Is this player a centreback or a wingback?

Some defenders seems to be halfway between the two.

- During contract negotiation his preferred playing position is centreback

- Media description is 'Centreback'

- The new signing press conference talked about him being a centreback

- Has trait Brings Ball Out of Defense

- Only 10 for Crossing, 8 for dribbling

However...

- My Quick Pick for the line-up puts him in the wingback role

- He has 3 1/2 stars for the wingback role and only 3 stars for the centreback role

- Has trait Does Not Dive Into Tackles. Isnt that dangerous for a centreback?

- And the *cough* list where I found him has him listed under position FBR

So which is he, and do I have the option to train him to become either one or the other?

I really need a pacey attacking LWB, could he become that?

FM1.png

Edited by 2feet

The stars are just a staff opinion, so they're useful but not definitive and not something you need to overly focus on. They're loose guide or general direction and half a star is largely inconsequential. 

Personally I would prefer to mould him to a DM firstly and full back secondly as I feel he's too short for what I want in a central defender. 

Looks like an attacking Wide Center-Back.

15 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Has trait Does Not Dive Into Tackles. Isnt that dangerous for a centreback?

I would say no. You don't want your center hard tackling everyone in the endzone, giving the opposition free penalties. Also, diving into tackles can lead to missing a tackle, and the opposition moves more freely onto goal while the CD tries to catch up. If they have good tackling skill, they should be able to dispossess the opposition without resorting to extreme measures. I usually prefer my centers to have "does not dive". Sometimes I'll put "dives" on a bwm or defensive winger, as it complements their given instructions, and it happens further up the field where it's not an issue.

22 minutes ago, 2feet said:

I really need a pacey attacking LWB, could he become that?

Well, he's right footed. He would make an excellent inverted winger. As for winger, you can give him the trait to use the outside of his right foot to perform crosses, but that's less than optimal.

I don't rate him as a centre half or a wing back at all, personally. Though I would love to use him in the DM strata, especially as my favoured tactic uses a half back, and he seems to fit that role perfectly.

With technique being more important for central defenders in the modern game than it used to be it's no surprise you see a lot of these in between CDs that are technically capable enough to play out wide. As for the media description and his own preferences, even if a player has multiple natural positions only 1 of those (afaik) will be at maximum familiarity and that is the position the media will refer to.

Personally, I wouldn't use him as a CD in FM due to the lack of height (unfortunately, as his technical ability and "brings ball out of defence" would be great on a CD). Considering he's young and has potential he can definitely develop towards becoming a solid attacking back, just shove him in the attacking training unit to make sure his training focus is on the attacking side of the game. Alternatively, as stated before, he definitely makes for a great defensive DM/CM as well.

Too short for a CB, poor crossing and dribbling for a wingback. I’d use him as a right fullback on support and continue looking for an offensive LWB. 

Alternatively, he can be a DM or a wide centre-back if you’re playing with a back 3 and the other two CBs are taller.

• SI Staff

What formation do you play? Personally I would only use him as a side CB in a back 3 . He seems very well suited to that but in a back 4 I personally would sell him the next chance you get, take you profit and buy specific players suited to your tactic! He's worth a decent amount of money.

1 hour ago, Jack Sarahs said:

What formation do you play? Personally I would only use him as a side CB in a back 3 . He seems very well suited to that but in a back 4 I personally would sell him the next chance you get, take you profit and buy specific players suited to your tactic! He's worth a decent amount of money.

I use an attacking formation and also have an alternative version on Positive that uses short passing and slower tempo.

My apologies, my plan was to use him as a RIGHT (not left) wingback on support.

In the past when Ive tried to use players in positions different to their media descriptions Ive experienced difficulties because they never seem 100% reliable in the alternative position, and are prone to mistakes and poor performances, especially when played regularly.

I hadn't considered the DM role, that seems a good idea... except the media description problem again, he’ll never be 100% comfortable there.

If I trained him to improve strength, his jumping might go up a couple of points to say 14... that could be enough?

024E4BFB-5767-46BB-BD25-46AD0ED311C5.jpeg

Edited by 2feet

• SI Staff

If that's your team and tactic I would flip your BPD to RCB and play him instead of Ream personally. I still would prefer to sell for a huge profit after that in the next window, but he should do well there. Are you still in the Championship? He could play WB although his lack of dribbling concerns me but everyone plays the game differently. 

• 2 weeks later...