Golden Boot Winner?

thefmveteran86

Golden Boot winner   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Golden boot this year?

• Messi
    • Ronaldo
    • Mbappe
    • Lukaku
    • Neymar
    • Other (comment below)

Who do we think will win the golden boot this year come the final on December 18th? Also do we think the record of 13 will be broken? had Norway been in the finals I pretty much no doubt Haaland would have a crack at it or maybe he'll get a chance in 2026? 

As an aside, I was having a look at the players that have already scored a few at previous WCs and who might get somewhere near on the all time list.

Miroslav Klose        16
Ronaldo               15
Gerd Muller           14
Just Fontaine         13
Pele                  12
Jurgen Klinsmann      11
Sandor Kocsis         11
Gabriel Batistuta     10
Teofilo Cubillas      10
Grzegorz Lato         10
Gary Lineker          10
THOMAS MULLER         10
Helmut Rahn           10
------------------------
CRISTIANO RONALDO      7
LUIS SUAREZ            7
HARRY KANE             6
LIONEL MESSI           6
NEYMAR                 6
EDINSON CAVANI         5
ROMELU LUKAKU          5
IVAN PERISIC           5
ANTOINE GRIEZMANN      4
JAVIER HERNANDEZ       4
KYLIAN MBAPPE          4
XHERDAN SHAQIRI        4

I mean Klose can probably sleep easy for this year, but there are a few more here that could easily get to 10+ overall.

On top of that you've got Thomas Muller and Harry Kane that could potentially win the Golden Boot twice... which nobody has ever done before.

If we're talking records, Cristiano Ronaldo is bidding to become the only player in history to score in five different World Cups.

Currently four players that have scored in four tournaments;

• Pele - 58, 62, 66, 70
  • Uwe Seeler - 58, 62, 66, 70
  • Miroslav Klose - 02, 06, 10, 14
  • Cristiano Ronaldo - 06, 10, 14, 18

And although Messi should be appearing in his fifth WC tournament as well as Ronaldo, Messi didn't score in 2010.

Edited by Rob1981

1 hour ago, Haguey said:

Anyone played in more than 5 tournaments? Anyone with a chance to this time?

No (regarding playing more than 5 tournaments). Carbajal (Mexico) and Matthäus are some of the ones that played five WCs.

Edited by PMLF

Rafael Marquez of Mexico also made it five tournaments in 2018. Then you’ve got Buffon who was in five squads but only played in four tournaments because he was an unused sub first time around.

I think the only people who can play in a 5th tournament this time are Messi, Ronaldo, Guardado and Ramos. Although I don’t know if Ramos is expected to make the Spain squad?? Or if he has finally got too old. And there’s the Mexican keeper Ochoa who can make it five squads... but like Buffon he was an unused sub initially.

Edited by Rob1981

Also worth a mention on the subject of World Cup longevity... Faryd Mondragón of Colombia I think is the only player to feature in different WC squads over a 20-year period (1994-2014)

So technically that’s a span of six World Cups to everyone else’s five, except for the fact that Colombia didn’t qualify every time. I’m sure Mondragón is the only player to play in six different qualifying campaigns though.

Emerson Leão could be the only Brazilian to be in five tournaments, he was in the 1970, 1974, 1978 and 1986 tournaments but missed the 1982 WC…Several have four tournanents, including Ronaldo and Pelé.

Edited by PMLF

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Also worth a mention on the subject of World Cup longevity... Faryd Mondragón of Colombia I think is the only player to feature in different WC squads over a 20-year period (1994-2014)

So technically that’s a span of six World Cups to everyone else’s five, except for the fact that Colombia didn’t qualify every time. I’m sure Mondragón is the only player to play in six different qualifying campaigns though.

Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer played in the qualification for the 1994, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 world cups but did not do so for 1998 world cup. He played in the 2006 and 2010 world cups but retired in 2013 so did not play in 2014.

6 hours ago, Mahzun_Savas said:

Luca Modric played in 2006 but Croatia didn't qualify in 2010 so this year is his 4th world cup.

Yeah. That was the only WC we didn't qualify for. Also missed only one Euros, in 2000.

10 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Magnificent name also

On 11/11/2022 at 15:49, Harryseaess said:

Does he even start? Won't Brennan Johnson be ahead of him?

... twas a joke ... but I suspect Kieffer will get more game time in the striker role .... johnson hasn't got the best record for goals and while more mobile etc, Kieffer is more of a presence and a nuisance to the big time defenders in the WC who will have to deal with him and the pace and trickery on the wings