Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, WelshMourinho said:

I think the games problems really do get highlighted when regens kick in. They're like superheroes. I've got a winger right now who's 6'1 with 16 acceleration. I don't think there's many fbs in the game who'll be able to cope with him lurking at the back post. Still common at the beginning of the game of course, but regens come in and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

re: regens. I'm happy to go with that thinking, but it has to come from the AI too, and I think that's where the game lacks for me. Their decision making is absolutely horrendous and it's hard to see a point where they'll be able to intelligently retrain players. The ones they do retrain end up being bonkers anyway.

It's a bit like letting your DOF do transfers for you. No matter what his attributes are, he could be 20 in all the vital ones, he'll still go out and sign rubbish players, or low PA players, or players that plainly don't fit the system. It's a difficult one, and right now is probably the main reason why there are some on the forum claiming the game is "too easy". 

The human player can only do so much.

Absolutely!! One thing I noticed with FB's in FM20 was they were all sub 6 foot, I'm not long enough into an FM21 save to notice but I guess it's not changed much so your 6"1 striker will have a field day 

I'm not even sure if the AI retrain their players, I've never noticed, I'm sure they do be maybe not enough

On 24/03/2021 at 14:37, StewG said:

Loving the game this year. Only thing is my wing backs getting to the byline in space and waiting until they get closed down :herman:

I dont know what happened as I didn't change any instructions but my wing backs are now crossing and creating plenty of goals and chances. Maybe they read this forum :lol: The only difference I can think of is that team cohesion is now maxed out.

29 minutes ago, madskull.93 said:

Hi all, came back to play FM after some months, is it just me or now there are less central-through passes and central forwards score less?

I haven't seen anything missing with through balls personally. Also, I still see the same amount of goals. The top scorer in my game (not my player!) have 36 league goals in 25 league matches...

image.png.56c66ba7c8691d19a4078031dd084f40.png

26 minutes ago, XaW said:

I haven't seen anything missing with through balls personally. Also, I still see the same amount of goals. The top scorer in my game (not my player!) have 36 league goals in 25 league matches...

image.png.56c66ba7c8691d19a4078031dd084f40.png

Vow he's on fire!

5 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

Vow he's on fire!

Yeah, he's quite too good for this league, and I think he will leave soon, thankfully! He put 4 in against my in my latest match against them. My pay-as-you-play defenders didn't stand a chance!

The AI does retrain players, but the issue is that they don't retrain players to fit their systems, they retrain players if their "best"  role is in a different position. So a somewhat technical CB? Retrained out wide as he's like half a star better at FB(D) or something. Offensive fullback? Welp, better just turn him into an out and out winger! Those striker newgens that come through with 5 finishing for some reason? Out to the wings you go, to create those epic wingers that can't do anything other than run with the ball (but damn they'll be good at it since they'll have 15+ dribbling, acceleration, agility and pace!). For the players that aren't better in a different position, they'll generally be trained in whatever role requires the least attributes since that's their "best" role at low CA, so you get a near endless supply of AFs, DLPs and so on. Generalists at low CA become almost non existent unless you train them yourself from the get go.

Some of the newgen templates of course also don't help. The AF template with 0 finishing? The CD with 5 jump height? The countless midfielders that have nothing but passing/vision? Sure they happen sometimes, but the amount of supposedly top tier CDs you see among the new gens that can't jump? And unlike your say Puyol's, they lack any other redeeming features to make up for it.

As for physical attributes, with those developing the most at young age and most CA gain obviously also coming at young age (although in FM21 the development curve seems a tad better at least), it's no surprise that most high CA newgens are physical monsters. At the same time, with physical attributes taking a lot of CA, they barely have room left to develop high technical attributes. Would love to see this development gain some attention for future FMs. I don't know, separate PAs for sub groups of attributes or something? Anything to prevent 9 out of 10 high CA newgens turning into physical beasts that barely know how to handle the ball.

2 hours ago, alian62 said:

Ive complained about this since FM18 as they seemed to lose the plot after FM17 . From memory they started to use a different 3D design company so it all changed . There are some decent mods around but still not up to being anything like they use to be . Im hoping that after a new soccer manager game is released in June that things will change because its being touted as a rival to the FM series . Think it is call WE ARE FOOTBALL by Winning Games .... Made by some people who had connections in earlier FM games . FM needs good competition so hopefully this might do something

I couldn’t agree more. It’s like they were warned off using the code. Why else make such a backward step? Gaming is meant to leap forward graphically. FM is the only game in history than went into full reverse. I still we suck it up!

The drop in style between 17 and 18 was truly shocking. We’ve never been told why.

3 hours ago, alian62 said:

Ive complained about this since FM18 as they seemed to lose the plot after FM17 . From memory they started to use a different 3D design company so it all changed . There are some decent mods around but still not up to being anything like they use to be . Im hoping that after a new soccer manager game is released in June that things will change because its being touted as a rival to the FM series . Think it is call WE ARE FOOTBALL by Winning Games .... Made by some people who had connections in earlier FM games . FM needs good competition so hopefully this might do something

was just look up at this touted new rival to FM. looks incredible actually. the much needed competition might finally be here. 

just so disappointed in FM21.

3 hours ago, alian62 said:

Im hoping that after a new soccer manager game is released in June that things will change because its being touted as a rival to the FM series . Think it is call WE ARE FOOTBALL by Winning Games .... Made by some people who had connections in earlier FM games . FM needs good competition so hopefully this might do something

Slightly OT: It's made by former lead designer/s of Fifa Manager / On The Ball in Germany. There are no FM connctions. It will also be more similar to a director of football experience. The German market for which they are primarily developing has always prefered such experiences over tactical match simulations. As such, they also won't do a full match sim the way FM does it (text sim similar to Fifa Manager / On The Ball plus fairly abstract 2D highlights for the match day experience). It's also meant to be a more streamlined experience, where rather than managing individual matches, seasons are to be completed within a few hours at max. As a football sim, this won't be a competitor for FM.

Might still turn out to be a fun game, mind (and as the German market prefers such games, might lose them newfound customers in Germany again).

Edited by Svenc

On 27/03/2021 at 01:49, zabyl said:

Regardless of the subject; I want to share my thoughts about 3D match experience. Because I didn't see anybody write about this. I expected that SI could give us more realistic and aesthetically better 3D match engine with more realistic pitch textures and weather effects. Other than this there could be some adaptive pitch effects depending on the weather. What I mean is when a player runs with ball with a wet weather, there can be some water/snow effects on the pitch/ball.

Look at the picture below. This is from FM11. Ten years before. This is great.

Screenshot_20210323-221003_YouTube.jpg.3aa57da1a6afd0d5736a4d9cf0208f5b.thumb.jpg.e48321fbd6b6afa665be6786dee8b04b.jpg

I tried to create something similar to this with editing pitch patterns with some effects like shade, noise etc. I tried to add this blur effect but setting it up took too much time and I gave up. I'm sharing both vanilla & edited screenshots with you for the difference.

Hide contents

4B.png.92dee2e07584f90035242379914aaa18.png

Hide contents

4A.png.dba179233b3a5e831e5b57f507dd240a.png

I want more aesthetic and realistic 3D match experience in FM22. 

Yeah, I pointed myself here a couple of times that somehow they've managed to make both 2D and 3D to look worse.

I think that FM 2021 is one of the best newer FM's, but I've played just 3 seasons in this FM and even it is good, I can't get into saves anymore.

I think next big thing that could get me into FM again is much better looking 3D ME. Graphics, animations, atmosphere.. 3D is still stuck in '90s, to me it is still not watchable.

After so many years of playing, my imagination has disappeared. I am just afraid that I will have to wait at least 5 years at this pace to see good looking graphics.

Have to say I really do hope they have a rethink when it comes to the matchday experience in terms of widgets etc.

I understand why certain things were done but at the same time it makes a lot more frustrating than it needs to be. You should be able to see the second an opponent changes formation, and while the dugout can be handy I find it updates pretty much as a highlight will start - at that point it's possibly too late to make a worthwhile change. 

The removal of the timeline is strange to me too, I guess I just don't see a need for it.

Edited by WelshMourinho

1 hour ago, Marko1989 said:

3D is still stuck in '90s, to me it is still not watchable..

You obviously have a tainted memory if you remember the couple thousand polygons count to look anything like fm does today ;)

42 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

Promises

Is there any chance in the next game more emphasis can be placed on to the player's agent and less on the manager. Two examples:

1. Player unhappy at playing time wants to go out on loan. Why does the manager have to promise to actively get them a loan? Why is the option to simply promise to sanction a loan under certain circumstances (e.g. wage contribution, playing time etc) available with either the explicit or implicit indication that the player's agent needs to encourage teams who might be interested in them to approach the club
  2. Player wants to leave and one option is the manager has to promise to get them a move as soon as possible. Again, why can't the manager simply promise to sanction a move under certain circumstances e.g. move abroad, offer over a specific amount and behind the scenes the agent is then free to encourage interested clubs to approach my team

I agree  with this- please repost in the Feature Request forum to ensure that SI review these requests.

32 minutes ago, blejdek said:

Me. a manager: Send in low crosses.

My players. donkeys: Send in 20 float crosses.

This caused some thoughts in me. Wouldn't it be more realistic that unsuccessful crosses are too low than now when they are very much allways too high?

If I play for medium and weak teams and do not win trophies, will the reputation of the coach grow?

Can I be invited by football giants from conditional Fulham, with whom I have been in the middle of the league table for 10 seasons?

Edited by bahmet

I watch games on comprehensive highlights and just after going 2-0 up in 90+2 minute of Champions League Game the screen kept flashing as players went to kick off with waiting for next highlight whiring round but no advance to 90+2 time. Obviously didnt want to exit game and eventually managed to finish it by changing setting to text only to get to 90+4 and end of match. First time I have encountered this and hoping a one off glitch. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a one off or "known issue" that may recur? Feedback appreciated. I have saved my long term save for now...

5 hours ago, blejdek said:

Me. a manager: Send in low crosses.

My players. donkeys: Send in 20 float crosses.

Checkout rashidis bust the net videos on what the instructions actually mean, lots of great info on these sorta problems!

2 hours ago, bahmet said:

If I play for medium and weak teams and do not win trophies, will the reputation of the coach grow?

Can I be invited by football giants from conditional Fulham, with whom I have been in the middle of the league table for 10 seasons?

You might have to move up to a club a tier above you like Leicester, or even abroad first. I find you can get jobs like Marseille easier than the English top 6 which makes sense. This version of the game seems to have less managerial movement though.

As for reputation every single game effects your reputation but varies on how much. It’s on a scale of 10000 so it takes some time to move especially without big trophies.

Edited by Maccer92

Just out of interest is it possible for a human player to ever sign staff on a double role? At Barca you have several staff on double role duty. Whenever I try to sign someone on a double role duty he will immediately walk away even staff who are already on a double staff duty at their current club. Is it supposed to be that way, that Human controlled teams can't sign staff on two roles or am I missing something I have to offer them if I want them on a double staff role.

On 27/03/2021 at 18:36, Sharkn20 said:

Is the long throw to the first post tactic fixed yet? Or You can score a lot of goals with a thrower below 10 and a header player over 6'3 (190cm) in the first post?

Pretty sure it's been fixed. Players who don't have great Long Balls attribute now can't do those Roary Delap style crazy long balls no more. It just hits the first defender now. Tactics creators either ALL buy a GREAT long ball thrower or they just haven't realized that this approach just doesn't work no more for all players like it used to. Because when you download most of the top tactics, their throw ins are generally just all "long" all the time. It's not a guarantee no more like it used to be that your players will throw a great long ball even if they don't have a good long ball rating. You don't get anywhere near the post with the throw, like I said it just usually hits the first defender.

Edited by Rooneye

23 minutes ago, Rooneye said:

Pretty sure it's been fixed. Players who don't have great Long Balls attribute now can't do those Roary Delap style crazy long balls no more. It just hits the first defender now. Tactics creators either ALL buy a GREAT long ball thrower or they just haven't realized that this approach just doesn't work no more for all players like it used to. Because when you download most of the top tactics, their throw ins are generally just all "long" all the time. It's not a guarantee no more like it used to be that your players will throw a great long ball even if they don't have a good long ball rating. You don't get anywhere near the post with the throw, like I said it just usually hits the first defender.

Thanks man!

Em 17/03/2021 em 12:47, Tyburn disse:

There have been existing problems with the game SERIES forever. They get fixed. Or they don’t because there are more pressing issues, or too time consuming to sort out in a patch. New problems arise. Repeat. If you can’t handle that the FM series of games have issues you’re going to be very disappointed. 

FM is not a one off game each year. It is a continuation of a base game devised over 20 years ago. I like to think of each years version as like a ‘mega patch’ that you contribute towards financially, like a subscription. The game will never be ‘finished’. It’s just not designed that way. The fact it’s called FM “21” should be the clue.

Some versions are better than others but personally FM21 is far from the worse. In fact, for me, it’s the best in quite a few years, especially regarding the ME.

But charged for the new game price. Nope, it is a new game every year, but the evolution is really slow, maybe because the lack of competition. It stills a great game tho.

17 hours ago, Flohrinho said:

Just out of interest is it possible for a human player to ever sign staff on a double role? At Barca you have several staff on double role duty. Whenever I try to sign someone on a double role duty he will immediately walk away even staff who are already on a double staff duty at their current club. Is it supposed to be that way, that Human controlled teams can't sign staff on two roles or am I missing something I have to offer them if I want them on a double staff role.

I've signed multiple staff on double staff roles, especially at smaller clubs with limited staff salaries.

5 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

The missed penalty symbol that used to appear in the notable events section of the match screen seems to have disappeared in 21.4. Could this be a skin issue or was it removed on purpose?

My skin still shows it, so sounds like a skin issue to me.

41 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

The missed penalty symbol that used to appear in the notable events section of the match screen seems to have disappeared in 21.4. Could this be a skin issue or was it removed on purpose?

Definitely a skin issue

8 ore fa, thiagoanjo ha scritto:

But charged for the new game price. Nope, it is a new game every year, but the evolution is really slow, maybe because the lack of competition. It stills a great game tho.

I by chance tried another footy-managing game simulation - one of those you can get for free on Steam, I don't remember the title but it was quite appreciated - and the ME was absolutely rubbish. And for how sometimes even this ME edition drives me nuts, it was clear to me how simply outstanding is and how SI devs made a product 20 years ahead of anything you can compare it with on the market. Again for me the lack of competition is a badge of honor for them rather than something to complain about.

I'm attending this forum since about 2008, and I have never ever witnessed such a common praise for the ME as towards the one we're playing this year. Of course some doesn't like it, and that's acceptable.

42 minutos atrás, Federico disse:

I by chance tried another footy-managing game simulation - one of those you can get for free on Steam, I don't remember the title but it was quite appreciated - and the ME was absolutely rubbish. And for how sometimes even this ME edition drives me nuts, it was clear to me how simply outstanding is and how SI devs made a product 20 years ahead of anything you can compare it with on the market. Again for me the lack of competition is a badge of honor for them rather than something to complain about.

I'm attending this forum since about 2008, and I have never ever witnessed such a common praise for the ME as towards the one we're playing this year. Of course some doesn't like it, and that's acceptable.

Yea, I play since 97/98 and this the best ME, but, Nah, I stick with lack of competition is an issue, one of the reasons the game improves slower than it should be. I will always want competition, there is no field that competition didnt make things better for customers.

2 minutos atrás, Federico disse:

I understand your point of view but if anyone else can't do a product barely comparable with FM, it's not to SI you should point the finger at.

Of course not, SI isnt a charity, it is business, if they can deliver in small pieces, why they would do it different ? It is not optimal, but it is amazing for the company and it is not that bad for users. I just wish we could have more per year

53 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

image.png.d77e7920806dbdf63408eb9d842877be.png

There's no proper fence behind the goal to prevent ball fly to market square. Of course it has to go in.. :D also look out kiosk worker.. I hope ball doesn't fly to the deep frier :D

Edited by Pasonen

15 minutos atrás, Pasonen disse:

There's no proper fence behind the goal to prevent ball fly to market square. Of course it has to go in.. :D also look out kiosk worker.. I hope ball doesn't fly to the deep frier :D

Yes, and it is impossible to avoid

17 hours ago, Federico said:

Well, I had to go back to FM20 (although it has a worse ME) because at least it calculates the statistics well, the players' ratings are consistent, I can analyze my rival because (surprise) it does collect all the statistics, it do not program me 4 matches a week, has no problem with the newgens and the AI is a little less dumb than FM21

It's okay that you want to see it like this

50 minutes ago, Karl Krammer (KK) said:

Well, I had to go back to FM20 (although it has a worse ME) because at least it calculates the statistics well, the players' ratings are consistent, I can analyze my rival because (surprise) it does collect all the statistics, it do not program me 4 matches a week, has no problem with the newgens and the AI is a little less dumb than FM21

It's okay that you want to see it like this

FM21 doesn't have problems with newgens anymore, that's fixed.

Is there something wrong with attacking corners ?? In 3 seasons I am in my save, I only scored 3 from attacking corners. All three happened in first season and a half. Which means I didnt score from a corner in 1,5 years. 

Anyone else experiencing something similar? I really dont know what could be going wrong.

1 hour ago, blejdek said:

Is there something wrong with attacking corners ?? In 3 seasons I am in my save, I only scored 3 from attacking corners. All three happened in first season and a half. Which means I didnt score from a corner in 1,5 years. 

Anyone else experiencing something similar? I really dont know what could be going wrong.

Not for me, I got one CD attacking near post, one far post and net a couple goals from corners every season. My main CD duo both have 18 jumping, especially for this reason. I also run the Attacking Corners regime when possible, but not sure how much that really helps.

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Not for me, I got one CD attacking near post, one far post and net a couple goals from corners every season. My main CD duo both have 18 jumping, especially for this reason. I also run the Attacking Corners regime when possible, but not sure how much that really helps.

I see, its really strange, as my 2cds and 1am all have 15+ in jumping, heading and bravery, but there is freakin no goals from corners. I even do training sessions for set piece delivery, attacking corners but nothing. 

I cant find another solution than bug haha

21 minutes ago, blejdek said:

I see, its really strange, as my 2cds and 1am all have 15+ in jumping, heading and bravery, but there is freakin no goals from corners. I even do training sessions for set piece delivery, attacking corners but nothing. 

I cant find another solution than bug haha

Anticipation is another important one, but assuming it's high too if the others are.

Taking a quick look and my main CB - with my sit at and aim at near post corners - has got goal totals of 7/7/6/4 (only 14 matches in) in my 3+ seasons on FM21. That obviously doesn't count other players picking them up too, as usual he gets a couple inadvertent flick on assists to the far post. And I have yet to tweak this corner kicks setup for the new tactic I started using this season, as it's got a few players not where I want them.

Looking at the current 22/23 season, in 15 matches we have 42 goals - 5 from corners and 2 from indirect free kicks.

Edited by CaptCanuck