Created small logos (icons) look blurry compared to those in-game

Toronto Blizzard

Hello, Skinning Community!

I created a bunch of logos and followed the pixel guidelines (180x180 for normal and 18x18 for small).

The normal icons look good in game, but I find that the small icons look much blurrier than those made by SI.

Here's an example: Pacific FC, Valour, and York United FC are included in the game.  I added RN Niagara, Rise Burnaby, and Sauga City FC.  You can clearly see the difference.

Did I make my icons too small?  Anything else I could/should have done?

816075429_ScreenShot2021-11-13at7_38_59PM.png.6a0953cf159337d5a82b09c470f54082.png

It works best if you use the dimensions 28x20 pixels and centre the logos there.

This way you always have them neatly lined up below each other.

I use Affinity's batch processing to create the icons from my 200x200 pixel logos.

PNG with the highest quality settings actually makes for "sharp" icons. :)

Edited by NorsemanLP

35 minutes ago, NorsemanLP said:

It works best if you use the dimensions 28x20 pixels and centre the logos there.

This way you always have them neatly lined up below each other.

I use Affinity's batch processing to create the icons from my 200x200 pixel logos.

PNG with the highest quality settings actually makes for "sharp" icons. :)

Thanks, @Norseman!  I didn’t know any of this when I started making these a couple of years back.  I’ll go back to my larger images and resize them to 28x20 and centre then on the canvas.  

I assumed I had saved them on highest quality but didn’t actually check the settings.  I’ll look at that, too.  

To get the quality better you need to make a folder within the folder that stores your small logos called @2x You then need to get the logo you want in a bigger size and then reduce the size to double what your small logos are. You say above the small logos are 25x18 in size, so what you need to do is get the normal sized logo and make that 50x36 and save it into the @2x folder within the small logos folder. This will then increase the quality and stop the blurring issue.

I had the same issue when I upgraded my macbook to one with retina display. Had to go through all the logos and make them @2x which fixed the issue. Depending on which logos you use if you can find a pack that has the @2x already in the pack then that would save you a lot of time. I am using the TCM logo pack which has the @2x small logos as a seperate download on their website. 

10 hours ago, Alexpuk2002 said:

To get the quality better you need to make a folder within the folder that stores your small logos called @2x You then need to get the logo you want in a bigger size and then reduce the size to double what your small logos are. You say above the small logos are 25x18 in size, so what you need to do is get the normal sized logo and make that 50x36 and save it into the @2x folder within the small logos folder. This will then increase the quality and stop the blurring issue.

I had the same issue when I upgraded my macbook to one with retina display. Had to go through all the logos and make them @2x which fixed the issue. Depending on which logos you use if you can find a pack that has the @2x already in the pack then that would save you a lot of time. I am using the TCM logo pack which has the @2x small logos as a seperate download on their website. 

Does that @2x folder also need a config file, or just the images?

15 hours ago, Toronto Blizzard said:

Success!  They look MUCH better!  Thanks, @Alexpuk2002!!!

539506864_ScreenShot2021-11-16at5_19_13PM.png.06dc9d7a3638aca54350b2f39f6673b9.png

No worries mate. If you are playing on a higher resolution the game uses the @2x graphics. Usually these are double the size of the original graphics (so 30x30 would be 60x60). Can be a tedious task updating all the graphics but its worth it once its done 

• 3 months later...

For anyone else having the same issue - I'm finding that some logopacks are either missing the @2x subfolder in the small folder (as has been mentioned before), or it is incorrectly labeled @2 (which, surprisingly, does not seem to have been pointed out in any forum anywhere yet). I just added the x to all of mine and it's working fine now.