Fm21 crashing on new laptop

Hi all

im having some issues with fm21 crashing on my brand new laptop. My laptop specs are i7-1075, gtx1660ti 6gb, 8gb ram ddr4, 512gb nvme.

I have downloaded some logo, face packs and kit packs, the face pack was a particularly large download and took a while.

I loaded the game up and selected 20 plus leagues with about 70k players this was showing as two star performance but saw online that this rating isnt very accurate. About ten times in a row when going to choose a team it would freeze completely. I then lowered the performance on my laptop from ultra to medium and that actually seemed to help, managed to pick a team but then it crashed during the save game process. I’ve now actually managed to start a save with this database and progressed a few days in game and it’s processing quick but I’m worried it’s going to crash again.

ive tried all the troubleshooting tips online but it didn’t really seem to help and my fan is going like crazy when I play fm.

is it just a case that I’m demanding to much from my laptop with the amount of players loaded as well as the graphics packs ? On task manager it show my cpu usage is 35 percent when playing but my memory is 80 percent I also have nothing else running in the background while playing.

sorry for the essay here but I’m not very good with computers and so any help would really be appreciated.

Well, first of all, I'd advise you to remove everything you have downloaded and added to the game and see if it happens when the game is totally vanilla. If it does, then try this:

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015199257-How-to-Delete-my-Preferences-and-or-Caches-Folder#text

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015264518-How-to-Verify-the-integrity-of-FM-s-files#text

Then try again. If it still happens, then you need to log a ticket to get help from SEGA:

http://fm21.info/support-ticket

If it works in vanilla or after following the guides, then the error is caused by something you downloaded. Perhaps some of the packs contradict each other or something. I would start by adding a couple of things at a time, and then try again and see when it crashes. Just work your way though whatever you have. If you pinpoint what causes it, then don't use it, or question the place you got it from as to why it causes these things for you. Perhaps they can fix it.

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, first of all, I'd advise you to remove everything you have downloaded and added to the game and see if it happens when the game is totally vanilla. If it does, then try this:

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015199257-How-to-Delete-my-Preferences-and-or-Caches-Folder#text

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015264518-How-to-Verify-the-integrity-of-FM-s-files#text

Then try again. If it still happens, then you need to log a ticket to get help from SEGA:

If it works in vanilla or after following the guides, then the error is caused by something you downloaded. Perhaps some of the packs contradict each other or something. I would start by adding a couple of things at a time, and then try again and see when it crashes. Just work your way though whatever you have. If you pinpoint what causes it, then don't use it, or question the place you got it from as to why it causes these things for you. Perhaps they can fix it.

Hello thanks for the fast response I actually did the first two things that you linked as that was suggested online for troubleshooting, I will remove the stuff I’ve downloaded tonight and go from there.

Thanks again

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

Also just curious whether you think it might be a performance issue that could be causing the crashes ?

Just now, Gilkesy said:

Also just curious whether you think it might be a performance issue that could be causing the crashes ?

I have no idea, honestly. Do you get a crash dump message? Or does it just crash and no trace? If you get a crash dump, then the game crashed because of a runtime-error most likely (and those are rarely caused by performance, unless it's waiting for something...), but more likely by an error in a file somewhere like a graphic pointing at two things when the code expects one thing only. If the computer just restarts then I'd say heating or something, but that's just guessing.

I'm simplifying things a bit, but it could give you an idea based on what happens.

9 minutes ago, Gilkesy said:

With the specs of that laptop, you shouldn't be having performance issues if everything is working as it should.

34 minutes ago, XaW said:

I have no idea, honestly. Do you get a crash dump message? Or does it just crash and no trace? If you get a crash dump, then the game crashed because of a runtime-error most likely (and those are rarely caused by performance, unless it's waiting for something...), but more likely by an error in a file somewhere like a graphic pointing at two things when the code expects one thing only. If the computer just restarts then I'd say heating or something, but that's just guessing.

I'm simplifying things a bit, but it could give you an idea based on what happens.

No it just freezes and then won’t respond I’ve probably done something wrong when downloading one of the packs as like I said I’m pretty hopeless with laptops as I’ve always been a console game, I’ll have a look tonight and have a mess around with it 

29 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

With the specs of that laptop, you shouldn't be having performance issues if everything is working as it should.

Based on the conversations I’ve had with you over the past week I can’t see it being a performance issue either but it’s just strange as I could have sworn I followed all the download instructions for the skin, face pack and logo packs I downloaded.

11 minutes ago, Gilkesy said:

Based on the conversations I’ve had with you over the past week I can’t see it being a performance issue either but it’s just strange as I could have sworn I followed all the download instructions for the skin, face pack and logo packs I downloaded.

Add-ons can cause issues - personally I'd try setting up your game and then, once your game's database is fully set up try loading in the graphics packs one-by-one and seeing if one particular pack is causing an issue.  But definitely try it without the graphics first.

Are you getting any error messages at all?

Edited by kevhamster

11 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Add-ons can cause issues - personally I'd try setting up your game and then, once your game's database is fully set up try loading in the graphics packs one-by-one and seeing if one particular pack is causing an issue.  But definitely try it without the graphics first.

Are you getting any error messages at all?

Not getting any error messages checked the crash dump file in my sports interactive folder and there are two images in there. Don’t know if you’re familiar with any add on packs but the ones I’m using are the TCM logo pack which I’ve got in my graphics folder, the cutout faces pack which is in my graphics folder, a skin which is in the skin folder and then just some 2d and 3D kits that I used on my old laptop in my graphics and then kits folder 

In this type of situation, knowing that the machine should have no issues running the game, you need to start at the beginning and go from there.  This means a clean install, no add-ons or downloads and see how that goes.  I would also ensure that the driver on the graphics card is fully updated as this can sometimes be overlooked in a new machine.

Hmm, strange... I'd take a look on your Nvidia card too. Make sure the driver is updated, and that it is made compatible with FM. Try their app GeForce Experience. Let us know if it works. Good luck!

PS: I don't think it's the face/logo packs that are causing the problem though, but you should try a clean reinstall of FM without them...

Edited by phd_angel