[FM24] [WIP] Iron Curtain 1988 - If you rebuild it, it will come.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Iron Curtain version focused mainly on international football as I reworked the international competition back to 1988(-ish) form. The national competition were less developed and we aim to fix that this time around.

A small rundown of what is currently in the works and being planned:

Finished

• Hopefully this list is growing soon!

In Final Checks

• Foreign Player rules for Western European teams, except for West Germany 
  • Foreign Player rules for China
  • Competition rules for Albania
  • Competition rules for Hungary
  • International Continental Rules Africa
  • International Continental Rules Asia
  • International Continental Rules North America
  • International Continental Rules Oceania
  • International Continental Rules South America
  • International Continental Rules World
  • International National Team Rules Africa
  • International National Team Rules Asia
  • International National Team Rules Europe
  • International National Team Rules South America
  • International National Team Rules World
  • International National Team Rules Olympics

In Test

• International Continental Rules Europe
  • International National Team Rules Oceania One competition is missing
  • International National Team Rules World Cup Qualification system needs to be looked at
  • International National Team Rules World Youth Tournament One confederation has some issues
  • Competition rules for West Germany Competition is not yet entirely finalized though
  • Competition rules for Czechoslovakia
  • Competition rules for Poland

In Build

• Competition rules for East Germany
  • Competition rules for Bulgaria
  • Competition rules for Soviet Union

Waiting for Build

• Competition rules for Romania
  • Competition rules for Yugoslavia
  • Players Data (this includes for instance moving players to their original nation and changing nationalities)
  • Balancing

There are a few more minor files that are 'helper' files so despite cleaning up a bit we still end up with around the same 57 files like in Iron Curtaim 2020

• Wolf_pd changed the title to [FM22] [WIP] If you rebuild it, it will come... Iron Curtain 22

Today was mostly spend setting regional divisions for West Germany as instead of 2 playable levels the plan is to have 5 playable levels.

Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga
Verbandsliga
Landesliga

I am looking into the Verbandspokals to see if I can add those in a proper way as well and add them as qualifiers for the German Cup.

On my side can confirm we will have:

Hungary top 3 levels as they were around 1988.

Albania top 3 tiers as they were around 1988.

I am now working on East Germany, where I'm still unsure on how far down I'll go, but guaranteed to be 3 tiers, most likely 4. Below this level it gets very hard to get accurate information on how the leagues were on all Bezirks.

Edited by Reiver

• Wolf_pd changed the title to [FM22] [WIP] Iron Curtain 22 - If you rebuild it, it will come.

Some testing and checking today and I do have some work left on the World Cup and World Youth Tournament, which are by far the most complex competition files :(

But hey, I need a challenge ;)

3 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Great news! 

Will we have any of the regional leagues in the USSR (Azeri-SSR, Kazakh-SSR...etc)? 

Yes, although they will look different than you think. Reason is that the Ukrainian and Kazakh SSR republic league are at level 3, while the Azeri, Armenian, etc are at level 4. And Russia is spread over 4-5 (more maybe?) regional leagues at level 3 and they don't have a republican league at all. I am aiming for at least 4 levels, so every republic will have at least their republican league. Depending on time, level of information and speed I might deepen it a bit, but I am still thinking about that.

On 20/01/2022 at 01:16, Wolf_pd said:

Today was mostly spend setting regional divisions for West Germany as instead of 2 playable levels the plan is to have 5 playable levels.

Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga
Verbandsliga
Landesliga

I am looking into the Verbandspokals to see if I can add those in a proper way as well and add them as qualifiers for the German Cup.

I have added all regional divisions to the senior teams and will add the teams to the competitions tomorrow. I fear I have to create some new teams to add to the competitions as well.
After that it is checking every single team for U19 teams and set the correct regional divisions for them as well. Luckily that is a LOT less divisions!

Too bad my holiday is over after tomorrow.

I found out I have to add about 200 teams to West Germany, which is more than I expected. So I will start on Czechoslovakia tomorrow as well while creating those teams for West Germany.

That way I can keep the speed up with Czechoslovakia while doing the grind work with West Germany.

10 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Good luck with this Wolf 

Thanks. Hopefully I will not get sick this time. Because if I do, it will be the last Iron Curtain ever for me ;)

Czechoslovakia is work in progress in the meantime.

On 17/01/2022 at 18:43, Wolf_pd said:

This time I hope to be done before I get re-infected ;)

I should not jinx myself :(

Covid-test planned tomorrow. At least right now I feel like a human being compared to the first round of Covid.

If everything goes according to plan, the West German competition is finished tomorrow and will only need some data editing like history checks, stadium names, records and competition colours and such.

Since I am not completely recovered and it messes a little bit with my brain I haven't finished up working on the international competition. I need to be sharp and fresh to finish those!

But Monday it is back to Czechoslovakia and that is going quite smoothly as well. Some minor delay due to not feeling OK, but with just 450 teams compared to the almost 1940 West German teams, Czechoslovakia is a lot easier to handle.

2 hours ago, Forest said:

will the other nations like spain, england, france etc also be edited?

No, they will not be edited. We have discussed it as a possibility, but it will only be possible if the larger part of Eastern Europe is done and right now, we have parked it.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

Do you have a rough idea of when the whole project will be done?

Hard to say right now. 2022 is the plan, not 2023 ;)

The West German competition file is in test! I have several things still to check, but first want this big beast running and see that it runs stable. It has become quite the beast!

6 levels
Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga (8 divisions)
Verbandsliga (21 divisions)
Landesliga (47 divisions)
Bezirksliga (inactive level)

and added to that

U19 First division and Jugenmeisterschaft (16 divisions with a 16 team playoff)
U19 second division (inactive division)

DFB Pokal (32 teams)
DFB Super Cup
Verbandspokal for each Fussball verband (16 total which feed into the DFB Pokal as the winners qualify for the DFB Pokal).
Jugendpokal (with the top 4 of each U19 division qualifying for it)

In a way, this one might even be more complex than the USSR championship to a certain extent.

Anyway, the test is running, so I am going to have dinner, do my groceries and get some work done on Czechoslovakia afterwards.

Guest Darkness89
2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

The West German competition file is in test! I have several things still to check, but first want this big beast running and see that it runs stable. It has become quite the beast!

6 levels
Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga (8 divisions)

and added to that

DFB Pokal (32 teams)
DFB Super Cup
Verbandspokal for each Fussball verband (16 total which feed into the DFB Pokal as the winners qualify for the DFB Pokal).

In a way, this one might even be more complex than the USSR championship to a certain extent.

Anyway, the test is running, so I am going to have dinner, do my groceries and get some work done on Czechoslovakia afterwards.

Good work nice job.

On 06/02/2022 at 16:58, Wolf_pd said:

6 levels
Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga (8 divisions)

and added to that

DFB Pokal (32 teams)
DFB Super Cup

Wow, that is massive. Almost as massive as West Ham ! :eek:

On 06/02/2022 at 11:58, Wolf_pd said:

6 levels
Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
Oberliga (8 divisions)

and added to that

DFB Pokal (32 teams)
DFB Super Cup

I've been only playing FM22 on and off, frustrated by repetition and the fact that every country feels the same to me.  The resurrection of Iron Curtain is causing me to think about getting deep into this game again.

Seriously, West Germany alone is going to be an absolute blast.  Thank you for your hard work!

55 minutes ago, Reiver said:

I just spent around half an hour on google going through old pictures of a former East Germany barracks to figure out where the sports field was during East Germany times. It was fun,

You are missing the :D at the end.

In the meantime I am working hard adding the regional divisions to Czechoslovakia.

The divisional setup

Czechoslovak First Division
Czechoslovak Second Division consisting of 2 divisions (a Czech and a Slovak division)
Czechoslovak Third Division consisting of 4 divisions (a Bohemian and a Moravian on the Czech side and a Slovak East and a Slovak west division on the Slovak side)
Czechoslovak Fourth Division consisting of 8 divisions (4 divisions on the Czech side (for Bohemia and Moravia, 2 each) and similarly both the Slovak East and West have each 2 divisions below)
Czechoslovak Fifth Division which are two unplayable leagues, 1 for the Czech side and one for the Slovak side

The Czechoslovak Cup, which is a Supercup between the winners of
The Czech Cup and
The Slovak Cup

And of course there is something for the young ones
U19 Level 1 with a Czech and a Slovak division
U19 Level 2 with 2 Czech (Bohemia and Moravia) and 2 Slovak (East and West) divisions
U19 Level 3 which has two unplayable divisions for the Czech and Slovak area.

With about a quarter of the teams compared to West Germany this goes a bit quicker!

I expect to be competition building in the weekend and then run the Czechoslovak competition in test next week.

The West German competition isn't finished yet, because right now I am trying to set the basic as good as I can so I can test more quickly. And next week Poland is on the menu as well!

Setting up the Czechoslovak competition today. Senior divisions are done, I am looking into the Cups (exact teams that qualify) and the U19s will follow after that. Should be finished tonight to run a first few test. So tomorrow Poland is started!

6 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Setting up the Czechoslovak competition today. Senior divisions are done, I am looking into the Cups (exact teams that qualify) and the U19s will follow after that. Should be finished tonight to run a first few test. So tomorrow Poland is started!

I look forward to leading Bohemians Praha to glory!

45 minutes ago, Andreh68 said:

At first I was not convinced with the 2 points per victory, but can live with it now.

I loved going back to 2 points for a victory, and particularly was fond of the strict squad registration rules.

I know it's not up for consideration at the moment, but it would be quite nice if England could be rolled back to 1988 as well.

I've forgotten - do substitutes also go back to 2 out of 5 in the mod?

9 hours ago, Daniel Evensen said:

I loved going back to 2 points for a victory, and particularly was fond of the strict squad registration rules.

I know it's not up for consideration at the moment, but it would be quite nice if England could be rolled back to 1988 as well.

I've forgotten - do substitutes also go back to 2 out of 5 in the mod?

They go back 3 from 5, but only because the editor doesn’t allow for 2 from 5.

Also, while the 1988 England situation is interesting there are two reasons not to do it
1. English teams were banned from Europe :D For the sake of realism I will consider removing them :)
2. The English competition was in a transition with changing team numbers, so I would have to pick another year than 1988

I got some questions via PM and as they are relevant enough for other people as well I will answer them here

• How do you decide on how many levels to pick for the competitions
    • Based on the amount of teams in the database. For West Germany the competition setup was very easy to find, for Czechoslovakia I had a Slovak friend who provided me with top information on competition formats, so we could have gone deeper, but the limit for both is the amount of teams per subdivisions needed where we need to start adding new teams.
    • Based on the available information online of the competition levels. For Poland, it is pretty hard to find out how things are setup beyond a certain level, even when discussing this with a fellow mod who is also a Polish researcher. So there the lowest level is likely determined by the available information. For the Soviet Union this is even worse. I could work out 10 levels for Russia and Ukraine, but the Central Asian republics have very very very limited data, so I am very likely not to go beyond a playable level 4 (the republican levels for those who want to know), maybe if I can work it out, level 5. That also means much less researchwork, because if I can't find the team name in the upper echelons, I am not going to revive the team (I have an alternative idea to revive teams if their foundation date is known, their last season is after 1988 or there is no other team in their city, but that's one to decide).
  • How on earth do you guys find this information? How many languages do you speak?
    • Google :)  And then it is interpretation and comparing information. You look at wikipedia, you open the pages of the language where the team is from and use other sources you find on Google. The Polish wikipedia does give some good information usually. Those people have really put some time in there, also on foreign (for Polish people) football clubs. Also, for this kind of stuff you need to be able to dig into data. If you can't, it is really going to be hard.
    • We have at least 5 languages between the three of us (English, German, Portuguese, French, Dutch, not sure who speaks other languages in the group as well). In other languages we do rely on Google translate and discussion between the three of us
  • Is the mod ever done, since there is so much that can be done?
    • Well, we need to release it at one moment, but you are right. We have discussed several things to do where we decided that it is only doable if there is time.
    • In the end we can keep on churning out updates, but with new FMs coming out interest moves away from this version quickly at the end of the year

A temporarily ban should be possible, but I have to work out how (never done it before).

So it's something I will keep an eye on it, but it could be that it doesn't end up in the game.

If I get it to work it will be the same as what happened in reallife, which means English teams can come back after three seasons (1990-91 was the season English were unbanned) and Liverpool will get a ban for a season extra. The Liverpool is actually quite simple as they have a timed ban, while the rest is the complete competition banned and means the amount of teams in European competition is changed.

Edit: Liverpool ban is already in, just because I felt naughty doing it (waiting for people to complain when they see it :D
Second edit: I have created a Feature request for the editor to create custom substitution rules.

18 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Second edit: I have created a Feature request for the editor to create custom substitution rules.

Hopefully this means we'll finally be able to accurately recreate pre-1958 seasons, back when there were no substitutions at all.  Try using one of those "enhanced injuries" mods with that setup!  :lol:

Edited by Daniel Evensen