[FM23] Age of Empires

_Ben_

2 horas atrás, _Ben_ disse:

I still haven't quite fixed this but I must thank you again for bringing it to my attention. Here are the top six, no spoilers for who is where, but we are certainly anomalous in that regard:

097d40bc078058f2eb5406ad403fc80d.png

I had noticed that on my team, and I was curious if you were having the same issue. I "reduced" the aggressiveness of the roles (two attacking roles became supporting). It worked on the 2 games I tried and feel my team is more balanced. I'm waiting on a few more matches to see the development. I should say my problem wasn't just team-wise, there was also a focus on a specific position I was dealing with: my LB was WB-A and LCM was a MEZ-S, so my LCB couldn't find anyone nearby and he just hoofed balls. I set a goal to reach 500 completed passes on 85%, which seems a bit low when compared to that top-4, but I'm on a third tier, so I don't think I have the quality (nor the need) to have that much possession.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lfds89 said:

I had noticed that on my team, and I was curious if you were having the same issue. I "reduced" the aggressiveness of the roles (two attacking roles became supporting). It worked on the 2 games I tried and feel my team is more balanced. I'm waiting on a few more matches to see the development. I should say my problem wasn't just team-wise, there was also a focus on a specific position I was dealing with: my LB was WB-A and LCM was a MEZ-S, so my LCB couldn't find anyone nearby and he just hoofed balls. I set a goal to reach 500 completed passes on 85%, which seems a bit low when compared to that top-4, but I'm on a third tier, so I don't think I have the quality (nor the need) to have that much possession.

But, you see, I don't really care for possession. My two main team metrics are here:

ebeb78879e1303a8bde972e1614def2b.png

You can see that we have created the same number of chances as Roma but with pretty much half the amount of passes - something like a chance every 120 passes compared to their 240 passes: that is efficient football and that is what I want to achieve. But, with giving the ball away, I don't want us to become weak defensively and crack under the pressure, which, as you can see, we are not doing.

So your comment to me did not actually make me want to increase the amount of passes, but the quality of them.

3 minutos atrás, _Ben_ disse:

So your comment to me did not actually make me want to increase the amount of passes, but the quality of them.

Sure. But eventually one leads to the other.

The efficiency in football is quite tricky and I would say it's even trickier in FM. 

12 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I still haven't quite fixed this but I must thank you again for bringing it to my attention. Here are the top six, no spoilers for who is where, but we are certainly anomalous in that regard:

097d40bc078058f2eb5406ad403fc80d.png

Is 7001 the completed passes for 20 games?

443 passes per game divides into how many sequences for your Atalanta team? How many of these ends in a shot on goal? It’s a fine edge you’re walking with your tactical approach. Investing in the changes you do each game is definitely paying off :thup:

13 hours ago, lfds89 said:

Sure. But eventually one leads to the other.

I don't actually think it does. However, that is the beauty of different managerial philosophies!

8 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

It’s a fine edge you’re walking with your tactical approach

True. But our numbers aren't worrying me at all.

11b974524d407001e1869a2610ea70f4.png

Yes, we do lose the ball more than the other teams in the top six but we also win it back more (we've made nearly 100 more interceptions than the team in second place and we have the best defence in the league so this is not of concern at all). Whilst we complete less passes and, naturally, less in the final third - it's in line with the other teams in terms of the percentage of the passes that we make there and it doesn't lead to less shots or even a lower quality shot at the end of it If anything, we're underperforming our xG totals and could have scored even more.

1 hour ago, rich ruzzian said:

Wauw, Gavi is a steal for that deal you made with Barca. 

I hope so! He's not got started yet due to the injury but I know that there is a player in there who can help unlock defences.

7 horas atrás, _Ben_ disse:

I don't actually think it does. However, that is the beauty of different managerial philosophies!

True. But our numbers aren't worrying me at all.

11b974524d407001e1869a2610ea70f4.png

Yes, we do lose the ball more than the other teams in the top six but we also win it back more (we've made nearly 100 more interceptions than the team in second place and we have the best defence in the league so this is not of concern at all). Whilst we complete less passes and, naturally, less in the final third - it's in line with the other teams in terms of the percentage of the passes that we make there and it doesn't lead to less shots or even a lower quality shot at the end of it If anything, we're underperforming our xG totals and could have scored even more.

Had to check my team numbers to have a comparison and it's wonderful how some numbers are so similar despite our different philosophies:

Team Poss Won Poss Lost Poss +/- Passes Final Third % Pass in Final Third Dribbles Chances Shots xG Shot xG Goals Goals-xG
Sertanense 131 135 -4,7 461 55 12% 10,64 4,18 15,73 1,70 0,108 1,73 0,03

February 2030

Serie A: Brescia vs Atalanta.

7d76d341ef18c08ad0b1a58a1e0a3b40.png

The pre-match report was a reminder that Brescia are the out-of-form team in the league at the moment although will be hard to break down, given their demand for the ball and passing lanes that recycle between the back four. I named a strong line up. However, I got this one wrong. Zenga, even as the CF(a), relies heavily on space and getting in behind but he was unable to do this - even after an early alteration that put us to Cautious mentality, in the hope that we could pull them out and find those spaces. You can see from our heat map that we often ended with a 3-7 shape as we, essentially, got a taste of our own medicine in terms of building that really resilient block.

Points dropped but we learn.

--

Serie A: Atalanta vs Genoa.

cc8565bc54ece4341646879b7a61f0e6.png

The pre-match report told me that Genoa are a team in form, unbeaten in six and fresh off a cup win over Milan and a 3-0 demolition of Napoli. Our line up some unfit players but the game plan was made so much easier due to a red card in the second minute that saw forward Boye sacrificed for a replacement left back and change what Genoa wanted. Camello got on the end of a cross early on and, from there, we just stopped them doing anything dangerous. Not the most glamorous of attacking showings but we did enough.

---

Coppa Italia Quarter Final: Atalanta vs SPAL.

e6aa4a93d2b21d2416fbfd32d2a45252.png

Good progress from the squad players to see us through to a semi final against Torino. 

However, post match, I learnt of a season ending injury for first choice keeper Carnesecchi, meaning that youngster Ferraroli would be keeping his place for longer.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Torino.

64eb99a38f5d481c080700580ca4a38e.png

My three hundredth game as manager was a good one!

Zenga scored twice, finishing from a Lanzo cut back, before Fusari nodded in from a Carvalho corner. Once again, we have kept them at arm's length and stopped them from progressing much. Amey, in particular, was strong at right back as they built down their left with, at times, an excessive aggressive AM, who Bogarde marshalled well.

---

With us nearing the end of February, the early stages of planning are very much starting with me thinking about how I want to develop this team. At Sassuolo, this was a really weak area and I got to summer with no indicators around new targets and areas that needed to be developed. The only difference here is that my squad, on the whole, is much younger and, as such, will require much less work to put my spin on it a bit more.

Keep within the first team:

34c552e838e65692f62a659ae1c6c6aa.png

In doing this, I was made aware of Carnesecchi's contract, so triggered a one year extension on that but, aside from Speranza - a youth graduate with a complex past - we're ok in terms of expiring deals. Leonardo is a Uruguayan and holds no Italian passport so, as such, takes up a non-EU slot at the club. I tried to sell him in January to free up a slot here but there was no interest and, should I then sell him in the summer, it'll have no impact on the number of non-EU players I can register next season, unfortunately. He's developing ok but isn't quite the type of player I'm after as an IWB(s) on the right hand side. Elsewhere, everyone on this list is performing well, has just signed (Gavi), or is developing really well. I would like to give more opportunities to Ferrigno as both Lanzo and Zenga have done really well this season coming into the first team but the Fusari - Okoli partnership is strong.

This time next year, I may be asking questions about Sottil, who could find chances more limited if Gavi kicks on but I think that the rest of these players are here for the foreseeable, or, more likely, as long as I can keep them here and happy.

Potential to move into the first team:

81009478432ed78f2737ef58972073ab.png

These are here because of the commitment I have to developing youngsters but, to be honest, none of the four are ready and three of them are on loan at Serie C clubs and haven't been tested at higher levels, even if the staff believe that they are good enough to be. I do like Luca De Zerbi and he could fill the role as a central runner, but, currently, is not secure as a CM and that will take him longer to achieve, too. Scopece has a glaring weakness in his first touch, which is a shame as he appears to have good potential but - probably - can't be repurposed elsewhere. 

It's a shame that we are unlikely to add to the seven academy players within my first team squad for next year.

Potential to be moved on:

9b725e686eceb59a19fa0cc61a3ae89b.png

Some really difficult decisions to make here.

Firstly, Carboni's is actually easy: he signed a pre-contract with Lazio as I was not prepared to offer over €100k p/w within weeks of him joining and, as such, not showing me the ability he might have. Next is Thiago Almada, the man on loan from Villa. His output isn't bad but Villa aren't even willing to talk regarding a deal for him and his €130k p/w wages will be a step above what I can, and want to, offer anyway. I probably haven't given him the fairest of deals: he started on the right wing but then moved to be the more creative forward and has now found himself as an option for Carvalho off the bench too, which means his minutes and instructions have been sporadic - surely not beneficial to him. At left back, I'm still questioning both first team players. Maehle's deal is up at the end of the season and his demands of over €80k p/w are wholly unreasonable for a 32-year old rotational player, however interesting he is as a wrong footed complete wing back. I'm also not even sold on Pellegrini and, should the right player be available, could probably shunt him down to a rotational player, knowing that him kicking up a fuss and, consequently, me selling him, wouldn't be the end of the world. In the DM role, Torreira has just extended his deal in order to reduce his take home wage, which is fine as a backup option. However, he's not quite the player I want, but, then again, nor is Bogarde. He's certainly more a stay at home full back and doesn't quite fit - physicality aside - in this role. He is also in his peak and attracting a lot of interest, so, whilst he's certainly good - but has been usurped by the impressive Amey at right back - could bring in money that can be reinvested elsewhere. In the midfielder, Moleiro has made constant noises about wanting a new deal, upwards of €150k p/w. Sadly, for a rotational player, now sat behind Gavi or Carvalho in the two roles he can play, this is simply stupid. He's a good player and I've been impressed with him but, should the concerns be made public again, I think I'll be far less considerate towards him. Up top, I'm a bit disappointed that I've not allowed Costa more minutes so I may be tempted to find a loan deal for him, although that does depend on whether Camello - already seeking options at the end of his contract - stays or I cash in on him a year early.

Therefore, the shopping list, in order of importance, feels like:

• Defensive midfielder (either to be backup for Bogarde and replace him in the long term or to replace Bogarde immediately)
  • Left Back (either to develop into a player who can overtake Pellegrini or a player to replace him immediately)
  • Right winger (to provide good competition for Lanzo)
  • Forward (to provide good competition for Lanzo if Camello moves on)

---

Serie A: Roma vs Atalanta.

54fd5fd48dc3dd2bcb469f03db700106.png

First vs third.

We're getting really, really close to being able to compete with the best at this level and I think we're just a few tweaks and maybe a few players away from being able to do so. I don't really ever see myself as a manager who will ignore the threats of good teams and hope that my own team can overcome them - and, in this case, that does mean we tend to be quite defensive, especially away at the big teams. I shifted Pellegrini to a WB(s) and went to Cautious - in the hope that I can could draw a misplaced pass from Roma and launch a deadly counter. In the end, most of the game was played within the middle third, with a handful of low quality chances. Their goal was annoying - we cleared our lines from a corner initially but was slightly slow  at closing down Di Caro, on the edge of the area, who was then able to drive towards the six yard box and finish part Ferraroli, who'd done well until then.

---

2c6864a05865987e63dfe52e957fea7d.png

We're probably about even now. Our run of form has been great but I wouldn't consider us, in the long run, stronger than either Juve or Inter. Plus, looking at the much bigger picture in the save and my career - a shot in the Europa League, for me, would provide the perfect and, hopefully achievable, shot at European silverware in the short term. Napoli's poor season continues but they are, surely, too good to be relegated under the stewardship of Andre Villas Boas. My old club Sassuolo seem to be fading a little, plagued by their lack of scoring, which was also an issue last time out whilst Udinese and Lecce are still showing that they are better than the likes of Lazio and Fiorentina - which, particularly for the former, a new promoted side, is incredible.

The impressive Zenga moves to top of the mins/goal standings whilst Carvalho leads the assists. I'm hoping that the two of them can continue to link up and he'll get himself onto the top of the goalscoring charts, too. 

Next month is busy! Winnable ties with the visit of Lecce and the re-arranged trip to Milan looking to be the most difficult.

503d9c7d8e2119f46238a83cddae49c5.png

Forza La Dea!

So much to catch on!  Shame the Sassuolo gig was so short lived, but definitely the right move in terms of career trajectory.  It's also nice seeing you in a (relative) position to sign players with an established reputation alongside your development process.  Really keen to see how it unfolds over the summer, as it looks like it might be quite the revolution.

Hopefully the next few games can help put a bit more space between you and Lecce & Udinese and put you in a strong position for a UCL place.  Something that looked like it might be beyond your reaches in the earlier part of the season.

Sitting very nicely in the table, and with a little bit more luck, could have had a few more points looking at your GF/GD!

Tough timeframe of games coming up, with squad depth to be tested. Good luck with your run in :thup:

10 hours ago, GIMN said:

So much to catch on!  Shame the Sassuolo gig was so short lived, but definitely the right move in terms of career trajectory.  It's also nice seeing you in a (relative) position to sign players with an established reputation alongside your development process

Thanks! I do think that the Sassuolo job, in terms of the long term chances, was somewhat of an impossible task. I look now, nearly a year on from me leaving and the same core of the squad is still there and, of course, getting no younger:

5657617bb8226e15dce65b066ee3cfcc.png

They'll lose nearly all of this team by next summer and I just didn't feel that they were in the right place to replace them: part of that is from my own failings within the recruitment process but also part of that is down to the reputation and finances that they have. Realistically, for me to have gained proper success there, I'd have had to fluked a European spot and used the money very wisely to build up over the course of three of four years before I could then start really thinking about a title challenge. I think that, despite the fact we don't have Europe and we are losing a fair bit of money a month, I have already completed step one with Atalanta and now we are within one or two years of that title challenge.

10 hours ago, GIMN said:

Really keen to see how it unfolds over the summer, as it looks like it might be quite the revolution.

I think it's certainly evolution over revolution as the core of the squad feels like a good fit for what I want to be doing. I'd love more youngsters to be working with developmentally, but that'll come. The summer could literally see just one new face for the departing Maehle and I'm just using the time now to narrow down what my scouts have found. I'm keeping it nice and broad, as you can see from two players I've just looked at:

d5743ac58cccb0f4866f4c0e66030269.png 383a70b30999cc464399560d2a5eee6b.png

Full profiles are linked into the thumbnails.

You can see that neither of these players are going to be immediate first team players but there is no way that I'll be able to sign a starting left back, at a Serie A level, for under their reported value unless I can get very lucky. But, even these deals would just be far beyond what I was able to afford at Sassuolo.

10 hours ago, GIMN said:

Hopefully the next few games can help put a bit more space between you and Lecce & Udinese and put you in a strong position for a UCL place.  Something that looked like it might be beyond your reaches in the earlier part of the season.

4 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Tough timeframe of games coming up, with squad depth to be tested. Good luck with your run in :thup:

I do feel that UCL will be a step too far. The squad is quite thin, which is fine now, but I feel will certainly hinder us with European football next year as well as the rigmarole of a tight end of season schedule. Europe, this season, was expected of me and I think that it's fair that I will achieve that in some guise.

March 2030

Serie A: Atalanta vs Parma.

930c98efc0a7d54c71e65de2f6a72246.png

We started slowly but grew into the game and, with just ten minutes left, I felt that we were about to drop two points as we just couldn't quite unlock their defence enough to create a high quality chance. For the most part, our play was attractive, and the 3-3-3-1 shape was in full force, with even that De Zerbi influence where Monea has his studs on the ball! I made changed the game on the seventy-minute mark, introducing Carboni - who, to be fair to him, is lacking match fitness because I've just stopped playing him now he's moving on. He got himself on the end of an Almada cross, knocking home his first for the club and giving us the win that, on the overall state of play, we deserved.

This result again confirms just how strong we are defensively: nobody has a greater xG differential than us as we have conceded 12 from our18.89xGA this season (spare a thought for Spezia who have conceded 58 from their 40.42xGA). This gives us the best defence in Europe and I'm really glad that I've persisted with this style of creating a false back three to make us stronger in our initial transitional play.

I'll leave this with a tweet from Alessia Lami, who, quite frankly, has bemused me:

3e207c76b202b47d24cd00e371d4f772.png

---

Coppa Italia Semi Final First Leg: Atalanta vs Torino.

b5c5e35a00b3529457d0271b3c8a1c4e.png

We have put ourselves in a very strong position to make the Coppa Italia final with a resounding first leg win with our cup side. Speranza and Lanzo combining down the right before the winger opened his body up and slotted it neatly into the far corner, continuing his fine form and really staking his claim to be a first team regular. Marzio doubled our lead, nodding in a cross from Maehle as too continues to put pressure of those ahead of him to make me start him. The win was sealed when Sottil tucked away a low effort, converting a cross from Carvalho in a move that his driving run had started. 

My one question though must be around the outputs from (my) record signing, Gavi.

2b17984bc5f5aefc6d86fd6366a3d267.png

As a watcher of the Premier League, I am well aware of this idea that 'Pep's wingers take a season to settle in' and I do appreciate that there is some thoughts behind that, given that I'm actually asking Gavi to play in a position and a role that he's not really used to. However, I do also have an issue with the rating system here which is driven on assists. In my eyes, he's doing everything right her - linking play and progressing it either by dribbling or passing, completing a good number of his passes compared to many other players within the squad and the team average. However, he just hasn't been lucky enough to create a chance that has been put away. I do have a reservation though, particularly after watching Sottil score his goal and I just don't feel that Gavi is the kind of player to make those aggressive runs into the box and get on the end of his hard work. Maybe I will be proved wrong but maybe I do need to slightly tweak a couple of roles around him to make him work the best.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Lecce.

a9e8d6093b783447d4d0a299686f17a4.png

A bit of a smash and grab, really, and not particularly like our normal style of football this season. But, overall, that is good - it means we can be flexible when needed.

Lecce carved us open on a couple of occasions and their big chances came in the second half but, by that point, we were already two goals to the good thanks to Lanza, assisted by Carvalho, and a Carvalho goal, as he moved to 18 contributions this season. I'm pleased that we overcame our spell under the cosh and roared back with a goal, showing that our counter attacking style, where we do absorb pressure well, is efficient. On another day, this could have been a nil-nil, or even a defeat, so I'm - naturally - really pleased to have come away with the three point against a strong Lecce side.

The victory also marks another clean sheet for keeper Ferraroli:

98293107ebb1de80d1615fdfb1ab48b0.png

The youngster has stepped in and performed really well, keeping seven clean sheets in his first nine games for the club. There's still a lot of holes left to fill but, given the age and quality of Carnesecchi, I'm in now rush to speed up his development to fill a gap.

Whilst talking about a youngster coming through, I must admit that I completely missed Daniele Ragatzu from my plans. At the start of the season, I'd transfer listed him due to not thinking he'd cut it but he's been in good form and has obviously developed really well on loan in Serie B. As a player, he fits the bill of being defensive a bit more stable than the right sided winger but also one who is comfortable on the ball and at picking the correct pass. It would be silly to not include him in pre season, at least, as an understudy for Gavi on the left hand side or even for Ederson as the CAR(s). He's not quite physical enough for the DM(d) role, which would fill an immediate hole as I do want someone who can step in to a duel if needed, which is why converted defender Bogarde works well here. Whilst he's out on loan, I can't currently change his transfer status or his estimated value - so that'll be something to do over the summer months.

---

Serie A: Hellas Verona vs Atalanta.

4d84228a74462d4e8da12115abcb5fef.png

Just about!

Again, quite a poor showing against a possession hungry side but we are doing that well known thing of winning when not playing particularly well. Sottil, who was quite brilliant all game, netted our only goal but I wanted to take time to consider Marzio Zenga, who didn't have the best game.

df6b33df5dccb4e9b65350b126989ea9.png

Whilst he's been a phenomenon in his first season, there has been two games he's really struggled in, and, coincidentally, both are teams who really have tried to keep the ball, knowing that, in its most basic form, we then cannot get it to him to score:

• Verona - 33% possession
  • Brescia - 32% possession

Two things need to happen here: he needs to become more rounded in his game to learn how to play as a Complete Forward, making the most of any little bit he can get and I do need to consider whether this role is the most efficient in games like this. If he does go on to become my first choice striker, I need to feel assured that he is playing in the optimal way against every type of opposition.

---

3efbf31ea64e74c5d6285c91c9de96cf.png

An average intake (full intake in thumbnail) is not really what I would have wanted upon arrival here, however, it must be considered that there are already a number of really good youngsters at the club. I've picked out a few players who I do like though.

You can see their full profile by clicking the thumbnail:

0fd4505e14650fd17bbfc7fcb7c1aaaa.png  0790248b4929657461c5343c17386238.png  263d0935eb271d71d93c16ef7e680af0.png  7619fc2547e44982e7dca4460817886a.png

All of these will get plenty of time to develop in the youth squads, working with the excellent coaching team to develop their skills.

I've been using the NewGan tool for a long time now and, whilst it does a great job and mass-replacing all of the faces, I've found them to be somewhat dull. I've finally found a pack that has a bigger focus on just the head - as it seems that most, at present, have shirts included too and I don't like that, and have replaced some of these faces. I've then started working through some of my own newgens with very generic faces and have replaced the following:

ZengaLanzoRagatzuPacificoSperanzaCostaFerrigno, Ferraroli, Cisse and Fusari.

Some of them really clearly do look AI generated but others provide a pretty lifelike version - with the differences in facial and head hair the most striking. The tactic screen, for example, feels a bit more authentic as they don't all have very similar features. and I think that they is barely any difference when looking at them on the little screenshot thumbnail above: I'd be hard pressed to say whether any of those are real people or not! I'll continue to do this for individuals whilst still using NewGan for the masses as I do like faces in the game.

---

Serie A: Udinese vs Atalanta.

0d915ea7bc87828588bf103b7c7650a2.png

I feel like we've lost our way a little going forward, even though we have actually only conceded once since the 27th January 2030. The two players with the most minutes are Carvalho (2579) and Ederson (2497) and it's showing as they're getting leggy earlier and earlier into games at the moment. I don't feel that we have sufficient depth right now to change the game later on and that does worry me going forward. However, going to Udine is not an easy place to go - they have a good defence and are a decent side, despite being new to this division. What is good though is that we forced them to play a game that they are not comfortable with, as they too like to counter attack. They posed little threat and, as soon as we can snap out of this spell, should have enough to be better than these teams.

---

76e5376a585d0e3882abc93796b5b66f.png

April is a torrid month as we travel to Milan and Juventus, probably losing ground for the top four spot in those two games. However, we have points on the board and we're moving, even if it's at a slightly stuttering pace right now. Also to celebrate, our U20 team are doing well in their U20 Primavera league and I've just promoted some really promising youngsters from my U18 team after the youth intake. 

85ea7ffc3be013ec8bf587e8a7200439.png

Forza La Dea!

Formidable defence. Something famed in the glory days of Italian football! Although Atalanta fans love the GPG era am sure they love this second coming of a golden era. 

I love the piece on Gavi, I have huge reservations about the way SI calculate average rating. All over the pitch for that matter. Even when it goes in your advantage it’s noticeable. Like Platovic first season for me. He was a giant won all his headers and scored 8 goals from centre back. He went from being worth 600k to being sold for 5 million because of that season.

The one thing I’ll say though, after his deal never worked out in France he came back to Austria for a reasonable fee. But twice I found him out when playing Rapid. I suppose that element is very realistic. How often do we see players have one standout season under a certain manager and then they get found out.  

11 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Again, quite a poor showing against a possession hungry side but we are doing that well known thing of winning when not playing particularly well. Sottil, who was quite brilliant all game, netted our only goal but I wanted to take time to consider Marzio Zenga, who didn't have the best game.

df6b33df5dccb4e9b65350b126989ea9.png

Whilst he's been a phenomenon in his first season, there has been two games he's really struggled in, and, coincidentally, both are teams who really have tried to keep the ball, knowing that, in its most basic form, we then cannot get it to him to score:

•  

Personally think you are being a little harsh on Zenga, he scored two goals vs Torino got an 8.3 rating and then proceeded to play only 11 minutes over the next three games, sitting for two whole games on the bench, I would be a little confused!

That’s a decent run of results, temporarily placing you forth! Next month with a great rod games could see you cement a European spot. Milan and Juv in that mix makes it a tough month.

Really like the look of Alberto from your youth intake. Don’t mind the Polish youngster either. Alberto could be the right player for you to come through the intake :thup:

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Formidable defence. Something famed in the glory days of Italian football! Although Atalanta fans love the GPG era am sure they love this second coming of a golden era. 

Oh yes. Always been a mainstay of my style. Would rather win 1-0 than 3-2!

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I love the piece on Gavi

I'm really hoping he properly comes good next season for us.

2 hours ago, mtheslop said:

Personally think you are being a little harsh on Zenga, he scored two goals vs Torino got an 8.3 rating and then proceeded to play only 11 minutes over the next three games, sitting for two whole games on the bench, I would be a little confused!

True! My plan has been to play him against the teams where his skillset suits but, to become my first choice, he's going to have to play them all. I was just really interested to see that his two worst performances were against teams where he was starved of the ball. But, again, there is the idea about the skewing of Average Ratings towards goals for strikers and I know - although you'll never see it as a metric - the work he did off the ball and in out defence was top notch.

2 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Next month with a great rod games could see you cement a European spot. Milan and Juv in that mix makes it a tough month.

This is the thing. Between now and the end of the season we have to play Milan, Juve and Inter and have already lost to Roma. I think the gulf between us and those four is big: too big.

2 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Really like the look of Alberto from your youth intake. Don’t mind the Polish youngster either. Alberto could be the right player for you to come through the intake :thup:

Agreed.

0eca319eae09c14c058dfccdeb34bc7a.png

I was having a little look at his attribute set and I think he could be the perfect player to develop into my HB(d) role. He's not too shabby defensively - although Heading is a weakness - and makes really good decisions. He's good on the ball but probably lacks the Flair and Vision to play much higher up. If I can work on his physicality and Concentration, I think he could be a real asset to the club.

Yeah, Wieczorek is really nicely rounded: Finishing, Dribbling and First Touch look good for a man who could play high up the pitch. I'll need to make him a little more rounded, but there is certainly potential there.

April 2030

Serie A: Milan vs Atalanta.

0e5f60f66974bf78810f3f60a3b7250d.png

We just about held on in the first of our tough run of fixtures.

We limited Milan to a couple of decent chances and then saved Theo Hernandez's penalty midway through the second half to keep the scoreline at nil nil. We have, once again, been penalised for our lack of possession when it comes to the average ratings of these players. The work that they have all put in to maintain the relatively high but compact line is immense, given the small squad that we have - with several players running on empty towards the end. Not really the result that either of us needed but, once again, it's a marker of where we are, how far we've come and what we need to do next. Part of that is to have a forward who hasn't scored in several months!

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Bologna.

2dc8c519af424b3cc7d9f09e11ae37e0.png

We really have lost our shooting boots right now.

A particularly annoying defeat as we just looked tired and somewhat lethargic throughout. I made a slight tactical tweak, trying out Speranza in the HB(d) role as a potential alternative to Bogarde - but keeping with the idea of a converted defender that will help as a man marker if necessary. He did that bit fine but only competed 73% of his passes, with only eleven of his forty-six progressive the ball forwards in any way. There are fine margins within on what success looks like but I think I still need to be convinced.

---

Serie A: Sampdoria vs Atalanta.

1e2a81461c560d381cb09f5f0f416c5a.png

The return of a bit of form.

Zenga was back to his best, causing havoc for the defenders with his direct running as well as his really strong link with Francesco Lanzo on the right, who also netted to round off a good game for my breakout academy players this year. Ferraroli's goal was breached twice, the first as we got really complacent after an incredibly strong start. What I'm looking to see is if we cave in to the pressure or are able to overcome spells under the cosh. Here, Samp made that pressure pay for them and scored from a well constructed move. It is - in my opinion - important that I look at this defensive positioning, watching us being pulled out and engaging in duels repeatedly and ensuring that the gaps aren't being created because of this.

Five goals is a lovely return to form though.

---

Serie A: Juventus vs Atalanta.

e63b31ecf3d4b889a0b4af82bb09c4e0.png

Absolutely got away with this one. Juventus' shooting was poor and they could and should have had a hatful against us but I was happy to be facing an out of sorts Endrick/Vlahovic/Calvert Lewin trio. Gavi recorded his first assist for the club, too, setting up Sottil early on as our game plan of 'get ahead' early on worked out for us.

---

Coppa Italia Semi Final Second Leg: Torino vs Atalanta.

e87ad97a29605e0deb3d994b5508ddc1.png

Coppa Italia finalists!

We did enough. Nothing spectacular but, for the most, a weekday off as I tried to rotate the squad as much as possible.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Lazio.

d3613ece17ca017b9d5dbf39a4636a5b.png

A draw to end the month. The positive - a goal for Lanzo as he moves to third on my goalscoring charts this season. The negative - a 20-year old learning Serie A on the job is my third highest goalscorer this season and another 20-year is my top scorer. We've really ran out of steam as we approach the final few games on the season. Lazio are a good team but I've shown, previously, that this shape can work particularly well against their 4-4-2. That being said, I've loosened my grip on the tactical side of the write-ups, as you've read this month and, to be fair, a little bit of the actual doing the tactical tweaks.

---

e5c7a5d4da678af794cb6b9bccd299cc.png

Just need these four games to be done now - we have nothing to play for. Inter will likely beat us and that leaves us too far away from Juve for the fourth CL spot but, fortunately, too far ahead of Lecce and Udinese for the Europa League/Europa Conference League spots. Fifth will get us automatically into the Europa League group stages and €10m, which will satisfy the board and my recruitment team when I give them something to spend.

I would also really like to end with a strong showing in the Coppa Italia final and two league wins.  I've put an awful lot into this season and can't wait to see how far we can go! Just need to get to June though, first...

b321ca14092c0443e4f361d5a50af812.png

Forza La Dea!

Shame to run out of steam at the business end of the season, but you did say that you felt UCL was possibly a step too far at this point in the rebuild.  With two tough home games coming up before the cup final, are you planning to use those games to try out some specific plans for Juventus?

6 hours ago, GIMN said:

Shame to run out of steam at the business end of the season, but you did say that you felt UCL was possibly a step too far at this point in the rebuild

Yeah, we've just accumulated too many minutes across the squad. Below is the percentage of available minutes my first team have played:

de65ec0c00dc35e5bb399beb93e0cb9d.png

Carvalho and Ederson are the two midfielders and the former has ran just under 470km this season from that role, which is insane. I can accept Okoli, as a centre back, being high on that list but really it's just highlighted the lack of that I've got right now. At the right hand side of the list, you've got the likes of Costa, Monea, Speranza, Ferraroli and Ferrigno - all academy players or youngsters just moving into the team this season and, therefore, not adept to the demands of Serie A. It's unreasonable to have expected them to have come in and played a big part this season but, hopefully, next season they can contribute more.

It'd be unrealistic to expect two senior professionals for each position; in this squad I essentially only have that at left back where I've shared the minutes between Maehle and Pellegrini but the key for this summer's rebuild will be finding that perfect, middle ground.

6 hours ago, GIMN said:

With two tough home games coming up before the cup final, are you planning to use those games to try out some specific plans for Juventus?

Yes and no.

If the list was the other way round and I had Cagliari and Spezia first, then yes, but with Fiore and Inter, it'll be harder.

The biggest problem with preparing tactically is that Conte plays a 3-4-3 with two inverted wingers - normally Endrick and one Kulusevski or Calvert Lewin behind Vlahovic up top - and nobody else in the league plays like that.

b5e79e3ea30c070b3856e12f3d4c25bf.png

With the ball they're high and wide open, sending a lot forward but then manage to become tight and compact without it. Their most common passing lane was Todibo to Locatelli when we played them as they played around in front of our press. I think, in terms of exploring ways in which I will break them down, it'll be all about getting the ball wide, quickly, whilst their wing backs are high and knowing their forwards won't track much. I think Lanzo could be a real asset to our game plan.

A decent month results wise, with the loss coming from an unexpected source. You can definitely see the trend of tired legs (especially in midfield), with scoring early and conceding in the second half. That or the concentration wasn’t switched on at the beginning of the second half.

Your defense though is rock solid and has been all season. Definitely nice bones to build on next season, and for the cup final!

Speaking of which, got my fingers crossed for you :thup:

16 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Still a huge match against Juve to come!!

5 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Definitely nice bones to build on next season, and for the cup final!

Thanks both. A cup win and European qualification is way beyond what I expected and, in fact, a cup final and Europe is too - given the team selections I've used throughout.

6 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

That or the concentration wasn’t switched on at the beginning of the second half.

I think that this is a longer term thing, for me, and it revolves around the impact of my team talks and then the reactions I make, and my team make, to goals being scored and conceded. With my watching the matches in so much detail, I am able to see when the opposition is putting us under a lot of pressure but need to see if a shout/change of instruction etc is actually beneficial or will just pass given the way that the engine is created.

May 2030

Serie A: Atalanta vs Inter.

d98a3e3d5ad79f6f2b16a3a5baa5239d.png

I do like playing against Inter's 5-3-2 shape and I must say that I think we possibly edged this one as a huge amount of Inter's possession was within their defensive five, moving the ball backwards and forwards between them. The game is telling for the likes of Zenga: a man who thrives on space but was just restricted in this one, showing that he does need to learn and we need to adapt if we are going to build around him as a lone striker. That being said, I don't think many strikers would have a field day given that Inter's defence is really good: 32 goals (although six from Roma) with two of those coming from corners and two from direct free kicks tells a tale of a strong defence that even the best of striker would struggle against. Again, it must be said that Zenga's work rate off the ball was fantastic and his rating is just there for the 0.41xG he squandered.

A good point for us.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Fiorentina.

0b07b91869fb506ecf2e10d877649acb.png

Another one that could be considered a bit of a smash and grab, given the overall quality of our chances compared to theirs.

curling strike from Gavi was the pick of the goals and it was lovely to see Luciano Costa, now up to sixty-two minutes this season (my fault for some horrendous squad management of my forward line), netting his first goal for the club after replacing Zenga late on. We had a lot more possession than we normally do against the bigger teams and that is demonstrated in our passing direction stats: with 222 sideways passes compared to 158 forward, something that shows we did find Fiore's block a little harder to breakdown. However, the amount of time we had on the ball was largely due to the away side's profligacy with keeping it, as they squandered possession trying to play over and through us as they too appeared to tire out.

The man of the match and a man very much in form right now was Riccardo Sottil:

a77e2c412135a7ac022480331d74b649.png

He's turned into a really important player and is one of six men (Zenga: 14G 1A, Carvalho: 8G 13A, Lanzo: 7G 4A, Ederson: 3G 8A and Almada: 3G 7A) at the club with ten or more goal contributions this season - playing in both of my wide midfield roles equally well. He's direct and gets forward to join the attack, making him quite excellent in the supporting role on the left (and noticeably different to how Gavi plays it) but is also a more rounded winger on the right (and right footed) than Lanzo.

Long may his form continue.

---

Coppa Italia Final: Juventus vs Atalanta.

9f1ca490b64d61ded6956ef42df038c4.png

Our lineup is pretty much the strongest side I can get out right now. I trusted Sottil after his great showing against his old club. Opposition instructions have been set to pull their wing backs inside and push their inside forwards outside whilst cutting off the most common passing lanes, that normally originate from Todibo.

We started well actually and looked defensively sound. However, their opener came from a bit of build up that I don't feel is particularly realistic. I don't think that Vlahovic would be making that run, offside, at this point because Endrick has the space to play it through and it'd end up being a wasted move. There are two tiny little details I don't like here: Amey lets Endrick back onto his left foot too easily, despite being asked to keep him outside and Pellegrini, at no point, has an understand where Kulusevski is. When the ball comes in, Dejan is able to leap, relatively unchallenged, and nod Juve ahead. Our equaliser is classic Atalanta as we break through the middle and Carvalho plays Zenga through, who finishes really well. Again, just tiny details in their second: Gavi was instructed to tight mark Holm, the right wing back, in order to give us a better defensive shape - but he just hasn't. Part of that is likely to do with the fact he's pretty terrible at marking but, at least, his body shape should be there, between Holm and the goal, to show him inside as I've instructed. Then, once again, Pellegrini is caught with Kulusevski on his blind side and the ball that comes through - however good it may be - immediately puts Luca is a bad place as he can't see that run. His Positioning, Marking and Decisions are all solid but, like I've said many times before, he was exhausted at this point and, worryingly, used to playing a less direct game - still!

We're a really good side and play really good football in all areas of the pitch but, in this case, Juve were two or three decisions better than us. It's the finest of margins but we've come out of the wrong side of it. However, we should absolutely hold our heads high and learn from this.

---

Serie A: Cagliari vs Atalanta.

83587e210d6b02ec2028b436ef8da6f3.png

A heavily rotated line up took on Cagliari knowing that there was little to play for: we could finish no lower than sixth but unlikely that we would be able to topple Inter to finish fourth.

7406e562f202c344adfcb9d0e62f653b.png

A game of very little quality, to be honest. Extra added time as Almada went down injured in injury time, leading to news of a 5 month injury layoff and the termination of his loan, but, in the added time in added time - literally the last kick of the game - Bogarde's raking ball found Carvalho, who finished calmly to give us the three points.

---

Round 37 also sealed Sampdoria's relegation and, as such, meant that I could begin my approach for a player who has been on my radar all season.

13e561762d62c79e89f342f2bd836ac0.png

The Samp midfielder, with full profile accessible in the thumbnail, is a full international after making Italy's preliminary World Cup squad and could be a cost-effective player, considering I still cannot afford Nicholas Amoroso's €42m release clause: although that is roughly half of what I had been quoted earlier in the season. His archetype - passer and tackler and very physical is pretty much perfect for what I want from this role, although I will lose some headers in there now that I maybe would have won previously. He is also right footed, so his body shape will allow easier progression to the left hand side of the pitch, where we build up in numbers. In comparison with Bogarde and Torreira, he's clearly not the finished article but, at just 21 years old, really fits my ethos and has a very good starting profile.

His release clause of €9.5m will have to be paid upfront, which does concern me as it'll deplete our financial resources quite considerably, but, when you consider that he is pretty much 50% of the key refinements over the summer, I think it's one worth pursuing.

It also seems like an apt time to share the other of those key refinements:

3e8fd996e31bdb936d0c326a4f673429.png

Jonny (profilescout report and analyst report) looks set to join from Liverpool, in Uruguay for a fee of around €1.5m.

The Uruguayan side, predicted to be one of the best at this level, have performed poorly all season and the full back wants to move on. I must say that I feel he could be a ready made replacement for Maehle, although I'll take it slowly introducing a 21-year old with no experience in Europe. I was drawn to not only his solid defensive attributes but also his dribbles, and, looking at his analyst report, his creative ability.

---

Serie A: Spezia vs Atalanta.

a3cc3edad0a163a73c5ed3ff46bf92bf.png

Spezia put up a pretty good fight in their final Serie A game for at least a year but we had enough quality to see them off as Lanzo, twice, slid the ball through for Moleiro to finish. A good, but much needed, end to the season!

---

26807364e5a398fd99536374b77e340b.png

I am absolutely delighted with that finish as we improve from 10th placed last year to comfortably but a gap between us and the chasing European pack. Roma stutter and hand the Scudetto to the red side of Milan, whilst Juventus pip Inter into third place, although the pressure on Antonio Conte must be mounting as the Turin giants were never really in the title race. Lecce and Fiore get the last two European slot as Viola leapfrog Lazio and Udinese, who have had a sensational return to the top flight, but did lose nearly a third of their total league games in the last five. Napoli recover from a torrid start to the season but fall a little short in their European challenge, but they'll be no doubts that they are back next season whilst my old side, Sassuolo, end in fourteenth, falling back from last year. Torino, Sampdoria and sorry Spezia go down, with the latter two having particularly poor defensive records.

Tammy Abraham wins the Golden Shoe but Vlahovic's injury in January stopped him from challenging that as he maintained the best xG/90 record. 

d247001ea15fb2e7bb895413fcb200c1.png

Our game plan has been built around a strong defence - the strongest in the league and across the top divisions in Europe - but also a pretty clinical attack, as our fifty-four goals is nearly one and a half a game. We conceded fourteen less goals than our xGA suggests we should, which shows the remarkable work that my coaching team have done on the training pitch and how the players have maintained form and focus across the long season.

Juve aside, I think we're probably just a bit short in attack as everyone above us has overperformed their xG at a level ahead of ours. A little bit more luck in from of the goal and we could well be putting some more pressure on the top four.

In terms of individuals - it's been hard but I've picked the five that have impressed me the most.

63246d4d3b4089e6c737f8274e5ba7fd.png  4600f86c3c3197b06e1ebc9a9ccbafdd.png  f668bcc1377c90d9d47c2d2c995e14b3.png  6a354b66a48b303e3083a9e6bd0ae9ac.png  c3e7f7ffe7a4aeb27481241930a746f2.png 

All thumbnails - above - are clickable to see a full profile.

5. Marco Carnesecchi

7275f453b2b2bbf47019cbbcf33bca83.png

18 clean sheets in 30 appearances is a fantastic return for any keeper, as well as going the whole season with a 91% save ratio. I really like how my team instructions have impacted his style: he'll drop the ball, slow the pace down and pick out the HB(d), who is often already being pressed at this point as we look to play through teams' high press. When he goes long, he often instructs the players to take up positions on the right then plays the ball out to the left where we have a player in space. He's also an immense character to have in the squad and I'm always able to motivate him during team talks. He's got another two years left on this deal and I'll look to keep him as long as possible.

4. Franco Lanzo

00d4c2bc5205abc71e34981d295253d8.png

One of two lads who have had a real breakout season. Lanzo has come in to play on the right hand side and has recorded thirteen goal contributions. His directness through running and progressing the ball is great and, given the fact that he's left footed, means that he'll run, at pace, and cut in front of defenders, making him insanely tough to mark. His appearance has also saved me a considerable chunk of money as he's probably stopped the permanent deal for Thiago Almada happening. It's always great to see players develop through the academy and this one is no different.

3. Wisdom Amey

dfb8481b3db020b23b19b31717e58196.png

A €6.5m signing from a relegated side felt like a low risk deal but Wisdom has grown into a full Italian international, who'll be going to the World Cup over the summer. Originally, an out-and-out defender, he's developed his game, despite a slow start, to demonstrate a really clever defensive player. Often making great decisions in terms of his position and choice of engagement with an opponent, he's tied down the right back slot for us. Sometimes - unfairly - penalised for our lack of possession, I feel that the youngster has been the best signing I've made so far at the club.

2. Marzio Zenga

fd6de98166bf3dd081ef9e068d9b3e43.png

The second breakout player who will, hopefully, go on to cement himself as a regular starter next year. Sixteen goal contributions, with an xG overperformance of just under 4.00 is a great return as he's elite under pressure, finishing over one in five of his shots. I'd love him to develop into a bit more of a creative striker, who can lay on goals as well as score them, but I will not complain if a man, with no prior Serie A experience, can do this season in, season out.

1. Fabio Carvalho

21cc1c861b6ad7282a93388c3f04f9c1.png

A sublime season from the Portuguese lad, who also won his first cap for the country but is devastated - rightly - to not have made the cut for the World Cup squad. Twenty three goal contributions with three direct free kicks - a league high - as well as a progressive nature show how important he is to our style. Often found picking the ball up in half spaces and vertical gaps, he drives forward and lays it off for others. Despite having a low pass completion percentage, so many of his completed passes are key and he's so important to us. You can see, though, that his minutes per game is below what I'd expect for a key player but that is on me - we lacked the squad depth and was unlucky with some injuries that meant he had to start a lot more games than I'd really want him to, but then had to be withdrawn.

---

I have loved my time here and am really excited about what the summer can bring. We've already made the two necessary replacements so anything I can do is now about strengthening in other areas and remaining financially sound. I will also endeavour to take in some of Spain '30, hoping my Italians can fire their national team to a title after their third place in USA four years ago.

Forza La Dea!

June 2030

I like June. It's the month built around the screen, below. I tend to just let the save progress away and take a bit of a mental break myself. I tend to play FM whilst doing other things as it's on my laptop which is easily accessible most of the time. Months like this are great as I can just flick through and not have to worry about that deep involvement that will come again in July!

ac4019eeae5fe22de1837c621a708b58.png

I'm really happy with the midfield here - I have players who can play across multiple roles.

• Gavi - WM(s) at ML and CAR(s) at MCR
  • Ragatzu - WM(s) at ML and CAR(s) at MCR
  • Carvalho - CM(a) at MCL and IW(a) at MR
  • Moleiro - WM(s) at ML and CM(a) at MCL
  • Ederson - CAR(s) and MCR, CM(a) at MCL and WM(s) at ML
  • Sottil - IW(a) at MR and WM(s) at ML

With the two key areas of left back and DM already recruited at an outlay of €11m, I can use this time to look at players I'd like to add or players who I could recruit should any of the first team players leave. We aren't hugely well off; the board has given me a €35m budget for next year but that will be pretty much all that is in the bank as the new sponsorship deals and TV money comes in and, whilst we do have the income of European football, I will need to look at being clever with my dealings.

---

Right Back:

2320ca98f55c6b58098886ad20597a81.png

Profile | Overall Report |

Bruno is entering the last year of his contract at Inter and has been criminally underused. A loan deal could work for me in the summer as a backup for Amey and a more progressive wing back than Speranza. Whether or not this will be forthcoming though will be a different matter although I have promise given how his stock has fallen across the last year, when I remember being quoted north o €40m for him when I was at Sassuolo. As Inter play with very aggressive Wing Backs, it'll be interesting to see whether/if he can slot in to my style and I think that a loan would be perfect for that.

Central Midfield:

366792131a655981f8729834583cc027.png

Profile | Scout Report | Analyst Report |

Another potential star from Uruguay (see this Tifo video on the Uruguayan talent factories for further understanding) and a player that I've profiled before - albeit now with a new, AI face, Daniel Ferreira could be the exact person I need as I look to phase Lucas Torreira out over the next season or if Melayro Bogarde decides to move on. He's a strong all rounder and, whilst lacking a bit of the height as I'd already identified with Pilenga, could be really good progressing the ball from the CAR(s) role. His €6m release clause - whilst, again, all up front - wouldn't be a huge dent in my bank balance.

----

d28f7dcf075b1eca9b3e091d4bf5edb6.png

Melayro has gone! As soon as the Premier League clubs declared any kind of interest, his toys had been thrown out but I have no idea why he'd want to join 15th placed Bournemouth under the tutelage of Steven Gerrard. However, I can see that it is the handsome pay packet that has helped this somewhat. I'm obviously disappointed to be losing him and that means a shuffle around in terms of what I've got left but I think it opens the door for the Ferreira deal to take place and for Torreira to move back to the backup DM, behind Pilenga.

---

79a04efd4e6c3fec249707d0933b1082.png

I watched as Wisdom Amey assisted Riccardo Sottil in an otherwise unremarkable performance.

A good season, nearly making ECL. That defense is great, and the attack isn’t bad either. Finding more goals is probably the next thing, though not easy to do. It looks like you’re squad rejuvenating is coming along nicely :thup:

1 hour ago, Sonic Youth said:

A good season, nearly making ECL. That defense is great, and the attack isn’t bad either. Finding more goals is probably the next thing, though not easy to do. It looks like you’re squad rejuvenating is coming along nicely :thup:

Thanks. It was a really fun one to play.

I've got a really good handle on where we're at and I want to take things slowly and precisely - as my summer plans will probably reveal. I'm hoping that giving Zenga the free reign as number one will be enough but that's a risky decision!

18 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Cisse is a bit of a strange one - not really good enough on the ball at the moment to play as an Inverted Wing Back or even to be repurposed as a CAR(s), but then not good enough in the air to be a CB(d).

Great update and really insightful to hear your detailed thinking about almost every player in your squad, their roles and how you see their development going forward. Cisse is a really interesting case, I appreciate his heading is not ideal but I feel he is worth persisting with as a CB, his 6"2 frame and jumping reach should be able to cover for his lack of ability to actually put direction on his headers. I just can't see him developing to the technical level you require to play full back and his elite personality, natural fitness and two footedness make him someone really worth persisting with for me! 

Great updates Ben. I've had to play a bit of catch up but have gone through it all now.

On the subject of the "in possession" instructions you discussed earlier. Have you tried standard passing but with Counter ticked? Might be worth trying in pre-season to see if you like it. I've always found higher tempo and direct passing on balanced mentality a bit too long for my liking. I don't mind it on Cautious mentality so much as players are bit more risk adverse anyways but balanced seems to be a bit to long for my liking.

On 10/04/2023 at 17:11, mtheslop said:

Great update and really insightful to hear your detailed thinking about almost every player in your squad, their roles and how you see their development going forward. Cisse is a really interesting case, I appreciate his heading is not ideal but I feel he is worth persisting with as a CB, his 6"2 frame and jumping reach should be able to cover for his lack of ability to actually put direction on his headers. I just can't see him developing to the technical level you require to play full back and his elite personality, natural fitness and two footedness make him someone really worth persisting with for me! 

Thanks for this post - this is the kind of feedback I love to get. I actually just looked at his profile and he's considered to be a Promising Centre Back:

138ab745cc38f32b0721089f2defd3f1.png

I think you're spot on with your analysis of him. He won't ever be perfect in the air but I don't think all of Heading is about accuracy anyway. Just being there - a big physical presence - will often be enough. Plus, I do like to channel the players centrally and avoid crosses anyway and this then gives me another reason to do that.

On 10/04/2023 at 23:28, Justified said:

Great updates Ben. I've had to play a bit of catch up but have gone through it all now.

On the subject of the "in possession" instructions you discussed earlier. Have you tried standard passing but with Counter ticked? Might be worth trying in pre-season to see if you like it. I've always found higher tempo and direct passing on balanced mentality a bit too long for my liking. I don't mind it on Cautious mentality so much as players are bit more risk adverse anyways but balanced seems to be a bit to long for my liking.

I will have a look - thanks. I'm happy with the directness, to be fair, but just not the ones that go up to my small, lone striker, six foot in the air, when he has six defenders around him!

(Late) July 2030

I've been absent of late due to another skinning rabbit hole: I've remade the main page and put some extra thought into the statistical breakdowns (thanks to @GIMN for this bit). But, I'm now back and ready to focus on my second season at Atalanta. The squad breakdown feels good and now it's just a case of ensuring that what they do on the training pitch and matches are as close to perfect as I can get them.

Starting with training:

With a year of data under my belt, I can really start to dig into what has gone well and not so well with my senior and youth schedules. Whilst I can measure the impact of on-field performances (directly linked to the Match Prep blocks) through the league table and player stats, it's a little more ambiguous (just how I like it to be) about their attribute development. For realism reasons, I've made the font as small as possible in order to not be able to see the average increase for each attribute, but, instead see the scale of those that have increased the most to those that have increased the least, or even decreased.

43ecd8ab94da30fdf6e6df92ea2c1c35.png

Those highlighted in yellow are my core attributes so it is great to see those making the most progress across the year.

To me, I have little need to worry about wholesale changes within these sessions, which are split into 'attack' and 'defend' depending on the opposition we are facing each week - although I do ensure that we have a equal mix of them both.

1526735df2f5bafed2204df48f9246d8.png

06b77b301d8ad0c8e62b137d1dce3d3e.png

I then did the same for the U20 and U18 squads. For reference, I also collected this data:

9f0dd3bdaf88a8af8507371f0c34dceb.png

This is more concerning but, at the same time, a good bit of data to explore in the future. We've made - as expected - good progress in a number of physical areas. Given that the players are young, I would naturally expect them to get better in those areas.

fa2b8a9d05473d31a5edc0a4e5d15c53.png

However, I'm concerned about the lack of Technical development in here. I am keen to ensure that there is the element of match practice that runs throughout these sessions, in order to create a deeper tactical culture at the club but I do think that there needs to be some changes made to this. I think that this'll be a theme that is revisited through the season with these squads as I look to ensure I have the best - and most suited to my team - players at my disposal for future seasons.

---

2d05afa5850cfad8f2fa1a835aa8d7ba.png

We've got a really busy pre-season schedule on but we've already played the first three games and, unlike last year's perfect clean sheet record, we've conceded and lost, albeit on penalties.

Expect August to be back to normal in terms of posting!

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

This is more concerning but, at the same time, a good bit of data to explore in the future. We've made - as expected - good progress in a number of physical areas. Given that the players are young, I would naturally expect them to get better in those areas.

fa2b8a9d05473d31a5edc0a4e5d15c53.png

However, I'm concerned about the lack of Technical development in here. I am keen to ensure that there is the element of match practice that runs throughout these sessions, in order to create a deeper tactical culture at the club but I do think that there needs to be some changes made to this. I think that this'll be a theme that is revisited through the season with these squads as I look to ensure I have the best - and most suited to my team - players at my disposal for future seasons.

The (relative) lack of technical development is quite surprising, especially given multiple sessions on possession.  I'll be keen to see how your approach to training develops over the season(s)!

August 2030

Following on from last month's post and the comments from @GIMN and @SixPointer - a further review of my youth setup was in order.

670823d5d520b94b399e69bc223375b6.png

I've looked at my results two-fold. Firstly, I wanted to ensure that I had the best possible staff available to me at youth level and then I wanted to ensure that what they deliver is quality. I hate the way you recruit staff in FM - an advert is semi-realistic but stops running if you appoint one person and you can't stipulate any kind of depth to what you want and then the Staff Search is, well, the Staff Search. Fortunately, this was evolution, not revolution - pretty similar to what I've done this summer with the playing staff. A few new names have joined the original team - part of which I put together on my arrival and the rest that was already here.

The four key men are below:

5dfe8e0a6613759a0186dd3fc7c48588.png 0883917f4cfbed6d4b18e5d592d18a0d.png beb99ec4a6ab68011ca810303f73008b.png 1df7a22d3bfb8724730e6bd38cc60cdf.png

Profiles can be accessed by clicking on the thumbnail.

Kaka is the man who I appointed as the U20 manager and has, albeit without being able to take full credit, won two competitions with the youth side. He's an excellent Motivator and is Determined and his second favourite formation is pretty close to what I use. I like that he's not really a specialist coach but is also able to muck in with everything. His assistant is Pablo Guinazu, who came as a real coup from Argentina, where he has had experience as a first team manager. He'll be a real asset to the youngsters and is another one who can work across multiple training domains. In the U18 squad, Atalanta legend Bellini takes the lead whilst new recruit Calderon (I don't remember him at Brighton) slots in as his assistant. He is another one who I would consider making a step down in terms of job hierarchy to join our project here.

I'm very keen on the development of my own staff - either through their ability in terms of coaching courses (for example: Ciro Immobile will be completing the remainder of his badges here, hopefully) and then job development, with them starting in the youth ranks and moving upwards. Gianluigi Buffon has now been with me at Trabzonspor, Sassuolo and now Atalanta but, sadly, hasn't really developed as a coach. He's a man I love to have around given his experience and personality but, if he does not improve his coaching ability, he'll not be able to move into a role with the senior team.

I'm happier with the overall spread of what I have now and, in Fabio Espinho, I now have a dedicated coach who favours the Technical aspect of training in the U20 squad, something which may have been part of the wider issue last year.

I've also had a slight play with the schedules that the youth sides will use:

6ccdc0899e1e5a7ee615338a41e03f03.gif

I split my senior training into two different weeks, but have attempted to do that within one week for the youngsters, splitting them with my favourite schedules: attacking and defensive shadow play. I still intend to keep the players together as a group and, as such, have used 'Attacking' rather than 'Attacking Wings' as the former trains the entire team together, which, in my opinion, will only be good for cohesion. There is an attacking section to the week and a defensive section that both contain one physical session to ensure that I don't change too much and we lose the physical development. 

Nothing wholesale here but just making things slightly better each time. These changes will be particularly important for a number of players but not the three highlighted below:

9c6995183688160f050a23562a096fa8.png

I have a number of expiring contracts to think about, including the aforementioned Lassina Cisse and the Spanish duo of Moleiro and Camello - both of whom are already resigned to running down their deals, I have three players at the club who will need to impress in order to win new deals. It makes sense that these three also join the likes of Cisse and Diener out on loan - in mens football - in order to see if they are good enough to succeed in their career. We have links with Serie C sides Feralpi Salo and Carrarese, so I'll look to make use of those. This will likely decimate the youth squad and leave Kaka an improbable job or retaining the Primavera U20, but the clearout when I first took over was important in order to get the right kind of players coming through. I kept a large number of the intake last year and, should this pattern continue, we'll again be able to stock up more next March, hopefully in a stronger position with better quality players.

---

Tour of North America.

cad3a5d6731aa3569cc52d06950aca5e.png

A leisurely holiday in New York as my players scored twelve times across three games beating three second tier opponents. I wanted to give an equal amount of opportunities across all the games but opted to try and play the players for the full ninety - or as close as they could get to it - in order to build fitness and not have complacency off the bench against weaker sides. Overall, a very pleasing outing for my forwards as both Camello and Costa bagged a brace. At least a whole game under each player's belt and some tactical familiarity.

--

Lombardy Invitational Semi Final: Atalanta vs FC BW Feldkirch.

48576a0f8c37f24e4d5b4536d2dd2888.png

The second of my friendly cups this summer saw me face off against Austrian part-timers Feldkirch. I named second string XI with Franco Lanzo getting the armband in order to keep the first team fresh for the final. It's not really one of the friendlies that I learn a lot from but I must say that I was impressed with the duo of Ragatzu and Ferreira in the midfield. There are concerns, in my opinion, about the form of Lucas Torreira, the veteran holding midfielder:

eb1d0c0232b6d0d488349b1aa0102904.png

His ability is rapidly declining and, whilst we haven't had a lot of defending to do, apparently hasn't done what has been expected of him. A penalty miss against Memphis set him up for a shocking rating but, to be fair, these ratings are somewhat harsh for the role I expect him to play. Granted, he could be winning the ball more - through interceptions - but his passing stats aren't too bad. There could be more incision and directness in his play but there are at least five more creative players in the team ahead of him so just laying it off isn't a bad thing. I am aware - maybe now more than ever before - that he won't last forever. However, my Defensive Midfield shortlist is not exactly stocked with players able to come in now and do a job and, given that the majority are non-EU, I'll have to wait until Speranza gains his citizenship.

can't reach January without a replacement lined up!

---

Lombardy Invitational Final: Atalanta vs RB Salzburg.

ff7f605683af23b8ff0f863eed2e4939.png

Lombardy Invitational Champions, you'll never sing that!

I must say that there is something nice in getting one over on RB each season, even if @SixPointer has moved to greener pastures. 

We opened the scoring early with a man who has somewhat gone under the radar this summer: Marzio Zenga. Without a new striker (although more on that later), I have kind of accepted that he's first choice and just prepared him for the season. His delightful movement saw him get on the end of a Luca Pellegrini pass before rounding the keeping and slotting home. It was pretty much all one way traffic from there on in, with RB going nearly an hour without a real chance but we doubled our lead as Sottil nodded in from a Pellegrini cross, as the evergreen wingback stakes his claim for a first team slot despite the arrival of the Uruguayan, Jonny. Okoli's header from a corner in injury time sealed the deal.

I do however, have an issue with my strikers. Earlier in the summer Sergio Camello announced he'd be leaving and that was fine, except for the fact he's been in good form this pre-season. I had intended to give some extra game time to Luciano Costa, the young forward from my academy. Over the past twelve months, I've barely afforded him any minutes and his overall progress has faltered, as you can see:

ff1b4db36005afd29439c4bd8d9435a6.png

But Camello has been in really strong form and this has further stunted the minutes for the youngster, despite his good cameo in the Hartford tie. My shortlist has a couple of youngsters on it, neither of whom fit what I would need if I want to act upon this. If I could source a striker, with experience, who didn't mind playing second or third fiddle for a year and then, either third fiddle or replaced by Fontana - the lad out at Udinese - then I could loan Costa out for a year with a view on his kickstarting his development and returning to be a natural Serie A finisher.

Food for thought!

---

Friendly: SPAL vs Atalanta.

7fb3c0167ff7ef2a4740f0603025bbc3.png

SPAL are a feeder of ours and have just been promoted to Serie A, so I felt that this was an ample test of my squad's ability to cope with quality.

It was that man Camello - the man who is going to walk away on a free and likely to very well elsewhere - that won the game for us as he turned in Sottil's low cross. I was reading on Twitter this week about the importance of these cutbacks and I was wondering whether I should instruct an aim at the forward rather than a more hopeful ball into the box. I need to see what this looks like in action though. Camello's second was from a lovely through ball from his Spanish compatriot as he slotted it in at the near post.  

---

Friendly: Vitoria de Setubal vs Atalanta.

246ba1bd262ce58d90e52c98b5d45dce.png

The last friendly of the summer against a club that I chose to become our affiliate earlier in the calendar year. Setubal have fallen on hard times and are now in the third tier of Portuguese football but I hope they'll provide an avenue for us into the youth that is being developed here.

We started brightly at Jonny Rodriguez put us ahead with a screamer from the edge of the area after a Lanzo shot was partly cleared. Costa turned provider as his driven ball was poked in by Lanzo for the second before our blushes were saved by the offside flag as we were at sixes and sevens as Setubal broke. Costa got his goal but it was lovely to watch how the change of role - AF(a) to CF(a) - has changed our build up. He starts deeper, creating a 3-3-4 rather than a 3-3-3-1 in transition and finds himself not on the last man, which means he can still rely on his pace but also act as a decoy for - in this case - Ragatzu's run - or vice versa. He brought the ball down and deftly lifted it over the keeper to add his second goal contribution of the night. The impressive Daniele Ragatzu, this time starting centrally so he and Gavi can be in the XI, scored our fourth, again showcasing the creative side of the CF(a). Again, we got lucky as Rayone was (wrongly) adjudged to be offside as we tired towards the end but there was still time for Zenga to get himself on the scoresheet to make it five.

99f9f962ea2807775c65f6dc84f67665.png  7027d3f0ef60e981e46ac910879b5447.png  3f3d358b8ee43819b6b0b7c7fecf415c.png

Full player form can be accessed by clicking on the thumbnail.

Three players really caught my eye this pre-season and it gives me great pleasure to see that two are academy graduates, too. Costa - scoring five goals from only 234 minutes of pre-season,  Lanzo - who took the captain's armband and led by example: four goals and five assists with seven chances created from the right wing slot and Gavi, who shone - recording more than three dribbles and three open play key passes per 90 as well as 0.73 chances created turned into 0.37 assists/90. 

---

Serie A: Parma vs Atalanta. 

da31040d5862b77afd4a19995f4173b9.png

Parma have spent relatively wisely over the summer, adding two creative midfielders in Vega and Dorsch as they look to improve on their seventeenth placed finish last year. They've already tasked competitive football, beating Venezia in the Coppa Italia with their new double pivot on show. Their overall positioning was aggressive against the Serie B side. Looking at their pre-match report, I'll be looking to cut the supply off starting at their left back.

Within two minutes, Zenga's low shot - a 0.62xG chance - was saved at the near post but Fusari headed in from the resulting corner after finding some space at the far post. Our lead was doubled thanks to an unbelievable volley from Sottil, with Gavi equally his assist tally from last season inside fifteen minutes of this one. Both Sottil and Zenga had shots that crashed into the bar before half time as we were relentless, not allowing our opponents to attempt a shot despite having 61% of the ball. The second half started as the first did: an early goal, this time from the penalty spot as Speranza was felled, allowing Sottil to double his tally. I tried to get Zenga on the penalty but had already instructed his substitution before the highlight - bringing a pretty poor opening day to and end and allowing Costa the minutes he deserves. Carvalho got himself on the scoresheet with a powerful shot thanks to some nice build up play from 16-year old sub Pacifico and Gavi - who secured a second assist.

A resounding victory and one that we need to build on a the season goes on. We looked sharp and well drilled; it was clear that the pre-season had done wonders for our fitness and form whilst Parma's shorter one with mixed results hadn't been quite so benefecial. A quiet word with Zenga about the chances he squandered went down really well and I envisage that the forward will return to form very shortly.

In other player news, Filippo Fontana had a dream debut, creating a goal for Udinese as they drew with Lecce, and the rest of the loanees kicked off their seasons - which will hopefully be huge in their development and the long term development of players and, (to a secondary degree) the finances of our club.

---

September brings us a nice array of fixtures and will also see us enter the Europa League, meaning games against Inter - in particular - will be key as we'll likely have tired legs. Looking at the impact of the new training schedule, my U20 squad seems to have taken well to it and I look forward to seeing the longer term impacts of it.

42f078cf4f55915314d391d96cb0e125.png

Forza La Dea!

Seems you've hit a real groove here and it makes for an incredibly satisfying read. Specifically enjoyed the bit about U20 training and how it seems to be going well already. It's the little things.

Looking forward to more as always!

4 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Seems you've hit a real groove here and it makes for an incredibly satisfying read. Specifically enjoyed the bit about U20 training and how it seems to be going well already. It's the little things.

Looking forward to more as always!

Thanks! I do love the little things. I've had all afternoon to play and have the next month complete already and I must say that things are moving quite smoothly across the whole club.

September 2030

The start of the month saw my Europa League fixtures announced:

2750e8185ef3c621a0e253a89d6627ad.png

Der BVB - despite having fallen away of late - are obviously the best team in my fixture list and I am excited to pit ourselves against a team of a similar stature and quality. Away trips to Piraeus and Vienna will always be tough as will with visit of Fener, who have recorded a title win and a second place in the two years since I left Turkey. Saint Etienne were promoted in the 2028/29 season and finished ninth last year but secured entry on the back of winning the Coupe de France - so are, surely, not the strongest French team we could face. Olympiakos are under the management of Roberto De Zerbi - a real life (and FM) inspiration but are very much second fiddle in Greece financially to AEK, who are now tycoon owned and throwing money at everything! However, the side from outskirt of Athens have won all but one Greek title since the game started, although haven't performed as well as they'd have liked in the Champions League.

It's slightly fortunate that we only have one group stage game this month but could be playing two or three matches a month up until the final, held at the Gary Speed Park in May next year. Looking at the qualifiers, I'd consider ourselves to be in the top five or six favourites, definitely. It's one of those competitions that I'd love to win now simply because, as we progress, we won't get the chance again as (hopefully) we'll be playing Champions League football.

As the transfer window closes, it's a good time to round up a few deals across the game world:

ca2ebc2655106be0ff100dea0f7cba7d.png

Serie A spending is quite low but it's Bayern who are the biggest spenders over the summer, making an absolute mockery of West Ham with this deal for Dennis Seimen. Newgens are now starting to dominate the leading transfers of 2030, topped by West Ham's monstrous deal for a Chelsea player who didn't even get any first team football. They've been tycoon owned for three years but it's funny that the Duarte deal - massively inflated in price - preceded the announcement for funding to be scaled down and then the sale of Seimen for (comparative) pennies. Bournemouth, who finished fifteenth in the Premier League spent big on Pedro Neto from Wolves to add to Melayro Bogarde and Lisandro Martinez in a window where Steven Gerrard just threw money at things and Curtis Jones swapped Merseyside for the blue half on Manchester and will slide into a team with Foden, Yeremy Pino, Rodri, Christopher Nkunku and Rabby Mateta Pepa or company.

None of these deals make it into the leading transfer list: topped by Lautaro Martinez who went a whole season without starting a game at Man City - 11G, 1A from 0(22) in his first season - before moving to Arsenal for a staggering €130m loss. Declan Rice is still a Galactico, Patrik Schick is now at Stoke in the Championship and  Jarrod Bowen is a bit part player at PSG. To think, I questioned a €9.5m deal in the summer!

Our wage bill suggests that we are around the middle of the financial pack and I now hope that I can push us on by making the most of the players I have on the pitch.

---

Serie A: Udinese vs Atalanta.

bbc7c91e5900f19f30eeda8dc8d9339a.png

In the run up to the game, I was pleased to see that Marzio Zenga had taken the constructive criticism on board and knuckled down in training - below - with my staff reporting that he was at his best and would therefore, retain his starting spot but receive some personal feedback prior to the game. I made two changes: one enforced as the return to fitness for Wisdom Amey came at a good time as there was an injury to Speranza, which will keep him out for a while and Daniel Ferreira, who replaced Ederson. I knew Daniele De Rossi has a possession hungry side and, apparently, Serie A loans aren't automatically ineligible to play against parent clubs so it appeared I'd be facing Filippo Fontana: the only time I'm wishing that he has a mare. The hosts were without a win in seven whilst we were unbeaten in eight.

87e21f34f8bdf28b8f650d7425ed3121.png

Our hot start continued as Sottil tucked away a Carvalho through ball with just over a minute on the clock and before the hosts had actually touched the ball. We dominated the remainder of the first half, chalking up 1.06xG to their 0.27 but failed to add any more goals. Another harsh word to Zenga - who recorded a 6.5 rating by half time - had him 'Fired Up' for the second half. Out of nowhere, Udinese equalised and many of our heads were now anxious. A change to the entire front five did nothing as we limped to a draw, dropping points against a team I'd have expected and wanted to beat. 

A twelve gap before our next Serie A fixture and a chance for Zenga, in particular, to find his groove whilst with the Italy U21 side. 0.89 xG/90 is a fantastic return, but now he just needs to find the back of the net. He may be front and centre in these past few posts but, as my leading striker, I need a lot from but fully believe he is capable of that. I also took some time to talk to Fusari about the quality of his heading, and he admitted that it needed improving. I have no idea (or concrete evidence for or against) if these actually have an impact on player performance but I will try and track and find out. He's never been amazing in the air but should be registering a better return that 16% completion, given that his last game was at 70%: it is also worth noting that Fontana (Udinese) is 6'1" and Botheim (Parma) is 6'0"  so there wasn't a huge height disadvantage compared to his 6'0" frame and both were listed as DLF - so it's not like they're being targeted to win headers. Elsewhere,  I know we are only two games in but the start that Sottil (whose Dad managers Udinese currently in real life) has had has been insane and his performances have kept Francesco Lanzo, another bright academy prospect, out of the side.

---

Some really promising news about two loanees at Modena:

6f6dd3e5e7348ae2d5fc0bf2d7d67363.png

Therefore, I decided to attend their tie with Cremonese. Luca played high and wide on the opposite side to other loanee Memaj and both were decent if a little more risk averse than I'd like them to be with the former completing 37 of 43 passes with Memaj completing 40 of his 43 - clearly favouring backwards of square balls instead of incisive through balls. Lassina won 100% of his seven aerial duels, two of which were 'key' and completed 48 of 67 passes from his 'no nonsense CB' role, which, in my opinion, does mean he's more likely to clear the ball long rather than looking for a teammate. He also completed five interceptions and was a key part in their clean sheet, finishing with a 7.4 Average Rating.

I also took in two Italy U21 internationals, with a number of my players on duty as well as a few old faces for the Turkey U21 squad.

491e2d8cd1c1b2ff1a86aea9f84aa607.png

Ferraroli and Lanzo both had ninety minutes in the win over Turkey, which started with an own goal from Ali Inal, the most promising defender I managed whilst at Trabzonspor but there was no time for Zenga, who was an unused sub. He did, however, start against Finland along side Lanzo - back on the right wing instead of the left - and Valtulina and was rewarded with a goal, tucking away a Lanzo cutback.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Cagliari.

eca530d16ea9652a3f66eed13b3d7912.png

Serie A football is back at the Gewiss Stadium for the 2030/31 season!

Cagliari came into this off the back of a 1-1 draw with Bologna and a 3-1 defeat at home to Lecce. All three of Lecce's goals came in the second half and all came from inside the area (goal onegoal two and goal three) with a clear weakness coming down their left hand side when looking at passes completed, dribbles and key passes. It's rare that I look an opponent for weakness, rather than looking at what they're good at and adjusting my own style. I think that our natural style will help overload on the right, where they appear to be weakest. I made a two changes: Costa in for Zenga and Ederson back in for Ferreira. Stern words were to be had with centre back Fusari before kick off as Cagliari's forward, Da Graca, stands at 6'1" and both wide men are natural wingers, indicating that they may look to feed him in the box.

It was a pretty low quality game with only a moment of magic from Carvalho freeing up Gavi, who opened his account for the season. He then was felled and won a penalty early in the second half. My decision to assign the penalty to Costa backfired as his effort was tamed and easily tipped to the side by their keeper. Once again, absolutely rock solid defensively but not quite firing up top - we are creating the chances but are yet to put one away. It was interesting, for me, to watch Marzio Zenga's body language after he came on - it's just not worked out for him yet in the opening three matches but surely will!

c2cc774873e97c3eeede981e669f45cb.png

I did take in an U20 fixture the day after though and was reminded that we both have an amazing talent factory and that the tactic does provide goals! They've quickly risen to the top of the U20 division, dispelling worries I had about their squad depth.

---

UEFA Europa League Group Phase: St-Etienne vs Atalanta.

cd3c36f8dd0f7d070650975f8d083561.png

Interestingly, for me, we're not used to Thursday fixtures so I've had to have a little rethink about how this looks. Unfortunately, we do face Inter in the second game of the week. We have a little bit of time earlier in the week to get into some proper training but, by Sunday - when, hopefully, we play our second game - we'll definitely have more fatigue. I've decided to really play this on the opponent - using the start of the week to work on our attacking areas (Attacking Wings, Attacking Direct, Shadow Play, Transition - Press) or our defensive areas (Defending Disengaged, Defending from the Front, Shadow Play, Transition -  Restrict) as well as a bit of Match Prep.

84dd7de16ce71f579aafab1f2c34e79b.png

It then also led me to learn a little about the blocks, above.  Match Preview (left) with Match Tactics (right) both pretty much do the same thing, with tactics using a little extra in terms of condition with the added advantage that Match Tactics improves two attributes, too - both of which are key to me. Therefore, it makes sense to do a heavier session at the start of the week and the lighter one at the end. I have also considered whether these are absolutely necessary and whether I should just attempt to be really clever and do a full two days of heavy training with one or two Match Prep blocks in but then ensure that I am manually resting those players involved for longer periods during the midweek fixtures. Right now, I am trying to get some match fitness by using the U20 team and arranging friendlies to get them minutes but I am also concerned that there are going to be those backup players who are just doing a lot of Match Prep in this week and not using it. I don't know (and don't want to 'game it') how long the Match Prep effect 'lasts for' but, surely, if a player works on their Attacking Movement on a Wednesday, it's still going to have some impact come Sunday?

520c3f3e3619af883c34fcc61982f4d8.png

Ederson opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Zenga was fouled (why can't I claim this as an assist to get his AR up?!) before Carvalho scored a superb freekick from just by the D. A very much rotated team for this one but I'm sure that this will change as we face off against tougher opposition. We're joined on three points by the likes of Spurs, Villarreal, Dortmund and The New Saints, who have come through eight games to reach this stage - opening with a win at home to Georgian side Dinamo Batumi. They face Maribor, Saint-Etienne, PAOK, Rapid Wien, APOEL, Betis and Olympiakos next so I don't envisage their tally being added to much more.

---

Serie A: Atalanta vs Inter.

daa8c16db71ce681d9dad44c63a86886.png

As a Villa fan, I've read a lot over the past two days or so about our overachievement and that our xG stats are lying because we've outscored them yet our xGA is considerable higher than our actual goals conceded. I feel that this is very much the same kind of thing - we should have won this one and the stats are lying! Inter's goals were both contentious in my opinion: an offside from Skriniar that was looked at by VAR but allowed and I assume that this is due to the graphical modelling of the game rather than them allowing an actual offside and a penalty which even the commentary said looked harsh!  Granted, they did create 1.76 non-Pen xG - considerably more than our last three league games put together, but we defended resolutely. There is little on either their key passes or shot map that worries me greatly: conceding chances from corners isn't great but I can't grow this team in the next month or so and it's just a case of getting acquainted through Set Piece blocks and then the key passes through the middle are largely down to our playing style - two aggressive centre mids will always leave us short. I did, however, experiment with a 4-2-2-2 shape, one that I've used before. It brought us the goal as, in this move, Carvalho finds Zenga with a lovely through ball. Defensively, the double pivot would help protect against those key passes but I was too cautious and switched back to the one up top after each goal, ensuring that we had more bodies back.

We can leave with our heads held very high. Inter didn't deserve this. This is probably the first time I've taken the game to one of the bigger clubs, instead of being somewhat pragmatic. I don't like conceding goals and our game is built around not doing that but we could be on to something...It does then also awaken my thoughts to more reactive formations - going a goal up, or chasing a goal. I do have other shapes and styles loaded but I've pretty much banked on my own formation, with instructional changes, being enough and I am becoming convinced it may not be.

---

Serie A: Lazio vs Atalanta.

bfa95c6863fab5dc2467783bb5801ee6.png

All of a sudden, Zenga's outputs look top class again!

A game in which we really played quite well and should have scored more. Zenga opened the scoring from a beautifully weight Gavi through ball before laying on Sottil himself to put us ahead before half time. Sottil failed to net from the spot as we continued or woe from twelve yards but the big area of concern, for me, is the amount of xGA - for the second game in a row. Lazio had a couple of high xG chances, with both front point blank range missing the target - however, it is interesting that, in both moves (one and two) we have failed to deal with a ball coming into the box. That is interesting given that the back four has not changed but the man ahead of them, Pilenga, has. I took a look at all of their completed crosses (e.g: onetwothree and four) and the conclusion I came to is that they all stem from a long ball from the back that is allowed to be brought down and, given the space that it creates, find a man in the box. That, to me, points to one man - Cristian Pilenga. As a HB(d), I want him as the extra man, particularly here against a two man strike force, but, looking at where he has gained possession and his touches, there is a big void in the middle.

4cdfe50850a396e111291056a0d5fa92.png

My staff reckon he's familiar with the role, so I do wonder what it is. I had an issue with the ratings of Torreira during pre-season and now I have an issue with the in-game positioning of Pilenga (despite it not being considered a weakness for him), so I need to act upon it. I can then, of course, go back to the heading issue (see Okoli's and Fusari's recent form - showing that only one of the two is doing well here), which isn't helping when the crosses are coming in.

---

Serie A: Verona vs Atalanta.

d8dba93dbdb8e86532ff8fecfe5fdb5b.png

Sort the one end out at the detriment to the other!

An absolutely turgid affair where we let Verona have the ball - fine - but, when we had it created absolutely nothing. Ragatzu, to his credit, was the most creative - with two key passes but we just failed with the basics - Sottil was the only man to complete a cross, registering just 12% himself as Luciano Costa mustered just one shot at goal, that missed the target. My thoughts about using him as the number two striker over Sergio Camello are now being re-thought but, of course, the Spaniard needs time to regain match fitness. A point is a point and we're tracking slightly above our points tally from last season but we've not really had a complete game since the Parma tie - either attack or defence has been poor. 

---

938c9e391ea95c2eb19943ada30079db.png

My band of loanees (and yes, I've been asked about it in the media: 'is it too many?! How's the loan farm doing?' etc etc) have reached the end of their first month of professional football elsewhere and it is very much a mixed bag. I'm delighted to see that they're all getting first team football but their returns, right now, do not give me too much to shout about. 

0d612407829d4d3fca55cb248383512b.png  10bae9b258ea9ae57d3ce5d49f65aa71.png  de1dc058afdfbb071d98dc9e8ae4cef9.png

Player profiles can be accessed by clicking on the thumbnail.

Federico Bisio has been a bit of a bright spark though since his move to Serie B and is scoring and developing nicely for Crotone, who sit sixth. Alberto Bollini is a good youth developer and is affording my lad some playing time, which is great. Luca De Zerbi, in what must be considered a key year for him given Moleiro's announced departure, has started quite brightly. I like how he progresses the ball with dribbles but, as I saw watching him, I want him to do that with his passing, too. His Modena side are down in nineteenth in Serie B and are struggling to convert the chances he's creating for them. Lastly, Fontana has really struggled in Serie A but has just been awarded the Serie A U19 Player of the Month. An assist on debut has been followed by ratings of 6.4, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4 although he has racked up nearly 1.00xG from his six shots. Boldly, I decided to criticise his form and he took it well - so I shall look forward to seeing if he's got it in him to improve next month, considering he was very keen to impress when we spoke upon his departure for this loan.

Hopefully they can pick up in form as the year progresses and I can continue to detail those who are doing well.

---

3d985adeb3f776478c32db192f8a6ad2.png

A fairly decent start to the campaign and we sit inside the Champions League spaces, in, hopefully, a similar position to what we'll be in come the end of the season. Roma have started a little slower than they'd have liked and two of the surprises last season - Udinese and Lecce - are way down along with calamity club Napoli. I fully expect SPAL to fall back, although I did with Udinese last year and they didn't but I must contend with the two Milan clubs and Juve, again. Looking at the top scorers in this league, it's easy to see what I'm up against but I'm banking of my man Zenga appearing on that list before long. Creatively, Carvalho has been absolutely top draw and Gavi is really starting to find his feet in Italy.

October is nice, if you can say that about a Serie A and European schedule.

6ba9fe536f2ad96bdcb7bdc18a7bb075.png

Forza La Dea!

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

As a Villa fan, I've read a lot over the past two days or so about our overachievement and that our xG stats are lying because we've outscored them yet our xGA is considerable higher than our actual goals conceded

Just as I was praising TIFO's style that video dropped.  I am no longer using imaginary Jon Mackenzie's voice to help me edit my writing.  Despicable!!

Joking aside, it's a fair observation of how Emery has set us up to be defensively stout and then exploit space that opens up.  And it is probably fair that are parallels with your sides; who look to make the most of the game in transition and aren't overly concerned with dominating possession.  A solid start, and great results against Inter and Lazio.  Awesome seeing Gavi get into rhythm, too - I felt his goal & assist output was rather low last season considering his reputation, but looks like it just takes a little while for him to get used to the system.  Onwards and upwards!

October 2030

52a515b57ac23564b82281f8b1ef3810.png

Atalanta vs Fenerbahce | Atalanta vs Genoa | Atalanta vs Brescia | Rapid Wien vs Atalanta | Napoli vs Atalanta

The infuriating news to see that a Windows update has left me with none of the one-thousand plus words that I'd written for this month, so this short update will have to make do instead. However, it is somewhat of a blessing in disguise for a busy week where I've both been finishing off things for the skin and embroiled in the trials and tribulations of real life, it's a welcome distraction to get back to the game and write up a month that started really strong and then somewhat fizzled out at the end.

We started with a strong defensive showing as we welcomed Fener to Italy. Sadly, the build up contained absolutely no references to my own time in Turkey and my own hatred that I've built up against a club who, literally, robbed the Turkish title from my own Trabzon side! We limited them to chances but also looked somewhat toothless ourselves with a strong side out. Marzio Zenga celebrated his twenty-first birthday with a brace against Genoa in a game that was far more like our normal selves before we hammered Brescia, thanks to a Daniele Ragatzu masterclass saw. I had seen this tweet and felt that it very much reminded me of how Ragatzu plays:

9362b8273c92e9b4b8b936d4075c4e09.jpg

The next steps in this is to ensure that I can find him, draw the opposition in and still ensure out attacking phase is spread out, because he's top class with the ball at his feet.

From there on in, we've been poor! A heavily rotated side cost us against Rapid Wien as I think I may have not take the opponent quite as seriously as I should have: that'll certainly have to change if we continue our good form and progress into the knockout phases. Lastly, we were, once again, strong in the defensive phase against Napoli but lacked the firepower to break through. A point, on the road, is never a bad thing against a team with the stature of Napoli but I really had hoped for more.

f71720b1089ac30663985ec1280d5b89.png

That leaves us nicely positioning as we head into the winter months. We're one of the top five unbeaten sides but we've only played Inter out of the teams above us, in a game that we were unlucky not to have won. SPAL continue their early season good form as it's clear that the gap between Serie A and Serie B, should you have a tight-knit, cohesive squad, isn't that much whilst Napoli have quietly pulled themselves back towards the top after a couple of years of strife. It is only really Roma and last year's overachievers Lecce who have struggled, with a pretty familiar look to the table already appearing.

Marzio Zenga, Fabio Carvalho and Gavi are our representatives atop the player stats and they're all doing well. Despite his slow start, Marzio is growing into the role atop the formation as a key player and I can't speak highly enough about the creativity of Carvalho, who has just been rewarded with a call up to the Portugal squad as he looks to add to his three caps.

---

747b0aded1e9cf03a8cfb3d154c2f7ab.png

My band of loanees continue to do a variety of things whilst away from the club! Bisio netted a brace on two occasions, Fontana opened his Serie A account and Luca De Zerbi got his goalscoring underway with a fine hattrick. Elsewhere, the standard of performances has been, overall, pretty poor. I'm talking to these lads constantly but there isn't quite the option for 'buck your ideas up or this'll be your last season at this club! However, I'm open to include you if you're developing and playing well!'

Shame!

---

dda979fe7b72db293e45d555467534a4.png

Five fixtures in November as the Europa League pressure continues, below. We travel to Romania before we welcome der BVB to Italy in two pretty big ties in terms of deciding the outcome of the league phase. Sadly, I can't sacrifice too much against FCSB with such a tough tie in Turin a matter of days after but I believe that the Pisa line up, to round the month off, will be significantly different to that that starts against the German side.

c33c01e01fc6016d332433464cb2bc24.png

Forza La Dea!

49 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

From there on in, we've been poor!

Decent results regardless of performance is always a good sign; especially knowing that when it clicks in your system things go very well.

Also it seems criminal that Fabio Carvalho only has 3 caps - he was absolutely tearing it up last season!

38 minutes ago, GIMN said:

Decent results regardless of performance is always a good sign; especially knowing that when it clicks in your system things go very well.

Yeah - we're in second or third gear right now and that really excites me!

38 minutes ago, GIMN said:

Also it seems criminal that Fabio Carvalho only has 3 caps - he was absolutely tearing it up last season!

I think this may be why...

69051f8e2ec484cbba2e1e7c848d3f82.png

Portugal are absolutely stacked here and, as they seemingly play a deep 4-2-3-1, the likes of Ruben Neves and Florentino Luis have those spots, whilst the they have class here and the likes of Fernando look amazing, too.

I started to dig into Tactical Periodisation after seeing Ben using it and came across an interesting piece around how it adapts around 2 game weeks. There seems to be a higher intensity on the recovery day in the midweek (I'm assuming this is so players who didn't play the match or played very little have high intensity training whilst the others recover) and then there seems to be a favorability around having the "Speed" day which is around not only physical speed but mental speed ie decision making. 

47 minutes ago, Justified said:

I started to dig into Tactical Periodisation after seeing Ben using it and came across an interesting piece around how it adapts around 2 game weeks. There seems to be a higher intensity on the recovery day in the midweek (I'm assuming this is so players who didn't play the match or played very little have high intensity training whilst the others recover) and then there seems to be a favorability around having the "Speed" day which is around not only physical speed but mental speed ie decision making. 

I've considered using a slightly different approach on double match days. Let.s use this week as an example:

98d6384b99e8e7c31ee123572523dfc4.png

I have considered using a really physical approach on the Friday but then choosing to use the rest option for those who played more than 45 mins in the game the day before. Obviously, as I'm away, I get two sessions there rather than three and it's a really risky approach in case I forgot to do this but I think that it is slowly down the development of those who aren't playing much football as they're doing Recovery sessions each week despite not needing to recover from anything. I then would need to have a think about my Match Prep blocks only being on one day so that those resting still get them as well as considering the impact between Recovery/Rest for those who played in the midweek fixture.

November 2030

5abdeab91930f74f052b1404f7742473.png

FCSB vs Atalanta | Juventus vs Atalanta | Atalanta vs Sassuolo | Atalanta vs Dortmund

I'm going to maintain this update style for the next couple of months as I transition back into actually playing the game and reading the boards...

We started off the month with a trip to Romania where a strong side quite comfortably overcame our opposition. I was most impressed with how we've already create strong partnerships across the team and that is clearly evident by how we're playing. Whilst the result was never in doubt, I do have to mention the match momentum - which is, for me, a sign that my decisions were wrong. The game swung, not dangerously, but still sufficiently to cause issue, when I made all five subs at once and then ended with nearly 50% of the playing squad feeling complacent and happier to stay on the bench. Now, I am au fait with one way that substitutes can work - and that is to slow down and disrupt the play but that was not my intention in this game and I need to think how a) I can use the three stoppages more wisely and b) how I can ensure that my player are motivated, no matter the scenario or game. Still, 4-0 is a great return in a season where we haven't quite been as freely scoring a I'd like.

Back in league action and Endrick missed a great chance within two minutes to really wake me up to the difference in quality of opposition. Fortunately, Fabio Carvalho netted with a 30-yard screamer, showing the league why he's one of the best dead ball specialists as we took the lead before the half hour mark. It was a tight game, with neither side wanting to give much but in the end it came down to shooting - a 0.33xG chance against a 0.01xG goal was all the difference. This is, really, the first time where I've not felt somewhat pragmatic in my selection away to a bigger team and - through both an intended change in course and a reduction in game time used to analyse my opposition - went with the normal set up and approach. This time, it has been vindicated: my first win over Juve and only Atalanta's third since 2022 keeps us very much in the pack at the top of the table.

The Portuguese phenomenon saved us again against my old team, Sassuolo as he netted well after his original shot hit the post. The game still has a fundamental issue - in my perspective - that they class this as two xG chances - a 0.40xG shot that hit the post and a 0.42xG shot that went in. Now, if he'd missed the initial shot - and, let's say, it was a 0.91xG chance, the total xG for this goal would be 1.33xG - and you can't be expected to score more than one goal from one chance! I'm sure someone can come and explain if that impression is incorrect. However, it did seal us the three points.

We clung on against BVB to maintain our unbeaten record and put ourselves in a decent position to qualify directly for the knockout phase. Carnesecchi's penalty save was the highlight for us as, once again, my defenders are (unfairly) marked down due to our overall lack of possession and playing style which sees them contest very few tackling opportunities. I have serious concerns that these low ratings, along with the low body language that it brings, is going to seriously cost us at times this season.

---

6c9c489d890506f7dd0d0c278f5afcd7.png

I certainly feel like we're moving towards that top four pack that are breaking away from the rest of the league, which is exactly where I want to be. As mentioned in last month's update, it's only really Roma who are missing from that picture as Napoli, with ex-boss Andre Villas Boas now at Villa, have stuttered with only two wins in their last five as they looked to bridge the gap to where they used to belong. No league goals this month for Marzio Zenga sees him lose ground in the race for the top scorer as the evergreen Dusan Vlahovic and Luis Suarez (not him) lead the way and Gav's sudden loss of form and injury in the final game mean he's no nowhere to be seen on the assist column, although Fabio Carvalho is putting space between himself and the rest of the league as he demonstrates that he is an elite player. The only issue is that he's now beginning to get unsettled over demands of a €200k+ p/w contract, something that I'm not going to budge on.

I have kept a little comparison between this season and last and I'm really happy with the the start we've had. This time last year we hadn't played Juventus but had lost to Milan and drawn to Inter. Therefore, our four points from six to the one point from six shows a clear bit of progress, season on season. We're also still unbeaten this season but had lost three from our first thirteen to the end of November last year. 

---

133156b8290c4fd7570d260b341fcc39.png

One of the longer term projects for this Atalanta side is to improve the number of players developed by me that go on to have strong careers elsewhere. Currently, with twenty three players over the age of 21 playing in Serie A - some of those with us - we're not quite where I want us to be. It's clear that we've produced some absolutely elite talent and have had a knack, in the past, for picking up youngsters - Dejan Kulusevski and Frank Kessie are two great examples, with the latter still at Barca now. However, deeper than the likes of Bastoni and Melegoni, who have both made decent careers at this level, there is little else to shout about:

0cf26f888d5c236effb346a898a74102.png

----

508437f8cefe620944b55cbcdc1b5e20.png

b46269cbe350724974587bc1c646ec7b.png

With the transfer window nearing its opening, I always enjoy taking a look at the transfer rumours across countries where I have vested interest in players: Italy, Spain, Portugal and South America. It's always interesting to see what other teams are up to and that exact move has led me to uncovering Adrian Campagnaro, from the depths of the Argentine fourth tier. We have absolutely no ability to develop a strong scouting system in these local leagues so I need to be clever: either using the springboard to another domestic team as proof they are good or by utilising their scouting knowledge in an unofficial way. It's - in my eyes - super unrealistic to look through the player search at players who have a 'Wnt' symbol next to their name to spot these clubs, so jumping on the back of some utterly random transfer gossip in The Athletic is a more realistic measure for me. However, as you can see with the link below - a €4.1m for an eighteen year old in the second tier of Argentina - some of the reports are way off the mark!

I will need to look at our January transfer window, firstly to fill the gap created by the decline of Torreira but to also ensure my quest for excellence is shared out, and that we have no weak links within the squad. Currently, I feel that we do:

a7ab88876f80b141e42ed7b53f0ed779.png

It's a lot for Jonny - a 21 year old Uruguayan - to swap his domestic league, move to Italy and settle in, whilst performing well, but, to be fair, he's really struggled. He's not offered anywhere near what I'd like offensive - particularly compared to Pellegrini (0.17 xA/90, 0.01 nPxG/90, 0.65 shots/90) and has suffered from not being able to offer a specialism like his counterpart, who often takes my corners. 

I have a couple of decisions to make - I'm sure he's good enough but I need to decide whether to persist with him in (even more of a) backup role to Pellegrini whilst he gets comfortable with my style and the country or whether a short term loan would allow him to get up to speed adequately ready to return next season and put pressure on an aging Pellegrini, who won't be around forever. If I opt for the second option I will, of course, be forced to dip into the transfer market and I'm still not entirely sure where I need to strategise the €20m-ish that is available to me aside from the DM role.

fc7635131be536cfe1ca0ed1f25a2575.png

Full profile can be found by clicking the thumbnail.

I have already prized open the owners' checkbook and spent €1.5m on a young Peruvian, Piero Benedetti, who, as the name may give away, holds an Italian passport. The youngster is at the famed Cantolao academy and has recently broken into the first team. Despite that, he's very much a player for the future as I'll bring him in and probably send him out on loan to attempt to avoid issues like the above. Arriving when he turns eighteen in the summer, I see the left sided playmaker as an ideal replacement/rotation for Gavi and Ragatzu and it further cements my want to sign youngsters for the future.

---

76a64216802a5f69855c77c088529a75.png

Again, a very mixed bag in terms of the loanees' form. De Zerbi is really starting to develop now and will hopefully be able to make the step up to the first team next season after demonstrating his Dribbling ability in Serie B; his next job will be to add in some precise passing and chance creation in our system, where he'll likely play in the CM(a) role. Bisio is now three without a goal so it'll be interesting to see how the youngster takes a small barren spell as he's certainly hit the ground running. The older players, in particular Scopece, are struggling and I really feel that the Avellino full back could be on his way out after really not impressing me. Given the left back issues I have within the first team, this isn't ideal...

---

c4a61e5f812bf1d0b136f6cd7148c338.png

A busy December with these five plus SPAL on 21st December, before we break for Christmas. However, we're in good form and fear nobody. The Olympiakos tie has suddenly become a really important fixture, given their strong start, but I am relaxed in the knowledge that our final two fixtures are against WSG Tirol and APOEL - both at home with the latter sitting bottom of the group phase.

Forza La Dea!

5 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I've considered using a slightly different approach on double match days. Let.s use this week as an example:

98d6384b99e8e7c31ee123572523dfc4.png

I have considered using a really physical approach on the Friday but then choosing to use the rest option for those who played more than 45 mins in the game the day before. Obviously, as I'm away, I get two sessions there rather than three and it's a really risky approach in case I forgot to do this but I think that it is slowly down the development of those who aren't playing much football as they're doing Recovery sessions each week despite not needing to recover from anything. I then would need to have a think about my Match Prep blocks only being on one day so that those resting still get them as well as considering the impact between Recovery/Rest for those who played in the midweek fixture.

Question, apart from potentially Pre-Season, do you feel "Match Review" is in keeping with Tactical Periodisation? I feel that with everything I've read it'd be a no-no however it depends if you're "playing the game" or sticking to the principal. From what I've read, the game is gone so focus should be back to training ground not on what's happened previous. Pre-Season I'd understand because you're working towards tactical understanding and "Match Review" would be a part of that so players can analyze performance and get better.

58 minutes ago, Justified said:

Question, apart from potentially Pre-Season, do you feel "Match Review" is in keeping with Tactical Periodisation? I feel that with everything I've read it'd be a no-no however it depends if you're "playing the game" or sticking to the principal. From what I've read, the game is gone so focus should be back to training ground not on what's happened previous. Pre-Season I'd understand because you're working towards tactical understanding and "Match Review" would be a part of that so players can analyze performance and get better.

I would say it's certainly a game thing. The concept is the day post match is pure rest (but it doesn't stipulate whether that is for the whole squad) so does, again, build into that concept of some physical work for the non-regulars on the day after whilst the others rest. I'll see if I can dig a bit deeper - do some more reading and maybe include a post on it in an update this season where I try it out.

From what I've read, and it could be wrong of course, the allocated "rest day" after a match after a whole weeks training is the whole squad. However this doesn't apply to double match weeks where the "Recovery Day" is applied. They're two different things as I've understood as Recovery Day is when the players who didn't play train at full intensity.

Happy to be corrected on this as I'm only just learning more about it.

I would think in todays era of tech that Match Review fits into a rest day. The performance analysts can email a video file of the match or segments of the match for the players to watch at home as a sort of combo match review/rest. 

True but I would say that the "Rest Day" within Tactical Periodisation has been described as both physical and mental rest and I can't see Match Review fitting in with that. However, it could fit in with the "Recovery Day" theoretically.