FBK Karlstad

Season 1  2021  Division 2 Norra Götaland  -  4th Tier

League Table  -  Fixtures 1  -  Fixtures 2

Squad  -  Youth Intake  -  Transfers

Club Information

Club Vision  -  Club Profile  -  General  -  Facilities  -  Finance

Manager Profile

Characteristics  -  Attributes

The club signed a player before i arrived at the club and had one pending transfer which i promptly cancelled.

We spent almost the entire season fighting at the bottom of the table, and the second half of the season constantly on the verge of being sacked.

The fans even had a weekly poll on whether i should be sacked for about a month.

116678941_LeaguePositions.png.1e66003d01d71f911cad8c87196431e7.png

With a win in the last game of the season we just about managed to avoid automatic relegation thanks to goal difference.

Going in to the last four games i did not have high hopes of surviving, so being able to stay up with a 6-1 win in the playoff game was a pleasant surprise.

383198523_RelegationScrapTable.png.f21eb08d430e829f6cee0bcb41a8b889.png

308473389_RelegationScrapMatches.png.dd64782b5c27ddfb5739145bb02e0dfb.png

The youth intake preview did not look amazing but i was cautiously optimistic hoping for a good intake.

1896404701_YouthIntakePreview.png.cee33f6edbddee5abe18f8743064061b.png

The youth intake did not provide much in terms of current ability, but with most players having a decent personality i'm hoping someone will improve and be able to step into the first team relatively soon.

I did manage to convince the board to improve our youth recruitment despite them not having much faith in me.

111565065_YouthRecruitmentImprovment.png.f84320910a3b7a41ae40ecd0476f62a5.png

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Crayam99x said:

It's actually a rule in football. The player who takes the penalty can't touch the ball until it has touched another player :D

I would go for the B club, if only for how fun it is to see them rise up the ranks. It is also good for development as for as I'm aware because they should eventually play against better opponents than they would in youth team matches. As for the injurt problem, you can simply have your players in your first team and have them set unavailable for the B team.

Ah you're right I completely forgot :eek:

Thanks for the help!  I'll keep everyone up to date with the new B team.

8 hours ago, Hian said:

pff.JPG.36e7df1a469b93b04c6ab9dd85a08b48.JPG

I need a rest after that. Went from 4-0 up to 4-4... This happen at 4-3.

7 hours ago, yowg8ynwa said:

Espinosa in shock or his anticipation is 1

As @Crayam99x wrote, if you hit the woodwork on a pen you are not allowed to touch the rebound before someone else has touched it. If you do, it's a free kick to the opponent team. It's the same as passing the ball a bit forward and then shooting, a double touch as it were. One of many rules most people are not that familiar with. Same with what happens if a goalkeeper should happen to put the ball into his own net from a goal kick, the result? A corner to the opposing team. :)

Sucks, but at least you won the game @Hian!

Brickfield Rangers FC | Buckley Town Football Club

Season 2021/22 - JD Cymru North

P1fEcUT.png

A tough, hard fought first season, but it's always like that, isn't it? Still, it got a bit easier from when the youth intake came along as then I finally had some good players to use. I'm still using my "let's see if you can outscore me"-tactic that makes Mourinho cry, but so far it's worked for us. So a 6th place is a really good result first season, and I hope we can improve now that we have actual players available to us. Perhaps this means I can get in some new staff next season as well, I'd like to get an assistant manager soon...

50uG3Mx.png

Transfers | Youth Preview (Didn't get one due to a lack of HoYD) | Youth Intake

MsaNxB4.png

An excellent intake, but any would do. Lovely to get a good goalkeeper from the start.

Key players: Jamie JonesEddie ColbertBen Watson

slZhjfj.png

Quick question!

If a youth intake player has really low determination, or has the personality 'unambitious' or 'low determination', do I need to throw them out right away? If I'm a top club in one of the top 5 leagues, is it possible to turn them into a top player if their other attributes and PA is high enough?

Just now, joekim87 said:

Quick question!

If a youth intake player has really low determination, or has the personality 'unambitious' or 'low determination', do I need to throw them out right away? If I'm a top club in one of the top 5 leagues, is it possible to turn them into a top player if their other attributes and PA is high enough?

Yes it's possible to have him be good, just less likely for him to be fantastic. I'd advise you to put him in a mentor group with good personalities asap. That can make a world of difference.

Just now, XaW said:

Yes it's possible to have him be good, just less likely for him to be fantastic. I'd advise you to put him in a mentor group with good personalities asap. That can make a world of difference.

Thanks! So, even if he is only 15, I should put him into my first squad and make him available for U18 matches but have him mentored by the best right? Thanks once again.

12 minutes ago, joekim87 said:

Thanks! So, even if he is only 15, I should put him into my first squad and make him available for U18 matches but have him mentored by the best right? Thanks once again.

Yeah, if he looks a real prospect, then that could be a good move.

A question for the "experienced" players of the youth challenge in here, have you ever had players you "throw away" because they had 3star pot (by the HOYD standards) turn into really world class players?  Sometimes I am thinking of offering a contract to all the youths, and eventually release after a year or two if they are not up to standard.  Am also aware that they can take up spots which would have been reserved to the more promising players.

2 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

A question for the "experienced" players of the youth challenge in here, have you ever had players you "throw away" because they had 3star pot (by the HOYD standards) turn into really world class players?  Sometimes I am thinking of offering a contract to all the youths, and eventually release after a year or two if they are not up to standard.  Am also aware that they can take up spots which would have been reserved to the more promising players.

Yup, several times, especially those with excellent personalities. I'm always keeping everyone with great personalities, no matter the potential. If nothing else, they help improve the squad personality!

Edit: To add a bit more. I had a player I thought would be trash (3 star potential at intake), but 5 years on he was rated 5 stars and had gotten some caps for Albania. Not that he was a world beater, but for my level he was far beyond what I had at the time...

Edited by XaW

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Yup, several times, especially those with excellent personalities. I'm always keeping everyone with great personalities, no matter the potential. If nothing else, they help improve the squad personality!

hmmm good idea.  Do you consider balanced as an excellent personality?

4 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

hmmm good idea.  Do you consider balanced as an excellent personality?

I consider Balanced a quite poor personality. It has 1-14 in Det, Pro and Amb, and those are key...

Edit: Unless they have a reserved, or evasive Media Handling, of course!

Edited by XaW

1 minute ago, XaW said:

I consider Balanced a quite poor personality. It has 1-14 in Det, Pro and Amb, and those are key...

I know there was already something posted on personalities before in here, will try to go through 21 pages again :) .  Looking at my intake, nothing to boast about.  But the youths are doing well so far

2 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

I know there was already something posted on personalities before in here, will try to go through 21 pages again :) .  Looking at my intake, nothing to boast about.  But the youths are doing well so far

I have this link to a semi-outdated page for how to calculate hidden attributes based on personality, determination and media handling.

http://zfn4fun.github.io/fm/att/index.html

So while it's not perfect, it can still give you an indicator as to if a player's pro, det and amb are good enough.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

I have this link to a semi-outdated page for how to calculate hidden attributes based on personality, determination and media handling.

http://zfn4fun.github.io/fm/att/index.html

So while it's not perfect, it can still give you an indicator as to if a player's pro, det and amb are good enough.

Nice thanks!

8 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

Nice thanks!

To give an example of how I use it. I have my very talented goalkeeper. He has a Resolute personality, 17 Determination and his media handling is Reserved. So if I plop that into that page I get:

image.png.0aebfbb1fcba410e49f752e26e7299e7.png

So I know he has good Det from seeing it, his professionalism is high, and low controversy is also nice (but not something i'm too bothered with). The question is his ambition, but when I look at his coaching report it doesn't contain any negatives. So that makes me think it's at least not horrible (taken with a grain of salt since my coaches are so incredibly horrible, of course).

image.png.aa4f23bf295172e080dc128a375c47a2.png

This makes me think I have an excellent youngster here. I mean, he is rated 5 stars already, but this just helps.

I have this other kid, his personality is Balanced, he has a Determination of 11 and his media handling is Media Friendly. This gives me:

image.png

So I know his determination is ok, but his ambition and professionalism is never excellent, they are good at best, horrible at worst.

His scouting report doesn't say anything for either of the key attributes. (as well as having low consistency!)

qLV0RZS.png

So I'm going to assume he has somewhere around 6-13 in both Pro and Amb. And even if he is highly rated by the staff (potential wise), I'm not sure how well he will progress, but I will bet it's lower than the other guy.

Edited by XaW

20 minutes ago, XaW said:

In other news, I'm Team Pugh!

0s7SqZY.png

I really like what this Pugh guy is saying, hopefully it will go through!

hoheyrP.png

He wants to keep me, AND he wants to focus on youth!

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

To give an example of how I use it. I have my very talented goalkeeper. He has a Resolute personality, 17 Determination and his media handling is Reserved. So if I plop that into that page I get:

image.png.0aebfbb1fcba410e49f752e26e7299e7.png

So I know he has good Det from seeing it, his professionalism is high, and low controversy is also nice (but not something i'm too bothered with). The question is his ambition, but when I look at his coaching report it doesn't contain any negatives. So that makes me think it's at least not horrible (taken with a grain of salt since my coaches are so incredibly horrible, of course).

image.png.aa4f23bf295172e080dc128a375c47a2.png

This makes me think I have an excellent youngster here. I mean, he is rated 5 stars already, but this just helps.

I have this other kid, his personality is Balanced, he has a Determination of 11 and his media handling is Media Friendly. This gives me:

image.png

So I know his determination is ok, but his ambition and professionalism is never excellent, they are good at best, horrible at worst.

His scouting report doesn't say anything for either of the key attributes. (as well as having low consistency!)

qLV0RZS.png

So I'm going to assume he has somewhere around 6-13 in both Pro and Amb. And even if he is highly rated by the staff (potential wise), I'm not sure how well he will progress, but I will bet it's lower than the other guy.

Class!  Thanks @XaW really helps understanding that website and your thinking behind that.

3 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

Class!  Thanks @XaW really helps understanding that website and your thinking behind that.

No worries, just ask if there's something strange. This challenge demands more of you than a normal game, so it's good to get grips on personality in the game for this. After a while though, you start to roughly "know" what personality is good or bad based on doing these calculations enough. Way back when, I did them by hand (or that spreadsheet I made, that I can't find, also, I think @Braumiller made one as well?), so that gets even more stuck in your brain! ;) 

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

No worries, just ask if there's something strange. This challenge demands more of you than a normal game, so it's good to get grips on personality in the game for this. After a while though, you start to roughly "know" what personality is good or bad based on doing these calculations enough. Way back when, I did them by hand (or that spreadsheet I made, that I can't find, also, I think @Braumiller made one as well?), so that gets even more stuck in your brain! ;) 

I posted mine in this topic :)  included all the personalities and media handling split between senior(staff) and youth players.

eaa044cd2e3344ce12de29554a9dca63.png

b078e4ceefa53ffb3dd858093beb2483.png

7ff375733f76246b0d7c6059679c60d0.png

Edited by OlivierL

15 minutes ago, XaW said:

Thanks @XaW yeah I am starting to get used to it all, I am loving this challenge.  Cannot imagine playing the game any other way now :)

11 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

I posted mine in this topic :)  included all the personalities and media handling split between senior(staff) and youth players.

Do you have this as a downloadable?  I am also working on my spreadsheet at the moment, trying to get the best ratings of the players in every position but still needs tweaking

42 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Hello!

It looks amazing but I have no idea what those percentages and figures mean. Also, if it's not too much bother, how come some personalities are better for youth and others for senior players?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I really like what this Pugh guy is saying, hopefully it will go through!

hoheyrP.png

He wants to keep me, AND he wants to focus on youth!

It happened!

A4TenSv.png

They didn't put any money in, but they did add this to the club vision:

ssd5slS.png

So let's hope they will add some money in to reach that!

Apologies in advance for the cynicism as, my next point aside I really like the idea of this, but is that leader board inhabited by honestly genuine non re-loaders? I mean ever?

I am an experienced player, maybe not the best, but I have played for over 20 years and always do a rags to riches save so think I am relatively experienced in this type of challenge. Last year I set myself the challenge of getting Wrexham as high as I could by only signing Welsh players or using my youth squad. I found it much easier than I thought initially, getting up to the Championship in 6 years. But then hit a ceiling as my best players or prospects were picked off.

If I couldn't sign a replacement but had to rely purely on my youth team I would have sunk pretty quickly. After 4/5 top half finishes in the Championship the board were right on my back as I slipped into the bottom half. I imagine if you had the best youth academy in the country it would be very hard to replace the amount of players you would naturally lose to build a squad with enough quality and depth to win both the PL and CL.

Maybe people aren't save re-loading for games, but not even when a player gets approached or wants to leave and you wish you'd negotiated a new contract earlier? Or the board give you an ultimatum on results? I don't know, maybe I am being unfair, but I would expect the lack of patience boards have would prevent the lengthy build you would need to do to really save up the warchest you might need to protect against poachers.

I don't mind the attempt at all but it just seems too difficult to ever be achieved in the relatively short timeframes claimed without a tiny bit of interference. I will happily believe the first person to set me straight though as who am I to be some sort of arbiter. The game is just you and your conscience after all...

NB: I am really enjoying some of the stories on this tab though. Much more serious depth paid to development etc :applause:

Edited by Caning the Days

2fc95d82236df0d8b50aabd30bc29711.png.89fb75fee15c5d0cded69c4e11167e32.png

First intake preview and the only position I desperately need is a keeper and looks like my dreams have been answered. We are performing above expectations currently 10th with 3 games remaining. The hardest part of the season so far is getting the players to like me, I think I am finally winning them round as managerial support is poor instead of very poor. Board rejected my coaching badge request so hopefully finishing above expectations will make them like me,

45 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, in general, we have no way of proving it, but then again this challenge is not against each other, but more a support for each other in the quest for the almost impossible. At least that's how I see it.

For my own part, I don't do it, the only time I have had to redo things is from crashes or similar, and I've posted about it when it happens, in the name of honesty. And looking at others, in particular @Padders, who had to wait a few hundred years to win it, I doubt there is any save scumming there.

You are well within the right to question it, but this is not the kind of challenge where we view other with suspicion by default. I cannot say that no one in here have save scummed, edited players, or some other cheat I can't think of, but I chose to think that everyone who does this do it because they like the challenge of it, not for some stranger to write their name on a list after cheating. I might be an idealist or naïve, but that's how I see it anyway.

Thanks for the response. In hidsight I don't know why I made that comment to be honest. Your point seems quite right, it makes far more sense that anyone embarking upon this is not doing it for anything else but their own enjoyment.

1 minute ago, Caning the Days said:

Thanks for the response. In hidsight I don't know why I made that comment to be honest. Your point seems quite right, it makes far more sense that anyone embarking upon this is not doing it for anything else but their own enjoyment.

No worries, I understand the question, I just tend to focus on how well we support each other, and the sense of community instead of competition. If someone wants to cheat, then it's their loss as to what we do here. :)

Loving the updates guys, keep em coming!

I am halfway through my first season with Worthing & will start posting proper updates here every season (if I make it that far!)

I have a couple of questions:
Is it okay to "buy" a HoYD? I will have to pay £9k in compensation to Leiston for Steve Foley.
& do you think that having a decent HoYD from the first season is worth spending 25% of the bank balance on?

8944808879f0591597ab8f21fd21c31d.png

Badge.jpg.d05ff865323ade7f3cf8b64b4ca4bd12.jpg

SEASON 11 - 2032 - ICELANDIC PREMIER DIVISION

LEAGUE TABLE  -  FIXTURES  -  FIXTURES -  PLAYER STATS  -  TEAM STATS  -  COMPETITION REVIEW  

MANAGER PROFILE -  CHARACTERISTICS  -  ATTRIBUTES 

CLUB PROFILE  -  GENERAL  -  FACILITIES  -  HONOURS  -  FINANCES  -  TRANSFERS 

LEAGUE CUP

Out the group stages this year with 5 wins from 5. We met Breioablik in the semi, who are one of the best teams in the country. We took them to extra-time, but unfortunately lost 1-0. Semi-final this year. Still never won this competition.

LEAGUE

A much better start in the league this year and a lot more consistency, despite 7 losses. We were always near the top of the table, but never actually looked like challenging. Valur and Breoiablik were always well ahead, but our 3rd placed finish was well deserved. Hopefully we can kick on next season and mount a bit of a title challenge.

ICELANDIC CUP

We seem to have a bit of a love affair with the cup, considering we've nver really challenged for the league. We reached the final for the 4th year, but were well beaten 3-1 by champions Valur.

THE PLAYERS

Long term goalkeeper Sigporson moved on and Andri Hilmarsson started his first season as number 1. The team has been almost all regens this season. My main man Gylfi Sigurjonsson was solid again and his centre back partner Hakon Ingi Leosson seems to be developing well, also. Kristofer Hinrikson was his usual self, with 23 in 32. He may find himself on the right wing next season, so will see how that develops. Kjartan Stefansson was his strike partner again and managed 20 in 25.

THE YOUTH INTAKE

Another 'golden generation' predicted. What an intake. 8 4* players and 8 players already at, at least 2*. I understand the ratings are all relative to the current squad, but at already 4* ability, Halldor Kjartansson will probably be next seasons centre mid, already scoring at just 15 years old.

380172779_SeasonInfo.PNG.e7fde59fe5f44bc5d7ec277d117b0bdd.PNG

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

Nothing like being accused of cheating on a Friday afternoon! 

On a serious note, when you ask if people are cheating in one way or another I personally have to give an answer as I have completed the challenge three times, more than anyone else, so I guess your accusation is targeted towards me more than anyone else. That is not bragging by the way, as I play in big nations and I do think it's impossible to complete the challenge in Norway or Iceland (I really, really hope I'm proven wrong on this!). I tried the challenge in Croatia, and even though I won the league I deemed it to be impossible to complete the challenge as the board sold my best players and I couldn't do anything about it. 

From FM18 i've only played challenges and from FM19/20 only this challenge. Doing "random" saves isn't fun anymore as I really enjoy having a set of goals/rules defined by a moderator/user, and I absolutely LOVE the challenge community. Reading updates from the others users here (no one mentioned no one forgotten) is honestly just as fun as playing myself. Especially in the first couple of months after release when people are just getting started. And reading about the struggles is often the most fun as people are describing it really funny. I do not have any stronger moral compass than the average person, but I simply don't want to fool the other people on this forum, and receive praise when doing well, and then sitting by myself and re-loading saves if I lose a game. That is the best answer I can give, I simply dont re-load games and I don't know how to use the editor (never seen or used it). 

You ask this question, and it's a valid one: "Maybe people aren't save re-loading for games, but not even when a player gets approached or wants to leave and you wish you'd negotiated a new contract earlier?"

The thing is, this isn't a big problem on this challenge if you play in the bigger leagues. Playing in Croatia it was and I lost my best players every year to Liverpool. But on FM you can usually sign 4-5 year contracts, but you can add clauses to the contracts giving you the possibility to extend it with 3 years (sometimes less). This gives you in effect 7-8 year long contracts and if you know when to renew contracts with players (team being in good form, not close to a transfer window, moral etc.) you usually get the chance to pin them down for a new deal in good time before it expires. When I play this challenge, maybe except for my current save as my finances are crap, I usually renew contracts when players have less than 3 years left on their deal. I don't wait until they are one or two years away. And when you are in the top leagues, wage budget isn't a problem as with no transfer expenditure you have so much money. In my Cottbus save on FM20 I think I had £500 million in the bank, and when I played with South Shields my best defender was the best paid player in the world, by a good margin. I have lost my best player twice on contracts that have expired, once with Real Jean (FM19) and one player after the first season with Cottbus (FM20). Both those losses hit me hard (had to change tactics completely with Real Jean), but it's not a big issue IF you do contract negotiations right that is. Sometimes the board will sell players without asking you. That is a little bit down to good or bad luck I think, but when you get to the top leagues it's not an issue. 

You apologised in advance for the cynisism of your question, so I will do the same for what might seem arrogant in what i'm about to say (I dont mean it in an arrogant way). When I read the general discussion and tactics forum, a large number of FM users (and people on this webiste are probably the core users) don't seem to be great at this game. So yes, for people (not targeted at you) struggling to get results with top teams in top leagues, this challenge is probably a waste of time and it would be impossible for them to complete it. Not because they are playing the game wrong, but they are playing a different game. I would guess that the challenge section attracts people who are looking for an actual challenge. Several of us who have completed this challenge have also completed other challenges, such as the Dafuge's challenge. 

Doing the Youth Academy challenge is a very different way of playing the game. First of all it's a lot more tactical. You actually have to build a tactic that suits your players, not a plug-and-play tactic. The vast majority on this site all claim to be building tactics themselves, but taking a look at FMscout.com, they have tactics in the download sections that have been downloaded 20 000 times on FM21 alone! The users doing this are wasting their time playing this challenge IMO. I also see people on the discussion forums that talk about player development, but there seems to very much a  laissez-faire mentality when approaching youth development. Not focusing on mentoring, sending players out on loan when they are too young, not re-training them well enough etc. When doing the Youth Academy challenge you have to consider facilities, affiliated clubs, geographical location of the club (underrated IMO), city size etc. etc. And the detail that we put into personality types is something that many users can learn from, people are seeing themselves blind on numbers alone. 

This was a long answer from me, but I do feel the need to defend the users on this challenge (yes, myself included). People can cheat all they want, but I don't think people would bother playing this challenge if cheating was the goal. Part of the joy is the misery.

By the way, I started this challenge with Taranto in Serie D straight after the beta release. I had high hopes but it went absolutely shockingly bad and I left the save. I would have gotten relegated or fired. So it's not all success stories. 

I hope to complete my ongoing challenge in Argentina in as few years as possible and then I want to try the challenge again in a smaller nation (maybe my native Norway). Then the challenge turns into a different animal, where winning the CL isn't really the goal. But in my other saves I've only had one goal in my mind: Get my name on the Hall of Fame, in as few seasons as possible, as many times as possible. That is probably a different approach than many other users have. And I think thats great! 

Some great stuff in this post, thomas, in reply to what was an ill-judged and unwarranted attack from Caning the Days. 

I admire all who attempt a youth only challenge save, both those that succeed and those that struggle or ultimately fail.

I had my first serious attempt at this challenge in FM20 (although I didn't report it in this thread). I played about 11 seasons with Frigg Oslo and yoyo'd between the Norwegian Second and Third Division, never getting beyond that. The struggle was real. But I learnt so much from that save and browsing this forum and threads like this. As a result, I feel I'm better equipped for another go in Norway on this year's incarceration of the game. I'll have the goal of completing but I'll likely struggle again – I say struggle and not fail because in a lot of ways it's possibly to get a lot of things right and not complete the challenge. And like Jmonfu said, I mostly play for the fun of it and the escape element.

Edited by Gundo

1694224321_pastpositions2.PNG.2ea63db8b8c932b352e2805efc5bb7bf.PNG

On The Pitch - League Table
Attack, attack, attack.  A crazy season of goals.  Our approach dictated it, but our strikers started out like a house on fire and just carried on.
During preseason it became clear very early on there was little to no difference between our existing old players and last seasons intake, except the intake have much brighter futures.  So the sooner we get them playing in this instance, the better.
Opening day saw Charlie Waite - 01C & Mario Mee - 01B start in central defence together and Marcus Garner - 01D and Sam Cooper - 01 up front together due to their pace.  Tim Fairclough also played slightly out of position on the right of midfield.  A fantastic 6-2 win in the cup saw us start strong and 2 goals apiece for the strikers.  Next round of the cup six days later saw a Sam Cooper - 01 hat-trick in a 3-0 win and he just never looked back.
The league campaign stumbled out of the blocks with a win and 2 defeats, but then saw just one more defeat until the Xmas break as we climbed up into top spot.
During that time we made it to the Quarter Finals of the League Cup before being soundly beat by Cymru Premier outfit TNS 3-0 at our place.
The turn of the year saw us start out with 5 straight wins in all competitions before a 0-1 loss in the league and then an absolute 0-7 mauling in the Quarters of the Welsh Cup away at TNS (again!).  Nerves and inexperience were definitely showing.
Two bounce back wins had us 6 points clear, but a 0-3 loss at home meant we were just 3 points clear of Llantwit Major with 5 to play and a visit to Llantwit next!  The 0-3 loss was 100% my fault as it was immediately after the youth intake and I threw my new GK in, not a good decision...
Old GK restored and a gritty 2-1 win over Llantwit meant due to goal difference we just needed 1 win from 3 to secure promotion.
We ended up winning all 3 (and new youth GK playing again in the final 2 meaningless games)!

Off The Pitch
The board got in on the feel good factor this season and rarely turned down anything (after talking them into it when they initially rejected!).
We saw two Junior Recruitment upgrades, now Adequate, and three (!) Youth Recruitment upgrades, now Average!
I was able to chain my coaching badges one after the other and I am currently doing my Continental B licence.
After promotion the board have announced they are starting to make plans for a new stadium!  It is now also listed in the 5 year plan.  Stadium rules in the Cymru Premier state you need at least 1,500 capacity with 500 seats and our ground doesn't make the grade.  We actually rented a ground this year due to issues with the Cymru South rules as well.
We lost 3 players to contract offers from elsewhere.  None that had yet to make a first team appearance, but there was certainly the chance they would have!
After the season ended we also got notice of Colwyn Bay poaching one of our academy players!

Youth Intake - screenshot
Given the improvements in our infrastructure I was actually a little underwhelmed here, but I imagine they need time to take effect (kids are already in the academy from when our setup was poor).  All kids this time hail from Monmouth itself after last years diverse intake.  Anyway, another intake with potential all over the place and this time some current ability to make me think.  An almost universally bad personality intake.
Leo Needs - 02A - A high ability GK is nice.  Threw him straight into the team (starting GK in 2* ability, 5* potential) and promptly lost 0-3.  Got another couple of games once the title was secured.  The presumed starting GK going forward, just have to monitor.
Sam Santris - 02B - A nice tall DC, with some great versatility.  Had one sub appearance at DC and then started 3 games at DR due to injuries, and pitched in with 3 assists.  Long term will be a DC, but looking like he might play DR for now until a better option comes along.
Sam Needs - 02C - Our second GK.  Tough break to come through with Leo Needs (no relation) ahead of him.
Dion Harrhy - 02D - A pacey right midfielder, which will be nice.  Hoping he gets and takes chances to play well.
Dafydd Thomas - 02E - Another right sided midfielder, will fight Dion Harrhy for that role.

Squad Stats

Transfers

Special shout out to Sam Cooper - 01 after a 50 goal season!

image.png.4a18573d1758b7f5858cd24cc8bc4bdb.png

image.thumb.png.648180f366beed99d3c95f5bfa3ff912.png

If there is one thing that I have learnt more than ever to do in this year's version of the game is that I'm literally having to play players out of position to get them to learn new positions to suit my purposes and try and pull something off, simply because of how thin the squad was in some areas.

I actually gave up on my Energie Cottbus save in FM 20 after I got Europa League football simply because I had a really bad start to the season, where I could see myself losing my first 8 league games in the Bundesliga and the new game got announced, which was despite the fact that the team was my best achievement to date simply because of how much of the team was just "my team", I just found that the challenge was so difficult in Germany because the team, despite being a really good side just lacked in the areas I needed to improve in desperately.

This season, I'm probably struggling more than I ever thought I would do with Siena, I've managed to go on runs where I don't even score in 7 matches, let alone win in 7. Yet I'm finding myself tweaking here and there just desperately hoping that the tactics (default or modified) actually work. Making tactics is easily one of my weakest areas of my Football Manager game, but when things suddenly click and start working, it's actually incredible to behold.

If anything, this save and my beta save with Sheffield Wednesday has taught me that things can go right or wrong easily, but trying to figure out how to fix them is probably easily said than done. I'm just desperately hoping to get to my first youth intake so I can strengthen my squad, despite being taunted by the game with really good players that would 100% make my squad much stronger.

Edited by JLAB

logo.png.864ed34ffb95f90704cbef47df38ea5a.png

Season Review

League Table - Fixtures 1 - Fixtures 2

Squad - Youth Intake - Transfers

Summary

It started well, so well infact that I started to believe that the boards expectations might have been a bit soft. But then came december. Our form dropt and we couldn't string together a good run of results or perfomances for the rest of the season. We slipt down to a mid table postion and stayed there until the end.

Speaking of the end, there was a takeover and the new chairman had said he wanted to replace me if the takeover was successful. Luckily I had just signed a new contract and I guess the board couldn't afford to give me the axe. So for now I am stil safe.

The youth intake preview was interesting. But I guess it would count as 'golden generation' if there are no other youth players in the team. The best prospects are Juan Sáiz P22a, García P22b and Flores P22c.

Lastly, the facilities are at the same level as they were from the start and I haven't been able to upgrade them.

A really interesting discussion this morning and it has already been answered better than I could by @thomas_e, @XaW and others.

Youth only really is a way of life once you get sucked in :)  I actually played a little Leicester City side game last year, which was my first non youth game for 4-6 years!

What you tend to see in this thread are the 'success' stories as people play through their seasons and document them a lot more than in other threads (imo - some folks in other threads also do amazing documenting jobs!).

I've completed the challenge before in a couple of countries and the satisfaction gained from that is amazing (mock me if you will, but it will be no worse than what my wife does when I play 'that dots' game (I tend to watch games in 2D view) lol)

This year, I do not anticipate getting close to completion - aiming for solidifying as a Welsh powerhouse and the occasional fairytale result in Europe to top off the bank balance.  For me, it is the story of getting there, not the getting there I am focusing on this year.

I have mentioned before in this thread, but what is key (in my opinion) for me in this challenge is the slow snowballing effect of all the small stuff.  Constant man management (praise and complain about all those training performances people ;) ), tweaking player positions, mentoring and many more.  The kind of stuff I just ignored in my Leicester game and threw money at problems! lol

15 minutes ago, JLAB said:

This season, I'm probably struggling more than I ever thought I would do with Siena, I've managed to go on runs where I don't even score in 7 matches, let alone win in 7. 

1755104224_8GamesWithoutAGoal.png.cdc05ac52bc7a52d722def9678111f0d.png

Correction, it was 8... including against some relegation rivals...

13 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

We need to start the challenge on the lowest settings for coaching badges and past experience.  That means no badges :(

Ah, my bad, read through the rules in the OP and misunderstood then, thought it was a case of taking the lowest badge possible. 

I'll set the save up again then and repost my manager for clarity etc. Thanks for the heads up. :thup:

Edited by craigcwwe