Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

10 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

I must have forgotten about this one :-S

Trying to sort out how to manage my offseason transfers, with Champions League registration and I get this lovely 'Testing Changes Only' button that I cannot even click. Should be called the didn't test changes button.

I don't think there's actually an issue here? You can't click the button because the screen exists so you can plan your squad registration before the actual registration date. This is a new feature this year, and looks to me like it's working as intended.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

For me, the way training ratings are calculated is strange. It seems that the best ratings are always for younger players and the oldest have rarely the best ratings. The ratings should show who's training the best/hardest, not who's progressing the most. Also, it would be more logical to be able to praise or criticize the "right" players.

Also, if a player trains hard, he could be rewarded on matchday.

In an ideal "world", there should be 2 separate training ratings. One that indicates how hard a player works and the other would tell us how well it does it. This one would be an indication on the player's form... if he would likely play well on the matchday. Some players could be hard workers but be "ineffective" and some could be lazy but do very well the little they do.

What do you think ?

This particular situation needs to be fixed.

FM_Youthsign.png.9ae3e95d016c9376d374c57090a88bad.png

Luc was a youth intake player that didn't get signed as part of the initial trial match. I like to keep players around and watch to see if they do well though. Luc played well in a friendly so I gave him a contract.

A few days later and the trial periods ended. When Luc agreed to the contrcat a day later the game thinks he's signed from outside the club. He hasn't.

FM needs to remember the youth intake trialists and not treat them as new signings in this probably rare occurance.

I then get a new signing news item a day later in which the fans judge my new signing an E. I hope that has no influence on my career. It's a messy situation within the game.

Edited by anagain

1 hour ago, anagain said:

This particular situation needs to be fixed.

FM_Youthsign.png.9ae3e95d016c9376d374c57090a88bad.png

Luc was a youth intake player that didn't get signed as part of the initial trial match. I like to keep players around and watch to see if they do well though. Luc played well in a friendly so I gave him a contract.

A few days later and the trial periods ended. When Luc agreed to the contrcat a day later the game thinks he's signed from outside the club. He hasn't.

FM needs to remember the youth intake trialists and not treat them as new signings in this probably rare occurance.

I then get a new signing news item a day later in which the fans judge my new signing an E. I hope that has no influence on my career. It's a messy situation within the game.

Yeah I've had this happen before too. It doesn't make sense

• Neil Brock changed the title to Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread
10 hours ago, RVP32 said:

I don't know what happened with penalty kicks but my players genuinely miss every single one. Across various saves not one went in no matter who I put on it.

The soak tests done by SI indicate  that a success rate of around 75-80% should be attainable, so if you are missing every one, there is clearly something wrong.

After hundreds of hours on this game I give up. I loved Football Manager a lot, but in the last two years the MatchEngine seems too scripted for me. It doesn't matter if I use my tactics or other player's tactics, the result doesn't change. If the opponents shoot 3 times on goal they score 3 times, if you shoot 10 times on goal, maybe you score 1 or 2 (if lucky). I understand if this happen 1 game or maybe 2, unluck could happen to anyone. But not 5/6 games in a row....... Match stats doesn't matter, goal opportunities is a stat that count less than 0, abilities of player are irrilevant because you can have Ronaldo and Neuer, but they become cr°p and the opponents with goofy and micky mouse suddenly become jesus. I tried it all from the begin until now, I loved this game, but after all this B.S. i decided to uninstall and play something else......... I'm really sad and angry because FM was one of my favourite games ever........ and seems there is nothing I can do to improve my situation. After searching around the internet some possible tips, advise, tactics ecc ecc, after months full of frustration and no results I give up
This is my honest opinion about the game. Many will disagree with me, but I wish them my luck

There seem to be way too many instances of players blasting the ball aimlessly into the face of someone stood 5 yards away from them, especially in their own penalty area. I had one that caused an own goal earlier and it's just a little too unrealistic, especially when they're not under much pressure and still feel the need to do it

Pretty cool they added this conversation option, when you promise a player a new contract, but he refuses to accept what you offer. Previously, once you made the promise, you kinda had to complete a new deal regardless, or player would get pissy.

3rHmFmL.jpg

Iem2pQK.jpg

fm 2021-04-22 19-47-29-18.bmp

I think this squad hierarchy -team leaders- mechanic should have been much better in this  latest third version of FM (2021) . Mesut Özil- in reality he didn't play proper football for about 2 years, Fenerbahçe did everything for his transfer - Gökhan Gönül -one of the legendary full backs ever in Turkish football (age 36)-  and Ozan Turfan (young player) saying to manager unjustice is done to Nigerian Bright Osayi- Samuel (23).  This Samuel guy doesn't even in the same social group to those. Hierarchy other players. God knows what is the relationship about. Maybe they opened restaurant. :)

On 21/04/2021 at 21:29, mhaffy said:

After the release of the 21.4 update I did a full season test of Full Match Engine Stats versus Quick Match Engine stats. There were improvements in several areas but significant differences still remained for certain stats which undermine scouting/search comparisons. My test gave 70% penalty success rate over full season for FME with 77% for QME - 20/21 season actual in Premier League was 83%. The 70% success rate in my detailed test was below the 75-80% SI soak tests indicated by @FrazT, inless the soak test was based upon QME.... Fll details of my stat tests were:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8b9d43df6d44805e44f8ddd740e562.jpeg

You'll have to simulate the same season multiple times to truly know. There is too much variance in just one season.

This is only a small thing, but for me it really grates.

In older versions of the game, right back to the CM days, when World Cup or Euros time rolled around the venue of any particuar match was prominently displayed, even on the fixtures/results screen.

And I think even up to the last couple of years you could click on ANY fixture and the match summary screen would show you which stadium the game was played.

But now, I can't find any way to show it? Is there any fix? Or maybe a skin which shows it? Or am I missing something?

I know I've said this before but the pitches are a real immersion killer. I manage in the very lower leagues, my pitch is rated as "terrible", the media ask questions on it, yet it still looks like a subbuteo pitch on match day and this really needs sorting. FM17 had this down very well, no reason for it to be lesser in more recent versions. 

13 minutes ago, Danchinaski said:

I know I've said this before but the pitches are a real immersion killer. I manage in the very lower leagues, my pitch is rated as "terrible", the media ask questions on it, yet it still looks like a subbuteo pitch on match day and this really needs sorting. FM17 had this down very well, no reason for it to be lesser in more recent versions. 

Do you have Artificial grass on your pitch? 

The Legends, Icons and Favourite Personel tab is seriously messed up.

1 year save with Barcelona just for a bit of fun while I orientate around for a new save in the meantime, Lionel Messi starts off as a legend (obviously). Season is over and where does he rank?

Icon. Not even high in the ranking, literally the second to last icon (!). Ranking below the likes of Johan Neeskens, Quini and Stoichkov. And the lowest ranking icon is one that wasn't even an icon at the beginning of the game but got there due to in-game performances.

It doesn't impact gameplay that much but it seriously destroys some immersion cause I doubt Messi would ever get relegated to just an icon for Barcelona.

7 hours ago, RVP32 said:

The Legends, Icons and Favourite Personel tab is seriously messed up.

1 year save with Barcelona just for a bit of fun while I orientate around for a new save in the meantime, Lionel Messi starts off as a legend (obviously). Season is over and where does he rank?

Icon. Not even high in the ranking, literally the second to last icon (!). Ranking below the likes of Johan Neeskens, Quini and Stoichkov. And the lowest ranking icon is one that wasn't even an icon at the beginning of the game but got there due to in-game performances.

It doesn't impact gameplay that much but it seriously destroys some immersion cause I doubt Messi would ever get relegated to just an icon for Barcelona.

A legend shouldnt ever stop being a legend, I dont even know why that's possible in the game

Edited by francis#17

On 04/04/2021 at 13:28, Freakiie said:

Not that I know, but from toying around a bit in my own save it seems the main factor is paying them ABSURD wages. Which kinda makes sense as you're telling them to do two fulltime jobs basically. As far as staff already on double roles not wanting them again is a bit weird though, in my current RB Leipzig I've got a staff member who has double roles set from the initial DB and he has continued being the TD/Chief Scout at the club for nearly 25 years by now.

Yeah if they are already in that role at your club this doesn't seem to be a problem, just if I want to bring new guys from other clubs, even those who hare two roles at those clubs. I'll try maybe doubling the wages but the weird part is they don't even make a counter offer they just immediately break off negotiations when I suggest two roles.

How likely are all of the new intake of youth players to come up with a negative personality? Well, it happened to me even having a Head of Youth  Development "Professional"

image.png.f72405f3684e661c6c9754c90a8bef9e.png

Edited by Nick_CB

11 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

How likely are all of the new intake of youth players to come up with a negative personality? Well, it happened to me even having a Head of Youth  Development "Professional"

image.png.f72405f3684e661c6c9754c90a8bef9e.png

Technically unambitious does not necessarily mean low professionalism, and professional personality does not guarantee high ambition.

3 horas atrás, zyfon5 disse:

Technically unambitious does not necessarily mean low professionalism, and professional personality does not guarantee high ambition.

But isn't it at least strange and insane for all players to have a weak personality?😭

2 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

But isn't it at least strange and insane for all players to have a weak personality?😭

It's not 'weak'. Being Unambitious isn't necessarily even bad. If they have decent Determination (which you could always increase through Mentoring etc) and Professionalism, they are going to be just fine. And you'll have the added bonus of them being loyal and not ambitious, so less crying about moving to bigger/better clubs.

16 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Well, it happened to me even having a Head of Youth  Development "Professional"

What did the actual news item say? A HoYD can influence Personalities and it's possible that he did, but that would be in the Youth Intake news item.

2 horas atrás, HUNT3R disse:

It's not 'weak'. Being Unambitious isn't necessarily even bad. If they have decent Determination (which you could always increase through Mentoring etc) and Professionalism, they are going to be just fine. And you'll have the added bonus of them being loyal and not ambitious, so less crying about moving to bigger/better clubs.

What did the actual news item say? A HoYD can influence Personalities and it's possible that he did, but that would be in the Youth Intake news item.

It makes sense, I will try to make them useful to the club 

News Item?I really don't know where I can see this

Something that is annoying me with my current save. Not sure if it is classed as a bug or not, thought I would see what you guys think:

I am Barcelona manager, 3rd season. I have agreed to take over as Man City manager at the end of the 3rd season. Players keep coming to me asking for new contract negotiations. I can't negotiate contracts (or buy or sell players) due to my impending departure from the club - those options are 'blocked'.

Whatever I do the players become unhappy and dislike me. Now, I am leaving the club so it shouldn't bother that much. Except their moral drops, which affects the teams performance (and I would quite like to leave the club winning everything in my last season), and there are a few players I would quite like to buy from Barcelona when I get to City - but this won't happen if the players hate me.

Is this a bug or just an annoyance? Not sure.

15 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

As a long time player who gave FM21 a skip, the first time I'd ever done that, is the game worth playing or not? How much % of an improvement is it on FM20? 

As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that the ME is much better, but a lot dislike the new match UI (there are mods for that though).

If you want to find out what has changed, just download the demo and see for yourself. No one else can know what you think is important, thus it's not possible to say for a certain how much of an improvement it is.

For my own sake, I can say, I think the game gets better every year, and the ME this season is the best it's ever been, by far!

34 minutes ago, XaW said:

As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that the ME is much better, but a lot dislike the new match UI (there are mods for that though).

If you want to find out what has changed, just download the demo and see for yourself. No one else can know what you think is important, thus it's not possible to say for a certain how much of an improvement it is.

For my own sake, I can say, I think the game gets better every year, and the ME this season is the best it's ever been, by far!

I am glad to hear. 

I didn't like the UI changes that much on browsing, but the reason I stopped playing was because I got bored with the ME's usual antics. If that's improved, I might consider giving the game another go and also if that is the case, much credit to SI for improving the ME which is the bread and butter of the game. 

8 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

I am glad to hear. 

I didn't like the UI changes that much on browsing, but the reason I stopped playing was because I got bored with the ME's usual antics. If that's improved, I might consider giving the game another go and also if that is the case, much credit to SI for improving the ME which is the bread and butter of the game. 

Yeah, it's still not perfect, and there are certainly some quirks to find (the physics of the goal net jumps out a bit), but in general I think the actual play is much better, and I can see my instructions influence what happens on the pitch (both good and bad, based on what I do!).

I've posted quite a few gifs here in this thread of goals I've really appreciated, so have a look at that if you want.

38 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, it's still not perfect, and there are certainly some quirks to find (the physics of the goal net jumps out a bit), but in general I think the actual play is much better, and I can see my instructions influence what happens on the pitch (both good and bad, based on what I do!).

I've posted quite a few gifs here in this thread of goals I've really appreciated, so have a look at that if you want.

I do agree that the ME is pretty good in a lot of areas. I've had players practically walk the ball into the goal and some brilliant plays in the centre of the park. Compared to FM20, the gap between world class technical players and average players is actually visible with great playmakers regularly passing their way out of a tight spot. Central play in general is far better than before. However, decision making in the final third could do with some improvements.

My only major issues are with the defending in wide regions and mental attributes being a side note if you play a high pressing system since the high press seems to mask defensive shortcomings too easily. IRL, players with poor positioning would be a huge burden if placed in a high pressing system. In wide regions, DL/DR need to be far more aggressive in closing down. Right now, wide players have too much time to turn and run, which is the exact thing you don't want. It needs to be a bit more like defending in central regions where players regularly break from the formation to close someone down or cut off a passing lane.

30 minutes ago, anindyarajan19 said:

I do agree that the ME is pretty good in a lot of areas. I've had players practically walk the ball into the goal and some brilliant plays in the centre of the park. Compared to FM20, the gap between world class technical players and average players is actually visible with great playmakers regularly passing their way out of a tight spot. Central play in general is far better than before. However, decision making in the final third could do with some improvements.

My only major issues are with the defending in wide regions and mental attributes being a side note if you play a high pressing system since the high press seems to mask defensive shortcomings too easily. IRL, players with poor positioning would be a huge burden if placed in a high pressing system. In wide regions, DL/DR need to be far more aggressive in closing down. Right now, wide players have too much time to turn and run, which is the exact thing you don't want. It needs to be a bit more like defending in central regions where players regularly break from the formation to close someone down or cut off a passing lane.

Oh, I agree, there are improvements that can be made, no doubt, but I still think the ME now is a huge step from the one in FM20 and previous games.

And I also think that the weaknesses of high pressing is not exploited enough in the game. High pressing is a high risk/reward strategy, and with the right players can work wonders, but can also backfire with lapses in concentration or personal mistakes from players either not used to it, or just not good enough. Those are things I hope to be improved for any future games, but as is, I still think it feels more like actual football than before.

Stamina and fatigue should actually mean something towards the end of a match. If you play a full throttle, high pressing tactic ALL game then it should be reflected in player position/pace etc towards the end of the match. Currently I don’t see any visual difference in the players from first whistle to last.

Regardless, this ME is the best in years :)

Edited by Tyburn

Love the game but i am getting hacked off when, usually after i have rejected a new contract with my club (keeping my options open or deciding to wait until the end of the season) if i decided to go on holiday (ive had occasions with 20 plus days without a game so to speed things up i take a holiday) i come back to find that the game has negotiated a new contract for my and im tied down to a club for 4 years when i dont want to be,  Yes i can resign but if im on holiday it shouldnt be possible for the game to sign me into a new contract.

Just a quick question. Playing in Gibraltar , in the second season i'm upgrading my youth facilities but after the end of the first season , i saw that the U19 squad is visible.

I can hire staff, but i can't control the training or select a tactic. Is this because the youth facilities are still upgrading? 

6ea7f52f7d81b688d20a058de4506390.png

fe391bad4a2886f469fa78ea3690184f.png
i can't put myself as responsible for any training parts.. to get them into my icon bar.

69e8ec444d01701ff7793e7cab8553fd.png

530d538309524f31f2289c7091123a29.png

2ba177495a852859e51b54293562bf01.png

A bug or will it be ok after the improvement of the YT fac ?

Don't know if anything has changed in the game, but I've played 3 games this morning and had two goals confirmed by VAR which looked offside and previously would have been disallowed every time?

13 hours ago, WelshMourinho said:

I'm all for the more intense focus on squad harmony and dynamics that we've seen developed in the last few versions of FM, but it has no make sense and I find some of the situations to honestly lack common sense to the point where it becomes silly to deal with.

To provide an example, I'll take an 18 yr old striker who signed a contract with the promise of being loaned out. I accepted offers from numerous top divisions sides (his CA was around Serie A ability according to my high rated coaches), however when a Lega C team made an offer I rejected it due to the obvious low level of competition. He then gets unhappy that my promise is broken. He is now quite literally on loan at La Liga side Granada, starting every game, and is unhappy that the promise was broken. What compounds the issue is there is no way of saying "I rejected this offer because I've accepted an offer at a more suitable level". This would be the logical response, however the best we get is some shoddy "I don't think your development would be best suited there". You can't address the issue at hand.

I find the transfer market follows a similar pattern. One of my young wingers wanted to go to Real Madrid in order to have a better chance of winning the CL. Absolutely fine and makes perfect sense. Obviously I told him to stuff his ambitions and refused to let him go and he moved on... now a scout from Watford turns up for a few games and he is reported as being "desperate to make the move happen", and all I can ask is why exactly? For context I am at AC Milan. We're not in the European elite (albeit 2 CL quarter final appearances in the last 3 seasons suggests we're making our way up there), but we're certainly closer to it than bloody Watford.

Managing your squad and their happiness should be a skill, but I find a lot of scenarios we're dealing with absolutely illogical and it's more akin to just avoiding whatever nonsense is being flung at us on a case by case basis. Don't even get me started on the latest unsettling option clubs have. Just send your scout to watch someone a few times and the player will suddenly be gushing and desperate to join? Give me strength.

Player interactions are imo the weakest part of the game, mainly because they havent been thought out properly. It's as if, for one example, someone said "we should make players unhappy if a loan deal is rejected because that's what a real player would do" and they didnt think about the knock on effects and the different contexts this could occur in.

Really poor imo as it's clear to see after playing the game for a short amount of time. It's better to not include the feature at all (and work on it until it's ready) rather than include a half baked version that often creates nonsensical situations and ruins immersion. 

I've had a player unhappy with his playing time even though he had started every game of the league and his own expected playing time was only squad player.

In real life man management is so important and so it's important to have it in the game, but when player interaction largely doesnt work there is no point in it being there.

Edited by francis#17

Can't see anyone posting about this so maybe I'm noticing it more than normal but since the 21.4 update, there are so many goals that begin from a long hoof from the back, floats over the defence and a striker runs clean through. Noticed this much more since the update, and I've played games at English Premiership level and non league, and it's happening for and against. I'm not playing a high line really but of course, you would expect my defenders to be standing quite high when the opposition full back has the ball at the corner flag! I'm hesitant to raise this as a bug because maybe because it infuriates me, I'm being biased and it's actually fine :lol:

Edited by keon

Please re do all the interactions with players and the press as they just don't work and are illogical.

Ageing club icon aged 35 and sitting his coaching badges moans about lack of game time, he's doing his badges so he can retire and become a coach ffs.

Ability to tell a player he's playing crap and that's why you're dropping him, or the reason you're selling him.

Press conferences repeating the same old crappy questions and only having the same crappy answers to them, yes there's the additional bit but you shouldn't need to use that all the time.

14 hours ago, keon said:

Can't see anyone posting about this so maybe I'm noticing it more than normal but since the 21.4 update, there are so many goals that begin from a long hoof from the back, floats over the defence and a striker runs clean through. Noticed this much more since the update, and I've played games at English Premiership level and non league, and it's happening for and against. I'm not playing a high line really but of course, you would expect my defenders to be standing quite high when the opposition full back has the ball at the corner flag! I'm hesitant to raise this as a bug because maybe because it infuriates me, I'm being biased and it's actually fine :lol:

More teams playing a higher line so the ball over the top is a decent tactic.

Took a break as I was fed up with the game, come back to it and go to introduce myself to the squad only to find this. One of the worst editions of FM there has been.

image.thumb.png.cd635e191099304b7c4777bab91637b0.png