Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nordan said:

What? Even the most ardent Inglander has to admit NOT going to the final on that path would be complete, utter failure.

No offense :)

You're saying this is the first test, which is bollocks, I'm sorry. Sure, after beating Germany we should have made the final, but before Croatia everyone goes on about how difficult it will be, before Germany people talk about how they're going to show their strength and ease past us, and before Denmark people talk about what a threat they are, look how many goals they've scored, they're so much better then you think, and then we outplay them.

Not going to argue there's no luck with the side of the draw, but saying the final ffs is the first test is just nonsense, and seems pretty clearly intended to downplay the England team. It's not like we've bungled our way through either. Sure, the football for a lot of the time hasn't been thrill a minute, but it's incredibly solid defensively, and we've been in control for every game - aside from some poorer periods particularly against Germany and Denmark.

Where is the luck? If we had finished second in the group and won the last 16 match we'd have played France, and our last 16 match when winning the group was always going to be France, Germany, Portugal or Hungary which seems to me like it's been set up for us to get knocked out at the first reasonable opportunity

11 minutes ago, Nordan said:

What? Even the most ardent Inglander has to admit NOT going to the final on that path would be complete, utter failure.

No offense :)

Sorry this feels like nonsense. England were always worried by that 2nd round stage against at the time France, Germany, Portugal. All of whom posed a big threat. France were considered tournament favourites FFS. Pure tournament record against Germany is well known and not good. 

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

You're saying this is the first test, which is bollocks, I'm sorry. Sure, after beating Germany we should have made the final, but before Croatia everyone goes on about how difficult it will be, before Germany people talk about how they're going to show their strength and ease past us, and before Denmark people talk about what a threat they are, look how many goals they've scored, they're so much better then you think, and then we outplay them.

Not going to argue there's no luck with the side of the draw, but saying the final ffs is the first test is just nonsense, and seems pretty clearly intended to downplay the England team. It's not like we've bungled our way through either. Sure, the football for a lot of the time hasn't been thrill a minute, but it's incredibly solid defensively, and we've been in control for every game - aside from some poorer periods particularly against Germany and Denmark.

I said REAL test. There is a difference. Germany not what they used to be but no walkover fwiw.

I've already said England seem unstoppable so no, not downplaying the team. This is the first game I'm thinking you could lose. :)

10 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

If only Football was straight forward like that. Ask France and Holland 

You don't think the French consider this a complete, utter 'disaster'? Holland too probably going out to the Czechs but they weren't favourites beyond a QF.

7 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Where is the luck? If we had finished second in the group and won the last 16 match we'd have played France, and our last 16 match when winning the group was always going to be France, Germany, Portugal or Hungary which seems to me like it's been set up for us to get knocked out at the first reasonable opportunity

Tbf if Spain won their group we'd have likely had them in the quarter final instead of Ukraine, so there was some luck there with them not winning their group.

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Tbf if Spain won their group we'd have likely had them in the quarter final instead of Ukraine, so there was some luck there with them not winning their group.

I don't want to downplay Germany, that win was huge because of the history between the two as you already said, but you would have a way more difficult time against either Portugal or France, Germany was the best matchup if we talk tactical setups.

14 minutes ago, Nordan said:

You don't think the French consider this a complete, utter 'disaster'? Holland too probably going out to the Czechs but they weren't favourites beyond a QF.

Of course they do but point is no game is a cert. France would have expected progress further but turns out the Swiss were a 'test'. 

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I don't want to downplay Germany, that win was huge because of the history between the two as you already said, but you would have a way more difficult time against either Portugal or France, Germany was the best matchup if we talk tactical setups.

Do you think Germany consider this tournament a mild failure, complete utter failure or par for the course? 

This isn't a troll. And not really aimed at you. Just curious generally. Open to everyone

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Do you think Germany consider this tournament a mild failure, complete utter failure or par for the course? 

This isn't a troll. And not really aimed at you. Just curious generally. Open to everyone

From what I've seen, they weren't optimistic because everyone knew Low should've been gone after 2018, if not earlier.
Their squad had some glaring flaws and they weren't top contenders.

But they're surely disappointed because winning against England would mean they'd have a relatively easy path to the potential final.

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

If Muller scores and Germany went on to beat us, they'd be in the final tomorrow and we'd all be praising how they have the big game mentality and always deliver when it matters. 

Same with all these attempts to provide narrative to tournaments (beyond blindingly obvious ones like Peak Spain being great and losing to Iceland suggesting something was wrong with our tactics.  Miss a penalty against Colombia and nobody would have been writing about how ex-manager Gareth Southgate made players proud to wear the shirt and brought the country together. Score a penalty or two against Portugal and nobody writes nonsense about how all 2004/2006 team hated wearing the shirt and couldn't stand each each other

Edited by enigmatic

7 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

from what I've seen online it felt like a failure because of how the draw has opened up but a lot of Germans wanted rid of Low after the real failure of 2018 and then his backtracking on certain players

this is more a "on paper" rather than the way the games went.  On paper in 1992, people wouldn't have expected Denmark to beat a Germany who had came off winning the 1990 World Cup but they did.  I think Germany would have got past Ukraine but Denmark would have been an interesting match for this German side and certainly not a walkover as some people might think on paper.  On paper when people saw that draw, most thought whoever won from England V Germany was in the final

too many "on paper" there I think :lol:

Best off asking a German for how they feel.

IMO it was par for the course for the team they had and the draw they were presented with because England are a better team. It's not like they got out their group and ran into Czech Republic in the R16 because England somehow ****ed it up. They had a tough draw, a team that wasn't as good as other big nations, and unfortunately ran into one of those in R16. 

It would be like saying Belgium's tournament was a failure.

8 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Best off asking a German for how they feel.

IMO it was par for the course for the team they had and the draw they were presented with because England are a better team. It's not like they got out their group and ran into Czech Republic in the R16 because England somehow ****ed it up. They had a tough draw, a team that wasn't as good as other big nations, and unfortunately ran into one of those in R16. 

It would be like saying Belgium's tournament was a failure.

Yeah I don't know. It feels like they would be disapointed, maybe more by the fact if they beat Hungary they'd top the group and avoided England. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

Yeah I don't know. It feels like they would be disapointed, maybe more by the fact if they beat Hungary they'd top the group and avoided England. 

I still think they'll be disappointed because it's Germany, their history is incredible and they expect to beat big nations regardless. And they probably expected to beat England in R16. But if they're being honest with themselves, England have a better team and it would have taken a special performance to win.

I think the Hungary game probably acted like a reality check after the Portugal game?

they did play well against Portugal but that defence was terrible, especially Semedo who let Gosens do what he wanted

9 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

They didn't want to avoid England.

They started wasting time as soon as they equalized. Didn't want to win.

The logic is understanable. Only England on one side, with everyone else on other. Losing in first knockout round looks bad, but the risk/reward was way higher than it would've been if they won the group.

9 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The logic is understanable. Only England on one side, with everyone else on other. Losing in first knockout round looks bad, but the risk/reward was way higher than it would've been if they won the group.

Not sure they thought that far ahead. Not like they planned to draw before game They were close to losing the game and going out, and once level didn't wanna risk anything against a pumped up Hungary side backed by mental fans.

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm sure they wanted to avoid England, but oddly they didn't think it was worth risking going out of the tournament completely to avoid them.

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

Of course they do but point is no game is a cert. France would have expected progress further but turns out the Swiss were a 'test'. 

3-1 up with 10+ minutes to go, they were in full swing planning the final I guess. I know no game is a cert but expectations are there when you're 'big nation'.

I don't have to worry about that. :D

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Italy training in Tottenham's camp, pack it up lads, it's over.

Another proof that the tournament was rigged. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Marius_R

22 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

What you on about. Channel 4 is showing John Wick, Film4 Pitch Perfect 3 and 5 Star is showing Robocop. ITV2 Step Up, ITV4 Bourne Idendity and E4 Crocodile bloddy Dundee :D

They go to Italy for a bit in Pitch Perfect 3. Ffs TV so biased :(

18 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yeah looks like it’s just the darkest hour on bbc1 from what I can see?

I genuinely missed that when looking on the tv guide app. Was looking at 9pm plus. So I'll give him that one.

I've never seen Sex and the City 2 (9pm itvbe) so will have to leave that one in the unsure column.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

24 hours to go.

Stay calm, lads. Stay calm... OH I CAN'T STAY CALM LADS I'M TOO FRIGGING EXCITED!!!1 :lol:

Meanwhile, the Queen / Her Maj / Liz 2 has given Gareth the Atomic Kitten treatment.

Lizzy the Lizard. 

1 hour ago, Heartwork said:

TV stations going all in with the war movies (because that's a perfect analogy to football) is really making me ambivalent towards who wins.

I also let TV stations dictate my emotions 

Edited by ajw10

You ever get one of those deep feelings before a big football match that you can't shake like you know something is going to happen??

For some reason I have it in my head that Kalvin Phillips is going to be a big part in tomorrow's game either as the hero or the villain. 

I've had them before a couple of times and they have pretty much come true. 

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

What you on about. Channel 4 is showing John Wick, Film4 Pitch Perfect 3 and 5 Star is showing Robocop. ITV2 Step Up, ITV4 Bourne Idendity and E4 Crocodile bloddy Dundee :D

Used to love a bit of Step Up back in the day :cool::D

14 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

You ever get one of those deep feelings before a big football match that you can't shake like you know something is going to happen??

For some reason I have it in my head that Kalvin Phillips is going to be a big part in tomorrow's game either as the hero or the villain. 

I've had them before a couple of times and they have pretty much come true. 

@georginho_juventusygris out football fortune teller, ask him :onmehead: