Since dynamic youth rating is almost a myth for nation building saves, I came up with my own dynamic youth rating system

Have to use the editor for this, of course.

Basically, at the end of season,

If I won the Champions League, I roll a random number between the current youth rating of my country and +30, and that random number is the new youth rating. Example: Current youth rating is 80, I go to random.org, roll a number between 80 and 110, and that number is the new youth rating.

Finalist for champions league, I roll current and current +20

Semi Finalist, current + 10

Quarter Finalist, current + 5

I only roll for my team, but since I play in Hungary and other teams are so bad they can't get past the qualifications yet, that's not an issue.

This way the game is more fun, I'm 20 years in and the game only improved my youth rating from 68 to 72, even though I won Euro 2 cup, reached QF in CL once, reached Semi's twice, and won the CL last league, also won World Cup 2 years ago.

Maybe 10 more years in, I can be able to produce the new Puskas, which is my dream.

Edited by Invector

You don't need a Youth rating of 200 to create a new Puskas, you can have a YR of 7 and have the next Messi, is about knowing how to Scout for that next Star and develop him correctly.

Youth rating is about the frequency of great players. Obviously with 200 is a lot more easy than with 7. But doing what you doing you will make Hungary the new Brazil in creating newgens, which is unrealistic 100%.

But is your save, so You do what you want with it. Have fun!

When will it decrease? If you have a possible increase, then you need an equal mechanism for a decrease. Otherwise you know the outcome and it's only a matter of time.

I mean, you are free to do your own thing, it's your save, but if you want something resembling realism, then you need to balance increases and decreases.

19 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

You don't need a Youth rating of 200 to create a new Puskas, you can have a YR of 7 and have the next Messi, is about knowing how to Scout for that next Star and develop him correctly.

Youth rating is about the frequency of great players. Obviously with 200 is a lot more easy than with 7. But doing what you doing you will make Hungary the new Brazil in creating newgens, which is unrealistic 100%.

But is your save, so You do what you want with it. Have fun!

You are right, of course. But, then again, Diosgyör winning the champions league is very unrealistic too, or Hungary winning World Cup. If it were realistic, I would be stuck in Hungarian 2nd division for all time.

Also, it will take a lot more than you think to reach 200 youth rating, and no you won't generate a messi with 7 youth rating, we would all see Cambodian messis everywhere otherwise. In 20 years in FM22, only messi-like player came from Belgium and he played for Real Madrid, Brazil produces great newgens for sure, but reaching that messi level is very difficult. High youth rating is essential.

2 minutes ago, Invector said:

You are right, of course. But, then again, Diosgyör winning the champions league is very unrealistic too, or Hungary winning World Cup. If it were realistic, I would be stuck in Hungarian 2nd division for all time.

Also, it will take a lot more than you think to reach 200 youth rating, and no you won't generate a messi with 7 youth rating, we would all see Cambodian messis everywhere otherwise. In 20 years in FM22, only messi-like player came from Belgium and he played for Real Madrid, Brazil produces great newgens for sure, but reaching that messi level is very difficult. High youth rating is essential.

It is not essential, it's beneficial but not essential, don't confuse casual players coming to the forum. As I said Youth rating with the other 3 components in player quality generator are frequency modificators. At the end of the day is all about statistics. Get the facts right.

But as I said also your save, your rules. That way of playing will absolutely kill my inmersion though.

8 minutes ago, Invector said:

Argentina have only produced 2 mercurial talents ever, Brazil 2-3, Holland /France / Portugal etc 1 maybe 2. Messi level talents are generational, there only being 1 in 20 seasons in your game is pretty decent.

Youth rating has to do with newgen frequency, not newgen ability.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

9 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Youth rating has to do with newgen frequency, not newgen ability

There is a reason why countries like Germany and Brazil produce the best newgens, because of that frequency. That is directly tied to the quality of players coming through, since you have higher chance of producing a better player.

This should never have been trumpeted as a big improvement, because it gives unrealistic expectations as to what's possible.  If we're trying to be realistic - and let's face it, it's (within reason) their main aim - then these changes would be generational and, to be honest, pretty minimal.  We're talking about the base level stuff.  Something happens to a nation which encourages kids to get involved in football at a young age, and this movement leads some way down the line to more talent flowing in, and ultimately better players.  

So let's say, for the sake of argument, USA win the World Cup.  Big country, potential, but football isn't their main sport (or is it now?  For purposes if this hypothetical it isn't).  Suddenly kids across the country are inspired and want to emulate their heroes.  Kids likely between, what, 5 and 10?  In FM terms, that means that the earliest you'd start to see the benefits of this would be in the 5-10 year mark as these kids that wouldn't have usually played football start to filter through.  Likely you're talking more in the 10-20 as other factors start to improve in tandem, and the good talents give way to generational talents.  That seems realistic to me, but also largely inconsequential to your average FM save.  Unless you're going for a dynastic 100 year save, it's likely to completely pass you by.  And that's fine in my book, rather than having some unbalanced, gamified system that could throw out weird outliers.

Now the OP is absolutely entitled to put whatever system they want in place to enhance their enjoyment, and I'll defend that point consistently in a single player game like FM.  But it's not by any means realistic.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

This should never have been trumpeted as a big improvement, because it gives unrealistic expectations as to what's possible. 

Just to be nit picky on this (because everything else I 100% agree with), but I don’t think they did trumpet it as a big improvement. 
It was a feature Miles tweeted about, and it was something he was happy to get in (alongside dynamic rivalries) as it’s something they’d wanted for a while.

1 minute ago, gunner86 said:

Just to be nit picky on this (because everything else I 100% agree with), but I don’t think they did trumpet it as a big improvement. 
It was a feature Miles tweeted about, and it was something he was happy to get in (alongside dynamic rivalries) as it’s something they’d wanted for a while.

Yeah, that's fair enough.  Although the lines get blurred quite a bit, and I think they should have known the furore that would have got fired up around it.  If it's done correctly, it is a huge change, but if it's going to be something that's more generational and not going to move much, I'd have done it as one of those cool little things you discover as the game moves, rather than announcing it separately (even though it wasn't necessarily "announced" in the traditional sense)

• 1 year later...

Keen on doing something similar to rejuvenate my save, but surely wouldn't basing it off reputation be much more realistic.

So imagine something like this: 

League reputation * 0.7 for very high game importance, 0.5 for important, 0.3 for fairly unimportant and 0.2 for unimportant.

Then add 1 point for every million citizens up to 10, 0.5 point for every million between 10 and 30, and .2 for every million after. 

Take England as an example. Premier League currently has 188 rep in my save, England has 144 youth rating. Take 188 and multiply .7, and you got 131, add 1 for every million citizens the country have below 10 million, .5 for every million between 10 and 30 and .2 for every million after and you got 156.

For Brazil that would be 158*0,7+10+10+36=166 compared to their current 162

Some other notable nations (keep in mind I'm in 2048):

Spain currently has 147, with my system they have 153

France currently has 156, with my system they have 148

Italy currently has 148, with my system they have 155

Germany currently has 154, with my system they have 152

Portugal currently has 136, with my system they have 133

Netherlands has 130, with my system they have 122

Argentina has 141, with my system they have 125

USA has 112, with my system they have 113

Norway has 90, with my system they have 109

Denmark has 91, with my system they have 110

Croatia has 94, with my system they have 95

My own Gibraltar has 35 on game start and 41 currently. With my system they have 106. A nation like Gibraltar's theoretical maximum (based on Premier League's reputation) would then be 131. Though I set my game importance to very important to enable Dynamic Youth Rating to work (or so I thought). With default settings they would have 76 currently and a maximum of 94. 

The only big problem that comes to mind is China which has a game importance of very important and notably 1 billion citizens. 

This only took about an hour so could naturally be improved upon, but with the game itself as reference it seems pretty good. You could also add some slight bonuses for big international tournament performances. 

Plot this all into excel and going through the various nations (say top 40 to only keep it to relevant nations) shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes of work every pre-season. 

Edited by trviggo