What does the setting "Speed to Process other teams' Matches" do?

• Administrators

Just quickens up the speed matches are played in the background, which enables the game to process faster. However in doing so, if you need to stop the game processing by interrupting by clicking the [Browse] button which appears in the bottom right, it's harder to do so and less responsive.

Hope that makes sense. 

• 3 months later...
On 24/03/2021 at 18:38, Neil Brock said:

Just quickens up the speed matches are played in the background, which enables the game to process faster. However in doing so, if you need to stop the game processing by interrupting by clicking the [Browse] button which appears in the bottom right, it's harder to do so and less responsive.

Hope that makes sense. 

Hi, apologies in advance if I should have created a new thread instead of reviving this one, but the OP asked the exact question I had, so I figured I'd ask here for additional clarification. I was under the impression that "Slow (Play in background)" was the only way to have matches processed whilst browsing other parts of the game (like setting tactics or reviewing matches for analysis). However, your response there does make it sound like clicking on the "Browse" button simply stops processing altogether. Am I misunderstanding? Is there no way of having matches process whilst, indeed, "browsing" in the game?

Thanks!

Maybe think of it like a train. A train that has fewer stops can go faster because it doesn't have to worry about hitting the brakes as often. The downside is that there are fewer places where you can get off the train. That's what "less responsive" means. To further the analogy, @Cydver, a train cannot go while you are at the stop. So, no, the game cannot let you browse and process matches at the same time. I'm sure it's possible to build a game that way. But that's not how FM was built, probably because the things you would be doing during your "browsing" may affect the game world that is processing. It would be like doing part 2 of a math problem when part 1 isn't done yet. When the game world is processing, it is doing more than just simulating matches. If I don't have that right, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will amend.

1 hour ago, WizbaII said:

Maybe think of it like a train. A train that has fewer stops can go faster because it doesn't have to worry about hitting the brakes as often. The downside is that there are fewer places where you can get off the train. That's what "less responsive" means. To further the analogy, @Cydver, a train cannot go while you are at the stop. So, no, the game cannot let you browse and process matches at the same time. I'm sure it's possible to build a game that way. But that's not how FM was built, probably because the things you would be doing during your "browsing" may affect the game world that is processing. It would be like doing part 2 of a math problem when part 1 isn't done yet. When the game world is processing, it is doing more than just simulating matches. If I don't have that right, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will amend.

Thank you, that's a very apt and precise analogy indeed! I believe that's pretty much how I'd understood things as a teenager playing FM in simpler times, but my recent interest in running almost every league in full detail has led me to explore various rabbit holes in pursuit of greater processing speed, and it appears my overthinking has in turn clouded my understanding of the game's engine. Your explanation is much appreciated.

Really enjoyed your stylish explication of this otherwise simple concept, by the way!

5 hours ago, WizbaII said:

Isn't solving simultaneous equations and Integrating by parts have to do with doing a different part while the preceding part isn't done yet?

Edited by samuelawachie
Typo

I for one would really like it if I could browse stats and league tables and scout for players while the game was processing matches and events, it's certainly technically possible though it might be difficult due to the legacy codebase. The game would feel so much less slow and it would make playing a huge game with tons of leagues so much less of a chore.

One thing I have realized is that there are some players who try to buy the cheapest computer that will specifically run FM, so I'm sure that would make SI hesitate before changing how the game world processes. And let's not pretend that it would not require a lot of work on SI's part as well. But, yes, I would love it if those with high-end computers could have a choice to do certain things while the game is processing. It would be nice to have an "natural" incentive to be looking at all those league stats, who trained well during the week, etc. Much better than just sitting there, waiting for the processing to be done. A quiet moment for those poor souls who don't know you can play FM on windowed mode... 

I would like to play such that I can click spacebar/continue 7-10 times a ingame week instead of 50 times a week (via news, inbox, todays fixtures and then process a little bit... repeat) What setting should I choose on FM20?

4 hours ago, Speedyol said:

I would like to play such that I can click spacebar/continue 7-10 times a ingame week instead of 50 times a week (via news, inbox, todays fixtures and then process a little bit... repeat) What setting should I choose on FM20?

It wont solve everything, but if you want things to go faster I'd advise you to go into preferences, search for screen flow and click it. From there untick the "Visit News Screen Automatically". That removed a fair few clicks and stops.

image.png.c482c740f09c6b2dcf58584b750234df.png

image.png.863099a4eb2b2e8cc1d3171affadffd0.png

I also like to change the Continue Game Timeout from 'Disabled' to 'Instant'. It makes the game world stop processing only for things I must deal with, such as confirming a transfer or interacting with the board. You will miss things though, so it's not for everyone.