FM23 Headline Features Revealed

4 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

People have an idea e.g. Player tutoring would be good to add. I point what impact that would have if you have a handful of days together. Its not going to develop a player trait or personality so what?

Or player partnerships - mentioned how there are only a limited number of days together and limited number of tournaments for a player so how do you develop that ?

What do you do in-between international breaks.

Im asking questions - going down to understand impact and experience. 

There have been people who said there should be a system to spend the salary you earn as a manager somehow- people come up with ideas but when it comes to the reality, they're not great

I dont think you understand what people are saying. You picked random examples, and another ridiculous example that has nothing to do with international football to prove your point. Just like in real life, players spend limited amount of time together, so impact wont be the same as in club football. But thats exactly the point. Everything should be limited in international football. But something should be there.

Why do you need to do anything in between international breaks? You can scout and interact with players. Just like real life managers. I really dont get your point there

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

of course I am. Do you expect me to have interviewed every FM customer to get their view?

Ok take training for example - you have your squad with you for about month in non competition years. IN that month you have games as well. What are you going to do in training? International football is less about training in real life. You're not developing players, it simple getting a basic tactical system in place and getting ready for the opposition so what really do you think training is gonna provide to you? 

You're literally just going to be choosing a tactic and training that. 

Im really just trying to point out that these ideas people have sound good but really think how it plays in game in such a small time frame. 

You are developing players though...It start at the youth team level and building a national pool. Before every International match up there is a training camp. Yes you won't run training like you would at Manchester U but you also dont run the same training as a semi Pro club either so I dont get your point here., Those training sessions are moreso about cohesion at senior level but at youth level there are more camps and most likely the training facilities at national team level are going to be better than club unless the player is already at the top flight. Not to mention mentorship of those youth players. mentorship dont stop once games or camp is over. It would most likely break if you take the player off of the national team which adds strategy on call ups.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

2 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I bought the game every year as a supporter hoping things that I enjoy would be improved. Yes, I enjoy the game for what it is but that doesn't mean I don't care about any other areas. For example most of my bug reporting here is for MLS but I never actually started a long term save in that league, mainly because its been faulty every year.  Most of my testing is with MLS. Its ultimately the league I want to play and buy the game for along with International Management.

Yes but you dont come back for international management. Its the other bits that hook you. 

Genuinely think about what would be enjoyable about international football 

• Cant develop players
  • Hindered squad building as you can only bring in national players 
  • You have players for 6 weeks in a non-competition year. So in-between  games what are you expecting to train and develop 
  • no transfers or scouting 
  • no budget management 
  • play a handful of games 
  • Simulating in-between breaks 

I get you want investment in it but people complain that the current headline features are not great features but guarantee you if they did one on International football people would complain at how boring it is.

3 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Yes but you dont come back for international management. Its the other bits that hook you. 

• Cant develop players
  • You have players for 6 weeks in a non-competition year. So in-between  games what are you expecting to train and develop 
  • no budget management 

I get you want investment in it but people complain that the current headline features are not great features but guarantee you if they did one on International football people would complain at how boring it is.

No, I watched the video hoping for improvements to International manager along with other things like Match engine and AI. I promise you that manager history dynamic or whatever its call is not the reason I will be buying FM.

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

• Cant develop players
  • no budget management 

The biggest complaint last year was about dynamic youth rating and building a nation. That right there should tell you how many people think International manager is "boring". Its boring because its the same since 2010.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

4 minutes ago, Cro-cop said:

I dont think you understand what people are saying. You picked random examples, and another ridiculous example that has nothing to do with international football to prove your point. Just like in real life, players spend limited amount of time together, so impact wont be the same as in club football. But thats exactly the point. Everything should be limited in international football. But something should be there.

Why do you need to do anything in between international breaks? You can scout and interact with players. Just like real life managers. I really dont get your point there

Do you want to explain the examples I used above which was from somebody on here? 

My "ridiculous" example I use as a point out that people come up with ideas which they think are good, but reality are terrible. Hence why it was at the end. Dont try and twist it.

"everything should be limited in international football" - so make a barebones experience barebones. All the interesting bits dont work in such a sporadic game mode

"Interact with players".... that sounds fun. Bit like going to a loan player they need to try harder or good work. You enjoy doing that to all 30+ potential players. 

Scouting - in reality you're not scouting. You're picking the best players which are all known in your nations pool. Sure there maybe some wonderkid you can bring through but you're not really scouting like in the core game. 

So international break is over so you simulate for a couple of weeks. Talk to your players, "scout' (whatever the hell that really means) - no training, no games to play, no transfers to think about so you simulate to the next break or point where you need ti pick your squad.

yawn 

People saying they want a revamp for international teams, I’m interested to hear what could be added apart from resting players during tournaments and control over training. Would this be a ‘headline feature’ if it was just these things added? It feels like people are jumping on the bandwagon a bit about the need for this to be ‘revamped’. Updates would be great and maybe they’re coming and just not been announced yet.

Do set pieces need an update? Yeah it’d be nice to see some UI changes but would it be classed as a ‘headline feature’ if so? Maybe/maybe not. SI again may have made changes here and not announced it yet. 

I love the new screens for the UEFA competitions, they look fantastic. Keen to try out the new recruitment stuff as well and see the updates for the ME. 

1 minute ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

The biggest complaint last year was about dynamic youth rating and building a nation. That right there should tell you how many people think International manager is boring. Its boring because its the same since 2010.

Dont think that was the BIGGEST but certainly a big issue. 

And how does that tell you people think IM is boring? the issue seems that the system for dynamic youth rating was broken.

5 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

• Cant develop players
  • no budget management 

If i can jump in your conversation with Mars. I doubt anybody buys the game for international football, so based on that nothing should be done about it? Nobody bought the game for press conferences, dynamics, staff meetings etc but its still in the game and people are playing it. You dont make good points at all

And also non of us can guarantee anything, nor we can talk for other people. But if i could, i would guarantee that nobody would have a problem with improved internationals and i would guarantee that more people would start playing it

7 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

No, I watched the video hoping for improvements to International manager along with other things like Match engine and AI. I promise you that manager history dynamic or whatever its call is not the reason I will be buying FM.

But you both the last 10 for reasons that weren't international management. 

Forget manager history. You care for the transfer, youth development, building a club, managing a budget and playing lots of games. All of which isn't international management 

Really hope other cup competitions have got the big game treatment, appreciate they won't have licenses for the FA Cup, but they can just use the fake graphics and of course, allow us to upload our own :)

All in all though, it looks good and this comes from a jaded FM player tbh with you. Really think there needs to be less options not more for Tactics, but what I hope is there - that I suspect isn't - is things turning off by default if one of your other instructions conflicts. i.e. You specify a low attacking line but you're playing a poacher.

You specify a low defensive line with offside trap but then you're asking them to close down to the max. Wouldn't make sense and would create a conflict.

Also, need proper concrete help on the affects of all the tactics and how it can affect condition

This whole notion to make the game less clicky is admirable but put it where it's really needed. Managers have always like to spend hours looking for players and not asking the scout to find them. However Training is a whole nother story. Absolute ball breaker and so make that simply. get rid of all the guff and just have a few buttons 'focus on next opponent' 'pre season fitness' etc.

Edited by Steve1977beyond

6 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Do you want to explain the examples I used above which was from somebody on here? 

My "ridiculous" example I use as a point out that people come up with ideas which they think are good, but reality are terrible. Hence why it was at the end. Dont try and twist it.

"everything should be limited in international football" - so make a barebones experience barebones. All the interesting bits dont work in such a sporadic game mode

"Interact with players".... that sounds fun. Bit like going to a loan player they need to try harder or good work. You enjoy doing that to all 30+ potential players. 

Scouting - in reality you're not scouting. You're picking the best players which are all known in your nations pool. Sure there maybe some wonderkid you can bring through but you're not really scouting like in the core game. 

So international break is over so you simulate for a couple of weeks. Talk to your players, "scout' (whatever the hell that really means) - no training, no games to play, no transfers to think about so you simulate to the next break or point where you need ti pick your squad.

yawn 

Just because things are boring for you doesnt mean other people wouldnt like it in the game. But it seems that you decided to talk for everyone tonight.

I understand where you are coming from but i just think you dont understand that other people would like to play a game a bit differently sometimes.

I spent too much time arguing a point i actually dont care that much about so i will stop the discussion here

2 minutes ago, Cro-cop said:

If i can jump in your conversation with Mars. I doubt anybody buys the game for international football, so based on that nothing should be done about it? Nobody bought the game for press conferences, dynamics, staff meetings etc but its still in the game and people are playing it. You dont make good points at all

And also non of us can guarantee anything, nor we can talk for other people. But if i could, i would guarantee that nobody would have a problem with improved internationals and i would guarantee that more people would start playing it

If you read my arguments, im saying that the ideas people have dont work in a truncated International management season. it simply does not work.

I told mars he plays the game because of transfers, building clubs from the bottom to the top, youth development, managing budgets which are all not in international management. You can enjoy if but its not why the vast majority of people play football manager for the simple fact above. It barebones in real life.

And if you are gonna read my previous comments, make sure you read the bits where I say im all for better international management but people have ideas which I have said time and time again, unless its taken outside of the core game, it won't work. (i.e. you cant manage Newcastle > England > Madrid. Needs to be self contained with its own launcher on the start menu) 

1 minute ago, Cro-cop said:

Just because things are boring for you doesnt mean other people wouldnt like it in the game. But it seems that you decided to talk for everyone tonight.

I understand where you are coming from but i just think you dont understand that other people would like to play a game a bit differently sometimes.

I spent too much time arguing a point i actually dont care that much about so i will stop the discussion here

Ive asked questions to peoples ideas - no one really has come back with an answer. 

Really ask yourself how would you improve and implement them in such a small window and how it is fun. If you can actually think on that level you will understand my point 

24 minutes ago, QWERTYOP said:

Pleasantly surprised by the negative reactions. Here to a degree - even more so on YouTube. I started saying the game had stagnated before most. At that point, I was shouted down by the vast majority. Slowly but surely, more of the fanbase are waking up. This headline features video is a joke. Even by recent years low standards. 40 minutes of absolute guff, and a hope that we’ll all be dazzled by their CL license. They’ve been giving us the same game for years now, and it won’t change until the fanbase changes their habits. Stop giving them your money without thinking every year if you think they don’t deserve it! The only other thing I can see shaking them out of this complacency is competition. One or the other desperately needs to happen, or they’ll just keep taking us for mugs every year. 

Agree. Arguably the worst Headline Features from the franchise ever.

Every year there was at least something to be enthusiast about. But this year it's just... pathetic.

FM22 was the best version for me and it was worth buying it. I know it's is difficult to top last version,but FM23 major features can't be nothing but a bad joke for every follower of the franchise.

I can't believe it. 

Let's see what they have for the quality of life features.

35 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Dont think that was the BIGGEST but certainly a big issue. 

And how does that tell you people think IM is boring? the issue seems that the system for dynamic youth rating was broken.

people played International management enough to realize it was "broken" which is was not but working as intended because there is no way to improve the infrastructure of a nation which could be a added feature in International Management was revamped.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Hopefully they managed to add a bit of depth to ME, so we can have more success with defensive style of football.

What i like about new fm is uefa competitions theme, and if its true about the cl sound, it will make a big difference to cl matches.

18 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

But you both the last 10 for reasons that weren't international management. 

Forget manager history. You care for the transfer, youth development, building a club, managing a budget and playing lots of games. All of which isn't international management 

lol I find it hilarious that you continuely telling me how I play the game. Fun fact is that I delegate transfers and scouting. Now please go ahead and tell me how Im playing the game wrong and boring.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Just now, Mars_Blackmon said:

lol I find it hilarious that you continuely telling me how I play the game. Fun fact is that I delegate transfers and scouting.

at a minimum like managing games which you would have a handful in international games each year. 

Make it make sense ....

26 minutes ago, Mike_G25 said:

People saying they want a revamp for international teams, I’m interested to hear what could be added apart from resting players during tournaments and control over training. Would this be a ‘headline feature’ if it was just these things added? It feels like people are jumping on the bandwagon a bit about the need for this to be ‘revamped’. Updates would be great and maybe they’re coming and just not been announced yet.

Do set pieces need an update? Yeah it’d be nice to see some UI changes but would it be classed as a ‘headline feature’ if so? Maybe/maybe not. SI again may have made changes here and not announced it yet. 

I love the new screens for the UEFA competitions, they look fantastic. Keen to try out the new recruitment stuff as well and see the updates for the ME. 

1 hour ago, grade said:

but every iphone or smartphone today films in 4k, heck, every budget pocket camera films in FULL HD nowadays

Full HD is 1080, not 4k.

Not everyone can afford a fancy new phone.

Lots of people play FM on old laptops so they have to cater to that audience.

Although new features are welcomed are we now getting to imursed in the game that now its becoming a nightmare rather than a joy . I get that people want the whole experience but also people dont want to be bogged down in endless decision making . Yes we can delegate but that also seems to take a lot to get organised . The time playing 10 years of football in FM 6 years ago is almost equivilant of now playing one season . Always welcome the new match engine changes and movements of players but again we seem to be stuck with the same old stadiums when we have been crying out for some sort of stadium editor . Lower league club stadiums especially need an overhaul . 

I'm quite content playing FM22. Only things I can think of that would have made a big enough impression to jump on FM23 would have been an international revamp or improved match graphics. The features revealed are ok but not inspiring and there's nothing there that's really grabbing my attention to drop my current save. I'll probably pick it up on sale at some point next year.

I'm really excited about the Recruitment revamp and supporter confidence features and I'm hoping the AI/Match engine changes especially around managers and defensive play mean that certain IRL successful managers like Pep and Mourinho perform better in-game than they have done in past editions. I'm glad I pre-ordered it. I would have liked to have seen some changes to International manager-ship, but I'd just be happy with small changes that may be yet to be announced.

While browsing this thread 

I’m a bit surprised by some reactions around 

I mean what were you expecting guys ?

People want more incredible features, ok, but football is still football, what can we invent ?

For my taste, I don’t like to have 10000 clicks which are just for cosmetics/minor tweaks purposes

If one wants to deal by himself all the areas of his club, without any help of the staff, you already have a lot to do

Some people complaining about graphics ?

I reckon it would be nicer but come on it’s absolutely not the core of that game, and I’m sure that it will logically evolve in the upcoming years 

I truly prefer to get a nice processing game speed rather than fifa graphics for example 

I’m more interested in a solid ME and transfers/contracts interactions which are the main reasons why, I think, we like to play this game for decades 

Then for all the cosmetics stuff this years, at least they tried to do something, the fans profile when you take over a club is a nice addition Imo, not game changer, but still, it’s interesting when you’re in charge of a team you don’t know IRL

Same for the licensing, not game changer for me, as most of us were already using dedicated files, but still, it’s something and I’m sure they’ll get more officials licenses in the upcoming years 

I just wish, youth wise, it has been tweaked from last version and international management, that I personally not fancy, would have needed something more

Regen faces are still weird, but anyway, not game breaker at all for my taste

Lets see how it will be during beta before criticize everything 

9 minutes ago, nico_france said:

While browsing this thread 

I’m a bit surprised by some reactions around 

I mean what were you expecting guys ?

People want more incredible features, ok, but football is still football, what can we invent ?

For my taste, I don’t like to have 10000 clicks which are just for cosmetics/minor tweaks purposes

If one wants to deal by himself all the areas of his club, without any help of the staff, you already have a lot to do

Some people complaining about graphics ?

I reckon it would be nicer but come on it’s absolutely not the core of that game, and I’m sure that it will logically evolve in the upcoming years 

I truly prefer to get a nice processing game speed rather than fifa graphics for example 

I’m more interested in a solid ME and transfers/contracts interactions which are the main reasons why, I think, we like to play this game for decades 

Then for all the cosmetics stuff this years, at least they tried to do something, the fans profile when you take over a club is a nice addition Imo, not game changer, but still, it’s interesting when you’re in charge of a team you don’t know IRL

Same for the licensing, not game changer for me, as most of us were already using dedicated files, but still, it’s something and I’m sure they’ll get more officials licenses in the upcoming years 

I just wish, youth wise, it has been tweaked from last version and international management, that I personally not fancy, would have needed something more

Regen faces are still weird, but anyway, not game breaker at all for my taste

Lets see how it will be during beta before criticize everything 

I agree this 100%. Also I got a feeling people didn't quite understand how big thing AI manager and deep defending feature really is. If it's as good as it sounds like it really open whole new side of the ball to the FM. No more just press high and profit, no more plug and play tactics because you need several "plug  tactics" ( :D) to use while playing more intelligent reactive AI manager. I would be disappointed if this FM would not be the hardest FM we have seen yet.

Edited by Pasonen

12 minutes ago, Čmaršž said:

New Champions league format is implemented?

Since it is confirmed by UEFA, I assume it is in, especially now that the CL is licenced as well.

I’m hoping player/manager interaction has been improved especially now they’ve added supporter confidence. It was way too easy to upset players. There needs to be more depth to the answers. If a player isn’t getting games and his teammates call a meeting to ask why then the manager should be able to explain without them getting angry. Press conferences also need overhauling. 

Recruitment revamp is a good thing for most, I usually play youth only, so it's not as important for me. What I do hope is that this (or rather a version of it) is used by the AI managers to improve squad building. Yes, I've been on about it for a while now, but I hope this also impacts AI transfer logic. If so, I'm happy. Squad planner is nice and something I will use, but perhaps not fully as intended due to my lack of transfers in. It will be a more easy way to spot how well my team is stocked with up and coming talents when I get bids for my players. Agents are a part of football, even if I think they are more likely to have a bad influence than a good one, so a reasonable addition.

Match AI and animations are always welcome. What Nic said about goalkeeper animations is something I look forward to, due to some rather unnatural movements from them earlier. Also, the short clips in the video looked more flowing that FM22. The graphics seems mostly the same, but the flow underneath looks promising. Going to be fun to experiment with low blocks and counters this time.

All licences are very welcome, even if I might not see any of the CL stuff the first months after release as I'm stuck down in a lower league somewhere. :D

Supporter confidence is a double edged sword for me. I'd love to see it more involved in the game, but I don't really want social media in there. It's a cesspit in real life, and either a realistic or a "happy place" would both be bad in the game for me. If done right it could be good, but I'm ambivalent so far, at least until I see how i works in a bit more detail.

Dynamic manager timeline is a bit unknown to me how will work yet, but if it can be viewed as a "this was your career" when going back to older saves, or a summary when you feel done with it, it could be a nice addition. Not quite sure what to expect from this feature until I see more.

As usual, the headline features are not the ones I look most forward to. The drips from Miles in the coming weeks usually cater more to my tastes. DYR last season was a drip from Miles, and not something that was advertised a lot (contrary to what some seem to believe), and even though I didn't do what I had hoped, those types of features or changes are more what I look forward to each version. So I'll be watching that space!

The scouting changes concern me a little - hopefully they'll mean scouting is more targeted and successful in finding the players you really need.  However, I'm concerned it's another increase in 'interaction' mode actions, which are always click heavy, tedious and get very old, very quickly (team meetings anyone).  Another step in the slow decline of FOOTBALL manager into football MANAGER.

The changes around presentation related to the UEFA licence should be enjoyable - I was a fan of the Bundesliga specific graphics in FM22.

Edited by rp1966

Based on these reveal features I suspect I'll skip this version(although I always skip a year anyway so nothing to do with this release really).

Haven't suggested targets as shown in the 'new' squad planner always been in the game somewhere? I seem to remember it was in the hierarchy tab at one point and something like FM14 had it as well.

Old wine new bottle so far

I'll buy it and I'll play it but those headline features, to be perfectly honest, are so peripheral to the core of the game that I can't really take it as anything more than a patch. You rename some stuff it TC and pretend it's some big change. Really? Scouting center changes I believe are just minor UI tweaks, looks different but essentially it's just same stuff as before.

Squad planner is nice, but is it something groundbreaking? I don't think it is. I already knew that player X with 4 stars would be the best forward in my team when the best forward I've got is 3 stars. I didn't need the squad planner to realize that. As I said, nice but hardly deserving to be a headline feature.

The licenses, supporter confidence, manager rating or whatever..cool but so unimportant to the game, to call it a headline feature is almost laughable.

The only thing that I actually believe could be great is low block defending and AI acting as real life managers would, but I will reserve my doubts about it since last year they were all full of bragging how gegenpressing won't work bla bla..and then you coul play gegenpressing with a non league team the whole season for 90 minutes straight and would work without any problems so....we'll see about that.

Quite dissapointing video I have to say.

9 hours ago, QWERTYOP said:

they’ll just keep taking us for mugs every year. 

The energy companies and the Tories are taking us for mugs.

FM provides hours upon hours of distraction/immersion/fun every year at a bargain price point.

There is a lot of missing perspective in this thread. I'd like to say I'm shocked, but the Internet is truly a cesspool at times.

On topic - new features look good to me

11 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Genuine question, whats appealing about international football? 

• Scout players by watching them 
  • Choose Squad 
  • Hardly train them 
  • play 6 games a year and then tournaments 

There really isn't much to add unless you want to go so deep and have impact on development of youth players and bring out a style of play for the national team (e.g. have an impact which makes England develop more technical players). If that a the case the amount of resources to develop that would be a detriment to the core game and I dont think the majority of players want to do that. 

I had mentioned a whole host of improvements they could and ideally should make to international football here:

Its a World Cup year and seems like once again they have ignored international entirely... Lord knows when they will get to it

10 hours ago, QWERTYOP said:

Pleasantly surprised by the negative reactions. Here to a degree - even more so on YouTube. I started saying the game had stagnated before most. At that point, I was shouted down by the vast majority. Slowly but surely, more of the fanbase are waking up. This headline features video is a joke. Even by recent years low standards. 40 minutes of absolute guff, and a hope that we’ll all be dazzled by their CL license. They’ve been giving us the same game for years now, and it won’t change until the fanbase changes their habits. Stop giving them your money without thinking every year if you think they don’t deserve it! The only other thing I can see shaking them out of this complacency is competition. One or the other desperately needs to happen, or they’ll just keep taking us for mugs every year. 

Best post in the thread, kudos mate.

I will point out something that most may have missed. SI are likely focusing on adding Womens Football for ( likely guessing)  FM24. To them it is an important feature and honestly, it will be the biggest feature for many years. They have put a lot of stuff on the backburner to focus on it so I kinda expected this FM to be...lacking.

Licences n music...not really fussed about it. Will skim through if I qualify that far. ( i like tinpot leagues)

Dynamic Manager Timeline...something I will skim through every season.

Supporter Confidence: i'm slightly interested by it? but thats about all.

Recruitment 'Revamp': This does nothing for the club i play with every year because i can't keep 80% players for multiple seasons ( Cardiff Met Uni) but it just seems like a UI update for scouting assignments n thats all.

Honestly this feels like they putting all their eggs in 1 future basket. I wanna see less UI and superficial changes and more focus on FIXING things that the community point out to them that have been left for far too long. When the community makes fixes and updates to things better than you...it's kinda time to get them involved in the process of making the game.