The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

1200px-Perth_Glory_FC_logo_svg.thumb.png.a011fb95b5d8f4bde6b0f20b8154cf81.png

ufm_record_2.PNG.c08651874a073933603f1558fe05b2de.PNG

The year is 2024 and I am now in charge of my third club, and the first that is in a top division and actually has a shot at getting on the scoreboard for the first time ever in one of these challenges. After spending a season in Poland, I left Puszcza due to poor performance and landed a job at fallen Portuguese giants Vitoria de Setubal. Relegated to the bottom rung of professional football in Portugal due to financial mismanagement, I was still only given a tiny wage budget and the expectation to challenge for a playoff spot. I managed this and worked my way through the playoffs and secured promotion to the Portugeuese 3rd tier. A strong run of performances and unearthing a very good youth player meant that we kept up our momentum and I gained an automatic promotion spot to the second tier of Portoguese football. A strong league run had us in the automatic spots until 4 matches to go, where a couple of draws saw us drop to 5th, but as both Porto B and Benfica B were above us and unable to be promoted we were granted the playoff place to face top league strugglers FC Chavez over two legs. A plucky 0-1 win away from home in the first leg had me confident that we could secure promotion at home, but alas former Premier League striker Steve Mounie scored from his only 2 shots on target and we were consigned to another year in the second division.

I'd been looking around for a top tier job at a club capable of challenging for a trophy and was rejected by Rangers, Feyenoord, Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Western Sydney Wanderers and Macarthur FC. Perth Glory decided to give me a chance though and I have managed to get us into the semi-final of the FFA Cup, against state league club Eastern Suburbs.

Things are looking good, I've made a shrewd signing or two and my youth players look to have the goods. If I can't get a trophy here within 2 seasons I'll move on. I've loaded up the MLS and Mexican leagues, so I'll probably look to head there next.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1200px-RSC_Anderlecht_logo_svg.thumb.png.f7176078cc7f432e2cbceabb033a8311.png and 140px-Fudbalski_savez_Srbije_svg.png.1ddddb69de85db7850abeea3e8bd6078.png

Season 4

2023/24

Anderlecht and Serbia

Anderlecht

In many ways this was the perfect job at the perfect time. Anderlecht had just finished 8th, outside of european qualification and sacked Vincent Kompany. They lost a lot of players as well so when i rocked up they had fairly low expectations, a 60m transfer fund and 500k to play with in the wage budget. On top of that, I took a look in the youth squad, expecting to find one or two decent prospects and found 7 or 8 really good ones instead!

Because of the lack of European football our transfer targets were limited to promising kids really but I managed to break the Anderlecht transfer record 3 times in the summer. Best ones were these two wonderkids:-

Spoiler

23kjaer.thumb.JPG.cb765470d49f065d48703fd6cf56a1a2.JPG     23blanco.thumb.JPG.65c149724e3e482b593825d0b3ac8025.JPG

The season started brilliantly for us. A 4-2 away win at reiging champions Brugges in our second game kickstarted an amazing run that saw us win 12 of our first 14, putting us 7 points clear. A little blip around christmas when the squad sulked with me for not playing their friend saw Genk catch us but once i got rid of the friend it was a 2 horse race. Our final 3 games were drawn which saw Genk overtake us, leaving the final table like this:

Spoiler

23endtable.JPG.7b828b5d4c904f8112fc75bde7b4684d.JPG

So it looked like a 2 horse race heading into the champions group stage. Brugges were a long way behind, but after the points were halved still in with a shout.

23champgroupstart.JPG.1b25e0fc07e05e68b164468d1fee0fcf.JPG

Both Genk and us lost our first two games and suddenly Brugges were only 2 points behind us. Our next two games saw us beat and draw against Genk to go top. We then beat Gent and with one game to play we were top and playing at home against Brugges

23onegameleft.JPG.8cefa76719f9c83d75db0aeeccbab0f8.JPG

A draw would make us champions! This happened:-

23brugematch.JPG.a5e148b47d22b9581e229b1a93c1047c.JPG

Brugges snatched it at the death! They finished the normal season 20 points behind the top 2 and still managed to make champions. Luckily Genk lost as well so we made the champions league, but still. Look how close we were!

23seasonend.JPG.d8ff7ceb4232679274c5943f96e79757.JPG

So, next season. We still have a ridiculous transfer kitty for a Belgian side so with a new keeper and new striker we should be favourites for the title. Those promising youths are all a year older as well and I'm expecting a few to be revealed as wonderkids. Hopefully the Champions League won't be too much of a distraction for us.

Heres my end of season summary

Spoiler

23seasonsummary.thumb.JPG.3c93c7ab438b93e8d8569e5f974db928.JPG

Serbia

It was Euro qualification time! We were in a group with England, Hungary, Malta and Cyrpus. Hungary were our main rivals, and we beat them and lost to them within the first 4 matches. This meant we just had to better their results against everyone else. They drew with Cyprus, we beat them home and away and quaified quite easily in the end. England went through with a 100% record which shows how far we have to go.

I'll attach the Euro report in another post, because I haven't played it yet. First match starts in a few days!

Career Progression

23carrer.JPG.dbbcb196a383875eb7d10627e82306cf.JPG

Challenge Progression

24challengeupdate.JPG.95e6760d8d7f4d93d13c4d338ad3e7ef.JPG

13 minutes ago, MShing said:

@libbyshuss wow what a title battle run in. Unlucky, you will win it next year I'm sure. Tough game to be FM'd against Brugge. 

Weirdly, i'm finding it easier to accept getting FM'd with that new xG thing they added.

It was a great run in though, it's things like that i love most about FM

Vikeologist's 2053 Hibernian Betfred Cup Report

Image result for hibernian

Hibs were my boyhood club. I mean, I still support them, but I've been to about 200 times more Bradford City matches than Hibs ones.

I think I've only managed them once before in FM though, a very long save where I eventually overhauled Celtic.

This time I managed them for 4 matches, the final one was the aforementioned Betfred Cup final which we came from behind against Aberdeen to win 2-1.

For the first time since about FM16, I have done a vike.

Even the game is not really crediting this one to me. 

20201122092510_1.thumb.jpg.a5f10ca5151660f5644c62bce496f534.jpg

I promise I was a full time manager for the duration of my stay.

Now just one more domestic cup to go.

No MVPs or any of that guff. I've just tried to remember the names of even one of the players, but I can't.

Domestic
Season	Team		Division		Position	MVP				Notes										
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
26/27	Everton		Premier League		1st		Moise Kean (SC)			League / FA Cup Double.	
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
31/32	Dortmund	Bundesliga		1st		Aarón Fernández (SC)		League / Cup double
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
33/34	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Carlos Gimeno (ML)		Won Euro Cup II
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League
36/37	Valencia	Primara Liga		1st		Nathan (SC)			League, Champions League
2037	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Leandro Mederos (MC)		Took over after 17 matches in 8th. Won league. CL S/F
2038	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Ley (DC)			League, Libertadores and the pursuit of happiness. Sorry, I mean the Brazilian Cup.
39/40	OM		French 1st		1st		Batata (SC)			League. Knocked out of Frech Cup on penalties. 
40/41	Juventus	Serie A			1st		Dustin Abeßer (SC)		League / Cup double.
2043	SIPG		Chinese SL		2nd		Anderson Omar (MC)		Took over after 13 matches. ACL S/F
2044	SIPG		Chinese SL		1st		Ninja (SC)			League, cup, Champions League triple, Unbeaten league season.
2045	America		Mexican Opening		13th						Took over after 14 matches in 17th place (of 20). Won all 5 remaining matches
2046	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Miguel Macías (MC)		League winners
2046	America		Mexican Opening		1st						League and Leagues Cup winners
2047	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Misael Hernández (SC)		League and NACL winners
46/47	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	3rd						Took over in 3rd with 3 games to go. 
47/48	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Tshidiso Zimu (ML/C)		League, Super 8, K/O Cup, SA Cup, Confederations Cup. Everything basically.
48/49	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Siphamandla Mlungwana (AMC)	Won everything (apart from the CWC) again, this time including the Champions League.
50/51	Slovan 		Slovak 1st		5th						Took over with 8 matches remaining in 6th. Won the Euro League II Playoff.
51/52	Slovan 		Slovak 1st		1st		Matías Bessone (SC)		Fantastic all seson apart from a disasterous S/F 1st leg saw us crash out.
52/53	Slovan		Slovak 1st		1st						League / Cup double.
53/54	Hibernian	SPL									Manager for 4 matches culminating in Betfred Cup win.							

International
Year	Team				Achievements
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying. Quit shortly afterwards.
24-26	Uruguay				World Cup S/F
26-28	France				Knocked out in Euros Q/F
28-32	Argentina			World Cup		Matías Gayoso (GK)
					Copa America		Matías Gayoso (GK)
32-34	Spain				European League		Ansu Fati (SC)
					Knocked out in '34 WC R3 by eventual winners Germany
34-36	France (Again)			Nations League		Manuel Jourdan (SC)
					Lost Euro '36 S/F to eventual winners Germany
36-39	Mexico				Lost in Gold Cup final.
					World Cup Quarterfinalists
					Won Gold Cup 		Juan Pablo Diaz (MC)
40-42	Holland				Nations League		Stefan van Roon (SC)
					World Cup 3rd Round
42-43	South Korea			Asian Cup		Wookie (ML)
46-47	Switzerland
47-49	Ivory Coast			Knocked out in ACON R2
49-50	Ghana				Knocked out in WC R2
50-52	Italy				3rd Nations League	Gianfranco Tammaro (SC)
					Euros			Blaz Ribic (GK)

Challenge Progress 30/32

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, France, Italy, China, Mexico, South Africa, Slovakia)			
 9/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, China, South Africa, Slovakia, Scotland)						
 5/5 club continental championships	(Europe, S America, Asia, N America, Africa)	 	
 1/1 club world championship

International
 4/5 continental tournaments 		(S America, N America, Asia, Europe)		
 1/1 World Cup		

I added Australia thinking they had 2 domestic cups, but it seems that's not true. Nor do they have even one domestic cup.

Not good.

Edited by vikeologist

56 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Nor do they have even one domestic cup.

Not true, they have the FFA Cup which runs in the pre-season of the A-League. It includes non-league and state-league clubs, but all top division clubs play and it is supposed to be our version of the English FA cup.

140px-Fudbalski_savez_Srbije_svg.png.04e4983b46f80d7b5e8e8b0bc90da80d.png

European Championships 2024

Serbia

Group Stage

Spoiler

euro24groupstage.JPG.eadb858f6f89737bfc682aa9d2afb18c.JPG

Second Round

Spoiler

euro24secondround.JPG.32313ac82f0e41f2acdc22111ae6d458.JPG

Quarter Final

Spoiler

euro24quarterfinal.JPG.18cdb653b2cc599c59bbb980c18bc855.JPG

Semi-Final

Spoiler

euro24semis.JPG.93f31590aef1ea453a23e462740110c8.JPG

Final

Spoiler

euro24final.JPG.1938e5e3837b1794d8111c488cdd9291.JPG

Aftermath....

Spoiler

Well, my Serbian adventure is over. We actually didn't play too badly and had a higher xG in both the Greece and Sweden games but if you don't score goals, you don't win games. My rep is pretty high now, around 55% so I'm going to apply for as many top international jobs as i can

24serbiasacked.JPG.dc29033bc6f2da658b7082678140dc6f.JPG

2021 Season Review

FC-Edmonton.png.4079d1aec5b95c2bbafeaca45eefbc29.png

With my first year in football management being so successful, we knew we would have to do something very special to top it. With 9 free transfers and 2 loanees adding to the squad, I had high hopes for another successful run!

Canadian Premier League Island Games: If last league season was a success, then this one was a step up from that! 25 wins from 28 games, scoring 71 and conceding just 25 saw us win the combined table by 25 points. However, consistency doesn’t win you league titles in Canada, so we faced off against Cavalry FC in the 2 legged final.

Luckily, my boys had enough about them to stay strong for two more games; a 5-2 win followed by a disappointing 4-3 win. We had successfully defended our league title and really didn’t need to break a sweat at any point to do so.

Amway Canadian Championship: After last season, this was the one trophy I had my eyes on. Starting off against HFX Wanderers in what should have been an easy victory actually proved to be more difficult that we could have predicted – eventually finishing 3-2 to us.

Up next, York9 in a tie that we just never got going in – losing 4-1 away in the first leg and 3-1 at home to send us embarrassingly crashing out in the quarter finals.

CONCACAF Champions League: Winning the league last season saw us given the chance to face off against the top teams in the CONCACAF Champions League and our first challenge would be Mexican team Santos Laguna.

Starting our campaign at home, we managed an impressive 0-0 draw – winning the possession game but losing in the shot department 1-27.

The next leg, Laguna wouldn’t be so polite and they smashed us 4-1 in a game where we never really got going. Our run was over before it ever got going.

Scotiabank CONCACAF League: As last years champions, we had a target on our backs; things weren’t going to be easy for us. Luckily, my boys carried their scoring form over to the CONCACAF League, scoring 27 goals in 8 games to book our place in our second continental final in as many years.

Despite looking great going forward, we had actually been struggling at the back, losing the second leg in the previous three rounds. With this in mind, facing off against a firing Alajuelense wasn’t going to be easy. In the end, the rightful winner won and that winner wasn’t FC Edmonton as we sunk to a 3-7 loss over two legs.

Top Goalscorer: With losing the clubs leading goalscorer last season, it was imperative that we found a replacement that could hit the ground running – enter stage left; former MLS forward Jordan Hamilton. Signed on a free, he chipped in with 27 goals in 36 games, marking a quite incredible first season playing in his home country.

Most seasons, 27 goals would be enough to be crowned top goalscorer, but not this year! Enter stage right; Easton Ongaro. From back up forward in 2020 to starting poacher in 2021, he smashed in 32 in 39 and repaid the faith put in him by me!

Most Assists: Returning winger Raul Tito pretty quickly cemented his place in the starting 11 by assisting in 17 goals in 24 starts. Couple that with 8 goals and he had quite a remarkable season.

Honourable mention to Jordan Hamilton who added 12 assists to his 27 goals.

Highest Ave. Rating: With a combined 39 goal contributions, its no surprise to see Hamilton topping the charts.

Most POTM: Another award for winger dynamo Raul Tito who was our best playing 6 times.

International: Qualifying for the World Cup with Israel was never going to be an easy task, but sharing a group with the likes of France, Czech Republic and Ukraine just made that task even harder. Unfortunately, we managed just 2 wins and a draw before qualification was ruled out, finally finishing the season in 4th.

I am pretty much waiting for an African or Asian nation to become available and then I will be looking to jump ship there.

Next Season Plan: I took the risk of sticking around for another season to try and pick up the cup that we failed in last season. And then we failed in it again, effectively wasting a year of my managerial career. On a positive note, I enjoyed managing Edmonton this year and we played some legitimately great football at times.

My contract is almost up and so far I have turned down all renewal offers. It is unlikely tat I will stick around another season, but so far I haven’t seen any jobs that I feel are right for me at this time.

Season	Team              Position    Continental                                Notes and Achievements     
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020	FC Edmonton       1st         Won Scotiabank CONCACAF League             Won Manager of the Year
2021	FC Edmonton       1st         Lost Scotiabank CONCACAF League Final      Won Manager of the Year

Challenge Progress

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues: Canadian Premier League Island Games - (FC Edmonton, 2020)
0/10 domestic cups:
0/5 club continental championships:
0/1 club world championship:

International
0/5 continental tournaments:
0/2 world tournaments:

International:
Season       Team                 Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2020		Russia U19s
2020		Israel
2021		Israel

Edited by Danny_H22

Not entirely sure but think this years managers rep increases too easily. I'm in my second season in South Africa having won the league and knockout cup in my first season and my rep is at 45%. that seems quite high to me. This is only my 2nd go at this challenge and didnt take notice of rep gains in fm20.

what does everyone else think?20201122211539_1.jpg.8a050fa816685a194e4924148ca4af3a.jpg

27 minutes ago, MShing said:

Not entirely sure but think this years managers rep increases too easily. I'm in my second season in South Africa having won the league and knockout cup in my first season and my rep is at 45%. that seems quite high to me. This is only my 2nd go at this challenge and didnt take notice of rep gains in fm20.

what does everyone else think?

Rep tends to go up with more coaching badges anyway and then will increase with some combination of club reputation (I'd guess SuperSport are 3 star as with my save) and then league reputation and performance in said league (plus continental and cups). Given the league is 2.5 star itself and you won it, combined with a reasonably reputable club and a few coaching badges I don't think it's that fast. I'd say it's moreso a by-product of being able to land higher reputation jobs from the offset rather than increasing faster than expected.

1 hour ago, _JHTB_ said:

Rep tends to go up with more coaching badges anyway and then will increase with some combination of club reputation (I'd guess SuperSport are 3 star as with my save) and then league reputation and performance in said league (plus continental and cups). Given the league is 2.5 star itself and you won it, combined with a reasonably reputable club and a few coaching badges I don't think it's that fast. I'd say it's moreso a by-product of being able to land higher reputation jobs from the offset rather than increasing faster than expected.

You may be right, I was just surprised how high it was after 1 season

Supersport United Season 2022/2023

After winning the League and Cup double last season, this season was all about winning the Champions League. We made a few signings to bolster our squad

Spoiler

As I spent most of this season on holiday during the league, I took control of most the cup matches and all of the champions league matches, I dont have much to report for this season.

Knockout Cup - Winners

Nedbank Cup - Knocked out in Round 1 on pens

MTN8 Cup - Winners

CAF Champions League

Spoiler

We won most cups at a canter, we did not really get challenged. The same happened in the Champions League until the final. It was an edgy affair, our opponents had a disallowed goal in the first half for offside. We shortly went ahead but we could not hold onto that lead for long as one of their midfielders lost his man and scored a 30 yard screamer. It remained 1-1 for the rest of the game and went to a dreaded penalty shoot out. Both teams scored their first 4 penalties, we scored our fifth, and they missed theirs. We had done it first time of asking. This was such a relief this meant I could move on which was good as my contract was due to expire at the end of the season.

League

Spoiler

We won the league again, we did not need to and I will give our Ass Man Tim Cahill all the credit.

Whats Next?

I am not sure what is next or where to move to. I have the Australian, China and South Korea Leagues loaded, there are no available jobs at the moment. I will wait for my contract to expire at Supersport Utd and see where the wind takes me

Season   Team   		Position  	Notes and Achievements
21/22	 Supersport United	1st		Won Telekom Knockout Cup
22/23	 Supersport United	1st		Won CAF Champions league, MTN 8 Cup, Knockout Cup
Challenge Progress

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa)

1/10 domestic cups (South Africa)

1/5 club continental championships (CAF Champions League)

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/1 world tournaments ()

Edited by MShing

Season 4 (2023/2024)

I decided to leave Willem II mid-June, since the only way onward from my title win was downward and I had achieved more than my goal. After a few months of unemployment - quite disappointing really, I  thought I would have a job by the end of the summer - I managed to get an interview (and eventually a job offer) at both Sunderland and Crystal Palace. After comparing both sides, the choice was actually quite easy...

spacer.png

The simple fact that the wage budget and the transfer budget were five times as high as they were for Sunderland made it an easy call. I took over with Crystal Palace in 11th place, promising I could guide them to a Play-off position (mid-table was asked for, but I really wanted the job, so I promised to over-deliver), which meant I had to finish at least top 6. The team was actually pretty decent, only severely lacking in the defensive department (only one half-decent left back... really guys?). I managed to get to the January transfer period winning 5 out of 8 matches, which was more than I expected. In January I managed to get the team balanced, mostly through some loans, as I wanted to wait signing players until the summer, hoping to get a promotion and thus attracting better players.

As the season went on, the performances kept getting better, and I found myself in the Play-off positions with a few weeks to go. Due to the fact that the top 2 (West Ham & Norwich) started dropping points, thus throwing away their impressive lead, I started hoping that maybe, just maybe, direct promotion was a possibility. Three matches to go, this was the league and my remaining matches:

735715671_CrystalPalace-3MatchesbeforeEoS.png.d79cf08d428f237744638699245bf7f1.png

612300138_CrystalPalace-Remaining3Matches.png.437feac9307afb856a28440c8dc6e12f.png

I had it all in my own hands - win three times and the title (!) was ours... Sadly, West Ham completely destroyed me in the first match ; luckily, Norwich also dropped points, which meant I still had a shot at direct promotion. I managed to beat Norwich 3-2, with a hattrick from my new striker, thus ensuring my place in the Premier League next season through direct promotion! With a transfer budget of 50 million, I'm very curious to see if I can keep the side up next season - nobody is really expecting me to, but I've always liked a challenge.

Last update, I forgot to mention I took over the command of a nation as well, so here's introducing...

spacer.png

I took over in June 2022, after Venezuela lost in the World Cup Play-offs to Canada. I wasn't expecting much from the team, but they have actually got some pretty decent wingers and strikers. The defense is below par, but luckily they have two decent goalkeepers, so that balances out. My first official match was in October 2023, playing in the World Cup Qualifiers. I've played 6 matches so far in that competition, winning 3, drawing 2 and only losing to Brazil.

Then, in June 2024, the Copa America started. I was drawn a tough group with a.o. Brazil, Colombia and USA. Since the top 4 of each group qualified for the Quarter Finals, I managed to scrape through, finishing 4th behind the aforementioned three countries. In the Quarter Final, I got the #1 of the other group, which was *surprisingly* Mexico, and not Argentina. The match against Mexico ended in a draw after a fairly even match, so penalties had to decide... I was the lucky one, so that meant a place in the Semi Finals!

The Semi Final saw me facing Argentina. I was sure my luck was running out by now, so already accepting defeat I started the match. Completely baffled, I paused after 16 minutes of game time to take a look at the scoreboard. My xG was 0.70, and the score was... 3-0... I switched to defensive immediately, managed to even extend the lead to 5-0 in the second half, finishing 5-1 after 90 minutes... 

The Final! Brazil, once again... I had faced them twice already, losing 0-1 and 0-2, so not that bad. However, in both matches, I had almost zero chances, so I changed my strategy, hoping for just one thing: a penalty shoot-out. Not the most attracting tactic for a final, but hey, if it works... The match itself was horrible. I had just 2 shots on target, versus 9 for Brazil. However, their xG was quite low (0.71), so I think that's what save me... I managed to hold on to the draw until the end of extra time, which meant it was time for... penalties! Gabriel Jesus took the first... and missed! I was already half dancing, until my winger struck the post, bringing everything even again. At 5-5, it was Real Madrid's Casemiro who failed from the spot, meaning my central defender Mejias had the winner on his boot.. And he struck it home! We won! Copa America 2024, the first ever for Venezuela...

Never expected this to happen, not my goal at all when joining Venezuela... So, of course, I left straight after the final, which is where I am whilst writing this post. The European Championship is almost over, which means a lot of international jobs are going to become available... I'm going to try and land one of those for sure!

Career Overviews

image.thumb.png.9434f5a40f0f555e0b64b2a3e40070e6.png 

image.png.12dd6dd0742a0e68f506c3c40656a61f.png

image.png.264456db3bccacc33200ab21bb50768c.png

Edited by Siepe1990

1 hour ago, Siepe1990 said:

After a few months of unemployment - quite disappointing really, I  thought I would have a job by the end of the summer - I managed to get an interview (and eventually a job offer) at both Sunderland and Crystal Palace.

that doesn't sound good - what was your manager rep after winning the eredivisie?

oh, and congrats on promotion AND that Venezuela win!

3 hours ago, Siepe1990 said:

Season 4 (2023/2024)

I decided to leave Willem II mid-June, since the only way onward from my title win was downward and I had achieved more than my goal. After a few months of unemployment - quite disappointing really, I  thought I would have a job by the end of the summer - I managed to get an interview (and eventually a job offer) at both Sunderland and Crystal Palace. After comparing both sides, the choice was actually quite easy...

spacer.png

The simple fact that the wage budget and the transfer budget were five times as high as they were for Sunderland made it an easy call. I took over with Crystal Palace in 11th place, promising I could guide them to a Play-off position (mid-table was asked for, but I really wanted the job, so I promised to over-deliver), which meant I had to finish at least top 6. The team was actually pretty decent, only severely lacking in the defensive department (only one half-decent left back... really guys?). I managed to get to the January transfer period winning 5 out of 8 matches, which was more than I expected. In January I managed to get the team balanced, mostly through some loans, as I wanted to wait signing players until the summer, hoping to get a promotion and thus attracting better players.

As the season went on, the performances kept getting better, and I found myself in the Play-off positions with a few weeks to go. Due to the fact that the top 2 (West Ham & Norwich) started dropping points, thus throwing away their impressive lead, I started hoping that maybe, just maybe, direct promotion was a possibility. Three matches to go, this was the league and my remaining matches:

735715671_CrystalPalace-3MatchesbeforeEoS.png.d79cf08d428f237744638699245bf7f1.png

612300138_CrystalPalace-Remaining3Matches.png.437feac9307afb856a28440c8dc6e12f.png

I had it all in my own hands - win three times and the title (!) was ours... Sadly, West Ham completely destroyed me in the first match ; luckily, Norwich also dropped points, which meant I still had a shot at direct promotion. I managed to beat Norwich 3-2, with a hattrick from my new striker, thus ensuring my place in the Premier League next season through direct promotion! With a transfer budget of 50 million, I'm very curious to see if I can keep the side up next season - nobody is really expecting me to, but I've always liked a challenge.

Last update, I forgot to mention I took over the command of a nation as well, so here's introducing...

spacer.png

I took over in June 2022, after Venezuela lost in the World Cup Play-offs to Canada. I wasn't expecting much from the team, but they have actually got some pretty decent wingers and strikers. The defense is below par, but luckily they have two decent goalkeepers, so that balances out. My first official match was in October 2023, playing in the World Cup Qualifiers. I've played 6 matches so far in that competition, winning 3, drawing 2 and only losing to Brazil.

Then, in June 2024, the Copa America started. I was drawn a tough group with a.o. Brazil, Colombia and USA. Since the top 4 of each group qualified for the Quarter Finals, I managed to scrape through, finishing 4th behind the aforementioned three countries. In the Quarter Final, I got the #1 of the other group, which was *surprisingly* Mexico, and not Argentina. The match against Mexico ended in a draw after a fairly even match, so penalties had to decide... I was the lucky one, so that meant a place in the Semi Finals!

The Semi Final saw me facing Argentina. I was sure my luck was running out by now, so already accepting defeat I started the match. Completely baffled, I paused after 16 minutes of game time to take a look at the scoreboard. My xG was 0.70, and the score was... 3-0... I switched to defensive immediately, managed to even extend the lead to 5-0 in the second half, finishing 5-1 after 90 minutes... 

The Final! Brazil, once again... I had faced them twice already, losing 0-1 and 0-2, so not that bad. However, in both matches, I had almost zero chances, so I changed my strategy, hoping for just one thing: a penalty shoot-out. Not the most attracting tactic for a final, but hey, if it works... The match itself was horrible. I had just 2 shots on target, versus 9 for Brazil. However, their xG was quite low (0.71), so I think that's what save me... I managed to hold on to the draw until the end of extra time, which meant it was time for... penalties! Gabriel Jesus took the first... and missed! I was already half dancing, until my winger struck the post, bringing everything even again. At 5-5, it was Real Madrid's Casemiro who failed from the spot, meaning my central defender Mejias had the winner on his boot.. And he struck it home! We won! Copa America 2024, the first ever for Venezuela...

Never expected this to happen, not my goal at all when joining Venezuela... So, of course, I left straight after the final, which is where I am whilst writing this post. The European Championship is almost over, which means a lot of international jobs are going to become available... I'm going to try and land one of those for sure!

Career Overviews

image.thumb.png.9434f5a40f0f555e0b64b2a3e40070e6.png 

image.png.12dd6dd0742a0e68f506c3c40656a61f.png

image.png.264456db3bccacc33200ab21bb50768c.png

Congratulations on winning the Copa with Venezuela, great achievement that is.

Would you be tempted to jump ship from Palace if an established premier league team came available or would you be loyal and see how well that squad could do?

Luke Fox

Steenberg United 

2021 / 2022

Steenberg-United.png.c8992914017ccd09aab5d9b77dbaab14.png

With the good finish to last season I was excited to give our first full season at Steenberg a real good go. I planned on making a few signings but trying to keep the core of the team the same and hopefully that would carry over the momentum and atmosphere at the club.

1798675508_Steenberg2ndtransfers.thumb.jpg.bde3261356709e4c6af0c5c0ad6c869b.jpg

As you can see that plan went out the window pretty quickly. The one year max contract length rule in the league made it the busiest transfer window I ever had. A combination of players not wanting to sign new deals and the sheer number of players available on free who were better than we currently had led to a massive overhaul of the squad. We released everyone other than 5 or 6 key players from the season before, there were some players I wanted to keep but the wage demands were too high and replacements at the same if not better level were available for less. As you can see it wasn't only us making a massive change to the squad, around half the teams made at least 10 transfers, admittedly we made over 20 and 8 more than the second most from a team. 

With my brand new squad I was confident of a good season. The first 7 or 8 games were a real mixed bag, but with a whole new squad that was expected until we improved the team cohesion. We dominated possession in almost every game we played, sometimes having as much as 75% of the ball. However early on we drew and even lost a few games we were in complete control, we didnt seem to be able to break down teams who just sat behind the ball. We had no real cutting edge.

This was the 5th game of the season and it was the story of our early season form. (We normally played a less aggressive formation, this was just chasing the game late)

1959268022_Steenberg2ndexampleloss.thumb.jpg.2503200213ff2936c040b23b11cbc39d.jpg

However once the team cohesion improved and we tweaked the tactic to give us more threat we looked a lot better. We then went on a really good run of form, we have won 10 consecutive competitive games (2 cup games) and were flying high. Against the teams we were expected to beat we would have 65% of the ball and win easily 3 or 4 -0 but against the other top teams it was different. We had results like 4-2, 5-3 and 6-2 against other teams at the top of the table, the increased space allowed us to create way more chances but left us more open at the back.

The league table as we went into the winter break.1217532885_Steenberg2ndtable.thumb.jpg.08fbbe7d3f11f6bcb44c4f4c0edafdcd.jpg

We were playing incredible football and like I said had won 10 in a row, after just beating Jomo Cosmos 6-2, things were going very well in every way other than the finances .

994575369_Steenberg2ndfinances.thumb.jpg.072107858385e9b46da369721597026a.jpg

Admittedly I was over spending on wages by a far lot, the finances in this league were not sustainable, the income is not enough and the prize money is next to nothing unless you win the league. Which I'm sure we will, but it wouldn't make a dent in the debt we would be by next season. All this whilst also trying to improve the squad to hopefully compete in the top division of South Africa. I had looked at the top flight and the step up in both money and players was huge, I think it would be very difficult to try and stay up as a newly promoted side.

So I started looking at the job market to see if anything popped up. I saw Dalian Professional Fc or DL Pro for short. They are a top flight Chinese side who had just parted company with none other than Rafa Benitez, they had an ok season last year and are predicted to finish mid table this season, interestingly they were only 2 star rep(I'm at nearly 2 star rep as well now). I decided to apply for the job but carry on at Steenberg in case nothing came of it, I was offered an interview, which is further than I get with most job and to my amazement two weeks later I was offered the job.

2089362345_DLProoffer.thumb.jpg.3403d465f69ca4fb0ffce69777b40093.jpg

Those budgets already look fun, in my whole career I don't think I've ever even paid a transfer fee but now I'm trusted with £85 mil and £2 mil a week, YES A WEEK, in wage budget. Hopefully this may provide a chance to compete in the Asian Champions league a few years down the line.

Luke Fox

Dalian Professional FC

2021 / 2022

956799543_DLPRO.png.4d02122a9919d5bc1678e12c257884bb.png

3 hours ago, Siepe1990 said:

A first Copa America for Venezuela is some effort.

Sounds like a tactical masterclass, set out to frustrate and take it to the lottery of penalties and managed come out on top. Congrats mate.

Blues Traveler

Sputnik Rechitsa 2020

FC_Sputnik_Rechitsa_Logo.png.908f0b60051c1ae6d4e317d48183f373.png

For my first role, I relocated from the U.S. to Belarus to take over a team picked to finish third in the Belarus First League, but one on an 11-match winless streak in league play.

Before taking over: 2-5-9 (11 points in 16 matches)

After taking over (before Volna Pinsk on 8/29/20): 1-4-5 (7 points in 10 matches). At least we started scoring goals.

2020rechitsafixtures.thumb.jpg.73c05573cfd3ad8ba5039c6e92befd05.jpg

The good news: Most of the squad was on contracts expiring in December 2020, so I can pick and choose who to keep. Spent much of these first 10 games bringing in young players on trials to decide who to bring in. The Belarus First League requires you to have two U-20 players on the field and four in the squad for every match. This squad was thin on top prospects and those two spots were liabilities most of the time. This offseason will be an opportunity to resolve that. 

2020belarustable.thumb.jpg.e863da7a804c34f6a97b51c215f5b84f.jpg

If anybody has started a new save on the full version and has established what is the maximum reputation level of clubs you can can get a first job with, I'd be grateful f you'd send me a pm.

It will be interesting to see if it's changed.

On the whole, I try to avoid giving 'spoilers' like this on the main thread, although we obviously did discuss it during the beta, and whether it was a bug.

18 hours ago, libbyshuss said:

that doesn't sound good - what was your manager rep after winning the eredivisie?

oh, and congrats on promotion AND that Venezuela win!

My Rep was 35% after winning the Eredivisie. Only jobs I got offered were 3rd tier or below, no club on the 2nd or 1st tier wanted me - I did only have the 'top nations' loaded besides Holland, but still, would've expected at least something, but didn't even get interviews before the Crystal Palace / Sunderland ones.

Thanks, completely amazed still by that win with Venezuela... Never in a million years expected that, might be one of the biggest surprises for me in FM ever...

16 hours ago, MShing said:

Congratulations on winning the Copa with Venezuela, great achievement that is.

Would you be tempted to jump ship from Palace if an established premier league team came available or would you be loyal and see how well that squad could do?

Thanks, completely amazing indeed - one of my most surprising wins ever in FM.

Regarding Palace: difficult... I'm not expecting them to pull any strings really, definitely don't think they will be ready for a Premier League challenge anywhere in the coming 3-5 years at least.

If one of the top 5/6/7 teams would become available, I would be tempted to apply for sure - not sure they'd take me, but I just got my Continental C License, so who knows...

16 hours ago, lukefox44 said:

A first Copa America for Venezuela is some effort.

Sounds like a tactical masterclass, set out to frustrate and take it to the lottery of penalties and managed come out on top. Congrats mate.

Thanks, nice to read the words 'Tactical Masterclass' there :cool::brock:

I apologise for being a bad thread host and not constantly responding to all your progress. 

All I can say is that after 6 years, you start to feel like you're repeating yourself. 

However, while FM21 is downloading (the importance of which is somewhat lessened by my still on the FM20 challenge)...

@Siepe1990 Congrats on the Copa. You know I'm not sure I've ever had a win on this challenge to rival that. Frankly I tend to rarely deviate from low hanging fruit, and hen I did in this challenge (with Switzerland) I left dodge once I realised how rubbish they were. (But they were really bad). I think I won the Confederations Cup with Mexico once. 

I certainly shut up shop from time to time once 1-0 up with a cup I absolutely need to win. 

@fromcoystocottbus Kind of makes me want to manage in Belarus. (I never have), but they only have 1 cup, so it won't be this challenge. Nothing worse than being crippled by league restrictions in an unfamiliar league, and not being able to do anything about it until the next transfer window, 

At my new club, I had a choice in a vital cup fixture. Play my best goalkeeper (who is foreign) and have absolutely no cover on the subs bench in the event of injury, or play safe with my backup goalie who is almost as good, but a little lacking match fitness. Either way, I cannot put out a full subs bench. (I mean I could have an extra 16 year old goalie, but I think by that point I'd be doomed).

It worked out ok though for that fixture. My run of what I acknowledge much look like an unlikely run of success is still ongoing. I promise I'm not cheating in order to complete the challenge. I'd rather not complete it than cheat, although obviously I'm hoping that my self-defined 'clean' attempt at the challenge will soon be at an end. 

@libbyshuss Good luck with Nigeria. I often seem to have problems with the ACON, but i don't know why. Given that my (essentially downloaded) tactics should give me the edge over similar quality teams, it should be easy. Of course I've only failed once in this save, but believe me. I have lost a lot of ACONs. I tjink it was 7 or 8 in a row, but that's not the challenge record.

@lukefox44 So I think I've missed something in your previous updates, (About to reveal how little I carefully study updates). The 1 year contract is a league requirement in South Africa? I thought that people were just saying that individual (presumably those of humble means) or ambitious players were insisting on it. 

Anyway, you're in my old home of Dalian now. Do you know, I could never find their ground. Nobody in the city seemed entirely sure where exactly it was. Nobody had ever actually been to a game there. Honestly, the stadium should have been findable. I mean, it's a stadium. It's not like trying to find a tiny little shed. It's a huge stadium, but no. Simply couldn't find it. I wouldn't overstate how hard I tried. I did watch Chinese football on TV, and believe me, that can really sap the enthusiasm. The only enjoyable Chinese football is on FM.

@MShing Congrats on your success in S Africa. Always a relief to get that CL out of the way.

@danielclouston1 Welcome to the challenge. Did you get a job?

@dannyh_22  Sucks to stay for a cup you don't win. Sucks to fall too far behind on your cups, though I think I'm demonstrating how easy it is to swoop in for cups. Well, I've done it once. Still in the middle of the second swoop. Hopefully good news soon.

Edited by vikeologist

27 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

I apologise for being a bad thread host and not constantly responding to all your progress. 

All I can say is that after 6 years, you start to feel like you're repeating yourself. 

However, while FM21 is downloading (the importance of which is somewhat lessened by my still on the FM20 challenge)...

@Siepe1990 Congrats on the Copa. You know I'm not sure I've ever had a win on this challenge to rival that. Frankly I tend to rarely deviate from low hanging fruit, and hen I did in this challenge (with Switzerland) I left dodge once I realised how rubbish they were. (But they were really bad). I think I won the Confederations Cup with Mexico once. 

I certainly shut up shop from time to time once 1-0 up with a cup I absolutely need to win. 

@fromcoystocottbus Kind of makes me want to manage in Belarus. (I never have), but they only have 1 cup, so it won't be this challenge. Nothing worse than being crippled by league restrictions in an unfamiliar league, and not being able to do anything about it until the next transfer window, 

At my new club, I had a choice in a vital cup fixture. Play my best goalkeeper (who is foreign) and have absolutely no cover on the subs bench in the event of injury, or play safe with my backup goalie who is almost as good, but a little lacking match fitness. Either way, I cannot put out a full subs bench. (I mean I could have an extra 16 year old goalie, but I think by that point I'd be doomed).

It worked out ok though for that fixture. My run of what I acknowledge much look like an unlikely run of success is still ongoing. I promise I'm not cheating in order to complete the challenge. I'd rather not complete it than cheat, although obviously I'm hoping that my self-defined 'clean' attempt at the challenge will soon be at an end. 

@libbyshuss Good luck with Nigeria. I often seem to have problems with the ACON, but i don't know why. Given that my (essentially downloaded) tactics should give me the edge over similar quality teams, it should be easy. Of course I've only failed once in this save, but believe me. I have lost a lot of ACONs. I tjink it was 7 or 8 in a row, but that's not the challenge record.

@lukefox44 So I think I've missed something in your previous updates, (About to reveal how little I carefully study updates). The 1 year contract is a league requirement in South Africa? I thought that people were just saying that individual (presumably those of humble means) or ambitious players were insisting on it. 

Anyway, you're in my old home of Dalian now. Do you know, I could never find their ground. Nobody in the city seemed entirely sure where exactly it was. Nobody had ever actually been to a game there. Honestly, the stadium should have been findable. I mean, it's a stadium. It's not like trying to find a tiny little shed. It's a huge stadium, but no. Simply couldn't find it. I wouldn't overstate how hard I tried. I did watch Chinese football on TV, and believe me, that can really sap the enthusiasm. The only enjoyable Chinese football is on FM.

@MShing Congrats on your success in S Africa. Always a relief to get that CL out of the way.

@dannyh_22  Sucks to stay for a cup you don't win. Sucks to fall too far behind on your cups, though I think I'm demonstrating how easy it is to swoop in for cups. Well, I've done it once. Still in the middle of the second swoop. Hopefully good news soon.

Not yet mate. I decided to have a crack at the youth challenge first because I feel this challenge will take me longer so will do it second. I'll give the other one 2 shots first, if I get sacked etc before moving on to this challenge 👍

3 hours ago, vikeologist said:

The good news here is the contract situations made it fairly simple to build around the league restrictions after finishing that partial season. That, plus my board nearly doubled my payroll budget in the offseason (not that there's a lot of talent interested in playing in the Belarus First League, but we were able to bring in some young players with potential/a couple players with a track record of success at this level). 

I saved right before starting preseason camp and we're predicted to finish third (which would be a playoff promotion spot)! Not a bad turnaround, talent-wise, for a team that finished near relegation. Excited to start this season.

1024px-RSC_Anderlecht_logo_svg.png.9a88afc7d1e0275faa5a89c52f0e8979.png

Season 5 (2024/25)

Anderlecht

After coming so close last season I was quietly optimisitic as the season kicked off. That lasted one game as we lost our opener at home to Euppen. We struggled a bit for a the first few weeks with injuries and form but once we kicked into gear there was no stopping us. Our promising kids became wonderkids, the best one being one of my old Serbian teenagers I'd given a debut to.

I got him for 4m as well, bargain!

Spoiler

25ulicevic.thumb.JPG.7a950f6f76302f454bc239a5c77c119b.JPG

By the end of the regular season we were top by a long way and went into the championship group as favourites

25finalleaguetable.JPG.1771e7ef2f4692ba1821059650ac1bbf.JPG

Championship Group started like this. No problem, we can't screw it up 2 years running, surely?

25champiosnshipgroupstart.JPG.50b7a44a06808f1084b15a9d5e475555.JPG

well.... this was the first match....

25champgame1.JPG.d42cf66d7c57a2590969da5134542954.JPG

unbelievable. we had 19 shots, they had 2. Right when it matters the most we start to bottle it.....

Our next game was against Brugge who were now only 4 points behind us. Lose, and the gap would be 1. It was a cracking game and we managed to just to get past them 4-3. We played really well as well and were now 7 points clear with only 4 to play. Suddenly things werebn't looking so bad after all. 

From then Brugges' form turned to poop and we won 3 and drew 1 of the next 4 to saunter home, despite losing our striker to a damaged cruciate in training straight after the Brugges game

We didn't win the cup so the question now is do I hang around and try and win the cup or move on? They're a great young team here but i've got 31 competitions left to try and win!

25seasonsummary.thumb.JPG.da1274f57102977c54dc4e60092464d4.JPG

Career Summary

25career.JPG.66329f40f3765b57a29bccb4c24c71a3.JPG

Challenge Progress

25challenge.JPG.5940b28ea41317be18d61d67b6913d96.JPG

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

I was talking to @_JHTB_ about it and probably forgot it in updates to be fair haha. But yeah second tier in South Africa a league rule is max one year contract for every single player in the division. It makes for a crazy transfer window. I had about 20 leave on free's and the same amount in, makes it relatively simple to a title challenging side.

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@lukefox44

Yeah you'd of thought someone somewhere could of pointed in the right direction. Just had a quick google and it looks look a pretty nice city as well.

To be honest I'm starting to wish I didnt find the ground in FM, the early stages are not going great. Maybe they've managed to capture the realistic feeling of dullness you had watching it.

Vikeologist's 2054 Kedah Malaysian Cup Cup Report

image.jpeg.bef962bf7a7a5db027ef08ac211f9664.jpeg

My last 2 cups turned out to be fairly easy to obtain.

After taking over Hibs in time for the League Cup final,  I obtained my last in Malaysia.

Malaysia has 2 cups, but the Malaysia Cup is at the end of the season, and I took over half ay through the group stage, meaning I had no league matches to bother with.

Kelah are one of the 3 big sides in Malaysia. It wasn’t easy. I struggled to find players worth putting on the sub’s bench. We had players on international duty early on. Basically the team wasn’t great.

The final was a tense affair. 0-0 until midway through the second half, when we finally scored, and then when they abandoned their defensive approach, almost instantly scored a 2nd on the counter. However they pulled one back to make the end of the match tense.

Still, who cares? The domestic side of the challenge is now complete, quickly and painlessly.

No top scorers or MVPs. I was only in charge for 8 matches, all of them the cup. Forget knowing the names of the players. I got the name of the team wrong when I started typing out the report. Twice. If I want to change the name of the city to Kelah, I should be allowed to.

I do have an African job, South Africa obtained after the 2054 World Cup, which means that in just  few short months I have the ACON, and the chance to complete the challenge. I’m adding the South African league back, which if worse comes to worse means that some African nations should eventually become playable again. I need to have at least one nation loaded, and by next summer, if the challenge goes that far, it will be just S Africa.

I have enough bad history with the ACON to be very far from confident.

My chances of topping the hall of fame have taken a big hit, as I have now fallen from 2nd to 3rd, overtaken by a Dominic Tadesco, the manager of Real Madrid, who has won the Champions League 9 out of the last 12 seasons there.

Domestic
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League
2037	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Leandro Mederos (MC)		Took over after 17 matches in 8th. Won league. CL S/F
2038	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Ley (DC)			League, Libertadores and the pursuit of happiness. Sorry, I mean the Brazilian Cup.
39/40	OM		French 1st		1st		Batata (SC)			League. Knocked out of Frech Cup on penalties. 
2043	SIPG		Chinese SL		2nd		Anderson Omar (MC)		Took over after 13 matches. ACL S/F
2044	SIPG		Chinese SL		1st		Ninja (SC)			League, cup, Champions League triple, Unbeaten league season.
2045	America		Mexican Opening		13th						Took over after 14 matches in 17th place (of 20). Won all 5 remaining matches
2047	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Misael Hernández (SC)		League and NACL winners
46/47	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	3rd						Took over in 3rd with 3 games to go. 
47/48	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Tshidiso Zimu (ML/C)		League, Super 8, K/O Cup, SA Cup, Confederations Cup. Everything basically.
48/49	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Siphamandla Mlungwana (AMC)	Won everything (apart from the CWC) again, this time including the Champions League.
50/51	Slovan 		Slovak 1st		5th						Took over with 8 matches remaining in 6th. Won the Euro League II Playoff.
51/52	Slovan 		Slovak 1st		1st		Matías Bessone (SC)		Fantastic all seson apart from a disasterous S/F 1st leg saw us crash out.
53/54	Hibernian	SPL									Manager for 4 matches culminating in Betfred Cup win.	
2054	Kedah		Malaysian SuperLeague							Won Malaysian Cup					

International
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying. Quit shortly afterwards.
					World Cup 3rd Round
46-47	Switzerland
					Euros			Blaz Ribic (GK)
54-	South Africa

Challenge Progress 31/32

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, France, Italy, China, Mexico, South Africa, Slovakia)			
 10/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, China, South Africa, Slovakia, Scotland, Malaysia)						

International
 1/1 World Cup		

Played a few games in Canada and really didn't enjoy the start so I've restarted again

However a few months in and I've been offered the Wigan job in League One with a rep of 2.5 stars.  Sounds rather high so I am going to wait do decide whether to take it or not.

200px-Esporte_Clube_Bahia_logo_svg.png.18783b35e5848f48b4ec75ebe4d586b3.png

Things didn't go to plan in Perth. I met all the board targets but in order to improve I needed to clear some deadwood from the playing squad. Unfortunately this deadwood is apparently load bearing, as when I tried to remove it the whole thing came tumbling down and I lost the dressing room pretty significantly. Knowing how hard this game is even when you keep morale up, I decided to jump before I was pushed, despite some nice youth signings I'd made.

I left the game on holiday and advised to apply for top division jobs only. I got an interview at Banfield in Argentina's Premier Division, but was unsuccessful. Later I was offered an interview with Bahia in the Brazilian top flight, and the fact I speak Portugues from my time at Vitoria de Setubal must have given me the edge and I was offered the job.

Board expectations were to avoid relegation, and then become and established Serie A team. The top flight season had about 10 matches remaining, and I won enough to finish 13th, which qualified me for the Copa Sudamericana.

For those that haven't managed in Brazil before, there are no shortage of competitions. I will be competing for 5 trophies in the 2026 calendar year. I am expected to win the Bahia State league, finish mid table in the Serie A, get through the group stage of the Copa Sudamericana, reach the final of the Copa do Nordeste and reach the fourth round of the Copa do Brasil.

For the purposes of this challenge I think only the Serie A and the Copa do Brasil matter, as the major continental competition is the Copa Libertadores.

Brazil is an amazing place to manage, the quality of player there is so high, and there are always amazing youth players available for transfer from even the smallest clubs.

Bahia has produced 5 players that are still in their teens that I use in my best 11, and I've purchased another one. So hopefully I can challenge for the cup and maybe even the league if things go my way, though I don't really expect I'll win trophies here, I am mostly hoping to be offered a job at one of the big South American clubs like Santos or Boca.

58469071_200px-Logo_Federacin_de_Ftbol_de_Chile.png.928760b376b4e4b58b3fef3997e20b03.png

Surprisingly, I was also offered the job as manager of Chile, who finished dead last in the 2026 WC qualifications. I've since added the Chile league structure to increase my player selection pool and I am quietly hopeful that I could win the 2028 Copa America.

Edited by Phelix

2 hours ago, vikeologist said:

After taking over Hibs in time for the League Cup final,  I obtained my last in Malaysia.

Malaysia has 2 cups, but the Malaysia Cup is at the end of the season, and I took over half ay through the group stage, meaning I had no league matches to bother with.

Kelah are one of the 3 big sides in Malaysia. It wasn’t easy. I struggled to find players worth putting on the sub’s bench. We had players on international duty early on. Basically the team wasn’t great.

The final was a tense affair. 0-0 until midway through the second half, when we finally scored, and then when they abandoned their defensive approach, almost instantly scored a 2nd on the counter. However they pulled one back to make the end of the match tense.

Still, who cares? The domestic side of the challenge is now complete, quickly and painlessly.

No top scorers or MVPs. I was only in charge for 8 matches, all of them the cup. Forget knowing the names of the players. I got the name of the team wrong when I started typing out the report. Twice. If I want to change the name of the city to Kelah, I should be allowed to.

I do have an African job, South Africa obtained after the 2054 World Cup, which means that in just  few short months I have the ACON, and the chance to complete the challenge. I’m adding the South African league back, which if worse comes to worse means that some African nations should eventually become playable again. I need to have at least one nation loaded, and by next summer, if the challenge goes that far, it will be just S Africa.

My chances of topping the hall of fame have taken a big hit, as I have now fallen from 2nd to 3rd, overtaken by a Dominic Tadesco, the manager of Real Madrid, who has won the Champions League 9 out of the last 12 seasons there.

Domestic

International
					World Cup 3rd Round
46-47	Switzerland
					Euros			Blaz Ribic (GK)
54-	South Africa

Challenge Progress 31/32

Club
 10/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, China, South Africa, Slovakia, Scotland, Malaysia)						

International
 1/1 World Cup		

So close now, wish you good luck for the ACON.

On 23/11/2020 at 18:07, lukefox44 said:

Luke Fox

Steenberg United 

2021 / 2022

Steenberg-United.png.c8992914017ccd09aab5d9b77dbaab14.png

With the good finish to last season I was excited to give our first full season at Steenberg a real good go. I planned on making a few signings but trying to keep the core of the team the same and hopefully that would carry over the momentum and atmosphere at the club.

1798675508_Steenberg2ndtransfers.thumb.jpg.bde3261356709e4c6af0c5c0ad6c869b.jpg

As you can see that plan went out the window pretty quickly. The one year max contract length rule in the league made it the busiest transfer window I ever had. A combination of players not wanting to sign new deals and the sheer number of players available on free who were better than we currently had led to a massive overhaul of the squad. We released everyone other than 5 or 6 key players from the season before, there were some players I wanted to keep but the wage demands were too high and replacements at the same if not better level were available for less. As you can see it wasn't only us making a massive change to the squad, around half the teams made at least 10 transfers, admittedly we made over 20 and 8 more than the second most from a team. 

With my brand new squad I was confident of a good season. The first 7 or 8 games were a real mixed bag, but with a whole new squad that was expected until we improved the team cohesion. We dominated possession in almost every game we played, sometimes having as much as 75% of the ball. However early on we drew and even lost a few games we were in complete control, we didnt seem to be able to break down teams who just sat behind the ball. We had no real cutting edge.

This was the 5th game of the season and it was the story of our early season form. (We normally played a less aggressive formation, this was just chasing the game late)

1959268022_Steenberg2ndexampleloss.thumb.jpg.2503200213ff2936c040b23b11cbc39d.jpg

However once the team cohesion improved and we tweaked the tactic to give us more threat we looked a lot better. We then went on a really good run of form, we have won 10 consecutive competitive games (2 cup games) and were flying high. Against the teams we were expected to beat we would have 65% of the ball and win easily 3 or 4 -0 but against the other top teams it was different. We had results like 4-2, 5-3 and 6-2 against other teams at the top of the table, the increased space allowed us to create way more chances but left us more open at the back.

The league table as we went into the winter break.1217532885_Steenberg2ndtable.thumb.jpg.08fbbe7d3f11f6bcb44c4f4c0edafdcd.jpg

We were playing incredible football and like I said had won 10 in a row, after just beating Jomo Cosmos 6-2, things were going very well in every way other than the finances .

994575369_Steenberg2ndfinances.thumb.jpg.072107858385e9b46da369721597026a.jpg

Admittedly I was over spending on wages by a far lot, the finances in this league were not sustainable, the income is not enough and the prize money is next to nothing unless you win the league. Which I'm sure we will, but it wouldn't make a dent in the debt we would be by next season. All this whilst also trying to improve the squad to hopefully compete in the top division of South Africa. I had looked at the top flight and the step up in both money and players was huge, I think it would be very difficult to try and stay up as a newly promoted side.

So I started looking at the job market to see if anything popped up. I saw Dalian Professional Fc or DL Pro for short. They are a top flight Chinese side who had just parted company with none other than Rafa Benitez, they had an ok season last year and are predicted to finish mid table this season, interestingly they were only 2 star rep(I'm at nearly 2 star rep as well now). I decided to apply for the job but carry on at Steenberg in case nothing came of it, I was offered an interview, which is further than I get with most job and to my amazement two weeks later I was offered the job.

2089362345_DLProoffer.thumb.jpg.3403d465f69ca4fb0ffce69777b40093.jpg

Those budgets already look fun, in my whole career I don't think I've ever even paid a transfer fee but now I'm trusted with £85 mil and £2 mil a week, YES A WEEK, in wage budget. Hopefully this may provide a chance to compete in the Asian Champions league a few years down the line.

Luke Fox

Dalian Professional FC

2021 / 2022

956799543_DLPRO.png.4d02122a9919d5bc1678e12c257884bb.png

Funny that you state about the tactics you show half-way "We normally played a less aggressive formation, this was just chasing the game late". I can tell you: exactly that formation is my base formation I've used so far on every team - yes, even with Venezuela, although admittedly I changed to a 4-1-2-2-1 (changing a ST for a DM) after the group stage, which is the formation I use when I think I'm really going to be outclassed.

Congrats on the new job in China, those budgets are looking mighty fine - hopefully you'll be able to pick up a league or a cup!

13 hours ago, libbyshuss said:

1024px-RSC_Anderlecht_logo_svg.png.9a88afc7d1e0275faa5a89c52f0e8979.png

Season 5 (2024/25)

Anderlecht

After coming so close last season I was quietly optimisitic as the season kicked off. That lasted one game as we lost our opener at home to Euppen. We struggled a bit for a the first few weeks with injuries and form but once we kicked into gear there was no stopping us. Our promising kids became wonderkids, the best one being one of my old Serbian teenagers I'd given a debut to.

I got him for 4m as well, bargain!

Reveal hidden contents

25ulicevic.thumb.JPG.7a950f6f76302f454bc239a5c77c119b.JPG

By the end of the regular season we were top by a long way and went into the championship group as favourites

25finalleaguetable.JPG.1771e7ef2f4692ba1821059650ac1bbf.JPG

Championship Group started like this. No problem, we can't screw it up 2 years running, surely?

25champiosnshipgroupstart.JPG.50b7a44a06808f1084b15a9d5e475555.JPG

well.... this was the first match....

25champgame1.JPG.d42cf66d7c57a2590969da5134542954.JPG

unbelievable. we had 19 shots, they had 2. Right when it matters the most we start to bottle it.....

Our next game was against Brugge who were now only 4 points behind us. Lose, and the gap would be 1. It was a cracking game and we managed to just to get past them 4-3. We played really well as well and were now 7 points clear with only 4 to play. Suddenly things werebn't looking so bad after all. 

From then Brugges' form turned to poop and we won 3 and drew 1 of the next 4 to saunter home, despite losing our striker to a damaged cruciate in training straight after the Brugges game

We didn't win the cup so the question now is do I hang around and try and win the cup or move on? They're a great young team here but i've got 31 competitions left to try and win!

25seasonsummary.thumb.JPG.da1274f57102977c54dc4e60092464d4.JPG

Career Summary

25career.JPG.66329f40f3765b57a29bccb4c24c71a3.JPG

Challenge Progress

25challenge.JPG.5940b28ea41317be18d61d67b6913d96.JPG

Congrats on your first trophy (well, the first one that counts for the challenge at least)! Difficult choice, staying for the cup or leaving - what's your reputation like? Would you be able to attract some nice teams?

18 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Thanks for that mate - it was a ridiculous win really, don't think I've ever been this happy with a FM-win in my life - and I've been playing this beauty since 02/03 :).

10 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Domestic

International
					World Cup 3rd Round
46-47	Switzerland
					Euros			Blaz Ribic (GK)
54-	South Africa

Challenge Progress 31/32

Club

International
 1/1 World Cup		

Congrats on checking off the Domestic side of the challenge - surely, South Africa should be able to win the ACON? Good luck!

4 hours ago, Siepe1990 said:

Funny that you state about the tactics you show half-way "We normally played a less aggressive formation, this was just chasing the game late". I can tell you: exactly that formation is my base formation I've used so far on every team - yes, even with Venezuela, although admittedly I changed to a 4-1-2-2-1 (changing a ST for a DM) after the group stage, which is the formation I use when I think I'm really going to be outclassed.

That's pretty much what I do. One of those 2 forwards is normally a DM in a tight game or AM in a game I expect to win. Whenever I've shifted to the 4-2-4 out of desperation I've never managed to get it to work to be honest.

Congrats on the new job in China, those budgets are looking mighty fine - hopefully you'll be able to pick up a league or a cup!

Cheers mate, it's not going to be as easy as I assumed when I saw the budgets though.

The 4 foreign player rule means chinese players cost an absolutle arm and a leg, I expected the prices to be inflated but it's crazy. I had to pay £15m for a 19 year old defensive midfielder who hadn't even made a first team appearance yet for a mid table side. All the half decent chinese lads are at the big clubs and wont even considerer joining.

Think this season might be a mid table finish and hopefully next year I can get rid of my ageing foreigners and bring in better quality.

15 hours ago, vikeologist said:

One to go, good luck mate.

Hows the squad looking? You in with a chance ?

17 minutes ago, lukefox44 said:

The 4 foreign player rule means chinese players cost an absolutle arm and a leg, I expected the prices to be inflated but it's crazy. I had to pay £15m for a 19 year old defensive midfielder who hadn't even made a first team appearance yet for a mid table side. All the half decent chinese lads are at the big clubs and wont even considerer joining

I was going to mention that your transfer budget wouldn't stretch that far as you'd spend most of it on players who aren't worth anywhere near the amount signed for but just because they are Chinese. 

surely, South Africa should be able to win the ACON?

There's no should in this challenge I've learned, on FM20 the closest I came to international trophy was with Haiti, even though I managed South Korea in the Asian Cup who on paper should have easily won the competition.

18 minutes ago, lukefox44 said:

One to go, good luck mate.

Hows the squad looking? You in with a chance ?

Playing the tournament now. 

As would be expected my squad had / has weaknesses, but I didn't have any injuries leading up to the tournament. My goalies are good, and I susally find that's incredibly helpful at the international level.

I'll paste what would have been my prelim for the report in an attempt to up the interest.

After my recent winning spree of winning the last 3 domestic cups and the Euros, one might be mistaken for thinking I’d be optimistic, but some of those recent wins almost didn’t happen, not least the Euros where I made it through the group stage in 3rd place on goals scored. That’s how close I was to quitting the challenge.

The ACON has long been my Achilles heel. Looks like I failed to win it 11 times in a row until I achieved it in a FM18 attempt at this challenge.

Hopefully I won’t exceed that.

I have to get to the final to avoid being sacked.

Our main threats. Well, Morocco and Nigeria seem a bit tasty, but as always, so many teams all on pretty much the same level.

6 hours ago, Siepe1990 said:

Difficult choice, staying for the cup or leaving - what's your reputation like? Would you be able to attract some nice teams?

it's up to 60% so 3 stars, which is pretty good. So i threw my hat into the ring for a few jobs, including South Africa, and got turned down. So I'm still in Belgium and going for the cup!

Weirdly, I haven't been approached by any clubs so far this save. Usually i get a few offers my way after 5 seasons in.

Vikeologist's 2055 South Africa ACON Report

See the source image

Group Stage

Spoiler

South Africa            7-0     Burkina Faso

South Africa            6-0     Mali

South Africa            3-2     Zambia

I played mostly my backups for the final match and instant resulted, so I’m not too worried.

Next up Zimbabwe, which is a match that I’m 99.99% I could instant result, but you’ll understand that I’m not going to do that.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa            5-0     Zimbabwe

Strong chance I’m getting lulled into a false sense of complacency, but with Guinea next I’m not really having a tough draw so far. The aforementioned Morocco and Nigeria meet in another QF, having already had to remove a couple of minor contenders from the board in the form of Mali and Ghana.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa            4-0     Guinea

My old team Ivory Coast next. They needed penalties in the QF.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa            2-3     Ivory Coast

We were 2-1 up midway through the second half in a very tight match but then

Stupid own goal.

Straight red for the player who’d just scored the stupid own goal

Another straight red.

Another own goal.

Conceded a penalty, which we saved to prolong the inevitable.

Once we down to 9 men it was all over.

Amazing how quickly it can all go wrong.

It’s hard to be sure, but probably my most disastrous match ever in FM. I’m sure there were worse ones, but I’ve managed to erase them in my memory in the manner that I hopefully will be able to do in this case.

3rd Place Playoff / Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa            3-2     Senegal

After The Tournament

Spoiler

I managed to avoid the sack, and I’m happy to stay with South Africa. Although the squad has no players under 25, and no promising young players at all, that might change when I add the South African league back. Basically nearly the entire squad is about 29 / 29 years old. We’re at the very broken stage of the game.

5 minutes ago, libbyshuss said:

good luck!!!

Couldn't you have posted that half an hour ago? :(

Domestic

International
					World Cup 3rd Round
46-47	Switzerland
					Euros			Blaz Ribic (GK)
54-	South Africa			Lost in ACON S/F thanks to 2 straight reds and 2 own goals.

Challenge Progress 31/32

Club

International
 1/1 World Cup