*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

18 minutes ago, teej9 said:

I have similar problems. There is no feedback as to why form swings happen. Team will be rolling along playing nicely and then suddenly nothing works. Which is fine, if there was any feedback as to why. I am guessing watching full matches is the way, but not really what i want to do.

Usually complacency, it often sets in before the AssMan notices and comment it to you

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Usually complacency, it often sets in before the AssMan notices and comment it to you

To add to this sometimes you can come up against a shape is the weakness of the shape you are playing for example if you're playing a 442 and you come across a diamond the AM and DM in that diamond can rip you apart if you don't pay attention

3 minutes ago, DarJ said:

To add to this sometimes you can come up against a shape is the weakness of the shape you are playing for example if you're playing a 442 and you come across a diamond the AM and DM in that diamond can rip you apart if you don't pay attention

absolutely, its often much easier to win by being reactionary rather than sticking to your trusted formation. Even if it means playing players out of position.

But thats more a general thing rather than the form swings that happen during a season and how to negate the negative periods.
Rotating out obvious first 11 choices also often leads to better performances from both them and their replacements, keep your stars on their toes also!

33 minutes ago, (sic) said:

Haven't visited this thread in a while, and I see it's still the same thing over and over. Why are you making excuses for the ME not working properly?

I really am not, I am offering a solution to a problem. Then people get cranky because the solution entices that they are doing something wrong.

I think its a matter of perception how people read the feedback here, but when you see people get a possible solution to a problem they've been outspoken about, and then react with anger, it just doesnt make sense at all IMO. Why even bother complaining if you arent interested in a solution?

On 09/01/2022 at 20:37, markoscouse said:

Lmao it doesn't make sense to update a very poor ME because they'll do a database update in 2 months?

This is the only game I've ever played where you get like 3 patches in a year and everyone just accepts it.

I tend to agree, are SI the only game studio that only supports a game for 4 months after release, old versions never get bug fixes

Got a player called Chris Mueller signing on a free in January from the states, when you click on the player we have no scouting report at all for the player, I find it hard to believe we'd be signing a player without any scouting report whatsoever. One of many little errors in this game that's been there for a long time now and which  never gets addressed.

On 09/01/2022 at 22:37, markoscouse said:

Lmao it doesn't make sense to update a very poor ME because they'll do a database update in 2 months?

This is the only game I've ever played where you get like 3 patches in a year and everyone just accepts it.

Back in the days, SI had a routine with frequently updates. Didn't turned well for them, causing more problems than solving.

Coding is not plug & play; during 1st quarantine took some coding courses; believe me a single fault can cause a lot of problems; especially in a game with more than 2 millions lines.

21 минуту назад, fc.cadoni сказал:

Coding is not plug & play; during 1st quarantine took some coding courses; believe me a single fault can cause a lot of problems; especially in a game with more than 2 millions lines.

20 years ago I created personal webpage just for fun. In notepad. My first code experience.

Oh I hate syntax since this day :D 

1 hour ago, Trugdish said:

I tend to agree, are SI the only game studio that only supports a game for 4 months after release, old versions never get bug fixes

I also don't love the way SI handles their updates, but this is not especially uncommon for games on yearly release cycles.  For example, 2K Sports / Take-2 Publishing released NBA 2K21 in September 2020 and released their last patch in March 2021.  They'll turn off the servers completely later this year, removing or destroying probably 75% of the game.

My major annoyance at the moment is goalkeeper distribution. I have no problem with him going long IF there's no short pass on but when there's a pass 5 yards away, and he hits it long, they win the header and 5 seconds later score, it's infuriating. 

2 hours ago, (sic) said:

Because what you have proposed isn't a solution. The only people that can come up with a solution are the SI. You are again ignoring the core issue here, which is the way the way wide players behave in the ME.

Your "solution" doesn't solve the core issue.

But the problem isn't simply that wide players dont cut inside, it's a problem all over that everyone goes outside instead of attacking the goal, often even in a 1-v-1 with the keeper.

So to simply keep asking SI to make wide men cut inside more often even though it means running into cul de sacs you get that in a less logical ME rather than looking at what I percieve to be the "core issue", that EVERYONE goes outside when there's good opportunity to cut in.

BUT, IF/IWs, unlike strikers, AMCs and B2Bs have a way to negate this. You create space for them to cut into. It actually works, just try to copy liverpools real life tactics, the deep lying firminho and the IF Salah. 

It was way overpowered in FM21, but it still works.

I'd really prefer if SI focused on the nerve wrecking "Keeper saves a shot, loose ball ends up in my CBs feet 1 yard away from the goalie who's on the floor, CB passes it short to goalie who magically flies back up and passes it short back to the CB again all the while the AI attackers are closing it." It makes no sense. And if an opponent striker is first to the loose ball, my goalie just stays on the floor.

Also when attackers are faced back to goal on inside the box they backpass to a CB rather than try and shoot. Looks horrendous.

2 hours ago, Novem9 said:

20 years ago I created personal webpage just for fun. In notepad. My first code experience.

Oh I hate syntax since this day :D 

^_^

Tried to start C#, but was hard. Python seems more easy, but oh dear; it's like learning a new language without even heard it before from any human. :P 

15 hours ago, DarJ said:

What I will say is in situations like the one I highlighted, understanding why a team is taking you apart in attack is easier as you get highlights and can look for patterns. So for example in that game I could at least see my leftback was being targeted and exploited.

What I find difficult is understanding why I'm not creating anything though. You don't get highlights if you don't create chances and their is so little analysis available outside of halftime that you're taking shots in the dark. For instance, is my opponent playing a deeper defensive line than expected and thus negating passes in behind? Is someone man marking my playmaker and pressing him whenever he gets the ball? Are their attackers pressing high to force my defenders to go long when they don't want to? I have no idea because the in game feedback is non-existent. The AssMan sometimes gives useful tips for stopped chances being created ('we should press this guy as soon as he gets the ball' or 'this striker needs man marking') but nothing going forward apart from the occasional, context free, 'we should play a more direct game' or 'we should play a shorter passing game.' So any changes I make to try and deal with a blunt attack feel like pure guesswork. 

7 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

You don't get highlights if you don't create chances

I get what you mean now. For me when I'm in that situation I go to full game just got about 5 min to see more of the game

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I get what you mean now. For me when I'm in that situation I go to full game just got about 5 min to see more of the game

Yeah I get that. It is just something I'm quite resistant to as the more you're expected to go full game the longer everything takes and that isn't fun to me.

All I'd like is for them to bring back the in game analysis options you had in FM20- so heat maps etc etc to help fill in the blanks you don't see on highlights.

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

Yeah I get that. It is just something I'm quite resistant to as the more you're expected to go full game the longer everything takes and that isn't fun to me.

Look its my suggestion! ;S No but seriously I think players should see more to avoid the frustration and enjoy more this great ME in the same time they don't have to watch it in full.

I have tried several roles, and i dont see wide players cutting inside while dribling. 

Have any of you fellow fm´ers tried experimenting with the roles out wide. 

I´ve tried the usual if/iw in the offensive midfield positions

I´ve tried the iw role in the midfield positions.

right now trying the wide midfield roles and customizing those, but this doesnt seem to work either.

but still early days with this. 

8 dakika önce, Dennis Nielsen said:

I have tried several roles, and i dont see wide players cutting inside while dribling. 

Have any of you fellow fm´ers tried experimenting with the roles out wide. 

I´ve tried the usual if/iw in the offensive midfield positions

I´ve tried the iw role in the midfield positions.

right now trying the wide midfield roles and customizing those, but this doesnt seem to work either.

but still early days with this.

Same goes for me. I guess the only solution is a ME patch from SI on IW/IF roles :)

3 hours ago, DarJ said:

I get highlights explaining why I'm not succesful in creating chances, on comprehensive. You can see play go out wide and the winger has no passing options so often a pass back to the FB/WB gets interrupted for example. Feels like the game is talking to you, telling you what's working and what's not.

I'd like to see more of what my keeper is doing on the ball though, if I've chose kick it long to a specific player who keeps losing the headers it rarely shows. If I play it short while we're under pressure I almost always get highlights of it before it turns into goal against.

5 hours ago, KingCanary said:

All I'd like is for them to bring back the in game analysis options you had in FM20- so heat maps etc etc to help fill in the blanks you don't see on highlights.

I'm still on 21, but assuming 22 is the same, once the match is started, if you go into your tactics, select Opposition (where you set up OIs in game) and over on the right side there should be a Best Performer widget, with a pic of some guy and his current rating, click on that widget heading and it should take you to the analysis stuff you get at half time and full time. Of course in 21 some of that data visualisation was still crocked so of limited use, but maybe it's better in 22.

Anyways apologies in advance if they've changed in 22 and I've sent you down a cul de sac, but HTH :)

One other minor note - the glitching of the nets when a goal is scored in 3D mode.

I know sometimes the lower net support can ride up if a powerful shot goes in, but it's like a fly caught in a spider's web with almost every goal!

Hardly immersion breaking, but I think this has gone on for a few iterations now and it's a bit weird.

Surely summer transfers should apply to the upcoming season right? It makes it super awkward to look at past transfer windows. I am operating off of next seasons budget, why is the transfer back dated to the already completed season? 

1 hour ago, teej9 said:

Surely summer transfers should apply to the upcoming season right? It makes it super awkward to look at past transfer windows. I am operating off of next seasons budget, why is the transfer back dated to the already completed season? 

Agreed. If you sign them close to the cutoff date you can actually have a player show up in both season's windows. Happening on my save at the moment.

I'm also fairly sick and tired of contract demands. I offer, they reject. Squad riots and I can't say 'I offered him one, he refused, take it up with him not me' as an option.

11 hours ago, teej9 said:

I think, it is because the sport financial year ends at 30.06.x. 

So whoever arrives or leaves before that date, will be in last season transfer history.

I wouldn't mind if they just put another tab to see transfer history per season.

14 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I'm also fairly sick and tired of contract demands. I offer, they reject. Squad riots and I can't say 'I offered him one, he refused, take it up with him not me' as an option.

Whilst I'm here complaining about the modules, I think the transfer feedback modules need fine tuning as well. There's a lot of issues with the club vision at the moment, I already mentioned before that the UI's are mixing up the tactics. I play gegenpress, but the board think it's tiki-taka and my analysts think it's a 'clean slate' tactic. Little things like that get annoying at times.

But, anyway, I sold a DM who is surplus to requirements, because my main starter is great, his backup is superb and this third guy, is just okay. I couldn't get a loan for him and he wanted silly wages, so final year, sold him for 2.6million. 

Fan reaction? "Angry a regular starter was sold."

How many games has he played in two seasons? 4.

Makes sense! :seagull:

5 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Whilst I'm here complaining about the modules, I think the transfer feedback modules need fine tuning as well. There's a lot of issues with the club vision at the moment, I already mentioned before that the UI's are mixing up the tactics. I play gegenpress, but the board think it's tiki-taka and my analysts think it's a 'clean slate' tactic. Little things like that get annoying at times.

But, anyway, I sold a DM who is surplus to requirements, because my main starter is great, his backup is superb and this third guy, is just okay. I couldn't get a loan for him and he wanted silly wages, so final year, sold him for 2.6million. 

Fan reaction? "Angry a regular starter was sold."

How many games has he played in two seasons? 4.

Makes sense! :seagull:

Timely. I was going to ask if squad interactions have been improved in '22 and I guess the answer is no?

Currently on '21 I have 23/25 first team squad angry with my treatment of a u23 player (who has been at the club 2 months and has 1 Papa Johns Trophy match to his name) for leaving him out of the Champions League squad. Was hoping that kind of morale wrecking (not 1 single green arrow in the first team) nonsense might have been coded out.

So the menus and chat process flows are the same as '20/'21?

14 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

Timely. I was going to ask if squad interactions have been improved in '22 and I guess the answer is no?

Currently on '21 I have 23/25 first team squad angry with my treatment of a u23 player (who has been at the club 2 months and has 1 Papa Johns Trophy match to his name) for leaving him out of the Champions League squad. Was hoping that kind of morale wrecking (not 1 single green arrow in the first team) nonsense might have been coded out.

So the menus and chat process flows are the same as '20/'21?

Yeah.  I think there's been some tweaking as to which answers work at which times, but interactions are still a crapshoot.  I've got a player demanding to leave now because the young players haven't developed well enough -- my regular starting XI has a 19 year old, two 20 year olds and three 21 year olds, and my oldest outfield player is 26.  I've had a player segue seamlessly from being furious that I wouldn't sell him to being furious that I wouldn't give him a contract extension.  None of it's totally wrecked morale, but I think that's mostly to do with the club captain being a first-team player who's been with me through two promotions. 

I don't know if anyone else has noticed these changes in FM22 but I very much appreciate them:

1. Inverted Wingers with Support Duty now have an attacking mentality instead of balanced. In FM21 you had to change his Duty to Attack (which includes the instruction "Get Further Forward") in order to achieve this.

2. The False Nine (Su) now has an attacking mentality instead of cautious.

3. Strikers are no longer instructed to Get Further Forward (AF-At, CF-At etc). This instruction interfered with the PPM "Comes deep to get ball", and generally left strikers a bit isolated. 

Edited by ottey_swe

1 hour ago, ottey_swe said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed these changes in FM22 but I very much appreciate them:

3. Strikers are no longer instructed to Get Further Forward (AF-At, CF-At etc). This instruction interfered with the PPM "Comes deep to get ball", and generally left strikers a bit isolated. 

Can anyone from Si confirm why 'Get Further Forward' has been removed from Advanced Striker role, just noticed this as well after reading this post and went and compared the 2 roles from FM2021, and as the poster said it has been completely removed in FM2022.

36 minutes ago, kertiek said:

they also forced the get forward instruction on IFs withs support duty, in fm21 they didnt had it locked in

I didn't notice that. There's literally no difference between the IF-Su and IF-At right now. Same instructions, mentality.. Identical.

IF should probably be offered with an attack duty only, like Raumdeuter.

Edited by ottey_swe

While transfer negotiations can be fun to go back and forth, loan negotiations seem to be broken. The AI refuses to change almost every aspect of the loan deal. Sometimes I try to change wage from 100% to 90% or just change the agreed role and even these small changes are always denied.

One thing I really want to commend the game for in this version, in-game management is so much more important now. Earlier I often felt like it was impossible to turn a match around by actually changing up things.

Just had a game where I were the favourite, but my opponent got a goal and tried to shut up everything. So I had to change up in the 67th minute, removed my DM and put in another striker and essentially went from the usually working 4-3-3/4-5-1 into a more classical 4-4-2 and it worked wonders! 

ZYRzDVI.png

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

One thing I really want to commend the game for in this version, in-game management is so much more important now. Earlier I often felt like it was impossible to turn a match around by actually changing up things.

Just had a game where I were the favourite, but my opponent got a goal and tried to shut up everything. So I had to change up in the 67th minute, removed my DM and put in another striker and essentially went from the usually working 4-3-3/4-5-1 into a more classical 4-4-2 and it worked wonders! 

ZYRzDVI.png

I love the sample size. Good post. You're telling me it's taken you until FM22 to try and change things up mid-game? Interesting.

1 minute ago, Fealneerg said:

I love the sample size. Good post. You're telling me it's taken you until FM22 to try and change things up mid-game? Interesting.

What on earth is this reply? I think the game is handling changing things up much better than it's predecessors. I've often felt that changing up the momentum in matches have been very hard to do efficiently in FM, but now in FM22 I think it's handled better. And, no, I don't always make it happen, and yes, I've been on the receiving end of this as well. This was an example of what I think the game does better than before. Something I think it's quite a nice contribution to a feedback thread.

i feel like these kind of changes that get an impact in the flow of the game, it could be done in past versions of the game, i remember doing similar changes and getting a nice comeback, but now we have the xg tool we can actually see the graphical representation of that change, so u notice it more.

Edited by kertiek

1 hour ago, XaW said:

What on earth is this reply? I think the game is handling changing things up much better than it's predecessors. I've often felt that changing up the momentum in matches have been very hard to do efficiently in FM, but now in FM22 I think it's handled better. And, no, I don't always make it happen, and yes, I've been on the receiving end of this as well. This was an example of what I think the game does better than before. Something I think it's quite a nice contribution to a feedback thread.

@kertieksummed it up nicely - you personally needed a new display (xg) to be able to see that your changes 'worked'. When in reality, your first post comes across quite odd... In every edition of FM, making changes mid-game will naturally improve or worsen a team's performance. Since we're talking about previous FM's, it was nice when role duties actually worked, huh? (IW/IF/F9/CF/TM etc etc) Remember when the goalkeeper could actually distribute to a target man? Anyway - atleast we have XG now so we can see that our mid-game changes work, because watching the game with one's own eyes doesn't showcase that.

2 minutes ago, Fealneerg said:

@kertieksummed it up nicely - you personally needed a new display (xg) to be able to see that your changes 'worked'. When in reality, your first post comes across quite odd... In every edition of FM, making changes mid-game will naturally improve or worsen a team's performance. Since we're talking about previous FM's, it was nice when role duties actually worked, huh? (IW/IF/F9/CF/TM etc etc) Remember when the goalkeeper could actually distribute to a target man? Anyway - atleast we have XG now so we can see that our mid-game changes work, because watching the game with one's own eyes doesn't showcase that.

I really don't know what you are getting at here. I think the game has improved in this regard, at least for how I expect it to, and it's also visualizing it well for me in the xG Story. So for me, this is a clear improvement from earlier FMs, and that is quite fitting for the feedback thread, wouldn't you agree? So instead of trying to agitate me, as you did in your first post, you could write up something similar. Calling out people who keeps a thread on topic is rarely a good way for new members on this forum. Have a look at the house rules and especially the part about engaging with others going forward, please.

4 hours ago, XaW said:

ZYRzDVI.png

If they let every shot on that graph be clickable into a highlight, I will be a very happy boy and it would massively improve that box IMO. Especially with the timeline thing being taken out.

5 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

If they let every shot on that graph be clickable into a highlight, I will be a very happy boy and it would massively improve that box IMO. Especially with the timeline thing being taken out.

That would be excellent, actually. Please add this as a feature request if you haven't already.

4 hours ago, XaW said:

ZYRzDVI.png

Agreed. I'm critical about the lack of in game feedback to help you choose the right changes. but you can see how the changes you make in game work and I find I get punished much more for just letting my tactics run unchanged for 90 minutes.

goals and apps on loan dont count towards milestones?

signed a player on loan with a mandotory

he scored 25 goals for me in the league whilst on loan

he has 208 goals for me in the league many seasons later

my all time record was 182 goals, i thought this was broken because it wouldnt update despite me seeing that my striker had surpassed this

when he scored his 208th goal i got a commentary saying new record league goal scorer

so the 25 goals scored on loan did not count ?

Little things like this FM has gone backwards on in recent editions, despite big improvements in general year on year these small details being constantly overlooked despite being simple errors as well as taking away things like pre/post match milestones, exact dates on milestones and manager history are very annoying

Just noticed the only difference between Deep Lying Forward on Attack/Support is the possibility to make the Support Duty Hold Position.. In previous games the most notable difference was that the Support Duty would not Move Into Channels.

So what's the point of offering multiple duties for Inside Forwards and Deep Lying Forwards?

Edit: Also noticed a slight mentality difference for the Deep Lying Forward. Support is Positive, while Attack Duty is Attacking.

Edited by ottey_swe

1 hour ago, ottey_swe said:

Just noticed the only difference between Deep Lying Forward on Attack/Support is the possibility to make the Support Duty Hold Position.. In previous games the most notable difference was that the Support Duty would not Move Into Channels.

So what's the point of offering multiple duties for Inside Forwards and Deep Lying Forwards?

Edit: Also noticed a slight mentality difference for the Deep Lying Forward. Support is Positive, while Attack Duty is Attacking.

There is always more to it than the instructions you see. Play both roles on attack and support and you will see there's a difference

Edited by DarJ