FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

1 minute ago, Uncle Adi said:

This seems like a more appropriate thread to ask this in, so apologies to the mods for the double post.

Is there a way to change the system power/display settings within FM23?

My laptop overheats during matches if it's plugged in but doesn't if it's just on battery.

I've tried all of the settings I can find in the laptop itself but that hasn't worked.

I think that would depend on the type of laptop you have. If it's just happening with FM and if it just started happening.

Because we need to know if you have a dedicated graphics card, if so remove all the drivers for it, reboot and run FM. The are a lot of settings in FM and I don't know where and what they are off the top of my head but I think it adjusts to what is available by default. I run it turning of all the crowd and visual effects.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Uncle Adi said:

This seems like a more appropriate thread to ask this in, so apologies to the mods for the double post.

Is there a way to change the system power/display settings within FM23?

My laptop overheats during matches if it's plugged in but doesn't if it's just on battery.

I've tried all of the settings I can find in the laptop itself but that hasn't worked.

Search for "power settings" in the control panel. There should be settings for battery and plugged in - change the plugged in setting to something similar to battery. 

It may also be a good idea to check that fans are still spinning and aren't blocked by dust. 

11 hours ago, Smurf said:

It's not bad - but that Deal has no operating system, you'd have to buy the OS as an addon

I put together the spec here

There's a bit of difference in the processors - it might not look so different

Lenovo is the left - the HP Omen one is right (better) image.png.84f0dd9ada1d648ee4f8a8bcac76d739.png

Ultimately - it's up to you
The Lenovo has the larger storage which is beneficial

Although specific data for the Ryzen 7435HS and 7840HS is not present, you can infer potential performance based on the performance of similar CPUs.

AMD Ryzen 7 7435HS:
The Ryzen 7435HS is a mid-range laptop processor, likely to perform similarly to other Ryzen 7 models listed.
For example, the Ryzen 7 5800H showed respectable performance, with benchmark times being reasonably fast but not at the top tier.

AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS:
The Ryzen 7840HS is a more recent and higher-end processor, which should provide better performance than the 7435HS.
It should be closer in performance to higher-end CPUs like the Ryzen 9 series, given its higher base and boost clock speeds.

Core Count and Clock Speed:
CPUs with higher core counts and clock speeds perform better, as seen with Ryzen 9 and Intel i9 models.

Memory and Storage:
Systems with faster RAM and SSDs also show reduced benchmark times, highlighting the importance here.

Thank you for all of this and the suggestions on the other posts.

I've got a very good idea of a range of laptops for whatever my budget is. Just going to spend some time researching and reading what reviews are out there for them.

1 minute ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you for all of this and the suggestions on the other posts.

I've got a very good idea of a range of laptops for whatever my budget is. Just going to spend some time researching and reading what reviews are out there for them.

Just want to say, if you have a current laptop or PC with windows on you can tranfer the licence over for the OS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Display-Processor-GeForce/dp/B09HWYFGM1 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BSXPMFNF/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

So i found these laptops recommended on google , its on Amazon and im hoping the price will go down on prime day, any advice on buying one of these or something better a little cheaper please? Thanks in Advance

Edited by paulskln

38 minutes ago, paulskln said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BSXPMFNF/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

So i found these laptops recommended on google , its on Amazon and im hoping the price will go down on prime day, any advice on buying one of these or something better a little cheaper please? Thanks in Advance

I've never seen a bargain computer on Amazon, I'm 65 this year :-) Have a look on ebay, can't go wrong with the MSI at about half the amazon price but if you want to pay £1000 you can do mcuh better than those to imo - https://ebay.co.uk/itm/156274367642

12 hours ago, paulskln said:

One is 15 inch the other is 17 inch - does it matter to you?
Both are relatively the same - one has a 1tb Hard Drive the other has a smaller harddrive 512gb

THE MSI looks more promising it's slightly newer and has Windows 11 already (see screenshot below - MSI is 2nd one)

For an Amazon Pick I went a bit over your budget as you had 800 and 1000 picked - I figure on Prime Day you can get this for a good deal

Only draw back is I don't know the brand 'HoMei' - never heard of them - but that's a kickass laptop processor for that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HoMei-i9-13900H-5-40GHz-Dedicated-Graphics/dp/B0CRVHGD1H/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.aHy26b619A_8-UR6E3ldZw._B7eq-hHVoz8z-CCTiQX2NOduIk9HuHNf-5vV5bfTkU&dib_tag=se&qid=1720940079&refinements=p_36%3A80000-120000%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A21761440031|21761444031|8322531031%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A937175031%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A100140134031|100140136031|100140140031%2Cp_n_feature_thirty_browse-bin%3A66003145031&rnid=66003062031&s=computers&sr=1-1

For a better know brand this one is better than the two you have picked 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Gaming-144Hz-Laptop-FX707ZR-HX002W/dp/B0B7SH4DK9/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.uqTbGOvGYdySkc7xg9D4r4Pl_ufBGe7eohzyxBfAtoemIL6wLfxuvHAV-RhQj4BKXTZiBJy8dFKndhOivYQb6Lw7r26-kr8ZsZxv76lkbyQ.gGnuvSGYIzTCBvQucjxM393cyuRvy5VXLm2ozjLQpCs&dib_tag=se&qid=1720940139&refinements=p_36%3A80000-120000%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A21761440031|21761444031|8322531031%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A937175031%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A100140134031|100140136031|100140139031|100140140031%2Cp_n_feature_thirty_browse-bin%3A66003145031|66003168031&rnid=66003062031&s=computers&sr=1-2

And the right is the processor from the ASUS (12700H) and HoMei (13900H)

image.png.7f26377e0779a469d1414b9cc0c9484f.png

I've basically ruled out the Lenovo that'st he first in the screen shot

I've highlighted in the screen shot the Single Core Rating - which is where a lot of processing happens for FM.

But your choice is 2nd

So you have
your choice
MSI at 17 inch laptop
12450H
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Best Specs (unknown maker):

HoMei laptop (Unknown Chinese Brand)
17.3inch
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Better than your choice

ASUS
17inch
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

It's up to you
if you want to get cheaper
- then go for Lenovo for 800

The Asus is better than the MSI

And the HoMei is better than them all. 

16 hours ago, Gangor said:

Search for "power settings" in the control panel. There should be settings for battery and plugged in - change the plugged in setting to something similar to battery. 

It may also be a good idea to check that fans are still spinning and aren't blocked by dust. 

If you mean the windows power settings I've tried all that. Thanks anyway though.

20 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

I think that would depend on the type of laptop you have. If it's just happening with FM and if it just started happening.

Because we need to know if you have a dedicated graphics card, if so remove all the drivers for it, reboot and run FM. The are a lot of settings in FM and I don't know where and what they are off the top of my head but I think it adjusts to what is available by default. I run it turning of all the crowd and visual effects.

It's always done it on every version I've played: 14, 19, 22 & 23. In fact I ruined the original fan playing 14 & 19 and had to replace it!

A buddy talked me through doing all that with the drivers. I use MSI Afterburner which shows the temp & the fan starts rattling around 77° on power but on battery it will run at 60-65° which is fine.

I was  hoping there'd be in-game power vs battery settings but if not I'll try changing the crowd settings etc, thanks.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Adi said:

It's always done it on every version I've played: 14, 19, 22 & 23. In fact I ruined the original fan playing 14 & 19 and had to replace it!

A buddy talked me through doing all that with the drivers. I use MSI Afterburner which shows the temp & the fan starts rattling around 77° on power but on battery it will run at 60-65° which is fine.

I was  hoping there'd be in-game power vs battery settings but if not I'll try changing the crowd settings etc, thanks.

Have you tweaked the GPU using Afterburner? if so you might want to switch them back to default. MSI have software that will allow you to switch the performance mode, bestak not to above that esp if you have a full bank of ram. I assume you are able to clean the fans if needed, they do pull in a lot of dust, I have MSI and take the bottem on at least once a year to give it a good clean. Might also concider changing the thermal paste that is recommended ever 2 years.

On 13/07/2024 at 18:01, Delicate Dave said:

Just want to say, if you have a current laptop or PC with windowson you can tranfer the licence over for the OS.

Ah interesting. 

I presume you would need the laptop to still be functioning to do this? As my current one has died.

I do have an old laptop (bought in 2015) that is still functioning, would I be able to transfer from there?

1 hour ago, tcoleman1 said:

Ah interesting. 

I presume you would need the laptop to still be functioning to do this? As my current one has died.

I do have an old laptop (bought in 2015) that is still functioning, would I be able to transfer from there?

No not at all, A licence is a right to use. So just get the activation number, a copy of windows and you are fine. You can download windows from MS. The are lots of ways to do it. 

On 11/07/2024 at 03:45, Delicate Dave said:

Second hand market is your best way to go. Use places like PCU Benchmark to evaluate the CPU first then for FM at the current version any dedicated GPU will be fine. Maybe next version insurance like for one with a 4gb GPU. Don't worry about disk space or ram as these can be ungraded and anyway for value it's better to be short on those and add new like swap a HD for SSD for example. MSI, HP & ASUS are the makes I would go for. I certain I can get a laptop that will play FM24 for around £100 on ebay but maybe I would go to £250 for one for the next 2 years.

Thanks for the reply. For now, i think i'll just give up on buying a laptop, My budget only really enables a stop-gap and i'd hate to buy a laptop i don't really like today and have no way to get rid of it in 6 months. I'll just work towards the macbook, it's my dream machine, i'll make my dream come true.

In the meantime, maybe i'll work on buiding a PC using some of the specs you've guys have thrown around, hopefully that one would be easier to piece down an get rid of in the future. I'll just have to wait a couple more moths to continue my FM journey.

On 11/07/2024 at 10:03, Delicate Dave said:

Of course, this is no problem with desktops, you could build a FM24 desktop for £500 easy

The thing with the PC's though and what's discouraging me from building one. It's got to be tough to only have the oppurtunity to load up a save only when physically on your computuer. Like, imagine being on a 7 hour layover at the Frankfurt airport and being stuck with nothing to do because you only have FM installed on your PC back at home? Granted i don't travel much personally but it's a possibility. I'd like to be able to just crank out a game or two while on the train or at a coffee shop/library.

On the other side, maybe having a dedicated PC is not such a bad idea, perhaps video games should only really be played while in the comfort of one's home. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a physical barrier between work and play. Essentially, if i'm outside the house, does that not mean i'm working on a task and video games shouldn't be accessible. I don't know.

This is the dilemma i face. Do i just build a budget PC now, save up for the Macbook, and end up installing FM on both systems in 6 months time? Hmm

19 minutes ago, NoirChrist said:

On the other side, maybe having a dedicated PC is not such a bad idea, perhaps video games should only really be played while in the comfort of one's home. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a physical barrier between work and play. Essentially, if i'm outside the house, does that not mean i'm working on a task and video games shouldn't be

You can pick a Steam Deck pretty cheap right now. I find it plays FM very well and it's great for gaming sessions on the go or on the couch. 

29 minutes ago, NoirChrist said:

The thing with the PC's though and what's discouraging me from building one. It's got to be tough to only have the oppurtunity to load up a save only when physically on your computuer. Like, imagine being on a 7 hour layover at the Frankfurt airport and being stuck with nothing to do because you only have FM installed on your PC back at home? Granted i don't travel much personally but it's a possibility. I'd like to be able to just crank out a game or two while on the train or at a coffee shop/library.

On the other side, maybe having a dedicated PC is not such a bad idea, perhaps video games should only really be played while in the comfort of one's home. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a physical barrier between work and play. Essentially, if i'm outside the house, does that not mean i'm working on a task and video games shouldn't be accessible. I don't know.

This is the dilemma i face. Do i just build a budget PC now, save up for the Macbook, and end up installing FM on both systems in 6 months time? Hmm

I don't knot to be honest I have no idea why anyone would want a Macbook, just as I have no idea why anyone wanted an Ipod, Iphone etc etc <- These are all product that do things that cheaper product so better. But in my day people wore flairs so who am I to talk :-)

Perhaps a desktop and laptop that are able to use the same SSD drive for their system drive? 

10 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

In installed a Chrome Remote Desktop 
And I can access the the laptop from my phone and play FM on the go - sitting in the car waiting for the wife, or sitting in work when bored. 

Well you can access your home computer from anywhere really - so a crappy laptop on the go with Remote Desktop installed and you can play from your home computer. 

9 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

I don't knot to be honest I have no idea why anyone would want a Macbook, just as I have no idea why anyone wanted an Ipod, Iphone etc etc <- These are all product that do things that cheaper product so better. But in my day people wore flairs so who am I to talk :-)

Perhaps a desktop and laptop that are able to use the same SSD drive for their system drive? 

I have an M3 Macbook with 32gb of RAM - need it for my job as a graphic designer as everyone else is on Mac and there's some Mac centric software in use. 

Anyway, it's the worst computer I think I've ever had, constantly crashes, it's so locked down at the start, it's annoying 'do you want to allow access to this folder' - yes I want to access folders on the computer. 'This app wants to access the video screen recording' - yes I'm trying to do a video screen recording I want the app to record the screen... 

The read/write permissions are not setup so if you're in the middle of busy work and all of a sudden you can't access certain files - there's hidden library files. I've to constantly dump prefs and caches. 
Lucky I'm computer savvy and can do a lot myself - I've worked cross-platfrom on Windows/Mac for 25 years. 

Cannot stand the Mac OS, and the M3 processor is really not that amazing. 

Very very pricey - what I'd say is a very average computer.

Edited by Smurf

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

I have an M3 Macbook with 32gb of RAM - need it for my job as a graphic designer as everyone else is on Mac and there's some Mac centric software in use. 

Anyway, it's the worst computer I think I've ever had, constantly crashes, it's so locked down at the start, it's annoying 'do you want to allow access to this folder' - yes I want to access folders on the computer. 'This app wants to access the video screen recording' - yes I'm trying to do a video screen recording I want the app to record the screen... 

The read/write permissions are not setup so if you're in the middle of busy work and all of a sudden you can't access certain files - there's hidden library files. I've to constantly dump prefs and caches. 
Lucky I'm computer savvy and can do a lot myself - I've worked cross-platfrom on Windows/Mac for 25 years. 

Cannot stand the Mac OS, and the M3 processor is really not that amazing. 

When I worked in IT having to buy maybe 2,000 computers a year people used to come to me with requests for different things they wanted. Most times anyone came for a Mac even for graphics I would set up a demo with the Mac the wanted and my choice of PC build. The only time they stuck with a Mac was if they were a company director and to be frank most of those are complete A holes and you can't tell the sky is blue if they think it's green. 

Thinking of getting sucked into buying a new laptop what with FM25 being round the corner, suspect the requirements being higher. I dont have a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. To play FM24 on my laptop, I actually stream it via steam from my PC which is a fairly decent spec.

Looking at the below Dell from Amazon. At the price it is below, I would want it to be pretty outstanding. Thoughts? @Smurf Incase link does not work, it is the 32GB of RAM, Ultra 7-155H, RTX 4050 6GB option.

I have my eye on the Dell specifically because although I want something very powerful, I like that it still looks pretty slick and reasonably lightweight.

Dell XPS 16 9640 16.3" FHD+ InfinityEdge Laptop, Intel Evo Edition - Intel Core Ultra 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Graphics, Windows 11 Home, Fingerprint Reader, UK Keyboard : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

10 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Thinking of getting sucked into buying a new laptop what with FM25 being round the corner, suspect the requirements being higher. I dont have a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. To play FM24 on my laptop, I actually stream it via steam from my PC which is a fairly decent spec.

Looking at the below Dell from Amazon. At the price it is below, I would want it to be pretty outstanding. Thoughts? @Smurf Incase link does not work, it is the 32GB of RAM, Ultra 7-155H, RTX 4050 6GB option.

I have my eye on the Dell specifically because although I want something very powerful, I like that it still looks pretty slick and reasonably lightweight.

Dell XPS 16 9640 16.3" FHD+ InfinityEdge Laptop, Intel Evo Edition - Intel Core Ultra 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Graphics, Windows 11 Home, Fingerprint Reader, UK Keyboard : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It's overpriced.  This would offer similar performance and is much cheaper: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/elimina-pro-IV-16/5g3ZDn2xBq/

3 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Thanks @kevhamster

Am I under the right lines though spec wise? In particular the graphics card?

We don't have system requirements for FM25 yet, so hard to say for certain.  I'd be surprised if the 4050 wasn't good enough, but I can't be 100% certain until SI release the system requirements,

1 hour ago, shaunwwfc said:

Christ on a bike ! slight over kill imo but your money your choice. 

Be awear they are pricing this up on a 2TB HD and 8GB GPU - the price for this on the dell site is £2,179.01 not £2,499

As I said before, I've been around since before Amazon and never seen a computer at a REAL bargain price on there, the profit margin doesn't allow for it. For retailers Amazon is very expensive to sell on, therefor it's full of chuck, iffy products, failed products and lies. Be very careful.

Just checked Dell "refurbished" for you the is a 16gb ram version for just £1,572.00 :-) 

Edited by Delicate Dave

2 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

I'd be looking for something similar - great processor and good spec. 

In terms of how much it costs - that's up to you - I don't think you'd get much better. 

Now toying with the below @kevhamster @Smurf

Seems to sweet spot for pricing, well under £1,000 and the spec, to me at least, looks more than good enough?

Not as pretty as the XPS perhaps. But price on that did seem too steep the more I looked into it.

https://amzn.eu/d/08IOv84b

4 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Now toying with the below @kevhamster @Smurf

Seems to sweet spot for pricing, well under £1,000 and the spec, to me at least, looks more than good enough?

Not as pretty as the XPS perhaps. But price on that did seem too steep the more I looked into it.

https://amzn.eu/d/08IOv84b

Yep, that one is a great price for that spec.

Hi, I'm looking for a budget refurbished laptop to run fm and other daily stuff, would this be any good? Their are a few different ones around this price bracket refurbished, not sure what to go with, cheers

Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Windows 11 Ultrabook - 14" Full HD Quad Core i5-8350U 16GB 256GB SSD HDMI WebCam WiFi PC Laptop (Renewed) https://amzn.eu/d/07MmszYo

7 hours ago, ezzzz said:

Hi, I'm looking for a budget refurbished laptop to run fm and other daily stuff, would this be any good? Their are a few different ones around this price bracket refurbished, not sure what to go with, cheers

Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Windows 11 Ultrabook - 14" Full HD Quad Core i5-8350U 16GB 256GB SSD HDMI WebCam WiFi PC Laptop (Renewed) https://amzn.eu/d/07MmszYo

I'll be honest, that one isn't going to be great especially if you're thinking FM25 and beyond.

What's your budget?

4 minutes ago, ezzzz said:

Around 300 at the moment, happy to get a refurb

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/hp-laptop-15-fc0008na-7t-generation-ryzen-5-8gb-ddr5-ram-256gb-ssd-windows-11-home-15-6-fhd-screen

Can't give any guarantees for FM25 as we don't have system requirements as yet, but it'll certainly be ok for FM24.... Possibly not at the highest match graphics settings.

Hi All, Looking to get back into FM so was seeing if a deal would come up on Amazon,Will only be used for FM & general web browsing no AAA games. Would like your opinions on this. Many thanks IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.0f13f7c7993fa44415b66022b62605c4.jpeg

IMG_3502.png

26 minutes ago, Marshy46 said:

Hi All, Looking to get back into FM so was seeing if a deal would come up on Amazon,Will only be used for FM & general web browsing no AAA games. Would like your opinions on this. Many thanks IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.0f13f7c7993fa44415b66022b62605c4.jpeg

IMG_3502.png

Decent price for that spec.  Will be excellent for FM24.  

My gut feeling is it will be fine for FM25, however we don't have system requirements for it yet.

25 minutes ago, ezzzz said:

Sorry to be a pain but this is above my budget, would it be worth it ?Deal of the day for Prime Members: Acer Aspire 3 A315-44P Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, 16GB, 1TB SSD, Integrated Graphics, 15.6-inch FHD, Windows 11, Silver https://amzn.eu/d/05MW3URb

No mate, it's not a games laptop.

3 hours ago, ezzzz said:

Sorry to be a pain but this is above my budget, would it be worth it ?Deal of the day for Prime Members: Acer Aspire 3 A315-44P Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, 16GB, 1TB SSD, Integrated Graphics, 15.6-inch FHD, Windows 11, Silver https://amzn.eu/d/05MW3URb

The one I linked previously for £300 won't be significantly different.  I'd stick to your budget.

Hey guys, need to get a new laptop for work and also FM25. Budget is around £500 - is anyone able to advise on a decent option for me please? I’m a real novice at this sort of thing so would really appreciate any help!

Thanks so much!

4 minutes ago, Sport Lacost said:

Hey guys, need to get a new laptop for work and also FM25. Budget is around £500 - is anyone able to advise on a decent option for me please? I’m a real novice at this sort of thing so would really appreciate any help!

Thanks so much!

I would wait until FM25's system requirements are announced if you can.  Until then, we can't guarantee FM25 will run well on anything, especially at the lower end of the price scale.

36 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I would wait until FM25's system requirements are announced if you can.  Until then, we can't guarantee FM25 will run well on anything, especially at the lower end of the price scale.

Thanks for the reply! I need to buy it before the end of this month for tax reasons 👍
Im not bothered about it being amazing, just something that will atleast run it fairly well.

Edited by Sport Lacost

8 minutes ago, Sport Lacost said:

Thanks for the reply! I need to buy it before the end of this month for tax reasons 👍
Im not bothered about it being amazing, just something that will atleast run it fairly well.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3294318?clickPR=plp:5:24

Will be fine for FM24, likely not at max graphics settings.

No guarantees on FM25 as previously mentioned.

Hi all, Complete Laptop novice here.

Visited Curry's at the weekend looking for a laptop to play FM24 on, came away completely puzzled as the guy showing me didn't seem to knowledgeable himself.

So , looking to purchase a laptop , £600 pounds ish , just been scanning through and seems a refurbed laptop might be better for value for the money i want to spend?

If not a refurbed one, what's the best I can get for around 600, solely going to be used for the FM games.

TIA

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3268753?clickPR=plp:1:32

Hows that one? ^^^^

Edited by GMazzy

41 minutes ago, GMazzy said:

Hi all, Complete Laptop novice here.

Visited Curry's at the weekend looking for a laptop to play FM24 on, came away completely puzzled as the guy showing me didn't seem to knowledgeable himself.

So , looking to purchase a laptop , £600 pounds ish , just been scanning through and seems a refurbed laptop might be better for value for the money i want to spend?

If not a refurbed one, what's the best I can get for around 600, solely going to be used for the FM games.

TIA

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3268753?clickPR=plp:1:32

Hows that one? ^^^^

It'll do a decent job for FM24.

I'd imagine it would likely be ok for FM25 as well, but we haven't had system requirements announced for it yet, so can't be certain,

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It'll do a decent job for FM24.

I'd imagine it would likely be ok for FM25 as well, but we haven't had system requirements announced for it yet, so can't be certain,

Anything else better than than for a around similar money, or is that as good as I can get for that price?

21 minutes ago, GMazzy said:

Anything else better than than for a around similar money, or is that as good as I can get for that price?

If you can get hold of this one locally to you, it's a very similar performance for a lower price:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-16-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10257413.html

Someone asked me to find a laptop under 300 that would play FM24 and give them a chance of playing FM25 if the specs are not too much greater. I've done that for them but thought as this seems to be an hot topic on here right now, I would post the eBay search. Please anyone with ideas on how to make the search better feel free to change it and re-post I'm not saying its the easy answer to the problem just giving it as a place to start that narrows the options down a bit. The search will still throw up unsuitable options but should find the bargains. It is limited to all listing that will "accept an offer" and I advise anyone using it to make their first offer at least 25% less then the asking price. Just hope this helps someone;

The search wil find all "accepts offer" "gaming laptop" between £150 and £500 sorted on most recent listings. I would restrict it to non business listings but it seems eBay have deleted that option. General advice is look at the seller's profile and their other items listed to determine if they are a business or if they seem like someone you want to deal with. Often their reply to an offer is a good indication but you could also ask them questions.

https://shorturl.at/uiHkI

Edited by Delicate Dave

Hi all. Current laptop appears to be about to give up the ghost due to wear and tear - was wanting to get a replacement later in the year anyway as it won't be able to handle FM25, but now looks like I'll have to decide on a replacement before we know the FM25 specs annoyingly. Current laptop is an Acer and has been the best laptop I've ever owned by a mile so been looking at Acers (but not totally wedded to going down that route) - anyone able to say whether they think this one looks good from a 'will run FM25 very well' perspective (know we can't guarantee anything given we don't have the specs yet, but making some educated guesses)?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-an517-55-intel-core-i7-16gb-1tb-rtx-4060-144hz-fhd-17.3-inch-w-nh.qlfek.002/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=21429736943&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uK0BhC0ARIsANQtgGMEKUAsyzdecvF8ewr0udwYTzGgfFXTmgIhXrOyU-FY8q_pcxs25RYaAp2oEALw_wcB

That's probably about the limits of my budget (maybe another £100 on top at a push) if there's anything better around in that bracket.

Edit: Maybe this as a non-Acer alternative - have heard/read good things about MSI laptops - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Katana-17-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0BSXQ9RPS

Edited by Nick OGS20

On 15/07/2024 at 22:31, Smurf said:

Honest question, what makes a computer really standout to you? I'm quite taken aback that you've run into so many issues with a machine thats often been tagged as "powerful", i've always told myself that getting an m-series macbook would solve all the problems i currently face on my current machine.

I'm only just srarting to "get into" computers so i'd appreciate if you could open my eyes a bit here. Thanks