Football Manager 2022 running really slow all of a sudden - Help needed

The Title says it all,

Over the past week Football Manager has been running so slow for me its become unplayable, had no problems all game cycle up until now, and the same goes for FM21. The Laptop is a DELL Inspiration 5405 and was only purchased less than a year ago (brand new). Below are the specs...

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics            2.38 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.37 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have tried removing all skins, facepacks and logos but had no success. Last night I reset the whole laptop, redownloaded FM and everything was running fine, redownloaded all facepacks etc and everything seemed to be back to normal, but got back on tonight and all the same issues have come back.

Any help would be much appreciated!

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Could be anti-virus interfering so worth reading this - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409230548497

If that doesn't help, worth contacting our support team directly here - https://fm22.info/SupportTicket

Thanks for the reply, tried the steps regarding uninstalling antivirus softaware, but has made no difference. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, uoloihs93 said:

Thanks for the reply, tried the steps regarding uninstalling antivirus softaware, but has made no difference. 

Could be a caching issue, but seems strange that would effect both games. Can try this but otherwise as said, contact support direct via the link above. They'll be able to reply directly via email and help out. 

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Could be a caching issue, but seems strange that would effect both games. Can try this but otherwise as said, contact support direct via the link above. They'll be able to reply directly via email and help out. 

tried this also but made no difference. Ive contacted the support team though so hopefully they can help me out. Thanks for your help though!

• 8 months later...
On 24/02/2022 at 19:06, uoloihs93 said:

The Title says it all,

Over the past week Football Manager has been running so slow for me its become unplayable, had no problems all game cycle up until now, and the same goes for FM21. The Laptop is a DELL Inspiration 5405 and was only purchased less than a year ago (brand new). Below are the specs...

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics            2.38 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.37 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have tried removing all skins, facepacks and logos but had no success. Last night I reset the whole laptop, redownloaded FM and everything was running fine, redownloaded all facepacks etc and everything seemed to be back to normal, but got back on tonight and all the same issues have come back.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Did you manage to solve this? I am not experiencing this suddenly with FM23.

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing this suddenly with FM23, is there a fix?

Starting yesterday game started to run super slowly. I have a large database but previously the game speed was moderately fast, now it is just unplayable. I am also in year 1 of the save.

Tried deleting cache but didn't work

A drive storage or updates issue?

Once in a while my PC hangs a little while playing FM and it seems that upates of other software especially windows slow it down even if i have them set to not update while gaming.

Also i encountered an issue that my SSD tends to stall the PC (i runs like a C64 then with stuttering 5 FPS) when i put it into the slot below the GPU (could be either a heat issue or a CPU-PCI-Lane issue bcs the other slot runs via the chipset and i have 99% less trouble with that).

Win 10 is also known for not handling well some SSDs that run as System SSD as it overloads the cache with to frequent access to fast, Win 11 is only a little better - i regret not having taken a Samsung SSD i know would have run without issue as my old SATA-SSD Samsung EVO 850 had no issue to run as system drive at all and never slowed the system down yet the modern NVME Drive runs like crap as system SSD.

Well, lesson learned, next SSD System drive will be another one.

Edited by Etebaer

You're right about the EVO 850.  Mine still runs like a champ.

I know its what most people would call a last resort but I always do a fresh reinstall of Windows on all of my Windows machines once every 1-2 years.  All of my vital files are cloud based so its pretty easy.  

17 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

I used to play 20-30 leagues. Then i realised i dont need 100 players in every scouting update. Loaded 6 favourite leagues last save and boy the game is twice as fast!! Tip of the day. Theres still plenty of good players in all good teams.

If you want loads of player and decent speed, I'd recommend adding players in the advance setup instead of loading up too many leagues. Adding "international players" and "players from club in continental competitions" to all continents will usually give loads of players from every nation without slowing down too much.

I did it in my save (lower league Norway) and only added a few neighbouring leagues as well as the top one in the biggest leagues in Europe and I have 82k players.

ZFoqU6o.png

6 hours ago, XaW said:

If you want loads of player and decent speed, I'd recommend adding players in the advance setup instead of loading up too many leagues. Adding "international players" and "players from club in continental competitions" to all continents will usually give loads of players from every nation without slowing down too much.

I did it in my save (lower league Norway) and only added a few neighbouring leagues as well as the top one in the biggest leagues in Europe and I have 82k players.

ZFoqU6o.png

Thanks, good tip! My latest concern is the transfer activity. So far it is OK with 8 leagues but not as active as with 20 leagues.

How did you feel about the transfer market activity in your save and how easy was it to sell players?

Loading the big four leagues is good for higher bids, staff and some good free transfers. But for the first time I didnt load the big four because my latest save is a focus on home grown players :)  Playing a scandinavian club, you can barely buy or sign the best players from the big four as the wages there are so much higher. So I’m testing to skip the big four from those reasons plus game speed and having less scouted players to go through

Edited by Dreambuilder

3 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

Thanks, good tip! My latest concern is the transfer activity. So far it is OK with 8 leagues but not as active as with 20 leagues.

How did you feel about the transfer market activity in your save and how easy was it to sell players?

Loading the big four leagues is good for higher bids, staff and some good free transfers. But for the first time I didnt load the big four because my latest save is a focus on home grown players   Playing a scandinavian club, you can barely buy or sign the best players from the big four as the wages there are so much higher. So I’m testing to skip the big four from those reasons plus game speed and having less scouted players to go through

Well, I've used this setup for several years now, and I don't have any issues with the transfer marked. I will note, however, that I play youth-only, so I don't sign any players. So I can't give an opinion of how signing players work compared to other setups. Selling works as I would expect it to though where I get some offers lower than what I want and sometimes higher than what would expect I could. I have posted a detailed post here before on the sale of one of my players where I fleeced West Ham for a rather poor player: