Is FM22 better than 21?

I haven't been following fm22 at all so before I purchase it, I'd like some insight and people's opinions on the game. Yes I'm aware I can play the demo which I will do in future but for now just want some takes on the quality of the game. The pros and cons etc.

Thanks.

There is no better game as FM in terms of value/money aswell as avg. playing time/money. There are plenty of articles online where you can get a overview about the pro/cons of the game. (if you find any big cons I would be massively surprized).  In the end it's your own decision. For me personally, buying the latest FM is a "no-brainer". 

You will most likely get a wide feedback from people here, all from it's the most perfect game of all time, to completely unplayable. The truth is somewhere in between. For my part, I think it's a clear step up from FM21, but is still has some issues, but none that have caused too much issue for me. After the latest fix where the issue with inverted wingers and inside forwards was remedied, I don't have many things to complain about. Mostly small niggles here and there that I hope will be improved in the future.

1 minute ago, maestro31 said:

Thanks for the insight, when the game was first released, I saw it was overpowered in crossing and heading aswell as corners and a lack of through balls being played which was the opposite on fm21. Has this been rectified now?

That was the opinion of some but not all by any means- for specific questions like this try the demo and make up your own mind.

24 minutes ago, ianscousemac said:

It is the best FM for me, but I usually say this about the latest version. The ME, which for me is the main part of the game is the best its ever been.

That's interesting, for me fm21 had the best ME so to hear that 22 match engine is the best its ever been is good! I will try to play the demo and see for myself but thanks for all the replies!

For me yes, I think it's a big step up from FM21 in terms of the match engine. There are a couple of issues with defenders racking up too many short passes and the IW not dribbling enough, but the quality and variety of play I've seen is great.

The new animations also look great and make passages of play look really smooth.

13 hours ago, FrazT said:

That was the opinion of some but not all by any means- for specific questions like this try the demo and make up your own mind.

Your right. The speed of the game, especially since the update, is so good.

Better? IDK YMMV. Different? Yes. Fortunately it's only $40-$50 once a year. If it was $400-$500 then ya maybe best to skip it.

I've only been playing it since this weekend after the .3 update, after playing 20 seasons on FM21. One big plus, passing maps and analytics work again after being broke all through FM21. Otherwise you are just trading certain old repeatable patterns and behaviours, for new ones.

You'll definitely have to get used to this...

spacer.png

... and this...

spacer.png

when watching 3D matches ;)

As an all round game, FM22 is better. But I do prefer the FM21 ME - which of course has its faults too.

I'm back on FM22 now and have been enjoying my save a bit more since the update. Overall it's a bit deeper in detail and the out-of-ME experience is far superior IMO.

5 hours ago, freddieos said:

Anyone knows if the demo has been updated yet? Don't know how to check that on Steam, any help greatly appreciated. 

Check the game version in game status in the drop down menu under FM on the home screen and if it has been updated it will be 22.3.0

50 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Check the game version in game status in the drop down menu under FM on the home screen and if it has been updated it will be 22.3.0

Thanks for the reply and advice but I don't see any drop down menu on Steam where I can check the game version of the demo.

3 minutes ago, freddieos said:

Thanks for the reply and advice but I don't see any drop down menu on Steam where I can check the game version of the demo.

Those instructions were  for having FM open- do you have the Demo already?  If not, steam will automatically update the game when it downloads it

I'd say yes, FM22 is not a groundbreaking game in the series, initially looks just like a refined FM21.5 but when you play it you start to notice the improvements and after playing it I can't go back to FM22. The ME while not perfect is imho the best in the series after the latest official patch that fixed the main issue that was wide players not cutting it enough. Game speed and saves are a huge improvement that is so important for me as I like to advance many years in my journeyman saves. On the negative side, pass % stats are higher than real life specially as looking at league wide stats, seems that defenders pass to each other a lot, but it's more cosmetic as it's not that you see teams wasting time too much when you watch games.

If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy the latest database update and improvements, if you are an in a tight budget just keep enjoying FM21 but for me is a no brainer to buy it every year even if sometimes I'm complaining here at the forums, mainly because after more than 20 years playing and loving FM I want it to be perfect and obviously it's not. At the end is the price of just a good meal and I enjoy FM much more and for longer than that.

Edited by Icy

Before the last winter patch I'd have said FM21 was much better outside the UI and QOL features. Now after the winter update the M.E is worth the investment after fixing and improving the flow of the gameplay as pre patch it was robotic, predictable and unrealistic compared to fm21. Now I can confidently say FM22 is a upgrade on FM21 both on and off the pitch side of the game. It's not perfect but it's very fun now instead of being a chore watching the same old patterns of play pre patch.

Both are really bad. No enjoyment what so ever…

tactics runs bad, No dribbles, 2d looks bad, to many missed 1on1, possessionbug, AI plays the same, buys the same unrealstic players. Pressconferences are boring, scouting is bad, regens are horrible, prices are insane, wagedemands the same, Haaland is just broken, ageing squads(Salah is just as Good when hes 37), youngsters improving to slowly(bt their wagedemands is insane), hole fifaworldcup is just wrong, same managers getting sacked(all the ones playing 352versions), Klopp and Pep swap jobs. Yeah lets hope fm23 is good, but i doubt it.

Edited by Guest

On 03/03/2022 at 09:55, maestro31 said:

what kind of bugs are on 22? are they tolerable ones?

It would depend on how you play and ME wise, what tactic you want to use.  If you like your inside forwards/inverted wingers in a 4-2-3-1, the ME wasn't great for them - I believe they've patched it with this release, but I haven't played much since the last update.  There was a problem with possession - teams passing it around at the back to perfection - again might be patched.

The one that annoyed me the most with FM22 was the Dynamic Youth Rating.  Part of this was me assuming how it was going to work and that wasn't the case - but it was also bugged (again patched, but not sure anyone has tested as it needs someone to sim forward 20+ years).  It was the reason I bought FM22 - I won't be buying FM23.

But some people will love this version of the game - and you might.  It's like all games/films/TV shows - completely subjective.

33 minutes ago, duesouth said:

It would depend on how you play and ME wise, what tactic you want to use.  If you like your inside forwards/inverted wingers in a 4-2-3-1, the ME wasn't great for them - I believe they've patched it with this release, but I haven't played much since the last update.  There was a problem with possession - teams passing it around at the back to perfection - again might be patched.

The one that annoyed me the most with FM22 was the Dynamic Youth Rating.  Part of this was me assuming how it was going to work and that wasn't the case - but it was also bugged (again patched, but not sure anyone has tested as it needs someone to sim forward 20+ years).  It was the reason I bought FM22 - I won't be buying FM23.

But some people will love this version of the game - and you might.  It's like all games/films/TV shows - completely subjective.

When you have started playing FM?

47 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

When you have started playing FM?

I played CM03/04 for many years - only went to FM with FM19 and then every one since.

• FrazT locked this topic