[Logos] Request for information on the @2x function

Kinmar

20 hours ago, Kinmar said:

Thank you for the answer. if the resolution is very high like 4K etc, only the zoom uses the @2x?

High screen resolution enables the use of high in-game zoom. The zoom level decides which logos are displayed (regular or @2x). In FM19 and earlier 125% zoom was the threshold for the @2x size. For some reason in FM20 the @2x size is shown already at 100% zoom (the regular size is displayed at lower levels). I don't know if this threshold change is a bug or not, but I have reported it as such. It certainly has negatively effected the functionality of my logopack DVX Logos.

Thanks Ducc for the reply.

I am going to test with two different logos, one in @2x, the second in normal but with the same ID to make tests.

What was the downside for DVX?
I want to develop this for the TCM21 (at least all the "small" @2x, and those that I can normally compared to the size of basic logos that I find. But to avoid too large a file size, I would suggest the @2X separately and I would like to be able to explain when these logos are used so that users can know whether they need them or not.

Was there no response to the possible bug?

57 minutes ago, Kinmar said:

Thanks Ducc for the reply.

I am going to test with two different logos, one in @2x, the second in normal but with the same ID to make tests.

What was the downside for DVX?

Within the out of the box game SI have @2x sizes of the small logos only. The DVX pack contains @2x versions of the larger logos as well. A non standard practice that has worked fine before, but which at the moment causes a problem. An image that was before displayed at 125% is now squeezed into a smaller space at 100% zoom. For whatever reason, the game is quite poor at scaling images, and cramming a too large image into a small space causes it to look jagged. So the larger logos at 100 - 110% in-game zoom will look bad (on some screens), unless their @2x versions are disabled within the logopack.

57 minutes ago, Kinmar said:

I want to develop this for the TCM21 (at least all the "small" @2x, and those that I can normally compared to the size of basic logos that I find. But to avoid too large a file size, I would suggest the @2X separately and I would like to be able to explain when these logos are used so that users can know whether they need them or not.

Was there no response to the possible bug?

The need for small @2x logos arises when the size of the displayed image within the game exceeds the size of the standard small logo. SI standard small size is 25x18px, and at some zoom level the space taken by a small logo will be larger than that. Maybe at 125%? I have not checked in a while.

The response to the bug report was that they were looking into it.

10 minutes ago, Kinmar said:

After my test, in fact, the @2x is used at 100% zoom and I see the concern, the quality of the logo is not really what is expected. Here is the comparison: on the left, the "normal" logo and on the right the @2x Picture Link

Indeed. SI only uses small @2x images, but on higher zooms the bigger logos should also be larger than the base standard.

I know that I have used the @2x images for the small logos on a MacBook that has retina display before so a higher resolution. The advantage for this comes as the normal small logos look blurry on a higher resolution display so there is a need for these to be included for small logos.

I have never tried the @2x images for normal size logos before so I am unsure what effect this does have.

If you are developing TCM21 for higher resolutions then I would at a minimum include the @2x images for just the small logos. If you manage to text the @2x images for the normal logos and can get them displaying correctly then I would include them for both. If you can't then just include them for small logos. 

Here is the small @2x test (Picture). I used the zoom at 100% with a resolution of 1920x1080.
The difference is minimal but present and I think that with MAC resolutions or higher resolutions, the result must be positive.
I will therefore prioritize the addition of these logos (which are doable with all the logos of the pack) for the TCM21. For "normal @2x", I will work on it too but will only propose it if this is corrected for FM21.

• 8 months later...
On 28/02/2020 at 18:04, Kinmar said:

Here is the small @2x test (Picture). I used the zoom at 100% with a resolution of 1920x1080.
The difference is minimal but present and I think that with MAC resolutions or higher resolutions, the result must be positive.
I will therefore prioritize the addition of these logos (which are doable with all the logos of the pack) for the TCM21. For "normal @2x", I will work on it too but will only propose it if this is corrected for FM21.

Did you manage to get the @2x small logos included in the TCM21 megapack? I have just downloaded the megapack and it doesn't look like they are. I am currently going through the megapack and converting the normal sized logos to the @2x small size (this is usually double the size of the default small size). If you want I can send over the megapack again with all the small @2x logos included.

Hi. Indeed it is something that I will propose, but I had not had time to do it. I did some tests last night and will start converting all the files.
This should be available as a separate download in the coming days / weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Alexpuk2002
Yes during the next logo update (next month or in March depending on the time I find to devote to the logos), a separate pack will be offered with the @2x small (the TCM21 pack has already been converted to this size but I would propose all the additions and updates of Update 21.1).