*Official* Football Manager 2022 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah SI changed the way it's done for FM22. 

What are they judging these values on? Like I know Josh Doig is highly rated and been linked with big moves but never in a million years would Hibs get anywhere near 18-23 million for him. Arsenal refused to pay their asking price of 5 million in real life according to reports.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, doing my AZ save way in the future, board expects me finish top half of the table (AZ hasn't been in the best shape in recent times), generally great start to the season and then I run into a heavy loss at home against a relegation candidate.

Then I remembered! New Team Meeting options after a match! They should be perfect here right?! So I tell my team that we're still doing ok and that they shouldn't let their heads hang after one result and....

Yep, entire team flips out at me. How dare I "praise" them when they clearly haven't been good enough! We managed to fight our way through to the EC2 group stage (knocking out Lyon in the process!), are first in the group and still 4th in the league (where once again, I'm expected to finish in the top half). But clearly we're doing horrible. :seagull:

Luckily I saved because I knew how nonsense these meetings can be, redid it, told the team to stop being **** and entire team is now hyped because clearly we were performing horrible after 2 whole losses in the league. :seagull:

I apologise in advance if I’ve put this in the wrong place but I’ve only just joined up. The league cup doesn’t let you use 5 subs from the fourth round and also name 9 on the bench from reading the comp rules. I am watching Leeds vs Arsenal now and it’s the case in this game.

20 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

There is a massive difference between home advantage and what happens on FM.

If you have some stats as to how often the home team wins in reality vs how often they're winning in FM I'm sure they'll have a look at it. Off-hand comments about thinking it's too far in one direction don't really offer much to work with.

2 minutes ago, M.o.t87 said:

I apologise in advance if I’ve put this in the wrong place but I’ve only just joined up. The league cup doesn’t let you use 5 subs from the fourth round and also name 9 on the bench from reading the comp rules. I am watching Leeds vs Arsenal now and it’s the case in this game.

It allows for 5 subs, but only in 3 stops. I haven't tested myself, but if you cannot do 5 in 3 stops, then please report it in the bug tracker.

1 ora fa, Sneaky Pete ha scritto:

Not necessarily. The two are correlated, in the sense that they both tend to presuppose good technical ability, but that correlation is far from perfect.

I wouldn't want Pippo Inzaghi taking any free kicks for my team, for example.

Serie A (and football in general) 90's-00's was so hard that it make us think that some players were technically poor. 

20 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

If you have some stats as to how often the home team wins in reality vs how often they're winning in FM I'm sure they'll have a look at it. Off-hand comments about thinking it's too far in one direction don't really offer much to work with.

The second person to miss the point. My issue isn't that teams win at home, my issue is in the disparity of the performance between the home and away games. Teams don't just get slapped because they dare to play football away from home against an evenly matched team.

2 saat önce, RocheBag said:

Can hear the Real Madrid manager saying "sure I'm winning but I feel like I'm managing UEFA Crossing Simulator!"

The fact is most attacks in real football are built from the wings because every team on earth defends by taking away the middle. It's just football. Literally 90% of the open play goals in this video are from crosses.

I don't know if you have the game but crosses from very wide positions -from touchline etc.- are also very effective. The problem is about  accuracy of that crosses (sometimes wrong foot players can make also very good cross) or marking of the defender. Both can be problem or only one maybe. Anyway there is some central play but mainly from fast attacks not from possession play. Mesut Özil (AM position) in my Fenerbahçe game doesn't contribute much about assists. Although data hub says he is central  player connecting passes.  Currently players with good heading is more valuable in this beta engine. I hope to see similar balanced engine like in FM'21.

On 25/10/2021 at 19:34, kertiek said:

Automatic subs still happen when I use match plans and uncheck allow substitutions, I reported this  bug 4 years ago, I been reporting it on every release, in beta stage and after full release, they just refuse to fix it and frankly at this point I give up.

I have now played 4 games using match plans and unchecked allow substitutions, and automatic subs have thankfully not happened once in my game.  

But if this keeps happening in your game you should definately report it as a bug, even if you have done that several times.

7 minutes ago, Robbie Hood said:

I have now played 4 games using match plans and unchecked allow substitutions, and automatic subs have thankfully not happened once in my game.  

But if this keeps happening in your game you should definately report it as a bug, even if you have done that several times.

some games works ... other games i get 1+ substitutions at min 10

no, am not reporting it again, 6+ times is enough tries to get si games attention on this

19 minutes ago, rdbayly said:
  • I'm starting to wonder if the new animation engine has had an unexpected knock-on effect for wide players (e.g. these grossly overly-represented pivots and turns appear to completely dumbfound full backs, but seldom occur anywhere else on the pitch). They are bombing countless laser-guided crosses on to to the foreheads of 5'8 forwards. 

• I have never scored and conceded more headers in a single season. It's a massive shame we had such a balanced ME last year and now the emphasis has shifted to around 90/10 in favour of crosses as the main staple of chance creation. Headers from corners are flat out broken, but the developers have acknowledged this in the Bugs forum.

• On a turnover of possession, central attacking players like the CM(a), instead of driving through the middle now drive to the corner flag

• Inverted wingers and inside forwards are simply not working as they should. They are not making sufficient out to in runs or cutting inside enough. They LOVE the corner flags

This is only the BETA so no point losing it. All I'll say is if this is what we end up with, there is a fantastic game called FM21 that I'll be updating the database for very soon.

This is a massive turn back for me

I hope someone will open new topic with PKM's about this because i don't think their team working on it to fix it

On 23/10/2021 at 09:40, DarJ said:

crosses.png.68edb8fb31cefbeb33853bf09afb1356.png

goals.png.6ad984b912faf93a2a294ff15d50ccaa.png

Most of my goals are from crosses but Like I said previously, I'm playing 2 wingbacks and a winger who are expected to cross so that could be why I'm seeing these numbers. When I look at the types of goals scored only few are from headers

Where the hell are these screens accessed from now please?

Not seeing too many 4-4-2's or 4-5-1's in the non leagues of England two of the most common tactics for a lower league. Just looked at the Conference, North and South and across the 3 divisions just 4 set up with 4-4-2 and 1 with 4-5-1. The rest are all weird 3-5-2 WB formations!

I think combined with the passing accuracy a lot needs to be done to have a clear definition between a high standard of play and a low one on the ME. It should be easy to diferentate between the two when watching two different matches. HOOF it

Edited by Domoboy23

Update:

I haven't given SI much praise with the match engine for a few years, but with the update to the beta today I am mighty impressed with the changes. This is the best the match engine has felt for some time - don't go and ruin it! Well done.

8 hours ago, Pompey1978 said:

image.png.0619b33c3fd652a3509d0836f7f6c7b0.png

Nice touch. Just don't look at the result.

I said don't look!

This makes me laugh ..

Maximum £110K, Hahahaha... I bet that would have a massive effect of the Multi-Millions salary they receive... How generous of them!

Just now, nicko said:

This makes me laugh ..

Maximum £110K, Hahahaha... I bet that would have a massive effect of the Multi-Millions salary they receive... How generous of them!

Adding to that, How does that Improve the "Ever so broken non so Realistic Transfer system?..

But I guess some people are satisfied with material messages Hahaha

I vaguely remember being able to save highlights after a game. Have they moved or removed this feature or am I just going blind? I'd like to share a few gifs but all I am able to save are the pkm files. 

Anyway, back to feedback: I have to rethink half my past criticism because some of it came from the combination of a small screen and playing at 100% zoom. Now at 85% the amount of data on screen is far more to my liking.

I just had my first youth intake and I like the presentation. While I am usually a fetishist for long and hard lists, having some order and staff feedback is also nice for a quickie every once in a while. 

I am still not a fan of the fast progression a board kickstarts at overperformance. Playing as Freiburg, a quadrupling of budget feels wrong, even if I miraculously reached the Champion's League. If I use that budget and fail to repeat the act, the club would not be able to pay its obligations in real life and would go down. Hard! I'd file it as a bug but it happened for so many years in a row, I feel like it is a wanted feature. 

1 hour ago, JPChenet said:

Update:

I haven't given SI much praise with the match engine for a few years, but with the update to the beta today I am mighty impressed with the changes. This is the best the match engine has felt for some time - don't go and ruin it! Well done.

They didnt even made change to the ME in this patch

I have right now FM 21 ME is better, but with the right tweaks FM 22 ME has potential to be better 

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but they fixed Anchor Man ratings. In FM21 the Anchor Man was usually one of my best players, but he couldn't get a good rating no matter what. Now it seems like they can get good rating, which is amazing

Match engine is decent overall, but I really hope they fix the crossing situation. It's not even just the number of crosses, it's the type of cross. Run to the byline, high looping cross that looks awkward, striker heads it over (or ocassionally in), repeat ad nauseum. The 'Low crosses' and 'hit early crosses' instructions are largely ignored, and central play is rare. At first I thought it was just me, but every video and stream I've seen has the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Match engine is decent overall, but I really hope they fix the crossing situation. It's not even just the number of crosses, it's the type of cross. Run to the byline, high looping cross that looks awkward, striker heads it over (or ocassionally in), repeat ad nauseum. The 'Low crosses' and 'hit early crosses' instructions are largely ignored, and central play is rare. At first I thought it was just me, but every video and stream I've seen has the same thing. 

Yeah, the ball being played almost behind the striker too with the attackers ''attacking'' the ball from a standing still stationary position or having to move behind themselves which doesn't generate power and looks unnatural, rather than attacking the ball and gathering momentum. Just doesn't look or feel real

4 hours ago, ScottishFM said:

What are they judging these values on? Like I know Josh Doig is highly rated and been linked with big moves but never in a million years would Hibs get anywhere near 18-23 million for him. Arsenal refused to pay their asking price of 5 million in real life according to reports.

I actually love the idea behind the new transfer values. Instead of reflecting an abstract number of no importance they now show you how the clube values a player.

Remember in previous Fm when you'd go to make an offer and suggest the market value to see how the clube responded? FM has essentially cut that step and just straight up shows you what they want and you can negotiate from there, with ridiculous values (the 160-200Ms) for young players being essentialy an hands off response before you even consider asking. I'm yet to play around for going in on one of these kids and see if when the bid is rejected they (like our players) through an hissy fit over their asking price (If someone has tried pls tell me).

I sign a player only for him to come after a month to ask to leave to get a better chance of getting an international call up???

And then thinks his release clause is unrealistic but then agrees to a promise to be sold at a price higher than said release clause??? What?  :idiot: 

It's one thing to leave your feedback, which is perfectly fine. But I'm intrigued by the number of people who expect a beta release of FM 22 to be as good as a game (FM 21) that already had multiple patches applied to it. This is unreasonable, is it not?

These people should take note that the beta period was changed from 2 weeks to 3 weeks. I take that as a sign from SI that they are putting more importance into getting things right before a full release. But that still doesn't mean perfection should be expected right from the get go. Coding the match engine is not like making a tic-tac-toe game, especially when adding one part to it requires you to tweak all the parts that already exist :).

Anyway, I'm actually posting to ask a question, because so many people have said that FM 21 has a good balance of central vs. wide play. As I skipped FM 21 and am still playing FM 20, I'm getting curious about this. Are there people here who acknowledge that FM 21 had better central play, but at the same time believe FM 22 is still (in its current state) the superior engine to be playing with? Because I don't see those people being vocal right now.

4 minutes ago, WizbaII said:

people who expect a beta release of FM 22 to be as good as a game (FM 21) that already had multiple patches applied to it

Always the way. Seem to be a lot of people who don't understand the concept of a beta release and think they're just paying to play the finished game early. It would help if people would realise that the very point of the beta is to find the bugs, UI issues, and bits of the match engine that need tweaking.

As to your question, I think FM21 was the best version of the game ever. FM22 has the potential to be even better - I'm seeing plenty of central play, and I'm not seeing an over-emphasis on wide play and crossing - but right now it's a beta version and I have no doubt we'll see multiple improvements in the match engine before release. And if people aren't being vocal about their happiness with the game, I'd guess it's because we can't stand the pantomime arguments (Oh yes it is! Oh no it isn't!!)

33 minutes ago, warlock said:

Always the way. Seem to be a lot of people who don't understand the concept of a beta release and think they're just paying to play the finished game early. It would help if people would realise that the very point of the beta is to find the bugs, UI issues, and bits of the match engine that need tweaking.

As to your question, I think FM21 was the best version of the game ever. FM22 has the potential to be even better - I'm seeing plenty of central play, and I'm not seeing an over-emphasis on wide play and crossing - but right now it's a beta version and I have no doubt we'll see multiple improvements in the match engine before release. And if people aren't being vocal about their happiness with the game, I'd guess it's because we can't stand the pantomime arguments (Oh yes it is! Oh no it isn't!!)

I think a lot of us realize that this is early beta and are vocal precisely because of that. We are trying to influence the direction of the tweaks to come. I know I'm way more vocal and active than I other wise would be if the match engine was in its final form.

I am definitely one of the folks touting the issues with central play and strength of crossing, but I want to be clear the FM22 engine is really good. I think 21 is better, but I do expect 22 final to surpass it. And when you consider the other improvements like the datahub, there is no question I will be sticking with 22.

Once it gets full release, I will build tactics and teams that suit this ME and be happy with it. But so long as it's still open to influence, I'm definitely going to try to make my opinion heard, especially when I know the ME is capable of resolving the issues I am seeing because I don't see those same issues in FM21. 

2 minutes ago, VinceLombardi said:

We are trying to influence the direction of the tweaks to come

Glad to hear it :thup:. My problem is that there seem to be certain rules in the beta feedback thread:

1. If I've seen a thing once, it happens to everyone all the time.

2. If I don't remember seeing a thing, it's never happened to anyone, ever.

3. If I can't achieve an outcome in the ME, it's impossible.

Across a number of (short) saves in beta, I have no problem achieving good possession numbers - typically around 55% or a bit better. But I'm already seeing a narrative that says possession is impossible in this ME. I've seen at least two comments in different threads today to the effect that possession is bugged and "SI have already acknowledged the bug". But in a new save I started tonight, having played 4 pre-season games, my possession stats are 54%, 55%, 60% and 48%.

19 minutes ago, VinceLombardi said:

I am definitely one of the folks touting the issues with central play and strength of crossing

And I have no doubt that that's your experience. But it isn't mine. I'm old, and old-fashioned - I like traditional, chalk-on-their-boots wing play, beat the defender (twice!) and whip in the cross for the big man to nod home, and I've never had a problem achieving that. But I also have a great affection for narrow systems like the 4132 and 4312 where the killer ball is played through the middle. In FM18-20, those systems were very difficult if not impossible, but in FM21 I had some of my greatest success that way. And I've seen nothing so far to suggest that they don't work in FM22.

Let's hope we all get what we want for Christmas :)

26 minutes ago, warlock said:

In FM18-20, those systems were very difficult if not impossible, but in FM21 I had some of my greatest success that way. And I've seen nothing so far to suggest that they don't work in FM22.

Oh yeah, it's nowhere near as bad as FM18-20. I think the central attack is viable, but does not come natural to the 22 ME like it did in 21.

Similar to playing a low block, counter attacking system in 21. Sure you can tweak it out to make it work, but you are really working against the grain and in the back of your head you know your team would be better if you just abandoned it and embraced the high press. 

Offensively, I think FM21 really nailed a good balance. You could build most any attacking system. There were definitely some limitations on the defensive side, but offensively, it was all available to you. Possession systems, playing direct, wing play, route one, etc. I feel like some of that has been lost in the middle of the park, particularly in front of the box and the interchange between central attackers and your central pivots.

Edited by VinceLombardi

8 hours ago, McBride said:

The trophy presenting scene is exactly the same. 'keeper still does a cartwheel.

You think it would of been improved.  Disappointing really as it would not have taken much effort

Edited by prot651

9 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Luckily I saved because I knew how nonsense these meetings can be, redid it, told the team to stop being **** and entire team is now hyped because clearly we were performing horrible after 2 whole losses in the league

Good that you saved it. Now you can report it in bug forum with the save uploaded to the cloud :)

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Glad to hear it :thup:. My problem is that there seem to be certain rules in the beta feedback thread:

1. If I've seen a thing once, it happens to everyone all the time.

2. If I don't remember seeing a thing, it's never happened to anyone, ever.

3. If I can't achieve an outcome in the ME, it's impossible.

Across a number of (short) saves in beta, I have no problem achieving good possession numbers - typically around 55% or a bit better. But I'm already seeing a narrative that says possession is impossible in this ME. I've seen at least two comments in different threads today to the effect that possession is bugged and "SI have already acknowledged the bug". But in a new save I started tonight, having played 4 pre-season games, my possession stats are 54%, 55%, 60% and 48%.

And I have no doubt that that's your experience. But it isn't mine. I'm old, and old-fashioned - I like traditional, chalk-on-their-boots wing play, beat the defender (twice!) and whip in the cross for the big man to nod home, and I've never had a problem achieving that. But I also have a great affection for narrow systems like the 4132 and 4312 where the killer ball is played through the middle. In FM18-20, those systems were very difficult if not impossible, but in FM21 I had some of my greatest success that way. And I've seen nothing so far to suggest that they don't work in FM22.

Let's hope we all get what we want for Christmas :)

55% is not good possession. For players that love creating tactics where you dominate the ball, 55% on average is really bad. 

For beta's there is never a detalled change log (normal, since it's a beta and they are still working on hundreds of things in parallel before releasing the official release product)

But here you can see it's mainly about speed (like UI lagging)

So far I'm liking the match ratings. The system is relatively quick to acknowledge game-deciding players; e.g. players with multiple scorers or a ton of key passes stand out more easily. Similarly, mistakes quite quickly lead to a drop in ratings. But the important thing is: Those kinds of players don't artificially inflate the ratings of their team-mates. Gone are the time where a solid 3-0 resulted in mid-range 7 ratings all over the board and seasons where every single player was in this range due to good team effort.

After a miraculous season winning the Bundesliga with 89 points, only my absolute stars got well-above a 7 throughout the season and there were multiple games where I had to sub low sixes with subsequent disciplinary actions. Despite winning/leading relatively comfortably.

The only significant comment I would make at this stage is that the game's menus seem quite laggy at times. My laptop doesn't have any trouble "continuing" the game/simming results/running the match engine. All of those things are as smooth as you like. But navigating between certain menus can cause some quite significant lag at times, which is a little annoying. Would be interested to hear if anyone is experiencing similar issues.

25 minutes ago, Sledger said:

The only significant comment I would make at this stage is that the game's menus seem quite laggy at times. My laptop doesn't have any trouble "continuing" the game/simming results/running the match engine. All of those things are as smooth as you like. But navigating between certain menus can cause some quite significant lag at times, which is a little annoying. Would be interested to hear if anyone is experiencing similar issues.

It was like that before yesterday's update on my laptop.

Since than, UI has been very responsive for me.

5 hours ago, DB Wit said:

Can only speak for myself, but as someone who has criticized the current ME, I don't do it because I expect it this to be the finished article. The people who've been pointing out the issue with central play in this forum (and providing context and pkms in the bug report) do it precisely because they want the ME to be the best it can be and the developers need to know what is wrong (the whole point of the beta is identifying bugs) in order to improve.

From what I understand, SI are already aware and working on it. As you've said, since it's a ME issue there's no real way of knowing if it'll be fixed by release, if there'll be a patch later on, etc, given it's complexity.

Seeing as you've skipped FM21, it was probably as good a ME as one could hope in that allowed tactical flexibility and made the central space and half spaces viable as well as creating gorgeous colective moves, there were some issues with it concerning fullbacks and marking in certain circumstances but a great base to work upon. FM22 looks phenomenal with the new animations, the issues is that, as it stands, it's a step back from FM21. It feels a bit like an iteration that would've fit between fm20 and fm21 and carried a bug for wide players, forcing them to go to the byline, even the combinations from the central corridor that some people have posted aren't as complex as 21 and they'd still happen in fm20 occasionally.

Again, and as you said, this isn't the finished article and we can only hope that it gets fixed by release so that we can jump straight into our long term saves but, obviously, ppl who are on the beta tend to be players who put a lot of hours in the game and as it stands they have a ME that is less satisfying than 21 and repetitive so it's natural that they'd be disappointed since they'll have to wait until it's fixed to properly get into the game.

I say, let's trust the folks at SI, the beta is longer than the usual 2 weeks, the issue was identified very early on and every year the ME in the beta isn't the same as the one running at launch. I haven't really seen people being disrespectful about it (and I love that about this community) and I'd ask anyone reading this to respect the developers.

This is bang on the money. It's a feedback thread, designed for that very purpose. People only have previous iterations of the game to go on to compare it to, so of course previous editions will be referenced as a benchmark - especially those which were enjoyed.

7 hours ago, warlock said:

Completely agree! The beta is an unpolished product and should be treated as such! 

I do see an over-emphasis on crosses, but it is not a game-breaking ME-bug for me as some people seem to describe it as.