[FM22] Statman and Robins

Shrewnaldo

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

This rather neatly encapsulated our season where I really felt we were competitive against everyone except the top three - who are miles clear of everyone else.

This was always going to be the case, given the financial muscle which the sides have. I think you are doing a sterling job with Bristol City.

You have a clear vision/plan in relation to how you would believe the team needs to be strengthened which hopefully will bring you closer to the 'big three'.

It's unfortunate that your big money signing hasn't paid off, do you think that after another full pre season there is potential for him to improve? 

Will you look to tinker with your system to attempt to inflate any of the statistics or are you locked into your style of play?

A note on goalkeeper statistics...

I extracted the stats for every 'keeper to have played at least 300 minutes in all 24 top leagues that I have loaded, plus the Championship. Here is that list of 563 goalkeepers in order of Expected Save Ratio minus Actual Goal Ratio. Notice anything odd?

image.png.bad358ca865cda1c5d7e133ed9cb56af.png

According to this statistic, both my 'keepers are in the top 6 in the world.

They're good but this is obviously just wrong. The game must calculate values for the human player's 'keepers differently, using a different engine or something.

So basically I just don't trust goalkeeper stats.

EDIT - I should also have said - if no 'keeper in the world, not one, manages to exceed their Expected Save Ratio over the course a season, how the f do you figure that's an Expected Save Ratio?! That just makes no sense whatsoever. 

Edited by Shrewnaldo

14 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Sad to see the big money signing not hit the heights you were expecting, does that dent your confidence in spending big sums of money? Or with the vast money in the EPL you can brush it off? 

I don't really like spending big money anyway, so it just pushes me back into my comfort zone of frugality. But you're certainly right that, in terms of my bank balance, it's had pretty much zero impact.

11 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

This was always going to be the case, given the financial muscle which the sides have. I think you are doing a sterling job with Bristol City.

You have a clear vision/plan in relation to how you would believe the team needs to be strengthened which hopefully will bring you closer to the 'big three'.

It's unfortunate that your big money signing hasn't paid off, do you think that after another full pre season there is potential for him to improve? 

Will you look to tinker with your system to attempt to inflate any of the statistics or are you locked into your style of play?

He had a full pre-season last year too, because I'd brought him in the previous January - but I'm still hoping that a little more settling time, and learning better English, might improve him somewhat. I can't see him overtaking Scott though - who has turned out to be really great.

Re the system, I think I'll stick with the diamond. I really like the way it plays - particularly the dual ball-winners - and it's quite well-suited to a stats-based recruitment as each position has quite a specific set of things to do. This makes it easier to find new wingbacks (dribbling, crossing and chance creation) or ball-winners (tackles, interceptions and passing) for example.  No doubt I'll eventually get bored and tinker un-necessarily but not yet.

6 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I don't really like spending big money anyway, so it just pushes me back into my comfort zone of frugality. But you're certainly right that, in terms of my bank balance, it's had pretty much zero impact.

He had a full pre-season last year too, because I'd brought him in the previous January - but I'm still hoping that a little more settling time, and learning better English, might improve him somewhat. I can't see him overtaking Scott though - who has turned out to be really great.

Re the system, I think I'll stick with the diamond. I really like the way it plays - particularly the dual ball-winners - and it's quite well-suited to a stats-based recruitment as each position has quite a specific set of things to do. This makes it easier to find new wingbacks (dribbling, crossing and chance creation) or ball-winners (tackles, interceptions and passing) for example.  No doubt I'll eventually get bored and tinker un-necessarily but not yet.

Consider both Liverpool and Man City transfers, and who becomes important players for each team and how long it took them to settle in the team/formation/training/etc. I recall Marhez, Fabinho, Robertson, Aguero all had initial problems/time to settle before becoming excellent players in for their respective club. Grealish I feel is currently going through this.

Some players are just no-brainers and cost the price they do. In this case, he reminds me of Nabi Keita.

6 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I extracted the stats for every 'keeper to have played at least 300 minutes in all 24 top leagues that I have loaded, plus the Championship. Here is that list of 563 goalkeepers in order of Expected Save Ratio minus Actual Goal Ratio. Notice anything odd?

They're good but this is obviously just wrong. The game must calculate values for the human player's 'keepers differently, using a different engine or something.

EDIT - I should also have said - if no 'keeper in the world, not one, manages to exceed their Expected Save Ratio over the course a season, how the f do you figure that's an Expected Save Ratio?! That just makes no sense whatsoever. 

What are the top club teams and national team keepers scoring? You would expect top keepers in the there.

On 23/02/2022 at 20:38, Shrewnaldo said:

Did you expect anything else?!

I’ve always been terrible at identifying and developing keepers so have not really dig into their stats but it’s just another thing that feels half cooked!

On 24/02/2022 at 03:10, Sonic Youth said:

Consider both Liverpool and Man City transfers, and who becomes important players for each team and how long it took them to settle in the team/formation/training/etc. I recall Marhez, Fabinho, Robertson, Aguero all had initial problems/time to settle before becoming excellent players in for their respective club. Grealish I feel is currently going through this.

Some players are just no-brainers and cost the price they do. In this case, he reminds me of Nabi Keita.

Fair points. And Abdulkadir is having trouble learning the language, so hopefully once he does finally get beyond Basic English then he'll kick on. I've also started retraining him as a striker. In the front 3 of AM(A) - DLF(S) - P(A), it's clear that the DLF is the primary creator - hence Bätzner's remarkable creative stats. Abdulkadir absolutely has the elite level attributes to do this (passing, vision, technique) plus the traits. It's just his one-footedness that continues to concern me.

On 24/02/2022 at 03:18, Sonic Youth said:

What are the top club teams and national team keepers scoring? You would expect top keepers in the there.

Here's the 'keepers from a selection of top clubs

image.png.cb4bf9c71482dc10bfb7901890e21d20.png

What's noticeable is how much higher their Expected Save Ratio is. I'd assume this is because better teams have better defences, which give up lower quality chances to the opposition - and therefore the 'keeper has an easier job. Some of them have similar Actual Save Ratios to my 'keepers but just have far higher Expected Save Ratio.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Did you expect anything else?!

I’ve always been terrible at identifying and developing keepers so have not really dig into their stats but it’s just another thing that feels half cooked!

I expect very little from FM's statistical veracity and yet I'm continually disappointed regardless... ;-D

Just a quick note - the updates have slowed down because my game play has slowed down quite a bit. I'm just getting a little bored of the save. I think all the interesting bits are done with and it's now a bit like every other save. I might finish this season or go look for something new. But either way, I wouldn't expect too many more updates here.

4 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Just a quick note - the updates have slowed down because my game play has slowed down quite a bit. I'm just getting a little bored of the save. I think all the interesting bits are done with and it's now a bit like every other save. I might finish this season or go look for something new. But either way, I wouldn't expect too many more updates here.

Sad to hear this Shrew! Is it the statistical side or the Premier League? My time in the Prem was the only game I haven't ever really finished as I just got bored, like you have, with the stupid amounts of money that need to be spent and are available.

Hopefully you can either move ship here or return with another, just as captivating, save!

2 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Thanks @Shrewnaldo it's been an absolute blast, give yourself a break and then return with the final save using the winter update? 

22 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Sad to hear this Shrew! Is it the statistical side or the Premier League? My time in the Prem was the only game I haven't ever really finished as I just got bored, like you have, with the stupid amounts of money that need to be spent and are available.

Hopefully you can either move ship here or return with another, just as captivating, save!

Thanks both. And definitely bored of the Premier League, rather than the approach @_Ben_. I think we're in exactly the same place with regards the stupid money. It's also that, having just entered our first ever season in Europe, we're absolutely walking the Europa group. It feels like there should be more of a challenge once you get there. It's why I prefer to play in countries like Austria, Perú or even France. There are progressive sets of challenges throughout the save that keep me engaged. This save now feels like all the interesting stuff is done and I'd just be on a 3-4 season countdown to the top, during which I'd just be spending progressively more and more to get stupidly good newgens. Weirdly, I think that might bother me less if I could get that facepack thing to work for the newgens but no luck so far.

I have a few ideas for the next save but might just take a break from it for a while first.

Premier league is pish on FM, I know it a rich league irl but the way you can dominate domestically and in Europe with any old team in no time turns me off. Also the big clubs hardly put up a fight, just look at the clubs below you, quadtrillionaires newcastle, billionaires chelsea, richer than you spurs and others, it just always feels too easy.

Austria next shrew :lol:

I think it would be interesting to see you play this style at a club with far less resources maybe where you’re trying to use this approach to snap up frees who may have been undervalued etc and maybe like @_Ben_ has with Barello, find players who are maybe being played out of position/role but their stats show potential. 

5 minutes ago, danielgear said:

Premier league is pish on FM, I know it a rich league irl but the way you can dominate domestically and in Europe with any old team in no time turns me off. Also the big clubs hardly put up a fight, just look at the clubs below you, quadtrillionaires newcastle, billionaires chelsea, richer than you spurs and others, it just always feels too easy.

Austria next shrew :lol:

I think it would be interesting to see you play this style at a club with far less resources maybe where you’re trying to use this approach to snap up frees who may have been undervalued etc and maybe like @_Ben_ has with Barello, find players who are maybe being played out of position/role but their stats show potential. 

Aye, totally agree. I spent £42m on a player that didn't break a 7 average rating ffs. And hardly batted an eyelid. The fact that I haven't even run a transfer profit is completely unheard of for me. Just madness.

I would probably give Austria another shot were it not for the 12-team league. I absolutely hate small leagues. 16-team minimum for me.

But your final paragraph is bang on. That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Tighter resources, much less room for forgiveness in the market - if I commit, then I have to know that it'll work. And Ben's thread is, as ever, definitely an inspiration on that score. I've got a few options in Eastern Europe that I'm considering. Also have to decide whether or not to go back to attribute numbers and just force myself into using stats alongside.

Yep, this is why I find premier league FM save content hard to follow. (Yours was ok :lol:) either written or visual, after a few seasons they’re spending £45m+ on 2nd/3rd choice players etc it just doesn’t do it for me. 
Much prefer following the more dialled in saves. Bens is probably one of my favourites in years to follow and Eastern/south east Europe has been a favourite of mine the last few editions mainly because South America is so buggy. Having done Turkey, lower league Germany, Greece and now Estonia. 
This save the way you’ve approached it has been good to follow and you’ve signed players that no one else seemed to have. I think if you’re happy with the stats approach I’d knock attributes on the head or use the stars again. I wonder if you’d be worth doing what Ben did and holiday 5 seasons (keeping yearly saves) and starting from there in your chosen nation.

9 minutes ago, danielgear said:

Yep, this is why I find premier league FM save content hard to follow. (Yours was ok :lol:) either written or visual, after a few seasons they’re spending £45m+ on 2nd/3rd choice players etc it just doesn’t do it for me. 
Much prefer following the more dialled in saves. Bens is probably one of my favourites in years to follow and Eastern/south east Europe has been a favourite of mine the last few editions mainly because South America is so buggy. Having done Turkey, lower league Germany, Greece and now Estonia. 
This save the way you’ve approached it has been good to follow and you’ve signed players that no one else seemed to have. I think if you’re happy with the stats approach I’d knock attributes on the head or use the stars again. I wonder if you’d be worth doing what Ben did and holiday 5 seasons (keeping yearly saves) and starting from there in your chosen nation.

Aye, I try to actively avoid signing the same old players as everyone else. So even if they did come up on my stat searches or scouting recommendations, I just ignored them. Along with anyone that I'd personally signed before. Always nice to keep a save relatively fresh.

I was considering continuing this game world and just starting afresh with a new manager, but in the world that had moved on in a unique way. If I could get the FM Base newgen face thing to work then I'd seriously consider it.

5 minutes ago, danielgear said:

I’m sure there’s someone who could help?

I tweeted FM Base and they sent me to a link on their site. I tried there but no luck. It just doesn't write anything into the config file. I just get the below. There should be mapping code between the two list lines at the bottom but nothing.

I've tried running as an admin, in case it's a write-permissions thing but no luck. No idea. Maybe I'm trying to run with too many entries.

Spoiler

<record>
        <!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->
        <boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->
        <boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->
                <!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions
                        in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any
                        place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics
                        files from the correct places
                -->

<list id="maps">

</list>
</record>

1 minute ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I tweeted FM Base and they sent me to a link on their site. I tried there but no luck. It just doesn't write anything into the config file. I just get the below. There should be mapping code between the two list lines at the bottom but nothing.

I've tried running as an admin, in case it's a write-permissions thing but no luck. No idea. Maybe I'm trying to run with too many entries.

Hide contents

<record>
        <!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->
        <boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->
        <boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->
                <!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions
                        in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any
                        place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics
                        files from the correct places
                -->

<list id="maps">

</list>
</record>

I have no idea it’s not something I even knew about but I know a few people did something similar with Laura’s newgen faces. I know Oliver Jensen used it you could maybe send him a DM? Whilst it’s different surely the progress should be the same/similar

15 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

it's been a great read, I learned a few things! - hope you refresh and continue to write!

41 minutes ago, Matty Aqua said:

On another note, there's a guy who does realistic database edits and they're pretty good imo - I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is up your alley @Shrewnaldo and @danielgearbut it's something different and balances out overpowered newgens

Thanks. I've seen something like that a few times, although I haven't looked at the most recent update so will give it a watch.

I try to avoid anything which changes the game too much, though. Partly through fear of it going wrong and ruining a save that I'm into, and partly through a general aversion to anything which changes stuff like PA or key game mechanics.

Good news (if you're into that sort of thing), is that FM Rensie helped me fix the issue with the newgan face replacement thing. So it now works a treat and, picking up on @danielgear's suggestion and @_Ben_'s precedent, I think I'll look to continue this game-world and move to my new club in the unique environment that has been created by five and a half years of AI gameplay.

I'll post a little later but the two main options are Cracovia in Poland and Banik Ostrava in Czechia.

2 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Thanks. I've seen something like that a few times, although I haven't looked at the most recent update so will give it a watch.

I try to avoid anything which changes the game too much, though. Partly through fear of it going wrong and ruining a save that I'm into, and partly through a general aversion to anything which changes stuff like PA or key game mechanics.

Good news (if you're into that sort of thing), is that FM Rensie helped me fix the issue with the newgan face replacement thing. So it now works a treat and, picking up on @danielgear's suggestion and @_Ben_'s precedent, I think I'll look to continue this game-world and move to my new club in the unique environment that has been created by five and a half years of AI gameplay.

I'll post a little later but the two main options are Cracovia in Poland and Banik Ostrava in Czechia.

Nice choices, how are both the clubs doing?

1 minute ago, Shrewnaldo said:

That's totally fair, I've used it the last 3 years and I haven't run into any issues!.

I like that your staying in the Universe you've created!

1 minute ago, danielgear said:

Nice choices, how are both the clubs doing?

That's one of the reasons I'm looking at these two - they're both towards the bottom end of their respective leagues.  Cracovia were actually relegated and have bounced back, whilst Banik have just been on a general slide down the table after qualifying for Europe in season 1. I'm leaning towards the latter for the moment, but also taking a look through other leagues for options.

3 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Just saw this on Twitter and I must apologise - it is the exact same issue as I was having. I just go another skin that doesn’t use the same removal of letters on nationality flags (which the Rensie skin does and where I got the idea from) and create it that way. So sorry for missing that info. 

Great news in terms of your game. Will it be the same methodical approach? Any link to birds for either team to keep the name as it is?!

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Just saw this on Twitter and I must apologise - it is the exact same issue as I was having. I just go another skin that doesn’t use the same removal of letters on nationality flags (which the Rensie skin does and where I got the idea from) and create it that way. So sorry for missing that info. 

Great news in terms of your game. Will it be the same methodical approach? Any link to birds for either team to keep the name as it is?!

Sadly not that I'm aware of but I'll keep looking. Not sure whether to continue with this thread or make a new one? Happy to take opinions on that.

Also happy to take opinions on which team to pick up. These are the leagues that I've had loaded throughout the save and to which I'd like to stick.

image.thumb.png.4730a79c80c41f58e914a0a1b821ae30.png

Currently I'm looking at the following options:

1. Cracovia - Poland

• 2021/22 - 13th
  • 2022/23 - 16th (relegated)
  • 2023/24 - 1st (promoted)
  • 2024/25 - 14th
  • 2025/26 - 13th
  • 2026/27 - currently 15th

image.thumb.png.8374453ee9ddd49c5254fdc812b713a0.png

2. Banik Ostrava - Czech Republic

• 2021/22 - 12th
  • 2022/23 - 7th
  • 2023/24 - 6th
  • 2024/25 - 6th
  • 2025/26 - 9th

image.thumb.png.73c5167f744b6f245647ea12ce5543f4.png

Banik are the bigger side, both overall and relative to the rest of their respective leagues. But there are pros and cons for both sides so I'm stuck between the two really.

14 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Sadly not that I'm aware of but I'll keep looking. Not sure whether to continue with this thread or make a new one? Happy to take opinions on that.

Also happy to take opinions on which team to pick up. These are the leagues that I've had loaded throughout the save and to which I'd like to stick.

image.thumb.png.4730a79c80c41f58e914a0a1b821ae30.png

Currently I'm looking at the following options:

1. Cracovia - Poland

• 2021/22 - 13th
  • 2022/23 - 16th (relegated)
  • 2023/24 - 1st (promoted)
  • 2024/25 - 14th
  • 2025/26 - 13th

image.thumb.png.8374453ee9ddd49c5254fdc812b713a0.png

2. Banik Ostrava - Czech Republic

• 2021/22 - 12th
  • 2022/23 - 7th
  • 2023/24 - 6th
  • 2024/25 - 6th
  • 2025/26 - 9th

image.thumb.png.73c5167f744b6f245647ea12ce5543f4.png

Banik are the bigger side, both overall and relative to the rest of their respective leagues. But there are pros and cons for both sides so I'm stuck between the two really.

Will you be decreasing the English leagues? You could add other leagues (Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Columbia, USA, Australia, Japan, etc?)  instead if you wanted as well.

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I had a spell with Banik great club. The one big advantage to cracovia is you have the epic derby match! 

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Cracovia. I think part of my indecision is that the clubs are, from an FM view point, really quite similar 

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Will you be decreasing the English leagues? You could add other leagues (Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Columbia, USA, Australia, Japan, etc?)  instead if you wanted as well.

I'll definitely reduce the English leagues and I might add some others that are geographically logical to where I end up (I don't have a Japan editor file loaded). But I don't want to move to a league which I haven't had loaded throughout. So I'll definitely stick to one of those 24. 

12 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Is it too late to throw a club like Sparta Rotterdam into the mix?

Not too late as I still haven't decided. However, "my Dutch team", for wont of a better phrase, is ADO Den Haag after a couple of saves with them in the past. I was a little tempted by this but my last save with ADO wasn't that long ago and the Eredivisie is a little higher than I wanted to go.

These are the competition rankings in my game just now and I think Scotland is about as high as I'd want to go.

image.thumb.png.29f1764b3ea94a9db54ad4c054f7bddc.png

So I've been running through those leagues looking for options. In addition to Cracovia and Banik, there are a few options that sort of tempt me:

• Viking Stavanger in Norway - I've worked in Norway a lot, have a Viking shirt and haven't played in Norway properly for a long time
  • a couple of Turkish options stood out. Beşiktaş have been on the slide for the last two seasons but I really think that'd be too easy as such as a big club. Bursaspor have just been promoted back to the top tier
  • Rapid Wien have been struggling this season and are one of my favourite sides, having developed a big affiliation with the club through FM in past years. But again probably too easy given how big a club they are, plus I don't like the 12-team league
  • Helsingborg who have just been promoted back to the Allsvenskan after being relegated in 2022

As you can tell, I'm not all that decisive when it comes to FM saves.

I think that the league i have seen less is the serbian one, and so i would like to suggest it.
It has at least 2 major rivals for home dominance and other clubs have good facilities, if not better, such as Vojvodina or TSC, and even Cukaricki.
It has some good newgens over the course of saves and for those wanting to command the national team is a very respectable side.

Will follow the save anyway so looking forward to the surprise when you decide where to take us in this upcoming journey.

On 01/03/2022 at 20:56, keeper#1 said:

Goteborg in Sweden is probably too good of a team to start out with but they are the only Scandi team to win a European trophy and now a mid-table Allsvenskan side.

7 minutes ago, CenturionProdigy said:

I think that the league i have seen less is the serbian one, and so i would like to suggest it.
It has at least 2 major rivals for home dominance and other clubs have good facilities, if not better, such as Vojvodina or TSC, and even Cukaricki.
It has some good newgens over the course of saves and for those wanting to command the national team is a very respectable side.

Will follow the save anyway so looking forward to the surprise when you decide where to take us in this upcoming journey.

Thanks both, the suggestions are appreciated. I *think* I've settled on an option though, in Czechia but not the team mentioned. I'm giving the save a few days to see if it "clicks" before posting anything though

Sadly, I don't think there's any sort of bird-themed relation to the club but I'm keen just to keep this thread going. That's not going to go against any sort of forum rules will it?

@ShrewnaldoGreat read as always.

Can vouch for Norway being great fun, currently resenting that I left Kongsvinger for Brugge after two Elitseiren titles. Even after 4/5 seasons Norway was really competitive, and the home grown/domestic player rules mean you have to be careful with transfers. 

How did you fix the regen facepack? I'd been having the exact same issue; it just doesn't write anything into the config for me.  

2 hours ago, Jazzbobification said:

@ShrewnaldoGreat read as always.

Can vouch for Norway being great fun, currently resenting that I left Kongsvinger for Brugge after two Elitseiren titles. Even after 4/5 seasons Norway was really competitive, and the home grown/domestic player rules mean you have to be careful with transfers. 

How did you fix the regen facepack? I'd been having the exact same issue; it just doesn't write anything into the config for me.  

Rensie helped me out as it was a clash with his skin. If you're using his skin, or maybe one with a similar clash, then you can get the fix here:

I've done a wee bit with the new club but been really busy so haven't really decided what I'm doing yet.

Just caught up, and I agree that with your emphasis on stats and transfers, the Premier League is a bit too flush with cash to make that interesting - smaller leagues will give you more of what you're looking for.

Still, I very much appreciate the way you approached stats.  I've seen many stat heavy threads on the boards, and many of them are very high quality in terms of their use of stats, but for whatever reason, this one worked for me in ways that others haven't - helped it all 'click' in ways that has already started to add depth to my own saves.

3 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Just caught up, and I agree that with your emphasis on stats and transfers, the Premier League is a bit too flush with cash to make that interesting - smaller leagues will give you more of what you're looking for.

Still, I very much appreciate the way you approached stats.  I've seen many stat heavy threads on the boards, and many of them are very high quality in terms of their use of stats, but for whatever reason, this one worked for me in ways that others haven't - helped it all 'click' in ways that has already started to add depth to my own saves.

Thanks @13th Man, I really appreciate that. I'm really struggling to get into a save at the moment, sadly. I did try 6 months or so with České Budějovice in the same game world as this save but it didn't really grab me. I'm just meandering along now finishing the season with Bristol City. Might get Champions League and still in the FA Cup and Europa but all a bit meh now.

Perhaps a request then... I'd appreciate anyone who can provide me with football clubs outside the UK with bird-related nicknames. The more obscure the better, I reckon.

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Perhaps a request then... I'd appreciate anyone who can provide me with football clubs outside the UK with bird-related nicknames. The more obscure the better, I reckon.

I have two Norwegian teams, both in Eliteserien (top division):

Lillestrøm aka Kanarifuglene aka The Canaries based just outside of Oslo.

Haugesund FK aka Måkene aka The Seagulls, based on the south west coast.

Edited by Netm

15 hours ago, corinthiano said:

This might give you some inspiration, although they are mascots and not nicknames - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_mascots#Brazil

My biased favorites would be the Flamengo vulture or the CRB country rooster.

I'm afraid I've never managed to enjoy FM in Brazil. I think it's just the sheer number of games that makes it feel like a proper slog

8 hours ago, Netm said:

I have two Norwegian teams, both in Eliteserien (top division):

Lillestrøm aka Kanarifuglene aka The Canaries based just outside of Oslo.

Haugesund FK aka Måkene aka The Seagulls, based on the south west coast.

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

If you fancy Norway, I work in Aalesund! Get in charge of the Orange army!! A yo-yo team who rivals are Molde (owned by the richest man in Norway) beat the Rich rivals 

I am quite tempted by Norway. I worked in Norway a lot previously and have a few Norwegian shirts in my collection. Viking would probably be my first choice, even though there's no bird link 

On 11/03/2022 at 15:08, Shrewnaldo said:

Viking would probably be my first choice, even though there's no bird link 

Lillestrom have a bird link, and you get this lovely logo... As a real life Norwich fan, perhaps I'm just bias due to their nickname 

Lillestrøm SK - Wikipedia

Edited by Jazzbobification

All of the clubs you mention each have their own appeal. I am currently running a save in Norway and can vouch that it has been a welcome change to my usual scene of playing in the likes of France, Germany etc. but having played in Norway previously, I am sure you are well aware of the enjoyment that the leagues can bring. 

Looking forward to whoever you choose. You can count me in for following! :) 

• 1 month later...

So after putting this game on hiatus a couple of months back, I haven't really been able to get into another save. I've had brief spells with Ceske Budojovice, Rapid Wien, AIK, ADO Den Haag, Cartagena, Real Sporting de Gijon, and probably many more I can't even recall. I must have started about 150 new save worlds...

...eventually I just got bored and wandered back to the Bristol City save and mucked around with a few new tactics and systems. Having enjoyed the game again, it's possible this might stick long enough for me to try and win the title but it mostly inspired me just to come back here and bring some focus on the game style. There seems to be quite a bit of noise around the 'scene' just now about statistics, analytics and the perennial misuse of the term Moneyball to attract hits. Every time I see these things, I just remember the satisfaction in recruiting a player through the statistical model and that signing going on to be a big hit. Case in point, Enzo Le Fée.

image.png.509ab21e8cdfe615db399d9cf4bff3f5.png

Folk who have followed this thread may remember the initial search for a creative 6, posted here, and the decision between four potential signings. The general consensus was to go for either Danilo or Enzo, and with the former signing a new contract at Palmeiras, the Frenchman arrived at Ashton Gate for £11.25m. 136 starts later, he's been an absolute dream as the regista within the xmas tree / diamond system we used up to this season - last year racking up an impressive 16 assists and a 7.57 average rating.

image.thumb.png.4c3ce390ac599a083d506654e49ae8c3.png

Enzo dominated games, averaging a little over 98 passes per 90, and created as much from open play as he did from set pieces.

Whilst there were other successes of the statistical approach - honourable mentions here to Tyrese Campbell's 40 goal season, Wilfred Ndidi's defensive dominance and Ethan Laird's rampaging creativity from fullback - I just can't look past Enzo as the embodiment of the recruitment strategy's success. So much so that I struggle to see any other way to play the game going forward.

The only, and ultimate, frustration is the lack of reliability and consistency in the statistics. Some just plain don't work - and these change from patch to patch. Some just aren't available in the manner they should be and are near impossible to extract from the game. Who knows how representative those that are simulated in non-active leagues are? And why can't they be made available for previous seasons? And why aren't Recruitment Analysts in the slightest bit useful? And why doesn't the Data Hub allow you to add players from outside your own league, or even just your shortlists, for recruitment purposes?

Areas of growth for the game, to be sure - and if those areas are hit, then it'll keep 'veteran' players like me coming back for more. I mean, take a look at Enzo. Is there anything more satisfying in Football Manager than making an underhyped signing like that and seeing it come to fruition on the pitch over and over?

Last season we made it to the Europa League final, eventually losing to Benfica and the breaking of Béla Guttmann's curse. Our league form suffered for the European escapades, failing to win any of the last 5 games and slipping to 8th, and so the opportunity has come for a bit of a revamp - a tactical adjustment and, most enticingly, the necessity for some different recruitment profiles. Hopefully a few more Enzos to find, and hopefully another season or two of interest to get me back into FM.

Did Enzo give you lots of those sublime passes we saw in friendlies during all of those games? Love those stats of his you posted for him too.

7 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

The only, and ultimate, frustration is the lack of reliability and consistency in the statistics. Some just plain don't work - and these change from patch to patch. Some just aren't available in the manner they should be and are near impossible to extract from the game. Who knows how representative those that are simulated in non-active leagues are? And why can't they be made available for previous seasons? And why aren't Recruitment Analysts in the slightest bit useful? And why doesn't the Data Hub allow you to add players from outside your own league, or even just your shortlists, for recruitment purposes?

I think that’s one of the big adjustments to the game that’s needed. Why put a stats hub into the game but not have basic stats in there. xA and expected threat, ability to remove penalties and set pieces from stats, passing stats fleshed out. xG by itself doesn’t give enough info, and doesn’t explain results sufficiently (eg Germany’s hammering of Brazil).

7 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Last season we made it to the Europa League final, eventually losing to Benfica and the breaking of Béla Guttmann's curse. Our league form suffered for the European escapades, failing to win any of the last 5 games and slipping to 8th, and so the opportunity has come for a bit of a revamp - a tactical adjustment and, most enticingly, the necessity for some different recruitment profiles. Hopefully a few more Enzos to find, and hopefully another season or two of interest to get me back into FM.

Europa League final is some decent progress. I guess you don’t have the depth to maintain competing on multiple fronts. Will you be documenting your next season or two?

10 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

So after putting this game on hiatus a couple of months back, I haven't really been able to get into another save. I've had brief spells with Ceske Budojovice, Rapid Wien, AIK, ADO Den Haag, Cartagena, Real Sporting de Gijon, and probably many more I can't even recall. I must have started about 150 new save worlds...

...eventually I just got bored and wandered back to the Bristol City save and mucked around with a few new tactics and systems. Having enjoyed the game again, it's possible this might stick long enough for me to try and win the title but it mostly inspired me just to come back here and bring some focus on the game style. There seems to be quite a bit of noise around the 'scene' just now about statistics, analytics and the perennial misuse of the term Moneyball to attract hits. Every time I see these things, I just remember the satisfaction in recruiting a player through the statistical model and that signing going on to be a big hit. Case in point, Enzo Le Fée.

image.png.509ab21e8cdfe615db399d9cf4bff3f5.png

Folk who have followed this thread may remember the initial search for a creative 6, posted here, and the decision between four potential signings. The general consensus was to go for either Danilo or Enzo, and with the former signing a new contract at Palmeiras, the Frenchman arrived at Ashton Gate for £11.25m. 136 starts later, he's been an absolute dream as the regista within the xmas tree / diamond system we used up to this season - last year racking up an impressive 16 assists and a 7.57 average rating.

image.thumb.png.4c3ce390ac599a083d506654e49ae8c3.png

Enzo dominated games, averaging a little over 98 passes per 90, and created as much from open play as he did from set pieces.

Whilst there were other successes of the statistical approach - honourable mentions here to Tyrese Campbell's 40 goal season, Wilfred Ndidi's defensive dominance and Ethan Laird's rampaging creativity from fullback - I just can't look past Enzo as the embodiment of the recruitment strategy's success. So much so that I struggle to see any other way to play the game going forward.

Areas of growth for the game, to be sure - and if those areas are hit, then it'll keep 'veteran' players like me coming back for more. I mean, take a look at Enzo. Is there anything more satisfying in Football Manager than making an underhyped signing like that and seeing it come to fruition on the pitch over and over?

Couldn’t agree more. I have championed you for a long time for your view on statistical analysis. In particular the recruitment side of it, SI should take notice of your great work but also the desire to improve the game in this sense. I signed Ugalde on the strength of his numbers, more so from a previous season in my league and so far he’s the bargain of the century. I’ve now just signed a left back through a similar route.

i have always relied on attributes to make decisions, but now with the stats you have used it’s really brought to life my recruitment. I am in all sense more inclined to enjoy the tactical side of the game and while the data hub and analysts have certainly been better in that area there are still holes but if the recruitment model was to have similar depth like the tactical analysis screen it would add so much more immersion.

Simply put the data hub has vastly improved the game but if they can take it a step further and really add to it, it will enhance the game so much and your ideas shouldn’t go unnoticed by the makers.