Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, xray1324 said:

damn that's unfortunate

Not much. If you look around say understat.com, there's teams not scoring with an xG 1.5-1.8xish on almost every match day in every major league. (The highest recorded without scoring was an xG of ~5 and no goal -- that's unfortunate). 

Arguably this only shows this needs a tutorial as to stats, and what the biggest use of them actually is. Picking random matches is no use.

Edited by Svenc

4 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Not much. If you look around say understat.com, there's teams not scoring with an xG 1.5-1.8xish on almost every match day in every major league. (The highest recorded without scoring was an xG of ~5 and no goal -- that's unfortunate). 

Arguably this only shows this needs a tutorial as to stats, and what the biggest use of them actually is. Picking random matches is no use.

more of it being unfortunate that the opposing team to his got 4 shots on target, and scored all 4. A tutorial there could probably be useful though

13 hours ago, XaW said:

Yeah, I can see that, but I don't really think that has been in FM. And to be fair, it's very rare that players join for less than half a year or something. At least in the top tiers, I can't think of anyone who joined for shorter than 6 months, other than loans?

Duncan Watmore signed for Boro this season on a two month deal initially so it does happen in the higher reaches. 

3 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

Duncan Watmore signed for Boro this season on a two month deal initially so it does happen in the higher reaches. 

Yeah, if it happens, then add it in the suggestions subforum and point to it.

I don't normally comment much on the gameplay itself or the match engine.  But I can't help but notice the "marking".  That is to say at times it's non existent!

Attackers seem to to just drift away from defenders in important defensive areas e.g. in and around the penalty box and are clearly unmarked in open space.  It is completely bizarre at times as there is simply no reaction or recognition from defenders that their man is free and wide open.  It just seems like a weird dereliction of duty time after time.  I have played a lot of FM and don't recall ever seeing this happen so frequently or blatantly.

I am very confident this is not due to instructions/tactics.  It happens for both teams i.e. my team and the A.I. team.

Has this been observed and reported elsewhere?  Please link me to another thread if that is the case.  

Is it just me, or do headed goals, never happen?

Most of my goals (and the opposition for that matter) seem to be 20-30 yard stunners. I just beat Derby 3-1 and 3 of those goals (2 from me, 1 from Derby) was screamers. Rarely do I see a striker go through one on one and score a simple tap in. Crosses go in and 9 times out of 10 it is either blocked or straight at the keeper. And as I say, I am 2 years into a save and genuinely do not think my team have scored a header from open play.

Is there a known issue logged with finishing?

2 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Depends how you've set up and whos doing what during the game.

I've had headed goals in my new save, about 6/7. I tend to get rid of work the ball in the box and move low crossing to mixed and use wide players as wingers/ IW. Scored 2 from corners, so for me it's balanced- trying a tactic thats a hybrid to bayern and United. Balance both crossing and quick passing play. 

20 minutes ago, BigV said:

Depends how you've set up and whos doing what during the game.

I've had headed goals in my new save, about 6/7. I tend to get rid of work the ball in the box and move low crossing to mixed and use wide players as wingers/ IW. Scored 2 from corners, so for me it's balanced- trying a tactic thats a hybrid to bayern and United. Balance both crossing and quick passing play. 

I have removed WBIB too. But it is more penalty area finishing in general I am puzzled by. 

26 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Most of my goals (and the opposition for that matter) seem to be 20-30 yard stunners. I just beat Derby 3-1 and 3 of those goals (2 from me, 1 from Derby) was screamers. Rarely do I see a striker go through one on one and score a simple tap in. Crosses go in and 9 times out of 10 it is either blocked or straight at the keeper. And as I say, I am 2 years into a save and genuinely do not think my team have scored a header from open play.

It must be different leagues and different tactics that result in different patterns of play. I personally see lots of headed goals, not least from corners but also crosses. Through balls and 1v1's probably most common type of goal for me. FM20-style long shots are rarer however. 

Try and change your tactic and see if that makes a difference.

1 minute ago, freddieos said:

It must be different leagues and different tactics that result in different patterns of play. I personally see lots of headed goals, not least from corners but also crosses. Through balls and 1v1's probably most common type of goal for me. FM20-style long shots are rarer however. 

Try and change your tactic and see if that makes a difference.

I am very jealous. What is your setup?

On 09/01/2021 at 20:38, Luizinho said:

'Blocked Cross' Manager 2021... 

SI really need to look at the way players cross in this game. Why do players consistently avoid crossing when they're in space, only to wait to be closed down and then attempt a cross.

Edit: Unfortunately I'm almost done with FM for the foreseeable - playing the game feels like such a chore currently.

Just wait till your clubs reputation increases.....every game is AI parking the bus, 20 plus fouls and picking up less yellow cards than yourself who only commits a fraction of those fouls. The beta ME had promise but it just feels like FM20 now. 

DMs are somehow still unable to reliable hit a 7+ match rating without assisting or scoring. I've tried multiple types of DMs there and unless they assisted or scored, they all stay under a 7.00 even if the entire team has had an absolute stormer.

2 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

I've scored plenty but then I do play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers, one of which is a target man with ti float crosses. Are you set up to score headers?

5 hours ago, ottey_swe said:

During pre-match & half-time team talks, I sometimes press the "tactics" button to change something. Then I'm unable to return to the team talk that I haven't made yet.. What to do?

Haha, I asked the same question few days ago ;) Just press the backspace and it will return you to team speech page.

5 hours ago, RVP32 said:

DMs are somehow still unable to reliable hit a 7+ match rating without assisting or scoring. I've tried multiple types of DMs there and unless they assisted or scored, they all stay under a 7.00 even if the entire team has had an absolute stormer.

It might be based on role, I had fred play as a DM 3 games and he got over 7+ both times. Once he was DLP, had 100% pass rate and alot of interceptions. 2nd time was DM and had 6 tackles 3 more than anyone on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

When is the annual fee of the Senior Affiliate due? Is at the date of the agreement? Or at some point during the pre-season??

I think it's around the season roll over. When the league table is reset.

I'm having trouble canceling scout tasks
For example, I ask that all my observed players go to the shortlist
when the observation is over I try to cancel the task to remove the scout's work and nothing happens, in many situations the task remains and I need to cancel again

I'm thinking about opening a topic because it's not just this bug in the scout that is bothering me. Scouts are taking too long to start and finish the job, I always need to select the players, cancel the task and start the scout again
(this method speeds up the process)

15 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

I've got Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin and Milik boshing in headers left, right and centre in my Everton save.

I'm not saying there is no issue, but I've certainly not experienced it.

No issues with one on one's either to be honest and I rarely score screamers! Basically my 2 seasons with the game have been the polar opposite to what you are describing!

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I've never seen a goal like this before. It's my first match in charge of a new club and this is the first goal scored, by my team as well.

aa1e69025e2d8a875ac365418a4c873e.gif

Seeing this, sometimes I think i have different ME than you and some other guys I see, when they added some terrific moves xDD

21 minutes ago, blejdek said:

Seeing this, sometimes I think i have different ME than you and some other guys I see, when they added some terrific moves xDD

As well as the saves mentioned on my profile, I have one going on in tier 8 of the English league structure.  Some of the goals I see in that are excellent, better than those I see at higher level.  I suspect it may be to do with the relative balance between defenders and attackers. and at the top levels the ability of world-class attacking players to operate under intense defensive pressure not being very well represented.  Down in the lower leagues players end up with a lot more time and space, so there's more scope for variety in the play that develops.

Down in tier 8 you see some wonderfully awful goalkeeping too - head in hands moments do tend to balance out the great goals you see.

Edited by rp1966

8 hours ago, Robioto said:

I've got Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin and Milik boshing in headers left, right and centre in my Everton save.

I'm not saying there is no issue, but I've certainly not experienced it.

No issues with one on one's either to be honest and I rarely score screamers! Basically my 2 seasons with the game have been the polar opposite to what you are describing!

It is mind boggling. My setup is fine, we look solid, hard to break down, create good openings, yet the moment we reach the final third it is just like a game of block. Ping pong almost - I have come to accept headers will be high and wide (after a season of frustration) so tell my wide players not to cross and set crossing to low.

Could you share your setup, at all? Just want to see if there is anything glaring I am missing. Or something I shouldn't be using. 

19 hours ago, BigV said:

It might be based on role, I had fred play as a DM 3 games and he got over 7+ both times. Once he was DLP, had 100% pass rate and alot of interceptions. 2nd time was DM and had 6 tackles 3 more than anyone on the field. 

It's a bit weird. I play with a DLP (S) as DM. First I had Kovacic there who couldn't manage to get 7+ on consistent basis when not scoring or assisting, I then used Kante there after swapping him around with Kovacic but didn't either, which was udnerstandable cause he's not fully suited for that role, but even if he had an absolutely amazing game defensively (Which he's had plenty of) the rating was still bad.

Now I have Gilmour and Kana for that position and role, with Loftus-Cheek sometimes seeing use there too and they don't amange to do it either despite easily being good enough to perform well in that role.

I guess it could be my tactic but I use the same tactic as I did in last year's edition and back then the DM position had a lot of solid games too, so I'm kinda ruling that out for now.

Not that significant of a problem, but definitely something that sticks out like a sore thumb when you batter your opponents 5-0 and your DM is the only one with a match rating below a 7.00 constantly.

Edited by RVP32

2 minutes ago, spiritdonkey said:

When I should use this chat options?

I use them when I get the Inbox item about players developing well/poorly and it always works well.

The one above ("you've trained well"), I use for players with good Training Rating on bi-weekly basis (they can get pissy if you do it every week).

4 minutes ago, spiritdonkey said:

I start to think this phrases are useless just like "praise/criticise conduct" (by the way, when I should (if ever) conduct-related chats?)

You can praise conduct at any time and as long as you don't do it too often, it doesn't seem to have any negatives. I use it to lift player's morale a notch.

23 hours ago, BigV said:

Just to add to this discussion, I play a Half back - Segundo Volante partnership and get good ratings from this.

Quick question. Is there anyone out there who uses a - working - tactic with a striker? FM seems to have a deep hatred towards strikers in the last 3-4 FM series. Is it a major M.E issue that just can't get fixed, or is this their take on modern football?

I think there's a big brexit problem.

Tahith Chong. Released by Man U on mine. He had English citizenship due to residing for over 2000 continous days. He also had settled player status. However, the moment he is released and a free agent he is classed as not residing in the country, and therefore cannot get a work permit?

Same for all players in a similar situation

2 hours ago, spiritdonkey said:

Players almost always don't agree with me after this phrase.
I start to think this phrases are useless just like "praise/criticise conduct" (by the way, when I should (if ever) conduct-related chats?)

Use the first line, that will be fine. Strangely, they get upset when you use the second line. 

2 hours ago, spiritdonkey said:

Players almost always don't agree with me after this phrase.

You should use those when they're actually developing well, or not. The first option is for training rating, the second is for development. 

17 минут назад, CM сказал:

Use the first line, that will be fine. Strangely, they get upset when you use the second line. 

And I want to understand why)

2 часа назад, Zemahh сказал:

I use them when I get the Inbox item about players developing well/poorly and it always works well.

The one above ("you've trained well"), I use for players with good Training Rating on bi-weekly basis (they can get pissy if you do it every week).

So may be we have 2 scenarios? First with every week reaction (1st line) and second with just about 1 month reaction (2nd line about overall progress?)
So unclear, can we have some clarify from devs?

2 часа назад, Zemahh сказал:

You can praise conduct at any time and as long as you don't do it too often, it doesn't seem to have any negatives. I use it to lift player's morale a notch.

Strange thing. What does even this "conduct" means? Some examples of bad conduct?
Looks like forgotten piece of old mechanic for me

1 минуту назад, JordanMillward_1 сказал:

You should use those when they're actually developing well, or not. The first option is for training rating, the second is for development. 

To clarify: first - just for training raiting (for example: more then 8 - good, less 6 - then criticise)
second - for attributes changes ( arrows up - praise development, arrows down - I am a strict manager with my criticism)
Am I right?

4 minutes ago, spiritdonkey said:

Strange thing. What does even this "conduct" means? Some examples of bad conduct?

Leaving a bar in the early hours? Complaining about the manager in the media? There are several things I'd consider bad conduct in the game.

1 минуту назад, XaW сказал:

Leaving a bar in the early hours? Complaining about the manager in the media? There are several things I'd consider bad conduct in the game.

Haven't seen this things in a long time. So a "good conduct" is for a good old non-alcoholic beer?)

Just now, spiritdonkey said:

Haven't seen this things in a long time. So a "good conduct" is for a good old non-alcoholic beer?)

I'd imagine leaving a bar in the middle of the night would be frowned upon even if they were sober! ;)

The teamwork lines really take a while for my team to form even while playing consistent partnerships, thats fine.

However I am coming across opposition teams who have teamwork partnership lines formed all through the team even though they have 3/4 new signings who have hardly played any games for them.

This may have been mentioned but a couple of things from me after playing for a few days...

1 - really like the immersion of the press conferences but find that either random questions get asked (league manager sacking question in a European tie press conference), or the level/amount of questions feels off. Tunnel interviews (based on seeing them on TV) are either a couple of quick Q's as we have or more pitch side where there is a bit more q's about people playing, opposition formations, and so on. In the actual press conferences they often feel too short e.g. watching a few over the years each journo' will likely ask 2-3 questions each and they last maybe 20-45 mins on average. Obviously not expecting them to go on that long but probably 2-3 q's on so 4-5 topics relating to the past match, players fitness, the opposition & upcoming game & other world football things would feel about right. The conferences after the game don't yet do enough for me going into the game e.g overall, player performances, incidents in the game and so on. Appreciate this is likely to be an area of significant development but I think it would be worth it

2 - interviews - the immersion is good but I wonder whether it could be enhanced a bit more e.g the prospective board selling their vision (if they want you specifically) or ask you to outline a vision for the club without knowing theirs. Stealing some of the layouts from other interactions e.g team meetings it would be possible to go through a few sections like playing styles, team structure (age profile, nationality bias etc), short and medium performance goals, and so on. Then if they like what they hear more interactive around likely investment e.g. could you do that with no money or how much would you need, how much turn over of the current squad would you need an so on - every time I see the presser answer "we had really engaging conversations" I'm left thinking but we didn't!

3 - In-Match; really quite like the new lay-out and ways to sub but being able to move the players along that bar to swap positions would be great (or add an option when you click on them to swap with another player) would be helpful if you have versatile players e.g. you substitute your left winger with a CM who you want to swap with the current CM who can play LW too. Obviously if you want to change formation etc then go to tactics but for those quick swap players around this would be helpful

4 - Staff - I like that its possible to delegate staff recruitment to DOF but would be good to agree with them them/the chairman the structure e.g. a head physio, 2 FT physios & 1 each for reserves & U19, a head analyst and so on you get my point but then delegate the recruitment of specialist roles to the HOF's (or DOF if you want them to do it all). With the heads of roles I think importance needs to be placed on the softer skills too e.g. man management, motivation, judging staff etc as they might be able to do the physical job but if they can't manage their teams then the unit will not be as good as it can be

5 - more of a future one but the player histories now stick out like a sore thumb. Years of bad data management have left so many of these pages looking horrific when all of the other areas of the game are polished and beautiful. At this stage fixing it is probably too big a job and largely I'd imagine the data is accurate (just not stored for visualisation) so I'd suggest some new way of thinking about showing that page could be really nice - something akin to the analysts area where the key information can be visualised in a nicer way e.g current season stats, total career stats, clubs played for etc and allowing for a lot more context e.g. played 20 times this year (out of how many possible?), average appearances last 5 years has been 15 or 35, their current xG vs career and so on. The data is all there (maybe not the xG in truth) and could be repurposed to the betterment of the game