The Wales Thread - Sponsored by Robert Page's Tiki Taka

Gazza D

16 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Disgrace is a bit much. Poor, sure. Disgrace? Come on dude.

The number of times he claimed a Wales player touched the ball when they got nowhere near was laughable. Didn't think Ampadu's foul was a red card even though it's textbook and the pro ref had just told him so. Basic maths seem beyond him. Up there with the very worst commentators on show this tournament. 

I'd rather listen to Savage for 90 minutes.

19 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

If my maths is correct, Denmark need to win by two clear goals for that to happen. Not impossible, but not certain either.

I may be wrong but I think if Denmark beat Russia and Belgium beat Finland (both of which are clear odds-on favourites to happening with the bookies) then Denmark finish 2nd unless Finland scores at least 2 and loses only by 1?

If Denmark win 1-0 then it goes to head to head of which Finland, Russia and Denmark all have the same head to head (all will have won 1 game 1-0 and lost 1 1-0l so it then goals to the regular table in which Denmark likely finishes 2nd over Finland by goals scored?

Unless Finland lose 2-3 to Belgium and I can't see Finland scoring twice against Belgium. 

Just now, MIR17 said:

I may be wrong but I think if Denmark beat Russia and Belgium beat Finland (both of which are clear odds-on to happening with the bookies) then Denmark finish 2nd unless Finland scores at least 2 and loses only by 1?

If Denmark win 1-0 then it goes to head to head of which Finland, Russia and Denmark all have the same head to head (all will have won 1 game 1-0 and lost 1 1-0l so it then goals to the regular table in which Denmark likely finishes 2nd over Finland by goals scored?

Unless Finland lose 2-3 to Belgium and I can't see Finland scoring twice against Belgium.

Oh yeh you're right, I forgot about the all-group results getting applied to the three-team mini league when they can't be separated. ****, didn't realise Denmark could still finish second so easily :-/

I just looked it up though and it's a little confusing as to what happens if Denmark win 1-0 and Finland lose 1-2 and therefore are level on GD and GS.

Because the head-to-head record takes into account Denmark Finland and Russia of which they're all level, it's a little unclear if once you've done head-to-head then regular table whether you go back to head-to-head on just the two teams or it goes down to the discipline record of both teams?

I assume it goes down to disciplinary. If the head to head and then regular table hasn't separated one from the pack, which in that scenario it hasn't, then it goes to the next criteria.

And by my calculations Denmark and Russia are level there as well. At least going into this last set of matches

30 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I assume it goes down to disciplinary. If the head to head and then regular table hasn't separated one from the pack, which in that scenario it hasn't, then it goes to the next criteria.

And by my calculations Denmark and Russia are level there as well. At least going into this last set of matches

Yes that's my reading of it too, but the 7th level in the tiebreaker is a penalty shootout if the teams level were playing - but it mentions they have to be drawing in that individual game as well which is what confused me as it kind of suggests going back to head to head record but none of the other levels explicitly say it.

Though Denmark would finish ahead of Russia on GD in the all group games in any situation where they beat them due to Russia's big loss to Belgium, so I believe the discipline record would just be between Denmark and Finland in that situation.

FB_IMG_1624713232828.thumb.jpg.1bcd95a0d3475ba4ee4fd65754b5a0e4.jpg

The FAW have been putting a lot of good media out at the moment in support of Cymru.

Love this one in particular. Love how they embrace songs like Yma O Hyd to help get them hyped.

For those that don't know, Yma O Hyd is a Welsh folk song by Dafydd Iwan. It's always been popular with Welsh language speakers but has been embraced more as a general patriotic song with non Welsh speakers too.

Both Wrexham & Scarlets play it regularly at their games too.

Have added a version of the song with an English translation too.

First time under Page I'm not sure what we were attempting. If we want to be a counter attacking team, there needs to be an attacking option to pass to when we win the ball back.

1 minute ago, Gazza D said:

Made it to the knockouts again, next step has to be getting to a world cup. I just can't be sad watching Wales in a major tournament.

Yeah I know what you mean. 

I think for me. I went into this game wanting the team to lift me after the AWJ stuff and well, they didn't. But overall, to even get to the knockouts for a country our size, with the player pool we have, it's still a massive achievement.

8 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Yeah I know what you mean. 

I think for me. I went into this game wanting the team to lift me after the AWJ stuff and well, they didn't. But overall, to even get to the knockouts for a country our size, with the player pool we have, it's still a massive achievement.

Yeah, I know what you mean about AWJ, but at least now we can focus fully on the Lions!

22 minutes ago, Gazza D said:

Made it to the knockouts again, next step has to be getting to a world cup. I just can't be sad watching Wales in a major tournament.

Not sure the next step is forward. Can't always bank on an improving group of players and the former stars are well into their decline. Country of this size has to accept some ebb and flow and a few players I thought would come on strong two years ago haven't moved much. 

7 minutes ago, swansongs said:

Not sure the next step is forward. Can't always bank on an improving group of players and the former stars are well into their decline. Country of this size has to accept some ebb and flow and a few players I thought would come on strong two years ago haven't moved much. 

I agree we'll probably take a step back. But I look at the younger players, and we have to develop that talent, because there is potential in every position.

58 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

First step should be securing Page as full time Wales boss. Give him the WC campaign to see how he takes the youngsters forward.

I really, really, really hope not. We're in a bind with Giggs but when that's sorted we need an actual manager, not the guy who looked limited even with the u21s. Shouldn't hand the caretaker a permanent gig just because the ship didn't sink.

Yeah, Page will need to stay for the time being. As i've said before and elsewhere, I think Giggs is done regardless of the outcome of the trial.  If he's found guilty, he'll immediately have his contract terminated. If he's found not guilty, they'll release a joint statement saying that they've mutually agreed that the best thing for him right now is to step away to deal with his own personal situation.

Page needs to do well during the next period for him to be considered fulltime, but otherwise, I think i'd rather him be involved with the setup still, but with somebody else coming onboard.