a bit ridiculous if SI actually need PKM's of this considering how frequently it happens, that is to say so frequently that it's basically the default behavior of a wide player getting to a crossing position. The player actually crossing at the right time and not waiting around for the cross to get blocked or to get tackled is the exception to the rule, not the other way around. What would you even upload? It could be any match I've played in the entire save picked completely randomly, or it could be all the matches I've played in FM uploaded at once.

A lot has been said about the lack of central movement, overly-direct play etc and there seems to be an impression that if you actually set out to play the kind of football that the ME encourages (direct, passing into space, wing play) then you will have a great time. Well, I've done that, and while I'm certainly enjoying my games way more than I did with other tactical styles, this issue often takes the shine off that as well as you see some excellent, fast paced, counter attacking moves that make you think "yes, this is exactly what I want to see" and should end with a low cross and a tap in only to... end up in a corner because the wide player just freezes in place when he gets to the byline inside the box, and the defender catches up to him.

Surely this isn't as difficult to fix as some of the more major issues? Unless SI are holding off on fixing this because they suspect the ME will become (even more of) a complete cross-fest if they do. 

Also not enough people talk about another issue - what the hell happened to crosses from deep? Because they are completely missing from FM19. I have not seen a single one even from deeper fullback roles like FB-S. Another element of real life football that just doesn't exist in this ME for some reason. I get that it needed to be toned down (I can't remember if it was FM17 or 18, but I'm pretty sure in one of them there were tons of goals from deep crosses -> striker tap in) but geez.

Edited by bar333

Si need PKMs, because PKMs contain match code. and Each time they get a PKM it's like adding another jigsaw piece. So what you call ridiculous, is actually incredibly helpful. So it's far more useful that someone like szp creates a thread and uploads examples and gets people to add to them, than you, calling it ridiculous. If you don't want to add to that thread thats absolutely fine, but almost dissuading others from doing so is unhelpful. If a user is ever in doubt that something they might percieve as bug isn't being looked, then creating a thread is incredibly useful, even if the answer is that its already being investigated

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Si need PKMs, because PKMs contain match code. and Each time they get a PKM it's like adding another jigsaw piece. So what you call ridiculous, is actually incredibly helpful. So it's far more useful that someone like szp creates a thread and uploads examples and gets people to add to them, than you, calling it ridiculous. If you don't want to add to that thread thats absolutely fine, but almost dissuading others from doing so is unhelpful

And they can't just run a couple of games at the office and get all the code they need?

This isn't some rare issue specific to this tactic or that, it's happening everywhere, in every single game, with every single player, role and duty, to everyone. I mean seriously.

Just now, bar333 said:

And they can't just run a couple of games at the office and get all the code they need?

This isn't some rare issue specific to this tactic or that, it's happening everywhere, in every single game, with every single player, role and duty, to everyone. I mean seriously.

They will already do that, but every situation will have a slightly different context, and PKMs, in a subjective match engine, builds a better picture in the code every time you get more examples, so you can't just run a couple of games and hey presto it done.

1 hour ago, TurkishWonderkid said:

2nd year I got another 2 long term injuries (broken lower leg, broken foot) Since I enjoy the game I handled with it but!

3rd year I am on February (I got 2 players who has broken lower leg and 2 players who has broken foot)

You guys are too experienced for this and it is a huge disappointment. I don't enjoy the game I am playing since I know that whoever I am gonna buy in transfer season he will be gone for a year

2 long term injuries every year are hardly unrealistic?

1 hora atrás, TurkishWonderkid disse:

That's football. Porto bought Chancel Mbemba and he got a severe injury in his first pre-season friendly that rulled him out for months.

Not even rare.

Every player can get injured anytime. There are things you can do, like paying attention to the medical center and training intensity, but IRL every team gets a bunch of injuries per season.

17 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

2 long term injuries every year are hardly unrealistic?

Yea dude there is no logic to explain 1 broken leg, 1 broken ankle and 2 broken lower leg in only 4 months and no need to pretend like you are one of us, you work for FM. Its like my 100th feedback on this forum and whenever it is smth to be improved, there is always that guy with a sarcastic question. Dude just improve things because I kinda feel like I 'wasted' a whole week instead of 'spent' for this game.

ps: if you decide take notes and improve things. In the first season there was one player named 'Didi' He took the 4th yellow card and banned for one game but he couldn't played for the rest of the season. I checked every match but ban was there which was writing only 4 yellow cards and one game. If you want I can send the saved game and you can check what was going on with the injuries and bans.

Edited by TurkishWonderkid

1 minute ago, TurkishWonderkid said:

Yea dude there is no logic to explain 1 broken leg, 1 broken ankle and 2 broken lower leg in only 4 months and no need to pretend like you are one of us, you work for FM. Its like my 100th feedback on this forum and whenever it is smth to be improved, there is always that guy with a sarcastic question. Dude just improve things because I kinda feel like I 'wasted' a whole week instead of 'spent' for this game.

ps: if you decide take notes and improve things. In the first season there was one player named 'Didi' He took the 4th yellow card and banned for one game but he couldn't played for the rest of the season. I checked every match but ban was there which was writing only 4 yellow cards and one game. If you want I check send the saved game and you can check what was going on with the injuries and bans.

There's nothing to improve, nothing you suggested is out of the ordinary

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's nothing to improve, nothing you suggested is out of the ordinary

So you are normalizing 4 long term injuries in 4 months ok. Lets say its one in a billion.

How come there is nothing to improve with ban? My player couldn't play more than 15 games because he got the 4th yellow card. I say check the saved game? Whats this unprofessionalism?

Edited by TurkishWonderkid

53 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Si need PKMs, because PKMs contain match code.

I think its difficult to know whats helpful in terms of pattern of play tho. Where one person subjectively feels a player should cross another will think he should pass and another will think he should dribble. 

As was stated the overall problem in beta was cross fest (match stats could tell you this, no need for pkm) and now there is too much dwelling on the ball. Its not unique to certain setups... So why would a pkm of my match be more useful than any of the thousands of matches SI must have at their disposal? Im not sure it is? When talking about such wide spread issue... Particularly when its a subjective event. 

Personally ive only raised 6 or so bugs this year... And i only raise bugs where the problem is certain/factual i. E. Disallowed own goal shows for the wrong team on the timeline. 

39 minutes ago, TurkishWonderkid said:

you work for FM

Yes that must be it. The game, the developers and this forum; we're all conspiring against you.

Current Premier League injuries https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Let's take West Ham as an example as of today:

Fredericks - Long-term ankle injury

Yarmolenko - Long-term achilles injury

Sanchez - Long-term knee injury

WIlshire - Long-term ankle injury

Reid - Long-term knee injury

Lanzini - Long-term ACL injury

Most of these happened within the last 4 months, just like your example. Maybe Pellegrini will be crying on here soon?

Edited by rdbayly

38 minutes ago, TurkishWonderkid said:

ps: if you decide take notes and improve things. In the first season there was one player named 'Didi' He took the 4th yellow card and banned for one game but he couldn't played for the rest of the season. I checked every match but ban was there which was writing only 4 yellow cards and one game. If you want I can send the saved game and you can check what was going on with the injuries and bans.

I don't work for SI, I'm just a player like you are. 

The 4 card thing seems like a bug, no idea why you didn't report that in the bugs forum. 

7 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Yes that must be it. The game, the developers and this forum; we're all conspiring against you.

Current Premier League injuries https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Let's take West Ham as an example as of today:

Fredericks - Long-term ankle injury

Yarmolenko - Long-term achilles injury

Sanchez - Long-term knee injury

WIlshire - Long-term ankle injury

Reid - Long-term knee injury

Lanzini - Long-term ACL injury

Most of these happened within the last 4 months, just like your example. Maybe Pellegrini will be crying on here soon?

Galatasaray has at least 10 injuries now in real. I am not talking about that. Previous years we didn't have that. Exceptions are not exceptions anymore if they happen often.

And West Ham also had at least 2 long term injuries 3 years in a row?

Season 2016?

2017?

2018?

I am still playing the game? Hopefully this is just a huge coincidence.

9 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Yes me too, it freeze sometimes after last minor patch

Yup, after the last update the game has started dropping frames/lagging in the match screen. This shouldn't be happening with my nvidia 1050ti graphics card & 16GB ram...was working perfectly before...

Please resolve this issue it's very frustrating

7 hours ago, bar333 said:

Here you are generalising cos you take the examples from this thread and say its happening everywhere, when it doesn't happen in my game at all. 

15 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

It was always meant to be a dream machine where you pick your local team and win everything- It was never really a football tactics simulator so to complain about ME is kind of useless.

The thing is, if FM ever was a "sim", including AI proper to boot, the "game is scripted/unfair/AI is cheating" nonsense distratcting from the game's actuall issues would be literally all over the place.

Like the Steam forums, FMBase, et all, where people who don't understand the game (including its flaws) as is, are rife. And where misconceptions are allowed to florish. Unlike here. There's a difference between (mostly) winning stuff - and understanding why you do so. Actually, that, as mass evidenced, you can put hundreds of hours into it without getting it may be another concern entirelly, but that's a different story. :D  Without the game educating its primary player base about the latter -- be it by incorporating intelligent assistants proper, or else -- there will come a point where progress will stall. From a game developer's persective, the least you want is to code a game which a majority of its playerbase thinks of as inherently unfair. I know it would tick me off personally.

Given that AI ever since in their simple way tend to manage scorelines, players and space as opposed to Match Of The Day style simpleton stats (final possession and shot counts on a spreadsheet), it's no wonder that some consider it to be such already (even if they actually oft outperform AI without realizing -- e.g. what the AI would do with the same players if it took over). Could you imagine the mass outcry if rather than the AI going into, say "AI generic park the bus mode", it would specifically try to plug the zones tried to be overloaded by opponents?

The alternative to that would be arguably not much of a game though, as in a senes, a truly football simulation isn't all that game like, as the margins in any sports are typcally far smaller than what sport games tend to portray.

Like coding an engine where tactical decisions tend to shift the odds a few, as tends to happen in real football. Long shots will still remain long shots, and vice versa. Over the course of single seasons, much surprises may endure -- which tend to be corrected the following season after, as randomness has more of a say over 30-40 matches than over hundreds. That would need to take en engine and UI for a start though which doesn't allow player movement that you rarely see on a football pitch for a start though. E.g. options that allow managers to NEVER protect theira d-line for every single minute of a season and similar needed to go -- or need to be alowed to be corrected by inherently "player common sense" rather than followed. Basically, the game must assume that, like in real football, managers taking over tend to be actual managers seeing roughly eye to eye, rather than football fans watching lotsa MOTD (or sometimes flawed AI).

Edited by Svenc

ill log this one in the bugs forum as well but bids for my players are really low compared to bids outside my club. 3 defenders went for over 100 mill in the fm world and strikers went for over 100 mill and when they come to bid for mine van dijk worth 70 mill they bid 50 and gomez worth 78 they bid 60 the values of the players that went for 100 mill + were lower than mine

13 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

ill log this one in the bugs forum as well but bids for my players are really low compared to bids outside my club. 3 defenders went for over 100 mill in the fm world and strikers went for over 100 mill and when they come to bid for mine van dijk worth 70 mill they bid 50 and gomez worth 78 they bid 60 the values of the players that went for 100 mill + were lower than mine

Did you, out of curiosity of what you could actually get, negotiate? 

In FM18 I also always received low starting offers , often below marketvalue, but was pleasantly surprised about the wiggle room. For instance Bayern went for Firminho with a 56mil EUR bid but I managed to sell him for 75 up front, + 20 million on top in bonusses and spread terms and even a percentage of next sale of I believe 15 %.

The transfer ended up almost double of the insulting (In a fun way) starting offer.

I am not all that sure there is a bug.;)

Edited by Mensell76

7 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

dembele though 101 mill worth 68 

:eek: that much to attract a pro FIFA gamer these days ?? (For anyone who has missed the latest gossip about this very serious professional)

11 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

i couldnt get dybala as he failed work permit which is stupid enough as hes played over 40 times for argentina then even more stupid he signs for city and permit given :seagull:

That indeed sounds a lot more strange mate. Dybala on a work permit :idiot:

15 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

i couldnt get dybala as he failed work permit which is stupid enough as hes played over 40 times for argentina then even more stupid he signs for city and permit given :seagull:

REPORT IT IN THE BUGS FORUM THEN.

Honestly, there's absolutely no point in complaining about something "game breaking" without actually reporting it. 

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Here you are generalising cos you take the examples from this thread and say its happening everywhere, when it doesn't happen in my game at all. 

So you're saying that you don't have any problem with high amount of blocked crosses and strange behaviour of wide players? 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Svenc:

The thing is, if FM ever was a "sim", including AI proper to boot, the "game is scripted/unfair/AI is cheating" nonsense distratcting from the game's actuall issues would be literally all over the place.

Like the Steam forums, FMBase, et all, where people who don't understand the game (including its flaws) as is, are rife. And where misconceptions are allowed to florish. Unlike here. There's a difference between (mostly) winning stuff - and understanding why you do so. Actually, that, as mass evidenced, you can put hundreds of hours into it without getting it may be another concern entirelly, but that's a different story. :D  Without the game educating its primary player base about the latter -- be it by incorporating intelligent assistants proper, or else -- there will come a point where progress will stall. From a game developer's persective, the least you want is to code a game which a majority of its playerbase thinks of as inherently unfair. I know it would tick me off personally.

Given that AI ever since in their simple way tend to manage scorelines, players and space as opposed to Match Of The Day style simpleton stats (final possession and shot counts on a spreadsheet), it's no wonder that some consider it to be such already (even if they actually oft outperform AI without realizing -- e.g. what the AI would do with the same players if it took over). Could you imagine the mass outcry if rather than the AI going into, say "AI generic park the bus mode", it would specifically try to plug the zones tried to be overloaded by opponents?

The alternative to that would be arguably not much of a game though, as in a senes, a truly football simulation isn't all that game like, as the margins in any sports are typcally far smaller than what sport games tend to portray.

Unsichtbaren Inhalt anzeigen

Like coding an engine where tactical decisions tend to shift the odds a few, as tends to happen in real football. Long shots will still remain long shots, and vice versa. Over the course of single seasons, much surprises may endure -- which tend to be corrected the following season after, as randomness has more of a say over 30-40 matches than over hundreds. That would need to take en engine and UI for a start though which doesn't allow player movement that you rarely see on a football pitch for a start though. E.g. options that allow managers to NEVER protect theira d-line for every single minute of a season and similar needed to go -- or need to be alowed to be corrected by inherently "player common sense" rather than followed. Basically, the game must assume that, like in real football, managers taking over tend to be actual managers seeing roughly eye to eye, rather than football fans watching lotsa MOTD (or sometimes flawed AI).

What are you actually saying? That people are too stupid to understand the genius match engine? Honestly I have no clue 

16 hours ago, Siven said:

I like the tactics changes, gives more control of the tactic you want to create and how you want your team to play.

Unfortunately i have had to stop playing as the match engine is just so poor atm that those great tactic changes mean nothing as i cant get the team to play how i like.

I dont want my defenders passing it long, i want my front 3 to move and offer themselves for passes, i want my midfield to play through balls.

I feel the same way pretty much.

Though I haven't completely stopped playing the game. I still play a little bit but every time I do I exit after couple of matches frustrated by the ME issues.

But I think those issues are normal when they have to code the new tactical module into the ME on the pitch. Hopefully SI finds some solutions.

If SI want to genuinely get the game to be as realistic to real life as possible in terms of how it plays (ME) they need to get back to basics and fix the issues that have been around a while. 

And yes, Its a game, but SI have quoted thet want the game as close to real life as possible. And even real life can be random and give us wonky stats, errors etc at times, but starting with removing bugs would be a start. 

27 minutes ago, Preveza said:

If SI want to genuinely get the game to be as realistic to real life as possible in terms of how it plays (ME) they need to get back to basics and fix the issues that have been around a while. 

And yes, Its a game, but SI have quoted thet want the game as close to real life as possible. And even real life can be random and give us wonky stats, errors etc at times, but starting with removing bugs would be a start. 

The trouble is, I think SI's criteria for realistic is "statistically reflecting the outcomes of current football" - where current usually means a couple of year's lag from what's happening in the league. If they were a bigger studio with much greater resources it would probably serve them well to go right back to basics and develop a match engine that's based on the physical limitations of players that allowed you to experiment with any formation and instructions. A good framework would be an 'Inverting the Pyramid" type football Civ game - football is a constantly evolving thing and FM's tactical framework, especially with regards to roles, is a straightjacket that does not in reality exist. 

That won't happen because lack of resources combined with keeping the annual release going (any serious revamping of the ME, as opposed to iterative changes on the current technical debt laden code would undoubtedly go a long way from 'realistic' before getting things right). But to have a ME that wasn't constrained by statistical adherence to  a particular era would certainly heavily benefit FM when it reached a suitable point of development to fold back into the main game.

Edited by rp1966
Typos

1 hour ago, thejay said:

What are you actually saying? That people are too stupid to understand the genius match engine? Honestly I have no clue 

What I am saying is that AI managers in their simple way manage the spaces that exist within the engine. It doesn't matter if it's a genius engine or not -- there are spaces, as else this wouldn't be a sports simulation. Some of which @MBarbaric could likely testify would liekely not exist in real football, but that's beside the point. Whereas your average FM'er tends to manage possession and shot counts. He's never understood so far at all that the occasionally "statistically one sided match" that he didn't win wasn't purely "bad luck". But that such one sided stats have first and foremost been the result of (typically defensive AI) trying to keep it tight on their end. Sometimes, they do it but for a half, perhaps as by that half they have secured their desired result. Oft, they do it for the entirety of a match, like if they don't concede at all. On occasion, they may only attack much for ten minutes -- presto the 30 vs 5 shots 0-1 scoreline is generated.

What the AI are doing so far is to do this in a generic way. They drop deep. They tend to keep armies of players behind the ball (in FM lingo, traditionally defend "Hold position" duties). They keep things compact. They do it off different formations according to their preferences edited. Some of those formations tend to deefend the flanks better, some the central areas (typically the formations with but the wingbacks as wide players). What they don't -- or to limited extent -- do is specifically reacting to where they are actually getting attacked at. So some AI happen to defend the flanks better -- some happen to defend the central areas better. If they were to specifically defend where attacks are coming through -- as actual managers would do in actual football, the cheating AI conspiracy nonsense would go through the roof.

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, szp said:

So you're saying that you don't have any problem with high amount of blocked crosses and strange behaviour of wide players? 

I am telling him not to include me in the group of people who are having 'his' issues.

As much as i'm warming to the match engine, set pieces are way OP.

The first 4 games of my new season has seen 5 goals from indirect free kicks and 4 from corners. 9 set piece goals in 4 games. Fully expect this to continue all season.

Even rudimentary testing would have picked this up.

Not knocking SI for the sake of it but I don't know how this stuff makes it to a full release of the game.

Edited by Mr U Rosler

15 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

As much as i'm warming to the match engine, set pieces are way OP.

The first 4 games of my new season has seen 5 goals from indirect free kicks and 4 from corners. 9 set piece goals in 4 games. Fully expect this to continue all season.

Even rudimentary testing would have picked this up.

Not knocking SI for the sake of it but I don't know how this stuff makes it to a full release of the game.

Thats a pretty small sample tbh. And secondly testing isn't the same as coding. Be interesting to see what that's like for all teams over a season. 

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Svenc:

What I am saying is that AI managers in their simple way manage the spaces that exist within the engine. It doesn't matter if it's a genius engine or not -- there are spaces, as else this wouldn't be a sports simulation. Some of which @MBarbaric could likely testify would liekely not exist in real football, but that's beside the point. Whereas your average FM'er tends to manage possession and shot counts. He's never understood so far at all that the occasionally "statistically one sided match" that he didn't win wasn't purely "bad luck". But that such one sided stats have first and foremost been the result of (typically defensive AI) trying to keep it tight on their end. Sometimes, they do it but for a half, perhaps as by that half they have secured their desired result. Oft, they do it for the entirety of a match, like if they don't concede at all. On occasion, they may only attack much for ten minutes -- presto the 30 vs 5 shots 0-1 scoreline is generated.

What the AI are doing so far is to do this in a generic way. They drop deep. They tend to keep armies of players behind the ball (in FM lingo, traditionally defend "Hold position" duties). They keep things compact. They do it off different formations according to their preferences edited. Some of those formations tend to deefend the flanks better, some the central areas (typically the formations with but the wingbacks as wide players). What they don't -- or to limited extent -- do is specifically reacting to where they are actually getting attacked at. So some AI happen to defend the flanks better -- some happen to defend the central areas better. If they were to specifically defend where attacks are coming through -- as actual managers would do in actual football, the cheating AI conspiracy nonsense would go through the roof.

Sorry i still dont understand it , how would you know what the so called "average" fm player pays attention to?   Thats the point of actually watching matches in the match engine where you can see how good a chance actually is.

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Thats a pretty small sample tbh. And secondly testing isn't the same as coding. Be interesting to see what that's like for all teams over a season. 

Just checked last season, conceded 20 from corners and 11 from indirect free kicks in 46 games. Not as bad as i thought but not great. Will see how rest of this season goes, looking a bit crazy at the moment.