What year is the best version of football manager?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with asking a question like this is people will often have the fondest memory of the FM version which they had the most successful or memorable save with!  

For me, I still think FM19 is the best version, with the beta suggesting FM20 will top that.

That said, if you desperate to play an older version, going from memory I'd say give FM14 or FM16 a play.  I never played FM17 so can't comment on that one.

The problem with that is really, what is "best". Is it most realistic? Most fun? Hardest? Or loads of other parameters. I remember having LOADS of fun with CM 96/97, but I went back and played it a few years ago, and it really don't stand the test of time if you compare it with modern FMs. The same with CM 01/02, I played that loads and have long and fun careers. But trying it now? It's lacking....something. So for me, the "best" is quite often the newest I've played. Because all new versions bring something new, and if you have gotten used to it, then you really miss it when it's not there. In terms of what Steam tells me FM19 is my most played game, but I only have back to FM09 there...

I guess you can find people who have pretty much every version as their favourite, since, at @kevhamster writes, it's also often the version they had the most fun with because of a memorable save.

I find that generally going back to an earlier version doesn't always hold the lure, unless I am revisiting a long-term save from there.  Given how thorough FM research is most of the players that exceed were tipped to exceed by them and are well known to us all, those who didn't but were OP in the game are known to us all and it becomes  case of simply buying lesser players to avoid buying the players we all know will be successful and will join even the lowest of teams.  That said my favourite version is either Fm06m or FM07 where Sanli Tuncay and some nigerian from Inter (not Obafemi Martins) were insane or whichever version had Greys in the conference with Michael Kightly, Aaron McClean etc, think it was the same year as Pablo Vitti and some awesome Uruguayan who would literally join anyone and would rock it in top divisions too.

There will never be a 'best' version, for me the most 'complete' version is FM17. Interface was sublime, match engine mirrored real life football exceptionally well, I never once had any crash dumps, game ran like a dream, and I never had any game breaking issues.

18 was a bug fest for me, 19 gave me 3 game breaking glitches, so as @XaW says it's not a case of best, but version I had the most fun with. However if I go back a year, I had the best save I can ever remember on FM16.

FM13 was my most-played and favourite version, but FM19 was the best version I've played (I've not played FM20 yet). I find that SI do a pretty good job of adding interesting new features while refining existing ones. As such, pretty much every new version improves on the previous one in my eyes.

26 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

That said my favourite version is either Fm06m or FM07 where Sanli Tuncay and some nigerian from Inter (not Obafemi Martins) were insane or whichever version had Greys in the conference with Michael Kightly, Aaron McClean etc, think it was the same year as Pablo Vitti and some awesome Uruguayan who would literally join anyone and would rock it in top divisions too.

FM07 was the version where Grays were at their peak. I had a great six-month demo save with Grays where Aaron McLean was fantastic for me (as were loan signings Tim Sparv from Southampton and Stuart Nicholson from West Brom). Unfortunately, I never continued that career on the full version, where I had HUGE problems with saves corrupting on me.

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Features wise, FM20 hands down. 

Match engine wise, I'm hoping they can sort this out for release, but for now, my favourite match engine is still FM17. It's as close to perfect as they've ever managed. And that's not just rose tinted specs. I played a new save on FM17 prior to the current beta dropping, and it was as good as ever. 

Marry FM20's features with FM17's gameplay and you've got the single greatest game in gaming history!

I didn't really play as much of FM17 as recent versions but as you played the game again recently, what made the ME so good in your opinion compared to recent versions?

For me the ME is the most important part of the game and I find the ME in FM20 lacking in the attacking play like so many on this forum do too. Hoping they can rectify the issues otherwise I'll simply have to revert back to an older game in the series. 

Edited by craigcwwe

FM17 in terms of scouting and match engine. I really like the newest additions though about manager-player interactions, player groups within the team and training. 

I agree with @Dagenham_Dave, FM20 features along with FM17 gameplay would be a lifetime game for me. I played FM17 until two weeks ago and gave FM18 a try. Not bad, but the UI and the 2D Classic turn me off big time.

16 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I didn't really play as much of FM17 as recent versions but as you played the game again recently, what made the ME so good in your opinion compared to recent versions?

Although, like any version, there were overpowered formations, there wasn't really an OP play style. You could set your team up exactly how you wanted and as long as you brought in the right personnel, you could get it working beautifully. For example, in my last FM17 save, I was playing in Colombia and played with a winger-less diamond formation with the emphasis on my No.10 to supply through balls to my forwards, incorporating a short passing style. In FM19 (and this beta), I would still see loads of long balls, and shots from 30+ yards flying in, but on 17 after the tactic was fluid, it played out exactly how I wanted. I didn't always  win, because that's football, but it looked like my players were actually trying to play in the style I wanted.  That's what the match engine needs to get back to. 

13 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Match engine wise, I'm hoping they can sort this out for release, but for now, my favourite match engine is still FM17. It's as close to perfect as they've ever managed. And that's not just rose tinted specs. I played a new save on FM17 prior to the current beta dropping, and it was as good as ever. 

Marry FM20's features with FM17's gameplay and you've got the single greatest game in gaming history!

Agreed.

14 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Although, like any version, there were overpowered formations, there wasn't really an OP play style. You could set your team up exactly how you wanted and as long as you brought in the right personnel, you could get it working beautifully. For example, in my last FM17 save, I was playing in Colombia and played with a winger-less diamond formation with the emphasis on my No.10 to supply through balls to my forwards, incorporating a short passing style. In FM19 (and this beta), I would still see loads of long balls, and shots from 30+ yards flying in, but on 17 after the tactic was fluid, it played out exactly how I wanted. I didn't always  win, because that's football, but it looked like my players were actually trying to play in the style I wanted.  That's what the match engine needs to get back to. 

What about FM18?

41 minutes ago, Armistice said:

What about FM18?

18 was similar, but they used a new graphics engine on that game for the first time (IIRC), and it was, er, a work in progress. And there were a few more issues with the match engine. Solid enough game though, and it was the edition that introduced dynamics and the medical centre into the game, two great additions IMO. 

15 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Oh yes, this exactly. It reminded me about one of my favourite saves in FMs and I still remember winning everything with Napoli playing the ugliest (barely any possession, kicking the hell out of opposition players, etc. I was inspired by Atletico) football I ever attempted in any FM. And it worked. Can't really see defensive, dirty football working in newer games, sadly. Also the regen faces were much much better, especially with hair packs.

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Just brought sealed copies of FM16 & 17 :D

My one and only ever unbeaten season was on FM16 with Hacken in Sweden. Remember that save very fondly. Brazilian striker Rony was an absolute beast. 16 had a very nice engine too. 

36 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

My one and only ever unbeaten season was on FM16 with Hacken in Sweden. Remember that save very fondly. Brazilian striker Rony was an absolute beast. 16 had a very nice engine too. 

It's night & day just watching the FM15 ME 

I apparently put 700 hours into this game & still never understood it :D

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I don't always agreewithe you Dave, but your posts on this thread are spot on

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

18 was similar, but they used a new graphics engine on that game for the first time (IIRC), and it was, er, a work in progress. And there were a few more issues with the match engine. Solid enough game though, and it was the edition that introduced dynamics and the medical centre into the game, two great additions IMO. 

So you think FM17 ME beats FM18 ME?

On 08/11/2019 at 19:47, Dagenham_Dave said:

huge facts. fm17 was art

depends how old you want to go. my favourite was fm15 but that may have been because it was my first. i'd say fm19 is the best because fm20 is quite buggy atm, but fm17 was my most played and that game was insanely good

On 08/11/2019 at 12:03, BillHoudini24 said:

FM17 in terms of scouting and match engine. I really like the newest additions though about manager-player interactions, player groups within the team and training. 

I agree with @Dagenham_Dave, FM20 features along with FM17 gameplay would be a lifetime game for me. I played FM17 until two weeks ago and gave FM18 a try. Not bad, but the UI and the 2D Classic turn me off big time.

Agree entirely.

FM17. Match engine felt best yet (for me its by far). The 3d match graphics look just as good as current and less cartoonish especially the stands and stadiums.

FM18 added scouting cards which are still just a mess of unnecessary clicks and navigation for the same information that was displayed more clearly and concisely without them in 17.

FM18 also brought in clunkier overall UI design that feels tangibly worse, more convoluted, and repeats the same info in more places with many unneeded buttons, drop-downs, illogical flow, and wasted screen space. This all continued as the base look for 19 and 20. Its a bummer. (Sidenote: the manager avatar in particular is so ugly and pixelated it looks like software from 1993, I'm shocked SI prefers showing it off as a "feature" to having nothing at all.)

I paid for 18 and 19 to play a total of like 40 hours before getting so fed up I went back to FM17 and had a wonderful long Palermo save until giving this beta a try. I would play FM17 forever but I want new rosters and I like the concepts of the recent feature additions training, dynamics, pathway.

FM15 for me. I put a lot of hours into 13 too if I remember rightly. 

And CM 01/02 will always have a place on my laptop. I usually boot it up a few times a year and just lose myself in it for a few weeks. So many great players. And I love how modern machines can comfortably run all the leagues on full detail and still allow you to plough through a season in no time. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2019 at 16:30, andyt365 said:

Im thinking of having a game on an older version. Which year was the best version of the game and why?

FM17 if you haven't played. Imo it has the best 3d ME and the graphics and overall lighting looks much better than latter FMs and also the overall gameplay, yes it doesn't have some eluding features like training sessions and club dynamics but for me its better ME covers that up

FC Barcelona v Real Madrid_ Field Full.png

Getafe v FC Barcelona_ Field Full-4.png

Getafe v FC Barcelona_ Field Full-3.png

Real Madrid v Levante_ Field Full.png

As an update to this, since FM20 has been officially released and updated, I think the actual match engine itself is now better than FM17, however FM17 has zero lag in the 3D engine, so looks and plays smoother, and the pitch and lighting effects are better too. That's a couple of areas that's been inexcusable for SI to regress the game on over the last few editions. 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

As an update to this, since FM20 has been officially released and updated, I think the actual match engine itself is now better than FM17, however FM17 has zero lag in the 3D engine, so looks and plays smoother, and the pitch and lighting effects are better too. That's a couple of areas that's been inexcusable for SI to regress the game on over the last few editions. 

What update exactly are you referring to? Hotfix 20.2.3 ?

Edited by bitzu_rock

19 (and from the little I've played, it'll likely soon be 20) is my favourite off the field (for sure), but on the field I'm not sure; hard to tell definitively with nostalgic glasses & fading memories, but I remember enjoying the ME side much more in earlier versions (12-13 were good & I enjoyed 17's ME too - were they as realistic? Probably not, but they were more enjoyable & fun - for me/my tastes - which is why I play the game in the first place)? Had a lot of success with 19 but stopped playing it a whilst back (when life got in the way) and whenever I found a bit of time and thought about firing it back up, it was the thought of slogging/grinding back at the ME that put me off which says a lot (not sure if that's a lot about me or the game, but I'll leave it there so we don't have yet another thread derail into an ME-fest!) :)

For me it is always the current one. I think of FM as a constantly updating game that I pay a yearly subscription to, and the game is constantly being improved in many ways.

I'll always have memories of past versions of FM, but once a new version comes out then that is what I am focused on. I couldnt go back to a past version without the new features. It is also all about the database for me too. I play FM for the accuracy and realism of the footballing world that is represented, so to go back to a database from some years ago would alter that perception for me.

I personally believe the match engine has been better in every version, or at least as far as I recall. It will never be perfect and anyone who thinks the latest match engine should be a perfect representation of football needs to rethink things.

Edited by anagain

There is no poll in this thread - and even if there was, I'd imagine many people would vote for their favourite version rather than what they feel is the best version.

Edited by CFuller

6 minutes ago, Federico said:

I don't think anyone demands for a perfect ME.

Surely everyone is demanding for an improved ME.

Considering how this poll is going, everything went to the wrong direction.

Are you suggesting that the small subset of FM players who contribute here is representative of the whole?

I personally think way too many people come on here demanding absolute perfection. The match engine is vastly improved. There are tons of new animations, goalkeeprs are better than ever and attacking movement is generally much better. I recall a member of SI coming on here one day and talking about the match engine. The code, apparently, is massive and it takes much experience for members of the team to be able to work with it. It's not just a case of twidling a dial up and everything works better.

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

Are you suggesting that the small subset of FM players who contribute here is representative of the whole?

I personally think way too many people come on here demanding absolute perfection. The match engine is vastly improved. There are tons of new animations, goalkeeprs are better than ever and attacking movement is generally much better. I recall a member of SI coming on here one day and talking about the match engine. The code, apparently, is massive and it takes much experience for members of the team to be able to work with it. It's not just a case of twidling a dial up and everything works better.

I don't think that people on these forums seek perfection, but they also don't want to see an ME that appears to be going backwards.  IMO the match engine up to FM17 was the closest  to perfection that I have seen.  I believe the tactics overhaul in FM19 and which probably was being prepared for in FM18, could have caused the unbalanced ME we have at the moment.  It was more of a giant leap rather than a small step, and perhaps it was a leap too far

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I don't think that people on these forums seek perfection, but they also don't want to see an ME that appears to be going backwards.  IMO the match engine up to FM17 was the closest  to perfection that I have seen.  I believe the tactics overhaul in FM19 and which probably was being prepared for in FM18, could have caused the unbalanced ME we have at the moment.  It was more of a giant leap rather than a small step, and perhaps it was a leap too far

I think it is harsh to suggest the match engine has gone backwards. I personally don't recall much about FM17. As I said in another thread it's all about the current version for me. What exactly is unbalanced about the match engine?

If you mean the balls over the top issue then you need to work on your tactic. There may be some tweaking needed, but in no way is it as bad as many have suggested. FMers are inclined to go very attacking in game. Tactics need to be balanced, but people go all out and leave space behind that teams are obviously good at utilising in FM. If SI think there's a problem, and have said so, then I won't argue with it. I just know that I don't really see it because I try to keep things balanced (or, at least, I don't really feel negatively affected by it because I adapt to teams doing it). I'm no tactical expert. It's all about knowing what the opposition will do.

I'm going to have to load up FM17 at some point and see why it is hailed as so bloody good.

Edited by anagain