*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, kertiek said:

this problem should have been detected in a propper QA stage way before the beta in november, how any tester didnt catch that neymar or mbappe rarely cut inside or run at goal without going wide most of the times is big fail from their part

I think they new about it but couldn't fix it in time because even if the match engine is supposed to look realistic visually, the numbers also have to make sense and I think they prioritize the overall number the game produces over anything else and if you  just look at that it's acceptable

I really hope the winter update comes soon after transfer window is closed instead of late July like it was last year. I've stopped playing until it's out as I want to start my final save with updated squads.

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I think they new about it but couldn't fix it in time because even if the match engine is supposed to look realistic visually, the numbers also have to make sense and I think they prioritize the overall number the game produces over anything else and if you  just look at that it's acceptable

if it was detected in a proper qa stage before the beta, the problem would have been properly addressed before the release or close to it, not 3 months after release.

seriously no one in the testing team tried to play a full season with for example Liverpool and didnt catch that salah does not cut in with the ball on his feet? ... that to me is pretty big fail, maybe the testing tries specific scenarios, a few matches here and there and not something larger like at least a season.

A full season with comprehensive highlights takes like 20 hrs if u take your time micro managing the squad/fitness/training... really no one in the testing team invested 20 hrs to check if the attacking gameplay in general was diverse? because is pretty noticeable that most of the attacking players/positions prefer to run wide and not be aggressive running/dribbling at goal.

1 hour ago, akinozcan said:

I've been wondering this for a long time too.

Ya really hope they can release an update patch regarding gameplay/ME improvement this month,with that we can at least try and give feedback back to them to improve it.

So, when the real winter update on March, the game will hopefully be fully finished and they don't leave us hanging until FM23 release 😁

2 hours ago, kertiek said:

They usually release a patch after the winter transfer window close. So something should appear soon after 31 of January.

the problem with attacking players going wide should have been addressed way sooner and not 2 months after release, even if they release a match engine update in the next days before the database update am not happy about it, this problem should have been detected in a propper QA stage way before the beta in november, how any tester didnt catch that neymar or mbappe rarely cut inside or run at goal without going wide most of the times is big fail from their part and the frustration is growing bigger every day that this problem does not get fixed.

before any mod or sigames staff comes ands responds "wE cANt FliP A SwItCH aNd MaKE THeM CuT INsiDE MOrE InSTanTlY", i know how coding works am a software engineer, this problem should have been detected before the beta in their internal testing stages, there is no excuses for that.

why a database update is tied to a match engine update is not acceptable to me.

I feel like i got robbed in this years game

They gave us broken ME with non wing play and non dribble play

Every year - broken ME and playable after winter patch 

On 26/01/2022 at 10:08, Cal585 said:

I thought defensive line was limited to how high your defence pushed up in support of attacks and has nothing to do with how deep they drop when defending? At least that was my understanding on previous versions of FM from reading comments on the tactics forum. I think defensive behaviour is mostly automated in regards to what line they will hold?

A higher defensive line makes players stand further away increasing the gap between keeper and defence. When they take a low defensive line they will, when without the ball, have to track back to a position closer to goal. However there are factors that can affect this.

Individual roles and duties may push up to support play. Your team instructions like overlaps can also affect the defensive shape. Furthermore setting individual player instructions like higher pressing intensity or adding opposition instructions that press back lines can also upset the shape of a tactic.  I have been able to drop back into deep defensive lines with low lines of engagement, and get them to keep their shape. However if you did use a logical structure I would recommend sending in your pkm, specifically citing that transition so that it can be reviewed. 

Finally attributes like concentration, teamwork and determination are also important. Players with low teamwork sometimes ignore your tactical instructions which can be compounded by low concentration. And, players with low determination can drop their shoulders and give up when they are a goal down.

I guess there's some kind of bug during the team talk before matches.

You say individually to your defenders that you have faith on them, they get motivated. You do the same to the Midfielders and then the Defenders are no longer motivated??? That's nonsense!

Apologies if already covered or if I’ve missed something in-game, but an annoyance of mine in Europe is the January transfer window. All AI clubs can move key players to ‘not prepared to sell mid-season’ as a transfer status and it takes an astronomical fee for the AI to sell.

I haven’t found an option to give my players this status and it’s left me as an easy target for AI clubs. My key players become unsettled if bids come in during January and you’re forced to sell them without the ability to buy a quality replacement. If there’s a way to have ‘not prepared to sell mid-season’ on your players I’d love to know how  to do it, if it’s not in the game, it’d be a must for me for FM23, it leaves you at a huge disadvantage. 

Seen a few posts about players not declining as they get older and now I’ve got a decent way into the future I have to agree. Mbappe is 35 and physical stats have barely dropped, same with haaland who’s still banging in 60 goals a season (ridiculous in itself). This is both in the prem as well where they’ve played since the second season so most of their careers.

Real Madrid in 2034 in my save have only 3 or 4 players in their squad under 30. I had a 36 year old Ruben neves who they signed at the end of his contract (although seeing how the stats go and my attempts to find a replacement, in hindsight I probably should have kept him!)

40 minutes ago, woodsy1983 said:

Seen a few posts about players not declining as they get older and now I’ve got a decent way into the future I have to agree. Mbappe is 35 and physical stats have barely dropped, same with haaland who’s still banging in 60 goals a season (ridiculous in itself). This is both in the prem as well where they’ve played since the second season so most of their careers.

Real Madrid in 2034 in my save have only 3 or 4 players in their squad under 30. I had a 36 year old Ruben neves who they signed at the end of his contract (although seeing how the stats go and my attempts to find a replacement, in hindsight I probably should have kept him!)

Haaland is insane in this game. I know he's very good in real life but in the last 3 seasons in my save he's scored 47, 56 and 57 goals for Man City. 

11 часов назад, LucasBR сказал:

I guess there's some kind of bug during the team talk before matches.

You say individually to your defenders that you have faith on them, they get motivated. You do the same to the Midfielders and then the Defenders are no longer motivated??? That's nonsense!

If you say the same phrase to different groups, they begin to perceive it as an on-duty phrase that you say insincerely. It's how I see this issue, don't know why exactly it happened in FM

22 hours ago, gggfunk said:

I really hope the winter update comes soon after transfer window is closed instead of late July like it was last year. I've stopped playing until it's out as I want to start my final save with updated squads.

Winter update was 22nd Feb last year?

22 hours ago, esca said:

So, when the real winter update on March, the game will hopefully be fully finished and they don't leave us hanging until FM23 release 😁

Lesson learnt for me. Won't be buying the game early anymore and will play FM22 until the winter update and patch is done for FM23.

Admit I got the itch watching all the YouTube Influencers shilling the game, but will be more patient next year :onmehead: 

5 hours ago, Mike_G25 said:

Apologies if already covered or if I’ve missed something in-game, but an annoyance of mine in Europe is the January transfer window. All AI clubs can move key players to ‘not prepared to sell mid-season’ as a transfer status and it takes an astronomical fee for the AI to sell.

I haven’t found an option to give my players this status and it’s left me as an easy target for AI clubs. My key players become unsettled if bids come in during January and you’re forced to sell them without the ability to buy a quality replacement. If there’s a way to have ‘not prepared to sell mid-season’ on your players I’d love to know how  to do it, if it’s not in the game, it’d be a must for me for FM23, it leaves you at a huge disadvantage. 

Wondered this myself. Probably something buried in the players transfer status.

Il 27/1/2022 in 13:53 , kertiek ha scritto:

They usually release a patch after the winter transfer window close. So something should appear soon after 31 of January.

the problem with attacking players going wide should have been addressed way sooner and not 2 months after release, even if they release a match engine update in the next days before the database update am not happy about it, this problem should have been detected in a propper QA stage way before the beta in november, how any tester didnt catch that neymar or mbappe rarely cut inside or run at goal without going wide most of the times is big fail from their part and the frustration is growing bigger every day that this problem does not get fixed.

before any mod or sigames staff comes ands responds "wE cANt FliP A SwItCH aNd MaKE THeM CuT INsiDE MOrE InSTanTlY", i know how coding works am a software engineer, this problem should have been detected before the beta in their internal testing stages, there is no excuses for that.

why a database update is tied to a match engine update is not acceptable to me.

Any evidence you are perfectly aware the QA has never addressed the problem you mentioned above? Just asking.

And sorry if I'm wondering about your profession, a software engineer is not used To MaKe RaNt PoSt LiKe YoUrS, he rather understands, or tries to, why certain roles are more difficult to refine and how long  it requires to test and be sure any modification is working and has zero negative impacts on the game experience overall. Something a software engineer should be used to manage everyday.

47 minutes ago, Federico said:

Any evidence you are perfectly aware the QA has never addressed the problem you mentioned above? Just asking.

And sorry if I'm wondering about your profession, a software engineer is not used To MaKe RaNt PoSt LiKe YoUrS, he rather understands, or tries to, why certain roles are more difficult to refine and how long  it requires to test and be sure any modification is working and has zero negative impacts on the game experience overall. Something a software engineer should be used to manage everyday.

But why we in this situation in the first place? 

They released a game, working of it for a year, how on earth you cannot see that there is 0 dribbling and 0 movement from the IF/IW players? 

Its like disrespecting to the loyal customers for years, + to wait almost 3 months for the fix (that we are don't know if we will get it).

Edited by GOODNAME

48 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

They released a game, working of it for a year, how on earth you cannot see that there is 0 dribbling and 0 movement from the IF/IW players? 

Its like disrespecting to the loyal customers for years, + to wait almost 3 months for the fix (that we are don't know if we will get it).

People can probably see it (I don’t watch in enough detail so don’t see it myself). I’ve had inside forwards get good numbers though so personally that’s all that matters to me and find it strange that things like this stop people actually playing the game.

Maybe it’s a complicated fix and changing it could have repercussions for other elements. To me the game has worked from day one as I’m sure it has for a lot of people so to criticise them for releasing it is harsh.

Pre-season meeting after winning the Bundesliga with Dortmund...

I think we should challenge for the title again... Everyone happy... I said that we should challenge to reach the latter stages of Champions League... You're not being ambitious enough!!!!... I think we should win the German Cup this year... You are BEING TOOOO AMBITIOUS!!! 

That's completely nonsense!!!!!!

hace 2 horas, woodsy1983 dijo:

People can probably see it (I don’t watch in enough detail so don’t see it myself). I’ve had inside forwards get good numbers though so personally that’s all that matters to me and find it strange that things like this stop people actually playing the game.

Maybe it’s a complicated fix and changing it could have repercussions for other elements. To me the game has worked from day one as I’m sure it has for a lot of people so to criticise them for releasing it is harsh.

The problem for many of us is that we don't just care about our IF numbers. We also want to see that when they have the ball they move like a real IF, and if Vinicius or Mbappė with the ball rarely runs or dribbles inside and just passes or runs outside, it's very annoying for those of us who love those types of players.

I don't just care that the result is realistic, I like that each type of player does with the ball what is expected of him according to the tactics, the role and the type of player.

But Kyle Brown has said that the developers have made progress the last month on the IF/IW issue and he hopes it will be fixed in the next update. I think that is cause for hope and I am personally grateful to Kyle for reporting the progress on that issue.

Edited by david_kax

3 hours ago, ARustyFirePlace said:

I think it's ridiculous that we're nearly in February and SI are being this quiet. People reported bugs like the dribbling issues months ago, and there's other bugs reported back in the "beta" - still not fixed months later, and no communication. SI are quite lucky they have no competitors.

My dribbling is fine ? Plus things take time . Xmas holidays and Covid don't help . 

5 hours ago, ARustyFirePlace said:

I think it's ridiculous that we're nearly in February and SI are being this quiet. People reported bugs like the dribbling issues months ago, and there's other bugs reported back in the "beta" - still not fixed months later, and no communication. SI are quite lucky they have no competitors.

Forgetting cutting inside, still can't assign my assistant manager to press conferences...

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

What is set in Staff, Responsibilities, Media?- my AM is doing all the press conferences

He is most liking missing from the list in his Save. This is also a problem in my current save. I can't set the under-19s assistant to do anything either.

17 ore fa, GOODNAME ha scritto:

Again: one thing is not be aware of a problem, one different thing is spotting it and take the necessary time to fix it even considering it at the top of the "to fix" list. It's a concept easy to understand apparently.

Disrespecting loyal customers because in a football managing game a role doesn't work as it is supposed to do? Wow, I can't imagine what happens if your missus/wife cooks your dinner a little bit more salty....

Wonder if this is bug? 18 year old running down contract. Recommended is to offer breakthrough, but he will say that i need give better offer. Even when putting star player he still asks more, but agent is not suggesting anything else.

There is a situation in the fm series that I have not understood for years, I would be very happy if anyone who knows can help.

When I set up the tactic with any team and start to get good results, like November-December, the team's performance drops unbelievably and we start to get negative results one after another. For some reason, I experience this situation more in underdog teams.

9 minutes ago, xLdRoN said:

There is a situation in the fm series that I have not understood for years, I would be very happy if anyone who knows can help.

When I set up the tactic with any team and start to get good results, like November-December, the team's performance drops unbelievably and we start to get negative results one after another. For some reason, I experience this situation more in underdog teams.

This will be quite a generic answer, but I'll give some possible reasons. If you are a lower rated team and you have a tactic that exploits space left by the opponent, then you can often overachieve things, since the opponents will try to play their own game and down try to restrict the space. However, when you then overachieve for a bit, the other teams start to realize you are a contender. And they will then not play as expansive and rather try to limit the space the give you. And you might not have good enough players to break them down. So perhaps try to mix things up, play a bit slower and lure the opponent out.

Another thing could be complacency from the players. If you win a lot, they will not apply themselves as much since they think they will win no matter, and then when it crashes they lose confidence and all hell breaks loose. So increase expectations, demand wins, tell them they were poor if you get a lucky win.

There are several factors to why this happens, but those two are the most common, I think.

2 hours ago, Federico said:

Again: one thing is not be aware of a problem, one different thing is spotting it and take the necessary time to fix it even considering it at the top of the "to fix" list. It's a concept easy to understand apparently.

Disrespecting loyal customers because in a football managing game a role doesn't work as it is supposed to do? Wow, I can't imagine what happens if your missus/wife cooks your dinner a little bit more salty....

There are two things you forget. One is that it's all players that behave wrongly dribble to wide area when they should dribble direct on goal. The other is that cutting inside was working properly for like a decade. This is not something extraordinary which needed to be implemented into me.

6 hours ago, Federico said:

Come on

Its ok that there is a bug, but they had 1 year to see this!

My biggest question is how on earth we (the FM community) saw this before them 

44 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

Come on

Its ok that there is a bug, but they had 1 year to see this!

My biggest question is how on earth we (the FM community) saw this before them 

We didn't. The product ships with bugs (a lot of them).

I learned my lesson with FM21 and haven't bought FM22 yet, hopefully they sort the major issues for the final March patch, if not I'll just stick with 21 for another year.

30 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

My personal observation is:

1. FM22 appears to ship with more bugs than previous versions

2. The bug forums have less response from SI than in previous years

3. Internal QA seems to have been reduced

4. There are non ME bugs repeating / carrying over from the 2 previous versions or more

5. There needs to be better balancing of future development v resolving current issues

6. Recurrence of previous issues

There is a good game here but its marred by the number of bugs

They also used to have a public beta for upcoming updates where people were constantly providing feedback to them. In the past couple of versions things have been going a bit to corporate...

39 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

My personal observation is:

1. FM22 appears to ship with more bugs than previous versions

2. The bug forums have less response from SI than in previous years

3. Internal QA seems to have been reduced

4. There are non ME bugs repeating / carrying over from the 2 previous versions or more

5. There needs to be better balancing of future development v resolving current issues

6. Recurrence of previous issues

There is a good game here but its marred by the number of bugs

Good post :-) And completely agree with your last sentence.

IDK the metrics (bar sales #s of course) for video game software vs business software in which I work, but the amount of tech debt we see totally points to sorting out that backlog of existing issues at the expense of new features.

On 28/01/2022 at 13:40, alexsbalivillas said:

Lesson learnt for me. Won't be buying the game early anymore and will play FM22 until the winter update and patch is done for FM23.

Admit I got the itch watching all the YouTube Influencers shilling the game, but will be more patient next year :onmehead: 

Exactly. It was the last time when I bought the game in November, now I'm just waiting for the final update and will start my long term save until March 2023. Then, when the final update for FM23 is out, I will buy the game. It seems to be the only way to always get the best version on FM.

I think I've learnt the lesson too, I've come to the conclusion that I have only ever enjoyed this game when skipping releases. It's already two straight years for me having the game rotting on the shelf waiting for March and last year I didn't even bother picking it back up by then. The little complaints over the forums and the amount of active players makes me think I'm just too picky and the game during the first four months of release isn't for me. Glad most people can enjoy it though, more power to them.

I don't know if the game is getting too complex to fix, if SI is understaffed (which might be a thing looking at the amount of open job positions at SI and Brexit), if COVID heavily disrupted development or if this is just the business model; but it is sucking out any will I have to play this game.

On 29/01/2022 at 17:32, andu1 said:

They also used to have a public beta for upcoming updates where people were constantly providing feedback to them. In the past couple of versions things have been going a bit to corporate...

The vast majority of people didn't use the public beta in that manner. As ever there's always a constant private beta who do just that. 

6 hours ago, stevemc said:

I aways seem to get about 10-15 seasons into a new FM and start to feel like I'm going through the motions of repetition and I begin to fade off - I feel like I'm hitting that wall again now.

I wasn't too sure I'd be bothered about the Transfer Deadline Day feature but even though I plan and sign players up front, it's a great edition that I find myself really immersed in twice per season - so that really is a top edition for me. But, in all honestly, the Staff Meeting is pointless, as pointless as the recruitment meeting. They offer useless information (like such and such should be added as a penalty taker). It doesn't add anything that can't be sent and read as an Inbox item. It needs to be more immersive, not another chore.

Similar with the Data Hub, had a play around at the beginning but I rarely go in there now. When I'm winning, I never use it. Problem is (unless I'm missing something) I regularly swap between 3 tactics depending on the team or situation I'm facing, but the data in the Data Hub doesn't split out the information by which tactic I'm using, so It's kind of pointless for me to work with? (please correct me if I can actually do this).

Some players promises are odd too, why are players locking in wanting to be playing as a "Carrilero" for example, imagine not signing a contact for a club in real because they won't play you in your favoured "Carrilero" position, whaaaat? You're a midfielder mate. I think interaction as a whole I bit mad, some really odd responses knocking about. You win the league and a key player wants to leave to join Man City who finished 8th, what? Make it dynamic.

I really hope for future FM's that they can address these points:

• Set Pieces

They are still so limited, and buggy. Easy to set up and profit from, if you want to abuse the system. Been like this for years now. IMO set pieces need a complete revamp, with much more options and the introduction of a "Set Piece Coach" as a new staff role.

• Press Conferences

Wow, still so dull. Same questions, all the time. Repetition. Chore. Can't even read some of the questions either as the UI sucks. I don't even know what you could do to improve them tbh to make them enjoyable.

• AI Squad Building

This is still an issue, AI clubs just can't build squads that retain success. You can go to a club, build a super team, leave, then take a look 12-18 months later and that squad you built will have been ripped apart, reduced in numbers and inferior players signed. It needs to be better. Clubs need more obvious and different philosophies, I want it to be more obvious. I want to see clubs hire managers that actually fit their ethos. It's too easy to win after 3-4 seasons.

• Match Day

This is something which I think makes me hit a wall with FM. I've done a Glory Hunter save, moving from country to county winning as much as possible, now on a match day, everything feels the same, there is no difference if you are managing a match day in England, Italy, Brazil or Africa - it's all the same stadium, pitches, nets, colours, crowds, atmosphere, everything - it's so samey. Is it the Merseyside Derby, or Norwich v Leicester? Doesn't matter, feels the same. Not sure how they can achieve it but each league, country, competition needs to FEEL different - a Champions League match needs to feel different to a Carabao Cup game, the detail needs to show through. An African Cup or Nations match needs to be different to the World Cup. Surely it's not just me thinking this? Only argument is that Germany is different due to the presentation package, but still not enough IMO.

• 2D Match Engine Camera

I use 2D to perfect my tactics, but it's got worse over the years, it needs tarting back up, bring the stadium/crowd in around the side, make it feel relevant, feels like it's left there as a token gesture - I don't know, just make it a good option to use. 

• International Management

If this part of the FM isn't due an update, then I don't know what is. This is more stale than, well, I don't know what. It genuinely needs an overhaul, it's needs looking at from the beginning, there is on immersion there.

• FM Longevity/Immersion

There defo needs to be more to prolong play time, along with all of the above I think there needs to be more controversy and issues to deal with at clubs and with newgens, it feels like you can power on through the seasons with not much to deal with, roll up at any club and be successful (when it's just not that easy IRL), maybe more issues with agents/players - give me more issues to have to solve! Let me see the players faces on the tactics pitch and bus bench, let the squad number have more prominence on the profile screen, different scoreboards/presentations for leagues/countries, different nets, atmospheres, DoF having more influence at certain clubs (locked in), different clubs having big challenges to solve, maybe the ability to set targets or select a challenge at the beginning of saves that tracks your progress (ie Non-League to Legend, Glory Hunter etc). Maybe rather than just requesting the board to upgrade Youth or Training Facilities, maybe you can get involved in more, deeper details of the types of facilities you'd like to add to the Youth or Training Facilities. There's plenty more than my suggestions to go at.

My two pence on feedback, anyway.

Personally think 2D is dead in the water. Maybe next instalment will be the last as FM search for more memory they will get rid of those ancient programs . I read somewhere that next year is the last of this 3D too