Match 8 Scotland vs Czech Republic 2pm (BST) Hampden Park Live on BBC One

thefmveteran86

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• thefmveteran86 changed the title to Match 8 Scotland vs Czech Republic 2pm (BST) Hampden Park Live on BBC One
2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Wonder what he feels like.

Back when he was a big talent with Sampdoria, he failed his Juve medical because of some inconclusive heart tests.

His technique used to remind me of RvP, a style very easy on the eye

Edited by Baptista_8

Could be an interesting game with both teams probably thinking this is their best chance of getting a win. They won't be playing for a draw that's for sure, but might be cagey to begin with.

On the one hand I would like to see Scotland get through. 

On the other hand I think Friday's game against England could be an absolute horror show if they have already got three points on the board.

Would be better if they had to come out on Friday and play a bit.

Edited by Rob1981

9 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Gilmour gonna start? A Gilmour-McTominay-McGinn midfield doesn't look too shabby, if McGinn can hit some form.

McTominay's been used quite often as a centre back of late hasn't he? With the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 being used to accommodate both Robertson and Tierney at LWB and LCB. I'd guess a midfield of McGregor and McGinn would be most likely.

A few thoughts come to mind on a special day for the country. Firstly, my maternal family are Czecho-Slovaks, split between the outskirts of Prague/Brno and Bratislava. I'm a Slavic-Scot. This would have been an occasion for some family to come to Glasgow for the Czech Republic's games at Hampden, but Covid had other ideas. Pity. 

Secondly, what a day for the country of Scotland. 1998 the last time we had an interest in an international tournament. I was only five years old then! The national team have suffered a lot of humiliations and heartbreak since then. We've messed things up plenty of times, but back in 2008 we came very close to getting out of a difficult group to reach Euro 2008. France and Italy were the front-runners, but we took the Italians right down to the final game at Hampden, losing 1-2 in a controversial encounter. That campaign we did the double over France with James McFadden scoring a famous goal in Paris. I remember the atmosphere in Glasgow around the Italy game. Everyone was right up for it. There was a belief that we could do it. Shop workers had their faces painted, musicians on the street were belting out Scottish songs. I ended up crammed into a small room with twenty people to watch the game, drinking horrible Tennent's Lager (underage, yes :D) and cursing the cheating Italians. It was a memorable day and I have been desperate to experience something like it again. It's a real pity that we won't have full capacity at Hampden today, because Scottish fans are great. It would have been an incredible noise. 

Finally, on the actual football front, the Czechs are favourites for me. They are a more technically gifted team. I just want Scotland to have a go. This should be the start of a cycle of qualifying for major tournaments. There's no real pressure on us as far as I'm concerned. We got to the Euros courtesy of the new format and very nervy penalty shootouts against Israel and Serbia. We're not at the level of the other teams in the group. But anything can happen. I just want to enjoy the first time I've witnessed Scotland at a major tournament with any sort of idea of what's going on. All I can remember from 1998 is the theme tune of the World Cup. We're a nation that has learned to laugh at our own failures, and our humour is very self-deprecating. It would be nice to have something to boast about for once. 

My first game with my half Scottish son whose old enough now to appreciate it and my Scottish wife.  My last time watching Scotland in a major tourney was also my first year in Scotland so I can't wait for this.

I don't have actual ancestral connections with any European country but my great-grandfather did do his law degree in Edinburgh so I would love to see Scotland do well here.

Also because this is the first international tournament Scotland have qualified for in my lifetime. :D

Edited by Darius1998

9 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Win here all but puts us into the 16s imo

Quote right McBB - our new major tournament mascot!

I remember 1998 very well. I rushed home from work to watch the rest of the Morocco match and in those days the old TVs took a few seconds to warm up - you heard the sound before seeing the pictures. As soon as I switched on, all I heard was Barry Davies saying "calamity upon calamity for Scotland" and the pictures came up just as Burley had been sent off and we were 2-0 down in a game we had to win.

Still, great excitement in the Sons FC household today (as I hope everywhere else Scottish). Sons FC Jr, while being half English will be supporting Scotland, Mrs Sons FC (who doesn't like football) will keep half an eye on the game and will also be wanting Scotland to win.

Like many others, I am more interested in us having a go than sitting back. I would rather lose 3-1 trying than lose 1-0 or 2-0 trying to keep it tight.

Every other team in the group will see us as their easiest game and will attack us, so let's see if we get the tactic and shape right to deal with it.

1 minute ago, bestbrother said:

First minute I want someone kicked, go in hard, leave everything in on it, let them know its football, not lets make friends passing it around time :mad:

think you need to go back a few decades, days of Bremner/Souness ;)

noticed 2008 mentioned above, that Georgia game in that qualifying section was typical Scotland.  We did the hard bit (beating France away and home) and then lost 2-0 to Georgia to lose the advantage after being in the top 2 for most of that group

3 minutes ago, TM said:

E31szY2WYAAZi6v?format=jpg&name=medium

a very negative looking team, 5 at the back and one upfront I think?

creativity on the bench but certainly not positive looking

Adams for Christie and Tierney for Hanley then i agree with the rest. 

3 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

How good are the Czechs?

Clarke in a tough position because he'll want something but doesn't want to over commit too early. Arguably the easiest of the three matches so hopefully this doesn't backfire. 

Creativity wise, surely better than Scotland, but their defense is questionable, especially with Pavlenka out.

If it was on a neutral ground, I think Czechia would win it, but in Glasgow? Can go either way.

Edited by GunmaN1905

The best thing you can say about the team is that there are options on the bench. 

The Czechs are technically good. They can play some nice intricate stuff. We'll have to cut out the silly mistakes that we are known for. No nonsense defending and a battling spirit. Follow Finland's example. 

having to play League 1-Liam over Tierney must have influenced Clarke here to be more cautious - can see it playing into Czechs hands though as I don't see a quick counterattacking threat in that Scottish XI