FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

2 hours ago, Nick OGS20 said:

Hi all. Current laptop appears to be about to give up the ghost due to wear and tear - was wanting to get a replacement later in the year anyway as it won't be able to handle FM25, but now looks like I'll have to decide on a replacement before we know the FM25 specs annoyingly. Current laptop is an Acer and has been the best laptop I've ever owned by a mile so been looking at Acers (but not totally wedded to going down that route) - anyone able to say whether they think this one looks good from a 'will run FM25 very well' perspective (know we can't guarantee anything given we don't have the specs yet, but making some educated guesses)?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-an517-55-intel-core-i7-16gb-1tb-rtx-4060-144hz-fhd-17.3-inch-w-nh.qlfek.002/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=21429736943&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uK0BhC0ARIsANQtgGMEKUAsyzdecvF8ewr0udwYTzGgfFXTmgIhXrOyU-FY8q_pcxs25RYaAp2oEALw_wcB

That's probably about the limits of my budget (maybe another £100 on top at a push) if there's anything better around in that bracket.

Edit: Maybe this as a non-Acer alternative - have heard/read good things about MSI laptops - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Katana-17-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0BSXQ9RPS

I've used this laptop personally on a time-share for some work i was doing and honestly i found it terrible with FM (alhtough with an rtx 3060 but same specs all round). On the surface the specs look amazing but i just couldn't get the thing to run smoothly; particularly when using it with an external display. While running FM i always felt the fans were a bit too loud and it always felt a bit buggy. Maybe i just had a defective machine but i never quite felt satisfied over the ~75 hours i spent on it. A lot of folks on the internet do recommend it though.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

Honest question, what makes a computer really standout to you? I'm quite taken aback that you've run into so many issues with a machine thats often been tagged as "powerful", i've always told myself that getting an m-series macbook would solve all the problems i currently face on my current machine.

I'm only just srarting to "get into" computers so i'd appreciate if you could open my eyes a bit here. Thanks

Sadly the way of our world now is, everyone will lie to you. Even our polititions will say something knowing you'll take it as one thing but they'll be able to say later they meant something else. And everything is overstated for effect. In the 1990s this was could "spin". The term Powerful is spin means nothing. Could be a 2010 i3 that got the power to write notes or able to play UT videos. The details you need are first in look and feel and if that's not posible the reviews and secondly the spec sheet - not the product details at the retailer - the specifcation sheet issued by the manufaturer for that exact model number. Then you compare and learn while trying to hold off you eagerness to buy.

It helps to look at computers from a manufaturer's point of view. The best interests are not allways servered by designing the most powerful or the best value. The best option we have to determine if a make is good for not so good is build qiality. That's because all manuafuteres have to give a warretee by law so their starting point is "will this last the warrentee. So that's where all buyers should start.

Next perhaps the business can be seperated by design quality - Some manuafurures like DELL & Apple sell on the look so this would be high on their design path.

From this point we get into value for money, features and specilaty use. When buying a laptop these are the manuafatureres that offer the most value in terms of usage but remember you scarfice some build and perhaps your laptop won't look a sleek as you might like.

For me, having used most brands I now for for build quality over everything, I want something to last. But I also need it to do the job and I don't want a house brick sitting on my laptop. Hinges are the most important here as thats where Laptops tend to suffer most. Then it's the keyboard layout - it's a personal pereference but I like seperate mouse pad button and I like them to click. 

Once I've got a list of modals that fit those need it's down to the goodies - What you can afford under the hood so to speak. 1. Dedicated graphics. 2. Processing power. 3. Screen quality. The rest I can live with - can always upgraid ram, HD etc.

The brands that fall in to my own needs are MSI, HP & Asus.    

12 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

I've used this laptop personally on a time-share for some work i was doing and honestly i found it terrible with FM (alhtough with an rtx 3060 but same specs all round). On the surface the specs look amazing but i just couldn't get the thing to run smoothly; particularly when using it with an external display. While running FM i always felt the fans were a bit too loud and it always felt a bit buggy. Maybe i just had a defective machine but i never quite felt satisfied over the ~75 hours i spent on it. A lot of folks on the internet do recommend it though.

Is that the Acer or the MSI one?

I currently have a Dell p75f.  What I don't like about it is the weight and battery life.  I can only play FM for about an hour before the battery is running low.  I want to get a new gaming laptop that will mostly be used for FM.  My preference is to wait to buy the laptop until FM25 comes out.  My requirements are for the laptop to be lighter and have a good battery life.  I would like it to charge with usb-c if possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions about what to look for?  My budget is probably about $1000, but I can push it higher for the right device.

Can anyone vouch for Dells, generally, aswell as for FM?

I am currently looking at (and linked it above) the Dell Inspiron 16 plus 7640 which is there most recent model. Ultra i7 chipset, 16GB RAM, Dedicated graphics card. All on paper, sounds fantastic and at just under 1k.

I would have brought it if not for the reviews, more Reddit stuff. Most of the official review places all say it is a winner, but on the two YouTube vids I have watched and pretty much everywhere they all claim the same thing - fantastic performance but the fan is like an airplane taking off, even doing light tasks and the heat it generates is enough to make the mice/keyboard unusable.

It has just really put me off which is such a shame. But if someone has that model or any Inspiron and can reassure me, I might give it a go. Can always return it I guess. But to my surprise Dell laptops, the consensus is almost specifically the Inspiron range, have an awful reputation, are of poor build quality and last 2-3 years. Not something I want from a device costing nearon 1k.

It then makes me think, can I trust any laptops durablity these days ?!

1 hour ago, shaunwwfc said:

I am currently looking at (and linked it above) the Dell Inspiron 16 plus 7640 which is there most recent model. Ultra i7 chipset, 16GB RAM, Dedicated graphics card. All on paper, sounds fantastic and at just under 1k.

I would have brought it if not for the reviews, more Reddit stuff. Most of the official review places all say it is a winner, but on the two YouTube vids I have watched and pretty much everywhere they all claim the same thing - fantastic performance but the fan is like an airplane taking off, even doing light tasks and the heat it generates is enough to make the mice/keyboard unusable.

It has just really put me off which is such a shame. But if someone has that model or any Inspiron and can reassure me, I might give it a go. Can always return it I guess. But to my surprise Dell laptops, the consensus is almost specifically the Inspiron range, have an awful reputation, are of poor build quality and last 2-3 years. Not something I want from a device costing nearon 1k.

Dell is a perfectly fine brand, but as with any PC brand they have made and will make some potatoes. Before buying a laptop it's a good idea to check reviews for that specific model first.

I agree. From the reviews, it looks as though this might be one of those potatoes unfortunately, I really wanted to buy it before seeing the reviews.

Thing is, the negative seems to be it gets noisy and toasty when gaming - is this something I should really expect from most laptops when gaming? Am I aiming for too much hoping a laptop stays silent/cool when running FM?

Edited by shaunwwfc

5 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

My experience with Dells is mixed. I bought 1000s of the when swopped from compaq but when I partner wanted a powerfull laptop we bought an XPS and to use it was great but in the 2 years after the warrentee we switched out 3 adaptors, 2 switch cables inside, 2 batteries and finally the hinges broke. I bought 2 more XPS laptops just to keep that going. Oddly enough during this her XPS she got from work had to have the MB replaced too. Leaves me thinking their business machines are given better attention than their retail machines. The issues were just so difficult to track down too. But the are worse then DELL, don't want to put you off. 

For high end gaming I've always liked these but never had the reason to buy one - https://www.xmg.gg/en/gaming-laptops/

Edited by Delicate Dave

54 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

My experience with Dells is mixed. I bought 1000s of the when swopped from compaq but when I partner wanted a powerfull laptop we bought an XPS and to use it was great but in the 2 years after the warrentee we switched out 3 adaptors, 2 switch cables inside, 2 batteries and finally the hinges broke. I bought 2 more XPS laptops just to keep that going. Oddly enough during this her XPS she got from work had to have the MB replaced too. Leaves me thinking their business machines are given better attention than their retail machines. The issues were just so difficult to track down too. But the are worse then DELL, don't want to put you off. 

For high end gaming I've always liked these but never had the reason to buy one - https://www.xmg.gg/en/gaming-laptops/

Thanks mate. I think what you've said basically reflects what I've read/watched online. Particular the point between business/retail.

It's a shame, because the machine I'm looking at (will link below) on paper, spec, even design, looks fantastic. I just don't think I can trust it now, has to be a point when I take notice to the bad reviews/feedback.

Deal: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus 7640 16.3" 16:10 2.5K Laptop, Intel Evo Edition - Intel Core Ultra 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Graphics, Windows 11 Home, Fingerprint Reader, UK Keyboard https://amzn.eu/d/02jouf5z

45 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Thanks mate. I think what you've said basically reflects what I've read/watched online. Particular the point between business/retail.

It's a shame, because the machine I'm looking at (will link below) on paper, spec, even design, looks fantastic. I just don't think I can trust it now, has to be a point when I take notice to the bad reviews/feedback.

Deal: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus 7640 16.3" 16:10 2.5K Laptop, Intel Evo Edition - Intel Core Ultra 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Graphics, Windows 11 Home, Fingerprint Reader, UK Keyboard https://amzn.eu/d/02jouf5z

Well now you have had confirmation from a Baggie so you know it's true :-) Yea I think with these Laptops Dell are looking to feed off the kind of thing Apple have for the last ten years. 

2 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

Well now you have had confirmation from a Baggie so you know it's true :-) Yea I think with these Laptops Dell are looking to feed off the kind of thing Apple have for the last ten years. 

Thanks bud :D

On 18/07/2024 at 22:25, Nick OGS20 said:

Hi all. Current laptop appears to be about to give up the ghost due to wear and tear - was wanting to get a replacement later in the year anyway as it won't be able to handle FM25, but now looks like I'll have to decide on a replacement before we know the FM25 specs annoyingly. Current laptop is an Acer and has been the best laptop I've ever owned by a mile so been looking at Acers (but not totally wedded to going down that route) - anyone able to say whether they think this one looks good from a 'will run FM25 very well' perspective (know we can't guarantee anything given we don't have the specs yet, but making some educated guesses)?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-an517-55-intel-core-i7-16gb-1tb-rtx-4060-144hz-fhd-17.3-inch-w-nh.qlfek.002/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=21429736943&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uK0BhC0ARIsANQtgGMEKUAsyzdecvF8ewr0udwYTzGgfFXTmgIhXrOyU-FY8q_pcxs25RYaAp2oEALw_wcB

That's probably about the limits of my budget (maybe another £100 on top at a push) if there's anything better around in that bracket.

Edit: Maybe this as a non-Acer alternative - have heard/read good things about MSI laptops - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Katana-17-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0BSXQ9RPS

Leaning towards this one now - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-b13v-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10254228.html

Any red flags with that one I should be aware of? And is that one I'd be able to easily add some more RAM to at some point?

2 hours ago, Sport Lacost said:

Excellect processor, excellent make, excelect screen. Will make you macbook seem like a 1980s calulater. BUT ! what I don't understand is why John Lewis is selling this £500 less than than manufacturer. JL only say it's i5 but the part number says it's Ultra 5 125H. Make sure before you buy it that's the processor.

Edited by Delicate Dave
Spelling as always.

1 hour ago, Nick OGS20 said:

Leaning towards this one now - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-b13v-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10254228.html

Any red flags with that one I should be aware of? And is that one I'd be able to easily add some more RAM to at some point?

MSI, model has been around a while, if the price is right it's decent.

On 19/07/2024 at 00:37, NoirChrist said:

Honest question, what makes a computer really standout to you? I'm quite taken aback that you've run into so many issues with a machine thats often been tagged as "powerful", i've always told myself that getting an m-series macbook would solve all the problems i currently face on my current machine.

I'm only just srarting to "get into" computers so i'd appreciate if you could open my eyes a bit here. Thanks

Ehhh

I wouldn't expect as many issues spending over 2k or even my case 3k.

In my opinion not worth it.

On 18/07/2024 at 22:25, Nick OGS20 said:

Decent spec for the price.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't good enough for FM25.

On 19/07/2024 at 04:49, Delicate Dave said:

Sadly the way of our world now is, everyone will lie to you. Even our polititions will say something knowing you'll take it as one thing but they'll be able to say later they meant something else. And everything is overstated for effect. In the 1990s this was could "spin". The term Powerful is spin means nothing. Could be a 2010 i3 that got the power to write notes or able to play UT videos. The details you need are first in look and feel and if that's not posible the reviews and secondly the spec sheet - not the product details at the retailer - the specifcation sheet issued by the manufaturer for that exact model number. Then you compare and learn while trying to hold off you eagerness to buy.

It helps to look at computers from a manufaturer's point of view. The best interests are not allways servered by designing the most powerful or the best value. The best option we have to determine if a make is good for not so good is build qiality. That's because all manuafuteres have to give a warretee by law so their starting point is "will this last the warrentee. So that's where all buyers should start.

Next perhaps the business can be seperated by design quality - Some manuafurures like DELL & Apple sell on the look so this would be high on their design path.

From this point we get into value for money, features and specilaty use. When buying a laptop these are the manuafatureres that offer the most value in terms of usage but remember you scarfice some build and perhaps your laptop won't look a sleek as you might like.

For me, having used most brands I now for for build quality over everything, I want something to last. But I also need it to do the job and I don't want a house brick sitting on my laptop. Hinges are the most important here as thats where Laptops tend to suffer most. Then it's the keyboard layout - it's a personal pereference but I like seperate mouse pad button and I like them to click. 

Once I've got a list of modals that fit those need it's down to the goodies - What you can afford under the hood so to speak. 1. Dedicated graphics. 2. Processing power. 3. Screen quality. The rest I can live with - can always upgraid ram, HD etc.

The brands that fall in to my own needs are MSI, HP & Asus.    

Appreciate the reply, will use the main ideas in this as a rubric going forward. Cheers

Hello Guys, does anyone playing Fm24 or played previous editions with a mini pc desktop? I would like to know if is worth it and if it can be compared with a normal pc desktop. I was googling and i found this model, what do you guys think? Budget up 900£.

MINISFORUM Mini PC UM690S AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX AMD Radeon 680M 32GB RAM 1TB PCIe SSD, 2 x HDMI ports, 1x USB4 port, 1 x USB type-C, 4 x USB 3.2 type A, Wifi6, Bluetooth5.2 : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

7 hours ago, dOmNAPL said:

Hello Guys, does anyone playing Fm24 or played previous editions with a mini pc desktop? I would like to know if is worth it and if it can be compared with a normal pc desktop. I was googling and i found this model, what do you guys think? Budget up 900£.

MINISFORUM Mini PC UM690S AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX AMD Radeon 680M 32GB RAM 1TB PCIe SSD, 2 x HDMI ports, 1x USB4 port, 1 x USB type-C, 4 x USB 3.2 type A, Wifi6, Bluetooth5.2 : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Playing FM on a mini PC would be fine. The one you linked to is impressive and should handle FM24. 

Upsides
Strong processor for FM 
Lots of RAM
Good amount of storage
4 USB ports for mouse/keyboard etc
USB4 and USBC for connections like phone/monitors/other modern USB devices - fast connection and data transfer
2 HDMI ports for multiple monitors
Good integrated graphics so you'll probably have to reduce the in game match details if you play 3d matches

Portability is easier than a traditional desktop.
Very good price.

Downsides
Integrated graphics card (although fine for FM) a dedicated would be better for other games
Harder (if impossible) to upgrade components compared to a traditional desktop

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Playing FM on a mini PC would be fine. The one you linked to is impressive and should handle FM24. 

Upsides
Strong processor for FM 
Lots of RAM
Good amount of storage
4 USB ports for mouse/keyboard etc
USB4 and USBC for connections like phone/monitors/other modern USB devices - fast connection and data transfer
2 HDMI ports for multiple monitors
Good integrated graphics so you'll probably have to reduce the in game match details if you play 3d matches

Portability is easier than a traditional desktop.
Very good price.

Downsides
Integrated graphics card (although fine for FM) a dedicated would be better for other games
Harder (if impossible) to upgrade components compared to a traditional desktop

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Appreciated, scrolling on Amazon i found a second one slightly more expensive, what do you think? Asking because i would like to invest for a long term, plus i play in 2d, what are your thoughts, keep looking on amazon or rely on pcspecialist and build one from scratch following the needs?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQ4LNXVC?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GK97DGWRXMFRSKTVBNYQ&language=en-GB&th=1&psc=1

14 minutes ago, dOmNAPL said:

Appreciated, scrolling on Amazon i found a second one slightly more expensive, what do you think? Asking because i would like to invest for a long term, plus i play in 2d, what are your thoughts, keep looking on amazon or rely on pcspecialist and build one from scratch following the needs?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQ4LNXVC?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GK97DGWRXMFRSKTVBNYQ&language=en-GB&th=1&psc=1

Same specs as the previous except with more RAM.

For FM 16gb RAM should be plenty - your previous one has 32gb RAM which way more than enough.

This one has 64gb RAM which is way overkill. 

So what's the actual budget?

23 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Same specs as the previous except with more RAM.

For FM 16gb RAM should be plenty - your previous one has 32gb RAM which way more than enough.

This one has 64gb RAM which is way overkill. 

So what's the actual budget?

900£

2 minutes ago, filip_croatia said:

Will 8 gb ram will be enough for FM 25 ? I also have integrated radeon graphics with 2 gb ram....

Generally your machine will run much better with 16gb of ram. For the price it's the best upgrade you can do. The graphics is something you can cope with because even with 1gb you can reduce the setting in FM and still get it to produce decent results. Remember it's only the playing of the matches that benefits from the graphics ram. Where you will see result for adding Ram is the data processing between games.

Of course all that depends on the ram being available to be used. So things that start-up with your computer or are running during the playing of FM all have an affect.

1 hour ago, filip_croatia said:

Will 8 gb ram will be enough for FM 25 ? I also have integrated radeon graphics with 2 gb ram....

Probably, but until SI release the system requirements we can't say for sure.

Hello again everyone,

I appreciate all the help in my previous posts but I am still trying to decide on a laptop. 

I would be very thankful for people's choice between the following:

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-pro-5i-laptop-16in-25knbspintel-core-i7-geforce-rtx-3050nbsp16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-grey/1600919607.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-loq-gaming-laptop-156in-fhd-144hz-nvidia-rtx-4060-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd/1600989728.prd

I appreciate one is gaming laptop and one isn't however considering I am only going to play FM (possibly dabble in some lighter older games AOE etc) then I thought maybe the 4060 was a bit overkill?

The first linked one has a better screen (which I like personally) and still has a dedicated graphics card for gaming.

I have also seen a couple of Asus Zenbook/Vivobooks on there but while the processors look comparatively good to the above, no dedicated GPU makes me question longevity even for FM. Pro essors in those were the Ryzen 7 8845HS and the Ryzen 7 8945hs.

Any opinions appreciated and I do promise this will be my last post and I will be buying tonight/tomorrow with very discount codes and a further 20%.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

Hello again everyone,

I appreciate all the help in my previous posts but I am still trying to decide on a laptop. 

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-pro-5i-laptop-16in-25knbspintel-core-i7-geforce-rtx-3050nbsp16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-grey/1600919607.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-loq-gaming-laptop-156in-fhd-144hz-nvidia-rtx-4060-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd/1600989728.prd

I appreciate one is gaming laptop and one isn't however considering I am only going to play FM (possibly dabble in some lighter older games AOE etc) then I thought maybe the 4060 was a bit overkill?

The first linked one has a better screen (which I like personally) and still has a dedicated graphics card for gaming.

I have also seen a couple of Asus Zenbook/Vivobooks on there but while the processors look comparatively good to the above, no dedicated GPU makes me question longevity even for FM. Pro essors in those were the Ryzen 7 8845HS and the Ryzen 7 8945hs.

Any opinions appreciated and I do promise this will be my last post and I will be buying tonight/tomorrow with very discount codes and a further 20%.

It's a hard call to be fair.  Both can still be considered gaming laptops, they both have dedicated graphics cards.

Option one has a marginally better CPU (very little in it) but a less capable graphics card, and a higher resolution display.

I would assume the 3050 would still be fine for FM once FM25 is out, but with all these things that is still guesswork until SI give us actual system requirements.

From the standpoint of FM24, both are over and above what you would need.

Edited by kevhamster

1 hour ago, tcoleman1 said:

Hello again everyone,

2nd one for me
Better processor for FM

Better graphcis card

36 minutes ago, Smurf said:

2nd one for me
Better processor for FM

Better graphcis card

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

It's a hard call to be fair.  Both can still be considered gaming laptops, they both have dedicated graphics cards.

Option one has a marginally better CPU (very little in it) but a less capable graphics card, and a higher resolution display.

I would assume the 3050 would still be fine for FM once FM25 is out, but with all these things that is still guesswork until SI give us actual system requirements.

From the standpoint of FM24, both are over and above what you would need.

Thank you both. I will have a think of the next couple of days 

Doing a bit of research I have seen a log on reddit about the i7-13650hx particularly in the LOQ having a lot of issues with the motherboard dying. Will probably do a big more digging into that to see how big a problem is has been.

At least I've narrowed it down to two now though, so thank you!

On 24/07/2024 at 12:14, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you both. I will have a think of the next couple of days 

Doing a bit of research I have seen a log on reddit about the i7-13650hx particularly in the LOQ having a lot of issues with the motherboard dying. Will probably do a big more digging into that to see how big a problem is has been.

At least I've narrowed it down to two now though, so thank you!

There has been quite a lot of coverage recently in the tech press about numerous 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs failing due to an error in their microcode feeding the CPU with too much voltage. For the moment I'd personally avoid Intel CPUs from these generations. AMD equivalents are Ryzen 7000 and 8000 CPUs, which in many categories are superior to the equivalent Intel processors in any case. Both manufacturers are bringing out their new generations soon, so it may even be worth waiting to see what value they offer. 

19 hours ago, Gangor said:

There has been quite a lot of coverage recently in the tech press about numerous 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs failing due to an error in their microcode feeding the CPU with too much voltage. For the moment I'd personally avoid Intel CPUs from these generations. AMD equivalents are Ryzen 7000 and 8000 CPUs, which in many categories are superior to the equivalent Intel processors in any case. Both manufacturers are bringing out their new generations soon, so it may even be worth waiting to see what value they offer. 

Thank you for this. I have read quite a bit about the intel chips on reddit and it does seem somewhat pot luck whether you get or good or bad one.

I have been doing some fiddling on the Lenovo website and have managed to create a LOQ that I may be able to get down to a similar price as the other one with a Ryzen 7 8845hs which doesn't benchmark too much lower than the intel one. 

Another question for people slightly more tech-savvy than myself. Is there any benefit of having 1x16gb of RAM in one slot compared to 2x8gb in 2 slots?

When configuring the laptop you can have a GTX 4050 if you have the 16gb (and save another £70) but if you select 2x8gb you have to have the 4060. I know obviously the better graphics cards is preferable but I'd imagine a 4050 will be enough for FM25 judging buu what I have read in this thread!

1 hour ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you for this. I have read quite a bit about the intel chips on reddit and it does seem somewhat pot luck whether you get or good or bad one.

I have been doing some fiddling on the Lenovo website and have managed to create a LOQ that I may be able to get down to a similar price as the other one with a Ryzen 7 8845hs which doesn't benchmark too much lower than the intel one. 

Another question for people slightly more tech-savvy than myself. Is there any benefit of having 1x16gb of RAM in one slot compared to 2x8gb in 2 slots?

When configuring the laptop you can have a GTX 4050 if you have the 16gb (and save another £70) but if you select 2x8gb you have to have the 4060. I know obviously the better graphics cards is preferable but I'd imagine a 4050 will be enough for FM25 judging buu what I have read in this thread!

Buy the 16gb ram stick  or you'll waste money when you want to upgrade.

Can you have no ram and buy your own at a cheaper price? I know when I price up these things I leave out SSD, HD, ram and OS as I can get all of them cheaper often not always but if you have an existing windows machine you can transfer the OS and save what? £40 there just other options for ya.

52 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Buy the 16gb ram stick  or you'll waste money when you want to upgrade.

Can you have no ram and buy your own at a cheaper price? I know when I price up these things I leave out SSD, HD, ram and OS as I can get all of them cheaper often not always but if you have an existing windows machine you can transfer the OS and save what? £40 there just other options for ya.

I've already knocked off the OS in the one I mocked up to compare and that saved £90 which is crazy.

Will there be no loss to performance only having one slot of RAM with 16gb instead of 2x8, as it can't run dual channel?

Or is the difference negligible if I'm only really playing FM and doing some light tasks while it's open?

15 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

I've already knocked off the OS in the one I mocked up to compare and that saved £90 which is crazy.

Will there be no loss to performance only having one slot of RAM with 16gb instead of 2x8, as it can't run dual channel?

Or is the difference negligible if I'm only really playing FM and doing some light tasks while it's open?

Ok, so this is in fact a very big question. And with not having details of how the Laptop is designed it's hard to answer accept - any effect if any will be unnoticed.
Inside any computer the is lag while parts wait for other parts. The main work is done inside the processors and the ram is only used as storage and only accessed with the processor is ready for it. If you are getting down to this detail in choosing a Laptop you have gone way to far. These types of calculations I used to do for laboratory work but even then it was only a ticking off process. No manufacture since the 1990s would produce a computer with lag that was noticeable.

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

Ok, so this is in fact a very big question. And with not having details of how the Laptop is designed it's hard to answer accept - any effect if any will be unnoticed.
Inside any computer the is lag while parts wait for other parts. The main work is done inside the processors and the ram is only used as storage and only accessed with the processor is ready for it. If you are getting down to this detail in choosing a Laptop you have gone way to far. These types of calculations I used to do for laboratory work but even then it was only a ticking off process. No manufacture since the 1990s would produce a computer with lag that was noticeable.

Thank you for that, as you can probably imagine from the multiple posts I am an overthinker.

With all that in mind I just need to decide whether I want to pay the extra 60 to upgrade from 4050 to 4060 and then order!

18 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

Only issue with 1 stick vs 2 sticks is if you only have 1 X 16gb of ram and it goes faulty the computer won't work til you replace it.

If you have 2 X 8gb and I ram stick is faulty you can still use the computer with 1x8gb 

It's been about 20 years since I've seen faulty ram.

Not saying it doesn't happen.

The risk is minimal.

51 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Only issue with 1 stick vs 2 sticks is if you only have 1 X 16gb of ram and it goes faulty the computer won't work til you replace it.

If you have 2 X 8gb and I ram stick is faulty you can still use the computer with 1x8gb 

It's been about 20 years since I've seen faulty ram.

Not saying it doesn't happen.

The risk is minimal.

Yeah that was the only other thing that did come to mind but I've opted for a 3 year warranty either way and as you said likelihood is relatively low!

3 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you for that, as you can probably imagine from the multiple posts I am an overthinker.

With all that in mind I just need to decide whether I want to pay the extra 60 to upgrade from 4050 to 4060 and then order!

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4050-Laptop-vs-Nvidia-RTX-4060-Laptop/m2015629vsm2040979

49 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Thank you, I was having a look at that earlier. Obviously don't have the minimum specs for FM25 yet but I'm hoping the 4050 will be more than enough for the next few versions so might save the £60 as I won't ever be playing AAA titles on it to be honest!

8 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you, I was having a look at that earlier. Obviously don't have the minimum specs for FM25 yet but I'm hoping the 4050 will be more than enough for the next few versions so might save the £60 as I won't ever be playing AAA titles on it to be honest!

I would be amazed if SI moves FM up the path too much. Anyway your "problem" is only graphics. SI have make sure FM25 and on can processes data on consoles for 12 years old who don't have much patience :-)

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp10-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260962.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260964.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260989.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp10-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260963.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260965.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260999.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i3-black-10260966.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i3-black-10261000.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-n-adl-s-mini-desktop-pc-intel-n100-128-gb-ssd-black-10265750.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-n-adl-barebones-mini-desktop-pc-intel-n100-black-10260961.html

Hello again guys, still looking around for a mini pc desktop, sorry about the tons of link i'm sharing (don't know if there is a limit). Basically today i was on currys, as i'm based in London, problem is, as i see in the specs section lot of them doesn't have RAM and OP installed, and thing is i'm not that "handy" to do by myself, as i getting scared if i have to open the case and all of sudden the machine will stop working 😥 Any suggestion about what model should i looking on, so i will keep looking around on something with the same or almost equal specs, budget up 900£. Plus as i asked last time, is it worth it,in case, make one from scratch using pcspecialist, it will be more convenient price/performance or not?

19 minutes ago, dOmNAPL said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp10-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260962.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260964.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-black-10260989.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp10-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260963.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260965.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-black-10260999.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-pro-dp21-13m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i3-black-10260966.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-5-12m-barebone-mini-desktop-pc-intel-core-i3-black-10261000.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-n-adl-s-mini-desktop-pc-intel-n100-128-gb-ssd-black-10265750.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cubi-n-adl-barebones-mini-desktop-pc-intel-n100-black-10260961.html

Hello again guys, still looking around for a mini pc desktop, sorry about the tons of link i'm sharing (don't know if there is a limit). Basically today i was on currys, as i'm based in London, problem is, as i see in the specs section lot of them doesn't have RAM and OP installed, and thing is i'm not that "handy" to do by myself, as i getting scared if i have to open the case and all of sudden the machine will stop working 😥 Any suggestion about what model should i looking on, so i will keep looking around on something with the same or almost equal specs, budget up 900£. Plus as i asked last time, is it worth it,in case, make one from scratch using pcspecialist, it will be more convenient price/performance or not?

If you can open a box of chocolates and pick out a chocolate then you can open a computer case and push some ram in a slat and anyone can install an OS. Neither of those are harder than getting a sim card in a new phone :-)

53 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

If you can open a box of chocolates and pick out a chocolate then you can open a computer case and push some ram in a slat and anyone can install an OS. Neither of those are harder than getting a sim card in a new phone :-)

🤣

16 hours ago, dOmNAPL said:

This is the better one in terms of processor

There's no Storage, RAM or OS. 
So all has to be installed.

But Currys have an IT department and could put them all in for you.

It's not hard to put RAM into the computer - it's all relatively plug and play - generally just push it in and close the clips. 

But it' about knowing which type of RAM to get for that motherboard - as there's different types.

Anyway - if you got a barebones are not confident yourself you could find a local IT computer fixer person that would install them for you and pick the right parts suited.

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

This is the better one in terms of processor

There's no Storage, RAM or OS. 
So all has to be installed.

But Currys have an IT department and could put them all in for you.

It's not hard to put RAM into the computer - it's all relatively plug and play - generally just push it in and close the clips. 

But it' about knowing which type of RAM to get for that motherboard - as there's different types.

Anyway - if you got a barebones are not confident yourself you could find a local IT computer fixer person that would install them for you and pick the right parts suited.

Does Currys IT department offer the service through the website during the checkout? Or you can choose to go in one of the branches?