*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

On 15/12/2022 at 22:55, Finners said:

Please, please, please can you "adjust" the frequency of the "OH MY GOSH, A NEW POSITION!?!" line of questioning during press conferences.

It feels like you've fallen in to that classic game designer trap of "we've thought of a new idea, lets use it a lot!"

It's nice to have some new questions to freshen up press conferences but I feel like it's being used out of context in a way that's forced. If I put a player in a new and unusual position, particularly one he's not familiar with at all, then I understand. But it seems to spam me with the question after every single match just because I'm playing a player in any position other than their natural one.

In my current save I'm getting asked after almost every match at the moment about my Trequartista and Mezzala (both Accomplished at CAM and CM respectively) and we're 18 games in to the season and they've played 17 and 16 games solidly in those roles in exactly the same formation. I feel like the sentiment you were going for isn't exactly what's being communicated. 

As a follow up to this, can we not also agree that if you make a small tactical adjustment in-game in reaction to a situation (moving a player to a more defensive role for five minutes to close out a match for example) that it really isn't worthy of being asked repeatedly in the press conference afterwards if I think I was "throwing mud at a wall to see what would stick" by giving him a new role. 

Honestly, the obsession with this line of questioning is so over-done and is really tanking whatever immersion was in press conferences anyway.

I appreciate it's got to be really difficult to make that part of the game interesting when you've got players racking up hundreds of hours of Football Manager ever year and the press conferences are before and after almost every match they play but this feels so horrendously forced.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Lpool1 said:

Are we getting a update b4 Xmas? This stutter is ridiculous. Only when play in big stadiums it’s becoming ridiculous now was fine b4 update... I’ve been posting here since update now been nearly 4 weeks... and a lot of us can’t play the game we purchased to full effect? Is the acceptable? I’ve done everything you suggested an sega suggest the same thing.. so are we just ment to put up with it?

Have you tried removing ads? A lot of people have had success fixing the issue by taking out the in game ad boards

2 hours ago, Finners said:

As a follow up to this, can we not also agree that if you make a small tactical adjustment in-game in reaction to a situation (moving a player to a more defensive role for five minutes to close out a match for example) that it really isn't worthy of being asked repeatedly in the press conference afterwards if I think I was "throwing mud at a wall to see what would stick" by giving him a new role. 

Honestly, the obsession with this line of questioning is so over-done and is really tanking whatever immersion was in press conferences anyway.

I appreciate it's got to be really difficult to make that part of the game interesting when you've got players racking up hundreds of hours of Football Manager ever year and the press conferences are before and after almost every match they play but this feels so horrendously forced.

Or being asked about playing a European opponent back to back in the Europa league,  erm that's what happens in the matches,  you play hame one week and away the next. Or when you sign a midfielder and get asked what his best position is, or do you see him playing elsewhere on the pitch, eh no, he's a midfielder. 

Have to put this down and hope until a patch comes out to make this game make sense because at this point the game is a joke and no longer fun, consistent or rewarding

Away games are clearly way too overpowered and unbalanced. Just played a game where leading awaye comfortably dominating with 1 nil, but can't score the second due to insane rng where players are hitting the woodwork goalkeeper becomes super man so I'm preparing for an equaliser., the home team gets a player sent off so adjust instructions to take advantage of the space where the opposition is vunerable. This has no effect on what plays out on the field as the AI home team still manages to score 3 goals inside the last 15 minutes while dominating with a man down, Every time I've had a man sent off in this game, the whole gameplan goes out of the window and I'd be lucky not to hold on to a lead let alone avoid a loss. It's a farce how advantagous home advantage is.

14 hours ago, Ferocious289 said:

Have you tried removing ads? A lot of people have had success fixing the issue by taking out the in game ad boards

Dont call that success though really . Having to take something out of a game , that is part of the game , just to make it playable.  This is very poor form by SI development.  Its been 3 weeks since the update so you can't tell me they havnt fixed it . But instead of having a hot fix they hang on to it till January update.  

1 hour ago, alian62 said:

Dont call that success though really . Having to take something out of a game , that is part of the game , just to make it playable.  This is very poor form by SI development.  Its been 3 weeks since the update so you can't tell me they havnt fixed it . But instead of having a hot fix they hang on to it till January update.  

It’s not even a fix pal... it’s better with them off but still jerks in big stadiums. An agree completely with you. This is the worst attempt of fm by a long long way. Am 35 been playing this game religiously for 20 years an this is what we get for are money! It’s not good enough a apology they could bring out a hotfix enjoy your turkey with are money because next year definitely won’t be getting my money!

6 hours ago, kepz said:

wasn't there supposed to be a defensive football overhaul? keeping clean sheets seems impossible. 

Is there some sort of "Expected Average" when it comes to clean sheets?  In a 38 game season you should have X, in a 28 game season you should have Y?  

I still can't get over how dissappointed I am with the recent update.

I was actually thinking that the ME it's the best it's ever been, and I could finally see a tactic with  two IFs/IWs work and those playing like they do in real life. Now it's like everything reverted and IFs/IWs are just bad wingers like in previous FMs. Even AI controlled big teams struggle with less than 10 goals per season for their IFs/IWs and Mbappe/Salah/Haaland with less than 20 goals per season. It's depressing.

On 20/12/2022 at 11:05, GOODNAME said:

There will no be any ME patch until February

All years there are only 2 patches to the ME , in December and in February.

We are actually a patch behind as the full release this year was on the Beta Match engine.

I also don't think its appropriate to give Si a 'free pass' until February based on previous behaviours, there are clearly major issues with the current version of the game which should be patched as a matter of urgency regardless of what's happened on previous versions of the game.

7 hours ago, alian62 said:

No its not but you can replace the adds

On 21/12/2022 at 03:19, Etebaer said:

Imho the 3D Match presentation is better than ever (presentation the key word - how smooth it looks, more animations etc.).

As i only started recently its to early to have any conclusions about realism etc.

I use the realism pack, names mod and the german lower league mod and start in Tier 6 - as Semi Pro Team with a pay per play Team and no contracting ability in this Tier 6 it is ruthless playergrabbing.

I dont know the state of CaC, it stopped working with mods a few version of FM ago and i have to use the ingame editor for my colours and kit, stil can not use another generic Club-emblem while the editor is quite more expensive this year.

I do not try the stand alone editor anymore since it never worked for me and messed up data and languages badly so i have given up on that one and not tested it ever since.

I had to this date no crash whatsoever.

I miss a "Light Skin" very badly but Mustermann has a data format in displaying player stats that is to spaced out - i like the classical one more as it gives me anything on a glimpse in a smal area and not spaced out over the whole screen.

Dark Skins mess up my eyesight after a short while and exhaust me early.

Pls bring back the Light Skin!

Maybe this skin is for u.

https://www.fmscout.com/a-ny-light-fm23-skin.html

39 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I have to agree with this. I don't see the reason to buy new games if the game continues in this direction. Every iteration seems the same with some tweaks that in some cases even make the game worse. i think for the next purchase, I will wait for some big overhaul in all departments, UI, 3D, 2D, ME and everything else. I don't want to give money to the company that does not even want to bother to make changes to the tactic screen for 3 years, this is just one small example, but I simply think with this direction, they don't deserve my money. ( I know they have good sale numbers and what I said means nothing to them )

2021.png.5a33655d6153eaac65440ece36c82291.png

2022.png.bda3f9e3c42767f8431c42729ee214f1.png

2023.png.0fd41af4e47af9a6966bad0df4cbe09d.png

Not entirely related to your comment, but I've always wondered what those two bars at the top right mean and where are they coming from. Like, what does it mean when the Intensity bar is 50% full? And where does the judgment on how "intense" a tactic is come from? Same for Familiarity, I understand these are real-life items, but I don't understand how they are presented in the game and how the in-game values of them map to values in real-life. And who is doing the mapping? The assistant manager?

It feels like a lot of things in FM come from basically one person's understanding of football, and if you don't match with that understanding, you're in for a bad time.

4 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

Not entirely related to your comment, but I've always wondered what those two bars at the top right mean and where are they coming from. Like, what does it mean when the Intensity bar is 50% full? And where does the judgment on how "intense" a tactic is come from? Same for Familiarity, I understand these are real-life items, but I don't understand how they are presented in the game and how the in-game values of them map to values in real-life. And who is doing the mapping? The assistant manager?

It feels like a lot of things in FM come from basically one person's understanding of football, and if you don't match with that understanding, you're in for a bad time.

You can hover over those two bars - gives a meaningful breakdown on familiarity. Intensity, just a description,  I guess it is based on tempo, pressing etc.

Just now, rp1966 said:

You can hover over those two bars - gives a meaningful breakdown on familiarity. Intensity, just a description,  I guess it is based on tempo, pressing etc.

Oh, I've learned how to use it in the game, but what I'm trying to say is it's basically an opinion of someone who made the game? If that makes sense? I know how to use it to my advantage, but I don't understand how they come up with values they do. This goes for a lot of things in the game, like mentality, or "be more expressive" instruction, off the top of my head.

49 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I have to agree with this. I don't see the reason to buy new games if the game continues in this direction. Every iteration seems the same with some tweaks that in some cases even make the game worse. i think for the next purchase, I will wait for some big overhaul in all departments, UI, 3D, 2D, ME and everything else. I don't want to give money to the company that does not even want to bother to make changes to the tactic screen for 3 years, this is just one small example, but I simply think with this direction, they don't deserve my money. ( I know they have good sale numbers and what I said means nothing to them )

2021.png.5a33655d6153eaac65440ece36c82291.png

2022.png.bda3f9e3c42767f8431c42729ee214f1.png

2023.png.0fd41af4e47af9a6966bad0df4cbe09d.png

Agree with the general sentiment of what you'd like to see change. Specifically on  UI I think it just needs to be made more efficient in a lot of places to improve workflow and reduce clicks (unfortunately many recent additions seem to be drastically increasing the number of clicks (e.g. meetings)) - need to find a balance between stylish game presentation and an efficient data dashboard.  As far as the tactics screen is concerned - I'm not sure that really needs to change that much.  It is effective and practical in allowing you to set things up. I would only expect a significant change if the way we build tactics was revised.

2 hours ago, Zoolok42 said:

Oh, I've learned how to use it in the game, but what I'm trying to say is it's basically an opinion of someone who made the game? If that makes sense? I know how to use it to my advantage, but I don't understand how they come up with values they do. This goes for a lot of things in the game, like mentality, or "be more expressive" instruction, off the top of my head.

Familiarity wise its the averages of the players on the field in the given areas

So, as an example, in my current setup (5-2-3 Vertical Tiki Taka Shorter passing, higher tempo, high defensive line, high press, trap outside)it's this:
image.png.f052d8ec8dd309e1e54a83ae7ab984d9.png

image.png.724945096f17fd952e0cbdc20c4894c9.png

It's my primary tactic, all my squads play it so all the players are familiar with it.

But say I replace one of my M(C)'s with a striker, it goes to 

image.png.184ffaeac0df45cbc7907fc6dbaadca1.png
image.png.2725fd5f9b28e8b781ab121bb1f3ad82.png

And the Position/Role/Duty went down.

If I switch to a formation I haven't trained 9442 Direct Counter, standard pass and tempo, low block and defensive line, drop off more) it goes to 

image.png.5052ac6b6659d9f816dd8969a04adf35.png

image.png.3f93b12f57e09ed78e1571995506a1e1.png

Usually you can hover over anything selectable and a popup will appear letting you know what it does, Be more expressive vs Be more disciplined as an example.

Jellico

image.png

Edited by Jellico73
edits

It's still just no good, in away games it feels like tactical input make absolutely no difference. The least interesting or enjoyable version of the game that's ever been released in the series. I cant think of a version that I've played so little.

First full season played - got promoted by a hair - points like FM22 but goals up to 4.5 vs 1.5 per match which is insane.

Center attacks with balls through/over the defense line are killing it the moment there is any space.

Dont know if it is a league issue and changes in higher tiers albeit i was quite successful in the cup against higher tier clubs also.

Visualy i have seen some wonderful attack moves also that never ocurred b4 - really fun to watch!

PS: Thx for the Light Skin hint - i will test it out!

vor 8 Stunden schrieb mielony:

The Skin looks great!

Unfortunately i play on a 4k screen with 125% UI scaling and the top portion of the UI is then expanded to much and leaves to little room below so there is to much info pushed outside from the screen.

At 110% UI scaling there is no issue but the UI is then to small for me.

But yeah, i like its look way better than a dark skin!

Happy Holidays!

20 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

Think it is worth adding this thread from WorkTheSpace as one of the biggest FM youtubers he holds some influence

That's not how it works tbh. Wouldn't matter if you're a YouTuber or someone who never posts, if you think you can detail an issue it will get looked at. A simple tweet, wouldn't get looked at

8 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

Not how what works? All I've done is added a post showing that someone who a lot of people follow and interact with is providing negative feedback on the game which they've not done in previous years. I think over the years they've tried avoiding to do this as best as they can as 1. It might put viewers off watching them if the creator themselves doesn't enjoy the game and 2. It is better for them to have a positive relationship with SI Games.

This year the game in their view has had so many issues that they've felt the need to be vocal about it when this does them no favours as content creators really. (Though long term it might if the game improves which is their aim)

He's not the only one too 

This is the football manager 'feedback' thread. Not the post bugs thread. So I am posting feedback from well known youtubers which may create discussion which is what the thread is for

Work the space flags stuff every year, as does Benjy. Both on here and on Twitter. It's not listened simply because they are creator, but because they are detailed on what they send SI. That's what makes it good and useful feedback. 

We don't need already known second hand feedback from YouTubers, they can post that themselves (and have done), doesn't need a YouTuber to start a discussion. What's needed is good first hand feedback

What would be good to see is the relative number of missed headers per game Vs that in real life. Because we definitely need mistakes. Question is are there too many 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Work the space flags stuff every year, as does Benjy. Both on here and on Twitter. It's not listened simply because they are creator, but because they are detailed on what they send SI. That's what makes it good and useful feedback. 

We don't need already known second hand feedback from YouTubers, they can post that themselves (and have done), doesn't need a YouTuber to start a discussion. What's needed is good first hand feedback

What would be good to see is the relative number of missed headers per game Vs that in real life. Because we definitely need mistakes. Question is are there too many 

I would say that the issue is the frequency of the same types of mistake. Typically for me it'll be the wide player taking a comically large first touch that gets countered, or a ball over the top that my defender deals with poorly. Usually neither "mistake" gets picked up by the ME as the player ratings aren't often affected.

I feel like so much is just poor animation. That's my feeling on this ME, the animations just aren't good enough.

I've posted quite a bit about in the bugs forum about penalty decisions. I'm convinced it's poor animation work, so whilst I'm not getting cheated by the game, it feels like I am based on what I see.

Edited by ajw10

Just to back up WTS' point about defending.

Spoiler

1777617057_ArsenalvAstonVilla_Review-2.thumb.png.93a94f8aae551c7559ba44b958698e41.png

Spoiler

2067029950_ManCityvArsenal_Pitch.thumb.png.0c691f66f2f7b3aef855e99d2f925f6f.png

The Villa game sums it up I think. Again, these games can absolutely happen but it's the frequency that it happens I'm finding irritating. It just feels inevitable that they will get a late goal from either a ball over the top or some other nonsense.

City game is less of an issue because again, these games happen. However, the first goal was down to a poor touch by Saka, the second was poor defending from Tomiyasu and the third was Enzo Fernandez standing with the ball at his feet for far too long (poor animation). Saka, Tomiyasu and Fernandez' mistakes weren't mentioned in the commentary and as far as I can see, their match ratings weren't affected by it. Saliba on the other hand? Got a 6.1 rating and I can't work out why.

There's just something not right about this game. I feel like it's a big step backwards from a very good FM 22

Every away game it feels like you start expecting a loss from somewhere. It’s ridiculous. Form goes out of the window, as does superior players etc, all because you’re not the home team.

it’s much more pronounced in the league than Europe or cup games, but the issue still remains.

Has this been acknowledged as an issue, because every season I’m winning 90% of home games and losing 90% of away games?

Edited by Nator

2 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Just to back up WTS' point about defending.

Reveal hidden contents

1777617057_ArsenalvAstonVilla_Review-2.thumb.png.93a94f8aae551c7559ba44b958698e41.png

Reveal hidden contents

2067029950_ManCityvArsenal_Pitch.thumb.png.0c691f66f2f7b3aef855e99d2f925f6f.png

The Villa game sums it up I think. Again, these games can absolutely happen but it's the frequency that it happens I'm finding irritating. It just feels inevitable that they will get a late goal from either a ball over the top or some other nonsense.

City game is less of an issue because again, these games happen. However, the first goal was down to a poor touch by Saka, the second was poor defending from Tomiyasu and the third was Enzo Fernandez standing with the ball at his feet for far too long (poor animation). Saka, Tomiyasu and Fernandez' mistakes weren't mentioned in the commentary and as far as I can see, their match ratings weren't affected by it. Saliba on the other hand? Got a 6.1 rating and I can't work out why.

There's just something not right about this game. I feel like it's a big step backwards from a very good FM 22

That's what I can't work out either. The game doesn't treat these poor touches or just dwelling on the ball as a mistake or anything. Its rarely if ever the home team that gets these animations. The away team just gets their skills nerfed far too much. You can go from being barcelona at home to Ibis Sport club when away in 3 days.

2 hours ago, ajw10 said:

I feel like so much is just poor animation. That's my feeling on this ME, the animations just aren't good enough.

I've posted quite a bit about in the bugs forum about penalty decisions. I'm convinced it's poor animation work, so whilst I'm not getting cheated by the game, it feels like I am based on what I see.

I agree with this fully.  There are situations in game where one or more of the animations just doesn't "look" right, a keeper reacting a certain way to the ball, the coming together of two players going after the ball, a defender marking an attacker then moving in an odd manner, it seems like what is going on is action A = Animiation A, Action B = Animation B, but then Act4ion C happens, and Action C does not have an appropriate animation yet, so the ME chooses to display Action A or B.  So while the match engine is good, and the data and calculations going on under the hood are correct, what's being presented visually isn't true to what the calculations are.

Im having such a dilemma lol. Couldnt afford the game before but now somehow i could make the choise to get it. Im rly hyped for it, u know new data, new start of the season and everything. I rly want to get it, but then i see the critics and also here the negative sides of it. Some points that are essetial for me, like how goals are being scored etc. I dunno, feel like i want it but dunno if its worth it now, as i could spend the money for more important things hehe. 

But maybe should try the demo perhaps. Im on a FM22 save with Real Madrid, some things are kinda annoying, its transferbudget and the crazy prices some players have, its ridiculous but atleast i see some nice combination goals etc. Dunno, its crazy to see how many players here are dissappointed with some parts of the game, and u can say what u want but thats a huge sign for us all. The game should be fun and not bring more frustration lol. Anyway should i go for it or? 

Edited by f.zaarour

2 hours ago, ajw10 said:

That's exactly how I feel since the latest ME was released. First ME showed a lot of promise, and I appreciated the chaotic style introduced and it was refreshing to be able to play more different tactical styles than compared to previous versions, although I felt possession football was lacking and is what needed a look at in the next ME update (with the obvious defensive flaws etc). But ever since the latest ME upgrade (or rather downgrade) it's definitely been a backward step in which your words of "something just isn't right" is bang on for me.

FM22 had its flaws, but I thoroughly enjoyed that version it was very fun to play, and a mix of 22 with the first 23 ME with the added tactical variety, increased difficulty and chaotic style (that should be more evident at lower levels of football) would at least for me, then feel about right for a good solid / balanced all-round game. I also agree the animations too is becoming more and more of a problem, and just watching the games on this latest ME isn't enjoyable at all.

1 hour ago, f.zaarour said:

Im having such a dilemma lol. Couldnt afford the game before but now somehow i could make the choise to get it. Im rly hyped for it, u know new data, new start of the season and everything. I rly want to get it, but then i see the critics and also here the negative sides of it. Some points that are essetial for me, like how goals are being scored etc. I dunno, feel like i want it but dunno if its worth it now, as i could spend the money for more important things hehe. 

But maybe should try the demo perhaps. Im on a FM22 save with Real Madrid, some things are kinda annoying, its transferbudget and the crazy prices some players have, its ridiculous but atleast i see some nice combination goals etc. Dunno, its crazy to see how many players here are dissappointed with some parts of the game, and u can say what u want but thats a huge sign for us all. The game should be fun and not bring more frustration lol. Anyway should i go for it or? 

You will get frustrated that's a promise with this edition. Will you see improved player interaction, nope it's in fact more illogical. Balanced transfer AI, nope, (though there is Davincid's mod you can use which helps)  Ridicoulous goals and the feeling of helpless over control of your team to mininise them, you can bet on it. I would personally wait until there is another update before jumping fom fm22 to 23 since there really isn't much of an upgrade in terms of features and the much lauded animations leave much to be desired. Yes the players look more fluid when passing and finishing, but in terms of carrying out your instructions/philosphy and in action response to situations when it comes to defending I'd say FM22 is much better in that aspect, especially away games where you will see more often than not find your whole entire team become sunday league players and you have to fine 10 outfield players for poor ratings.

I've been a bit critical of the hysteria on here but after many, many hours sunk into this iteration of FM I'm sad to have to agree with the criticism. 
I'm probably not your average player. I like to crack through seasons and have a limited PC. I play on 'Only Commentary' and no highlights. The ME changes and updates affect me behind a curtain. I've never been enraged by an IF/IW not cutting inside. Anything could be taking place on the pitch.

To be honest, this game has been a pricey data update for me. I would pay for that if it was cheaper and advertised as such. It won't happen though. The new features are appalling frankly. I toyed with the squad planner. I'll echo other comments and say that it's a lovely idea but poorly executed. I do not use it at all. The UEFA licensing is great but I don't think it should require a sponsor to have a decent looking UI.

There are endless little bugs that have been sitting there annoying me for at least 5 years. Really minor stuff like not being able to access the reserve and youth coaching staff screen if you're not set to take control of their training. B teams are a minefield with no hope of getting larger staff quotas.

I could go on but most of my gripes aren't FM22 specific, they've been there for years. 
I won't be dramatic and say I won't be buying another issue. I will. We all will. But I really hope SI are listening. We all love this game together. It's been neglected and could be so much better. 

6 hours ago, ajw10 said:

I would say that the issue is the frequency of the same types of mistake. Typically for me it'll be the wide player taking a comically large first touch that gets countered, or a ball over the top that my defender deals with poorly. Usually neither "mistake" gets picked up by the ME as the player ratings aren't often affected.

Because we rely on visual feedback, animation issues are as big an issue as any ME bug. After all, how can you react to information you can't trust. Overalls I find it my favourite FM for quite some time, but the biggest issue for me is feedback, visually, and statistically (in game)

5 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

I'll repeat something I said earlier in this thread, The animations are the essence of how we "read" the game (sort of like the old Groucho Marx line: "Who are you going to believe? Me or your own eyes?"). If the animation is off, then our reading of the match and our players will likewise be off. In which case, what's the point? I would like to believe that SI is taking this issue seriously, because it's at the heart of the much of the feedback we're seeing.

This basic principle underpins many problems outside the match engine as well.  What the game shows you -- 'this player isn't playing well' -- is contradicted by other systems -- "in light of my client's impressive form, I would like to open talks on a new contract".  Players achieving excellent results not being picked for national sides or drawing transfer interest is another example of the information the player can see not matching the simulation.

Absolute joke that the Premier League scheduling in May is only fixable by a new game. Just started to be successful and the reward is 10 games in May and told the only way to fix it is to throw away 8 seasons and start again. 

Love the ME but this has been a terrible release with "fixes" like this. It as bad in terms of injuries and tired players as the World Club Championship issues that still remained broken.

Yeah, there is a big discrepancy about what the game ai thinks is "good" and what i think is "good"!

That is why i never adhere to ingame staff hints or let scouts automatially search players bcs they come up with stuff that does not help and in quite some cases would make it worse.

The only trustworthy ingame message from the staff is about injuries be it inmatch or over the week.

Player exhaustion seems less an issue that in FM22 which baffles me but then i am in tier 5 now so cant tell for higher tiers.

My tactic is pretty much the same with the minor adjustments to the new items and rolechanges to 4 midfield player roles who seem to make a HUGE difference.

The 3D presentation is again most entertaining and quite more informative than ever b4 - i like that very much!

Edited by Etebaer

11 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

When you can easily make your own informed choice, by playing the demo, it would be only hurting yourself to not do so because of feedback in a limited forum for FM23.

Personally, I am really enjoying the game and the the Steam rating was very positive last I looked.

This forum is just a very small part of the FM community. FM23 is, imo, much the same game as FM22 with a much better ME.

By all means read feedback, but don't use it as your sole decision maker. The demo is a very valuable tool to make your own opinion.

One of the reasons FM23 is so unsatisfying is that the transfer market is so annoying. As just one example I've just been through a deadline day where Juventus have systematically come in for each of my AM or ST options (used in first team rotation) including my main striker and top scorer - not even with transfer offers, which I may have considered at the right price, but as loans.  Why on earth would I want to loan out my main striker to a Champions League rival in the winter window.

Other than that I got offers for U21 players (mainly locked £0 loan offers of course) and someone picked up an out of contract player.  But did I get any real transfer offers? No; not one. Interest in transfer listed players? Don't be stupid ...

And don't get me started on 'Offer to Clubs' - inevitably comes back with a message saying club is interested but does not have wage budget (EPL wages, right?)  - so give me a counter offer; if you're interested tell  me what wage contribution you want; don't make me guess what you might afford and have to offer out again.  And that's an AI general comment - NEGOTIATE!!!  Stop with all the locked bids.

Edited by rp1966

15 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

I was also reading this forum from day 1, everyday. Was hesitating if I should buy it or not. I bought it after the first big update, never looked back. 

I am really enjoying it, so I suggest dont read too much in those responses and just buy it, its still great game with some smaller bugs.

15 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

That's exactly how I feel since the latest ME was released. First ME showed a lot of promise, and I appreciated the chaotic style introduced and it was refreshing to be able to play more different tactical styles than compared to previous versions, although I felt possession football was lacking and is what needed a look at in the next ME update (with the obvious defensive flaws etc). But ever since the latest ME upgrade (or rather downgrade) it's definitely been a backward step in which your words of "something just isn't right" is bang on for me.

FM22 had its flaws, but I thoroughly enjoyed that version it was very fun to play, and a mix of 22 with the first 23 ME with the added tactical variety, increased difficulty and chaotic style (that should be more evident at lower levels of football) would at least for me, then feel about right for a good solid / balanced all-round game. I also agree the animations too is becoming more and more of a problem, and just watching the games on this latest ME isn't enjoyable at all.

I’m beginning to agree. It’s fun but silly. Things are happening that are either the result of poor graphical representation or odd ME programming. I feel, as a manager/ game player, that my decisions are more irrelevant than ever and the game happens despite, and not because of, ones tactics.

I don't think we can blame it on the animation every time. There are persistent issues with the defensive module and they aren't new.

Yes, the glaring issues that we had in the beta version ( a.k.a. release version ) were patched, but the recurrent ones are still there.

I don't think this is an animation problem.

There is a long ball - but not an over the top ball where the defenders should get in a pace contest with the attacker. 

This a long ball on the head of the target man, the defender is close but makes a mistake. Ok. Could happen. 

What is wrong with this situation - in my opinion, is the behavior of the FBs and the other CB. There is no cover for the possible mistake. In real life the RB and the other CB are closing in and dropping a little when the long ball is fired, and also the CMs are getting back for the second ball recovery. The LB should also close in for the other striker. 

But, as we can see the RB is more concerned about his position closer to the sideline - moving away when the long ball is fired, the other CB is closing in just a bit, then moves away! and the LB is having a break on the left side.

There is a lack of communication ( not sure if this is even implemented in some form ) and an imbalance in the decision tree between the position, ball following, man mark, threat of the entire defensive module. 

Again, this was visible in FM22 (at least).

And again, this is happening too often imho.