[FM23]Font issue in Social Feed

keysi

I decided to change the font for FM23 in my skin and I'm using SourceSansPro. It all worked/works well until last night when some error message appeared every time I open the News Feed screen in the game.

image.png.029f7f3907f3189590528947b55f745e.png

When I open the capitals.xml, there's nothing wrong in my eyes and it's absolutely the same as in the default file except the name of the font. When I close this warnings-and-errors popup window, it all works well and font(s) displays as normal. But I would like to know what can be wrong. When I remove the edited fonts folder and I revert it back, it works without it.

Maybe some of you will have better eyes and will spot the issue. Thanks

image.png.a968d6f8fef93f4843f2c8a851ce14a5.png

Edited by keysi

• keysi changed the title to [FM23]Font issue in Social Feed
3 hours ago, keysi said:

I decided to change the font for FM23 in my skin and I'm using SourceSansPro. It all worked/works well until last night when some error message appeared every time I open the News Feed screen in the game.

image.png.029f7f3907f3189590528947b55f745e.png

When I open the capitals.xml, there's nothing wrong in my eyes and it's absolutely the same as in the default file except the name of the font. When I close this warnings-and-errors popup window, it all works well and font(s) displays as normal. But I would like to know what can be wrong. When I remove the edited fonts folder and I revert it back, it works without it.

Maybe some of you will have better eyes and will spot the issue. Thanks

image.png.a968d6f8fef93f4843f2c8a851ce14a5.png

This might be a stupid question, but it is there definitely a SemiBold version of the font?  Looking at the original capitals.fontxml I can see it uses the regular version of GT America Standard

2 hours ago, GIMN said:

This might be a stupid question, but it is there definitely a SemiBold version of the font?  Looking at the original capitals.fontxml I can see it uses the regular version of GT America Standard

Tried to change all the fonts files including "SourceSansPro-SemiBold" to "SourceSansPro-Regular" and the error message is now this. It tells me the same even if I revert just that capitals.xml file to the default.

I deleted all the fonts folder and add there the fonts from FM22 with a different font files. And it happens too.

I will probably have to use a different font.

image.png.ded041e59a2fb2d3a2af6c9b2dde407b.png

4 hours ago, BuzzR said:

In Notepad++ try enabling : View / Show Symbol / Show All Characters.

Maybe you have a strange character on that line.  

Thanks for the tip, I don't see anything wrong.

image.png.90bcc9a182afe9fc2b292fc6db1e9ccf.png

35 minutes ago, bluestillidie00 said:

can you zip your fonts folder and upload them (send to me if you don't wanna post publicly)

Thank you ;)fonts.zip

34 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Also.. there is a difference between your notepad++ capitals.fontxml file and the one from the error message. Is the game opening a different file ?

I currently have no idea, especially as I didn't have an issue with this kind of screen before, especially with some font. I didn't edit something if I remember it right. But it's logical the game reads something different here probably as it works properly when I use the default fonts.

This might seem silly but, with other modding I do, sometimes copying and pasting into code doesn’t get read properly. I have to manually type the code I want.

So, on the file in question I would personally try extracting the default file again and then manually typing in the name of the font you want.

Probably way off but thought I would mention it. I have never encountered this issue with skinning, but you never know …

2 hours ago, Tyburn said:

This might seem silly but, with other modding I do, sometimes copying and pasting into code doesn’t get read properly. I have to manually type the code I want.

So, on the file in question I would personally try extracting the default file again and then manually typing in the name of the font you want.

Probably way off but thought I would mention it. I have never encountered this issue with skinning, but you never know …

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, extracted the default fonts and rewrite, but maybe I will have to make it again and try it again as it's the last thing before I can say my FM23 skin is finished within main parts. I really didn't expect something like this :)

8 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Ha. I have Cabin as a font choice too. Quite like it. Currently using one called Liberation. Very similar to Cabin but a bit sharper and punchier (if that makes sense).

That's similar to Robot what I see. I will try to rewrite everything with the SourceSansPro to see what was wrong but you were probably right that something was wrong between the chair and the table in combination with the default fonts :)

Are you replacing GT America Standard completely?  If so, does it work if you rename SourceSansPro to GT America Standard and put it in the fonts folder (how I've lazily changed fonts in the past)

7 minutes ago, GIMN said:

Are you replacing GT America Standard completely?  If so, does it work if you rename SourceSansPro to GT America Standard and put it in the fonts folder (how I've lazily changed fonts in the past)

Yes, I moved the complete default 'fonts' folder to my skin, opened all the files in the notepad and replaced every GT America Standard with SourceSansPro (or with Roboto in the past) and I only rewrite Regular and Bold where it was needed. It takes some time (10 minutes?) to rewrite and save but it's better than to change the font name in every single file/panel I would say.

1 hour ago, keysi said:

Yes, I moved the complete default 'fonts' folder to my skin, opened all the files in the notepad and replaced every GT America Standard with SourceSansPro (or with Roboto in the past) and I only rewrite Regular and Bold where it was needed. It takes some time (10 minutes?) to rewrite and save but it's better than to change the font name in every single file/panel I would say.

Ah apologies, I wasn't clear.  I don't mean changing GT America Standard to SourceSansPro in the xmls.  I mean renaming the font SourceSansPro to GT America Standard.  For example:

image.png.d58eb879ae9622e132e73e7c230595f6.png

That font is not GT America Standard.  It's an entirely different font that's just been renamed - that way I don't have to go through all the fontxml files and change the font over. 

It's very lazy - and wouldn't be something I'd do if I was releasing it with a different font (a bit of a kick in the teeth to the font creator) - but has served me fine for doing stuff myself.

Edited by GIMN

7 hours ago, GIMN said:

Ah apologies, I wasn't clear.  I don't mean changing GT America Standard to SourceSansPro in the xmls.  I mean renaming the font SourceSansPro to GT America Standard.  For example:

image.png.d58eb879ae9622e132e73e7c230595f6.png

That font is not GT America Standard.  It's an entirely different font that's just been renamed - that way I don't have to go through all the fontxml files and change the font over. 

It's very lazy - and wouldn't be something I'd do if I was releasing it with a different font (a bit of a kick in the teeth to the font creator) - but has served me fine for doing stuff myself.

I never think about making it in this way, it's surely a lot easier :)